Whip Care

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

DavieM
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Whip Care

Post by DavieM »

I have read so many different things on this subject. One school of thought seems to be do not get your whip wet under any circumstances and others seem to think that getting a whip wet is not really a big deal...

I live in the Uk where, yes, it rains a lot. I'm not talking about actually practising when it's raining, but quite often the ground is wet resulting in the fall and end of the thong becoming quite damp.

Any advice???

Dave
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Go outside, practice, go inside, let whip dry, medium to heavy coat of dressing on thong, heavy coat on fall, let it soak over night, wipe off excess dressing, repeat...
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

When the leather gets wet, it can dry the leather out, which isn't good for the whip. But if you choose to practice with a leather whip while outside, be sure to Pecards the begeebers out of the whip when you are done. I would recommend using a nylon whip if you're going to practice when it's wet outside.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I don't think I've ever 'read' the word begeebers before! -only heard it.

I usually don't crack whips when the grass is wet just because the extra weight of the water changes the handling of the whip--usually for the worse. I've been cracking whips for a while, though, so I might be more particular than others.

If you can deal with the change in weight, by all means follow The Edge's advice. When I do crack whips in wet conditions I make an extra effort to practice only cracks that keep the whip off the ground, but most of these cracks aren't "beginner" cracks. Lately I've been trying to learn to do the 'four corners' as well as Paul Nolan. It's not fair though, since he has a Fraser stock whip to use and I have to wait for two months before I'll have a Fraser whip.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
HOME OF THE IOAB WHIP! (end of plug :wink: )
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Hi Dave

It is not a good idea to continually let your whip get wet and then dry out, because overtime the tannins in the leather eventually break down which can cause the leather to rot. This is what I was told by an expert. Which to me sounded like he new what he was on about.

If i'm going out side just for a bit of a crack (sometimes I can't resist the urge :) ) and the grass is wet I just put a bit of dressing on the whips before I go out.

Adam.

What size stockwhip are you trying to learn the "four corners" with?

Kind Regards

Simon Martin
www.whipmaker.com.au
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Simon,

I'm pretty sure you're right about the whips 'rotting' with too much exposure. I suppose it comes down to considering how much the person wants to use the whip versus how long they want it to last. I think a good whip used in harsh conditions, but put away dry and greased, should still give several years of service. I'd like to guess that if a whip were used in only wet conditions that it's life might be cut in half or so.

For the four corners, I've been training my right and left hands with 6 ft. nylon cow whips. I've also tried it with 8 and 9 ft. bullwhips but I get the feeling that I'm only tearing my shoulders apart. :roll:

Of course I'd eventually like to do Hassett's four corners, but I think that's a few years away. I've also been working on the Kahona and doing volleys in one hand while doing drum rolls with the other.

Oh, BTW, I tool a look at your website. I really liked the look of that high-plait yellow and black stockwhip. The patterns in the lash looked really cool.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
DavieM
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DavieM »

Thanks everyone, think that about answers my question. I'll be sure to Pecard the begeebers out of it when I'm whipping in the wet :D

Dave
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Sry to steal the post but speaking of cracking techniques, my whip will be arriving in the following weeks (end of june) and id like to know where can i find tutorials, videos or something about cracking to practice it on summer.

Thanks guys, regards.
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Hi Adam

The 6ft whip is a great choice. I started using 4 1/2 footers but it is to fast.
I still havn'et mastered it completely yet though even with a 6footer. Practice make perfect they say :)

I have just got the hang of the "Death March" which envoles volleys and drum rolls.

That yellow and black stockwhip you said you like hasn't sold yet so it might eventually go up on ebay.

By the way your whips look great. Keep up the good work.

Luisiana Jones

I have a Begginners Whipcracking DVD which is available in NTSC or PAL format.

Also while I think of it... How do you get recognized as a vendor on here?

Kind Regards

Simon
www.whipmaker.com.au
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

Hi
Yes ,Simon I was wondering about the "Vendor" Tag also. As I have been making a few bullwhips of late .
Congrats on your effort at Sydney this year .

Cheers

Chris Barr
www.deadringer.com.au
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the congratulations.

By the way I have admired your work for a while. You do very neat work. I especially like your bosals. Something for me to aspire to.

Hopefully somebody can answer the "Vendor" tag question.

Kind Regards

Simon Martin
www.whipmaker.com.au