Sizing help required for US Wings Indy

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Sizing help required for US Wings Indy

Post by HigHurtenflurst »

Hi there, new guy here with some questions.... Seems like the right place. At the risk of repeating an existing thread here, I'm looking for help from US Wings Indy owners vis-a-vis what size I should order for my height/build.

I am 6'2", 200 lbs, 36" waist, long arms and torso. By their reckoning, I should order XL, which will probably be adequate for the arms, but which I fear will probably be too large for my relatively modest girth.

What I am looking for are other US Wings Indy owners of comperable dimensions and their recommendations/experiences for sizing.

Thanks!
GMoore
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by GMoore »

Hi there,

What is your actual chest size ?

It's quite simple, actually. Just order one size smaller than they recommend. My advice would be a Large. Or possibly Medium (if you want a snug fit).

Don't buy the XL.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Welcome to COW! GMoore is right the XL would be too big. I don't have a US Wings, but from what I've read they tend to run big.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

At the risk of bringing an old flame war into a new thread, I have to say it. I would advise STRONGLY against the US Wings jacket. There have been several issues lately with this jacket. Those lamb Indy jackets are being offered so cheap because of the hides they received. The jackets are being made with an ugly, in-accurate seam that runs vertically right down the full length of the back panel. The sleeves are also being made with a three-piece construction method. That jacket you see on the site, the one that alomst looks like it came right out of the movie screen, is NOT what you will get, especially in a larger size. With shipping and the exchange rate you will pay $300.00 for a Wested, THE Indy jacket. You'll pay $200.00 + $20.00 shipping for a Wings. Spend the extra $80.00 and do it right. Buy a Wested.
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Shawnkara wrote: Spend the extra $80.00 and do it right. Buy a Wested.
Hmm. The more I poke around here, the more I am inclined to suspect you might be right. Sounds like a lot of negative press about US Wings. The pics on the website look pretty good, but if that's not what I'm gonna get...... Especially with a no return policy for foreign orders.....

This leads to another question that's probably been beat to death around here (but I'll ask anyway): Which leather would you recommend from Wested to be the most durable/attractive/screen accurate?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I'd say goat would be the most durable and water repellant, but lamb is the screen accurate one. Lamb is also softer and drapes differently, but both hides in authentic color is accurate in terms of what you see on screen. Horse is a new offering you might wanna check out too. The first batch had a hint of red in it, but shots of newer ones look almost distressed.
Check the archives and see what you dig up before you decide on what to go for. ;) And if you'd like, ask Peter if he could send you some samples.

Regards,
Swindiana
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

The authentic brown goat is a great choice. I've had my auth brown goat for about 6 months. I love it. It was very soft right out of the box. To me the goatskins is like a super tough lamb.
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the help guys! I don't think I've been to such a friendly and enjoyable forum in a long time!

Cheers!
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Sizing help required for US Wings Indy

Post by lowmileage »

HigHurtenflurst wrote: I'm looking for help from US Wings Indy owners vis-a-vis what size I should order for my height/build.

I am 6'2", 200 lbs, 36" waist, long arms and torso. By their reckoning, I should order XL, which will probably be adequate for the arms, but which I fear will probably be too large for my relatively modest girth.

Thanks!
I am a semi-expert (that and a buck whatever will get me to Times Square) on USW. Their weight sizing charts are way, way big.

The medium I just returned was too big for me with a 39.5" chest (5'10", 170 lbs). It was 4" larger in the chest than I wanted and at least 1/2" on each shoulder. I will receive my "Small" replacement tomorrow which has 2 piece sleeves and only the horizontal between the shoulders and I will report on sizing.

At 6'2", you might require a Tall and I don't know if they offer it on this deal. It's tough with only a S M L XL sizing instead of numbers. At 6'2" the most you'll need is a medium and for a correct fit (in my book) you should have a chest of at least 42" (43-44" would be better) and that may still be too big!

And yes, USW says the lamb is a small animal and you'll probably get a 2 piece vertical back on anything larger than a small. I also have a USW #44 A2 Horse that I bought in conjunction with a #44 A2 Goat. Suprisingly the Goat was too snug at that point for my liking and the Horse had a bit more room. Probably more a function of the hides than the sizing. I returned the Goat and kept the HH. Now at 20 lbs less, I wear it in winter layered underneath for a fit.
Last edited by lowmileage on Fri May 06, 2005 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I agree that Wested's lamb and goat are very similar in appearance and color. Goat is tougher and tends to have a more pronounced grain. The lamb will break in much faster and become "screen accurate" more rapidly. With these two leathers it's a matter of taste. The goat will be heavier and would be better suited for colder weather. The lamb has about the same weight and feel of a quilted and lined flanel. Whichever way you go I would highly reccommend getting your jacket with the cotton body lining and SATIN in the sleeves. I've only owned one Wested with cotton in the sleeves and getting them off and on is something like a wrestling match. The satin slides over shirts/sweaters much easier.

Also on the Wings jacket....
Since you're overseas the shipping would be much more than $20.00. This makes the Wested an even better bargain. And, yes, Wings has a really harsh return policy for overseas orders. WESTED is the BEST choice in any case, hands down. Given your location, it's even better!
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Shawnkara wrote: The goat will be heavier and would be better suited for colder weather. The lamb has about the same weight and feel of a quilted and lined flanel. Whichever way you go I would highly reccommend getting your jacket with the cotton body lining and SATIN in the sleeves. I've only owned one Wested with cotton in the sleeves and getting them off and on is something like a wrestling match. The satin slides over shirts/sweaters much easier.
I can wear my goat up to about 60 degrees. I have the all cotton lining. I don't have any problems with it. One thing I really like about it is that it won't stick to your arm when it starts to get warm. :wink:
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

Can you wear the other leathers in warmer than 60 degrees? How much warmer can you comfortably wear a lamb jacket in? Also, what about cow, to what temp are these comfortable in?

Thanks
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

For me personally, 60 degress is about the max on any leather jacket. I would think that the cow would be compairable to the goat, or maybe just a little warmer.
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

I was thinking that too, that above 60 is too warm for leather. I thought the lamb may be a bit cooler as folks write about wearing theirs in the warmer climats, but for me once it gets warm I want to be in as cool clothes as I can..time for the cottens to come out.
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

To get back to sizing, do you really think that you need to take a size smaller in the US Wings indy than what they recommend? They have a cow indy in small on the ebay store for $170....if it wasn't for the two piece sleeves I would be very tempted, plus if you buy from the ebay store there are only store credits issued, a bit risky unless you know there is something you will like...still, a great price on a cow jacket.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I really can't say. I've never had one of their jackets. But many people say that their jackets run big. :?
shadwell55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My US Wings experience

Post by shadwell55 »

I ordered the US Wings Indy Jacket in Goat in early March. Got it quickly. The grain was nice, but this jacket was HEAVY. Heavier than any jacket I have owned and it was hot. Our weather was in the 50s and I put it on and walked around outside with only a dress shirt on and broke a sweat. So don't expect the light fly-around Indy Jacket from screen.

I wear a 50 regular coat. They suggested I buy an XXL. It was snug. It fit mind you, but to sit down with the jacket zipped was NOT comfortable at all. I will say that the sleeves did fit almost exactly, but the rest of the jacket was snug.

I sent it back and place my order for a wested today.

Plus it took them almost 4 weeks after receiving my jacket to credit my account, and the last two weeks of that I emailed every day and phoned evey other day.

They're right. Send a little more and get a Wested. My order is placed.
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for your help guys, I made up my mind last night and ordered a Wested.

Now the hard part begins -- waiting!