How did this happen?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

How did this happen?

Post by Strider »

After seeing ScreenUsed's screen grab of the ribbon on Indy's hat being on the wrong side, I took some grabs of my own.

Here's the pic where it's off.

And here, on the bridge, it's right.

Any ideas how this may've happened? I've noticed the ribbon is off in some of the early scenes in the village, too.

Regards,
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Editors often flip the film (creating a reverse-image) to provide a better-looking, or more balanced picture, in accordance with the director's wishes. This is one of many such examples in the Indy trilogy. Aside from the hat ribbon, other giveaways include shots when Indy's shoulder strap is going from left-to-right instead of vice-versa, and having the whip and holster on the wrong side of his belt.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Interesting! :-k I will have to watch the films again, looking for things like this. Thanks for the heads-up!

Regards,
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

For any SW fans out there, there's a rather famous pic from RotJ that was reversed like that. If you look at the shots of Boba Fett in Jabba's palace, the antenna on his helmet is almost always on the wrong side. :junior: -IJ
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Yeah, that happens quite often in a lot of movies. There's a flipped shot in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' where all of Jack's "hair decorations" are on the wrong side. They filmed it then realized that during the battle between the Dauntless and the Black Pearl they had Jack moving to exit the wrong side of the Pearl, the opposite side of where the Dauntless was. Flipping the film is a heck of a lot more practical than reshooting :lol: The scene where Indy rides the horse out of the tent in Raiders is like that, too. His bag is on the wrong side.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's especially nice when you get up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning. Instead of starting the day over, just flip the print! :lol: :wink:

bink
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Bink!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Just watch the curve of Ford's nose. That's the surefire way to tell if a shot is flipped in Indy.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

Shawnkara wrote:Yeah, that happens quite often in a lot of movies. There's a flipped shot in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' where all of Jack's "hair decorations" are on the wrong side. They filmed it then realized that during the battle between the Dauntless and the Black Pearl they had Jack moving to exit the wrong side of the Pearl, the opposite side of where the Dauntless was. Flipping the film is a heck of a lot more practical than reshooting .
GREAT example! I remember that from the DVD Commentary.

In the EPIC Lord of the Rings Trilogy, it happens quite alot too (like Aragorn's scabbard appearing on the wrong hip in different shots). Sometimes, as said above, just simply flipping a shot can be a lot easier than going back and re-shooting (which takes a lot more work).
Canadiana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Canadiana Jones »

IndianaJones wrote:For any SW fans out there, there's a rather famous pic from RotJ that was reversed like that. If you look at the shots of Boba Fett in Jabba's palace, the antenna on his helmet is almost always on the wrong side. :junior: -IJ
Also in ROTJ, Lando's outfit is flipped every time there is a close up shot while he talks to Han in the hanger bay before the battle of Endor.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Seems that also Boba Fett in Jabba's palace was reversed (i think it was the thermal detonator scene ... yo-tho yo-tho ...remember? :lol: )
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

They can fix that in Post Production with Digital effects. Can't they?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Renderking Fisk wrote:They can fix that in Post Production with Digital effects. Can't they?
Yes they could i suppose but i think these optical mistakes are not so relevant.