Leather Concessionaires...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Leather Concessionaires...

Post by Alabama Jones »

Picked up an old (early 90s) Raiders Lamb by Leather Concessionaires via Evilbay. Haven't got it yet, but it looks like a nice used jacket I can beat around in, and distress (while my new auth lamb ages naturally and gracefully :wink: )

So, all I know is that LC was/is Wested? Anybody got the scoop?

Will report back in when I get it. Here are some pics...

Ad: (Leather Concessionaires (which became Wested) Indiana Jones jacket. Aged jacket pruchased in the early 1990's. Size is 42. Back length is 22 5/8" and sleeve length is 24 3/4". Lambskin. )
Last edited by Alabama Jones on Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, that's the original name the Wested was working under when Raiders came out. Shortly after, they changed their names. Well done on grabbing a great piece of original Wested material there!!! I believe it's from the 80's, though. High regards! Michaelson
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

hmmmm...with Michaelson's revalation, I dunno if you wanna 'beat around in' and 'distress' an original pre-Wested Wested.

If it were me, I think I'd display it, more than abuse it. But that's just me..I actually have a Wested hung on a wall as art.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Yep, that's the original name the Wested was working under when Raiders came out. Shortly after, they changed their names. Well done on grabbing a great piece of original Wested material there!!! I believe it's from the 80's, though. High regards! Michaelson
Thanks Michaelson. Well, the seller said he purchased it in the early 90's, so you may be right. Although I've heard some negative things about the jackets from the 80's, like they had shoulder pads? Guess I'll find out when it gets here.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Indiana Gater wrote:hmmmm...with Michaelson's revalation, I dunno if you wanna 'beat around in' and 'distress' an original pre-Wested Wested.

If it were me, I think I'd display it, more than abuse it. But that's just me..I actually have a Wested hung on a wall as art.
Good point.

Guess its an excuse to get yet another jacket to distress and beat around in. :wink: 8)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I was watching this auction closely. It looked to me as though you may have beaten out our Indiana Texas Girl, but I could be wrong.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Boy, if THAT'S right, you better beat it before she comes in today. :shock: :wink: Regard. Michaelson
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Zoinks! :shock: :shock:

*runs like ####*

-----------------------------

EDIT: So ... about that BUDDY OF MINE that got that jacket off Ebay. :oops:
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

WEll just to say that leather jacket looks really neat, congrats on your win on ebay :wink:
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Post by ij1936 »

Hey Alabama, you bought that from me! :D Thank you.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Alabama, you might want to send me that jacket until the heat is off. Trust me. :wink:
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*
Last edited by MK on Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

ij1936 wrote:Hey Alabama, you bought that from me! :D Thank you.
Cool. 8) I can't wait to get it.

Indiana Jess wrote:Alabama, you might want to send me that jacket until the heat is off. Trust me. :wink:
Good thinking Jess! Give me your .... hey ... wait a minute... *shifty eyes*

Nice try Lao Che! :P :lol:
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

It was Bink's idea. I would never take advantage of a fellow gearhead like that. 8-[
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uhhhh.....never mind. :roll: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Jess is right. It was my idea. But only because Michaelson told me to do it. 8-[

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uhhhhhh.....never mind again.... =; Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

What? O:) Michaelson, you know what a trustworthy fellow I am.

EDITED BY MICHAELSON: :twisted: :wink:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Indiana Jess wrote:It was Bink's idea. I would never take advantage of a fellow gearhead like that. 8-[
And you call yourself a scoundrel. Bink must be ashamed of you - go and stand in the corner practise being nasty to the wall.

Ken
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

I was watching that one also, went a bit too high for me though. It shall make a great keepsake for sure!

IJ
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

agent5 wrote:I was watching this auction closely. It looked to me as though you may have beaten out our Indiana Texas Girl, but I could be wrong.
Yep that was me...

Alabama, we were doing a last minute bidding war weren't we? Let us know how you like it...detailed report would be great so that I can live vicariously through you. LOL!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Indiana Ken wrote:
Indiana Jess wrote:It was Bink's idea. I would never take advantage of a fellow gearhead like that. 8-[
And you call yourself a scoundrel. Bink must be ashamed of you - go and stand in the corner practise being nasty to the wall.

Ken
Ken, you didn't expect me to come right out and tell him I was lying to him, did you? ... #-o Inside voice jess, inside voice. Alabama disregard this post, I'm not really posting this, it's someone else - honest.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

MK wrote:That is a very nice find you have there. The inside pocket is post Raiders. Hmmmm......
Yeah, it looks like a LC inside pocket.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

agent5 wrote:
I was watching this auction closely. It looked to me as though you may have beaten out our Indiana Texas Girl, but I could be wrong.

Yep that was me...

Alabama, we were doing a last minute bidding war weren't we?

I knew it. I was waiting to put in a $60 bid when it shot up quickly after you two started the last miunte bidding. I kept refreshing and it kept going up and up and up. :lol: If the pockets weren't so close to the bottom of the jacket, I'd surely have outbid you both. :wink: Looks like a nice, well worn jacket.

IJ1936,
So that was YOU in Chicago Heights. Man, I live over in Posen at 147th and Kedzie. You're only about 15 minutes from me. I was thinking that if I'd won the jacket I could just pick it up. Woulda been nice.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

NOW that is the jacket I've been looking for since I saw Raiders !
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:

You were good ... you were very very good. :wink:
Let us know how you like it...detailed report would be great so that I can live vicariously through you. LOL!
Thanks for being so gracious my dear. I will report back with the details.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Alabama Jones wrote:
Indiana Texas-girl wrote:

You were good ... you were very very good. :wink:
Well, I guess not good enough...LOL! :lol: Congrats by the way...I'm just glad it ended up in someone's hands that can appreciate its history.

If you ever decide to sell it, let me know.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

I hate last minute bids at ebay, in fact i hate to bid, buy it now forever!! :wink:

Hey its just my opinion :D
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Agent 5 Yeah that was me! Maybe I should have listed the jacket(s) for sale here first! Oh well! I'm probably going to selling a Cooper A2 and myTOD when my new jackets arrive from Wested. :D
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote: Well, I guess not good enough...LOL! :lol: Congrats by the way...I'm just glad it ended up in someone's hands that can appreciate its history.

Thanks. If I ever do, you'll be the first to know. :wink:

ij1936 wrote:Agent 5 Yeah that was me! Maybe I should have listed the jacket(s) for sale here first! Oh well! I'm probably going to selling a Cooper A2 and myTOD when my new jackets arrive from Wested. :D
'36, I'm glad you didn't. :D What new jackets did you order?
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

I ordered another TOD and a LC in a 46.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Alabama Jones wrote:
Indiana Texas-girl wrote: Well, I guess not good enough...LOL! :lol: Congrats by the way...I'm just glad it ended up in someone's hands that can appreciate its history.

Thanks. If I ever do, you'll be the first to know. :wink:
Much appreciated!
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

You lost today ITG, but that doesn't mean you have to like it.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah, in this sort of race there's no silver medal for the finishing second.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

ij1936 wrote:Hey Alabama, you bought that from me! :D Thank you.
*got it*

Dude! I love this jacket! Its like getting a jacket straight from the set of Raiders via UPS. 8) Did you distress it yourself?

I will post a full report later, including how it compares with my new Wested 2005.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Wow, two days. That was quick.
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Yes I did and I'm glad to hear that you like it! 8) I remember sitting in front of the T&V watching Raiders with the jacket spread out on a card table with sandpaper in hand and distressing it. I made sure that I did no damage to the stitching. I think my family thought I was :shock: (and still am ) a bit nuts! :D We are probably the only group of people who will but a brand new leather jacket, spending a couple hundred dollars, and then (for lack of an accurate word) RUIN the niceness of the jacket! Most people who spend that kind of money do the opposite: the hardly wear it and when they do, they are so careful as not to damage it in any way!
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

ij1936 wrote:Yes I did and I'm glad to hear that you like it! 8) I remember sitting in front of the T&V watching Raiders with the jacket spread out on a card table with sandpaper in hand and distressing it. I made sure that I did no damage to the stitching. I think my family thought I was :shock: (and still am ) a bit nuts! :D
You did an awesome job! Hmmm ... no acetone eh?

Ha, guess we're all a bit nuts here. Make that we no nuts WE CWAZY! :lol:
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Naw! No acetone...I like my fingers to have feeling :lol:
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

^^ Ha! :D

The Report: I could not be more pleased with this jacket. Its a lighter weight ... thinner than the new Wested, which is how it appears to me onscreen. Its also shorter, particulary in the back than my new one (coming to just ABOVE the rear pockets) and more tapered/snug at the waist ... again how RAIDERS jacket looks on screen to me. The collar is smaller than the new jacket, again more authentic to me.

Color and Style: From '36's photos I was expecting it to be darker, but its actually very close to the authentic color of my new one, adding to the theory that these jackets photograph and FILM darker than they are. The pockets are smaller, (and yes I know the placement is wrong, being too close to the bottom, but it does not bother me) including the inside pocket and the warmers. The zipper is noticably flimsy, not near as sturdy as the new one. I have a feeling, though, its the way they were in the film. There's also no inside leather facing on the zipper side like there is on my new one.

Action Pleats: Only real problem with my new Wested. The pleats on this jacket are much smaller, more shallow and do not bulge open. They look, to me, like the pleats on the film jacket. I am going to order them like this on my next try.

So yes, a few negatives, but they're far outweighed by the positives of this jacket. The novelty of having a "pre-wested" jacket with the added bonus of an excellent distressing job is priceless and just oozes RAIDERS. As I said its almost like finding an old jacket from the films or from the 1930's that fits! I must confess, that I do like it more than my new Wested, in terms of fit (strange) and the authentic look of the films. I'll still enjoy the new one, although it goes straight to the bench as a dress /special occasion jacket ... possibly to be traded later.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Could not find the auction for that jacket. What size is it?

and let's see some pics of you in it !
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I am asking an honest question here...but could it be a movie jacket? Is there any history you can provide from the seller?
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ij1936 »

Honest answer: I bought the jacket through Lee Keppler in the early 1990's. I gave him the size and off he ran. I made no special requests for pockets or anything of that nautre. As fas as I was concerned it was a Raiders jacket. It is actually the second Leather Concessionaires I had bought through Lee. The first one was cowhide-I think. I gave that one to my neice. The jacket was brand new and I aged it myself using various grits on sandpaper and a lot of patience. I have had it in storage for the better part of ten years. After I started lifting weights and drinking mass amounts of protein shakes, my upper body filled out and I did not like the way the jacket fit me anymore, so I ordered another one from Lee. I wore that one up until about 2003 when I was able to order directly from Wested thanks to the internet. While I like the Raiders jacket, I came to LOVE the TOD jacket. I think that the jacket in the movie has a better look than that of Raiders and it really shows what kind of a life our favorite adventurer has outside of the university. I purchased two TOD's in 2003, sold the brand new, back up one on e-bay earlier this month and have ordered another TOD and a LC in a larger size. I am still wearing the one TOD from 2003 which has been aged to within an inch of its life. So there is really no history to the Leather Concessionaires Raiders jacket.