AB arrives - 16 year quest ENDS

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

AB arrives - 16 year quest ENDS

Post by IndyFrench »

Yes - Steve Delk delivered. After that first fedora plopped on my head in the summer of 1989, the search for the Raiders fedora ended this afternoon. It's been quite the adventure and for those of you who've been on it with me all these years and listened to me rant (MK, Sergei, Michaelson, Fedora, you know who you are) I can only say that it was worth all the wait and frustration.

This being the ninth and final Indy fedora, it is funny that even with the obvious quality out of the box, the human brain does not immediately like change. After three long years with the Akubra Federation, I don't think my mind was prepared and when first placed on my head, my mind said, "Wait a sec...This isn't right....Or is it?"

In went the Raiders DVD, pause went the remote, shot by shot. The AB matched up perfectly, the Akubra did not. So I went back to the mirror with the AB on and stared at it for a good twenty minutes when I should have been doing work on my thesis. The brim had pancacked slightly in shipment so the hands went to work and soon the hat started to take on its Cairo self again.

The workmanship is unlike anything I have ever experienced with a hat before. As a veteran of the Dorfman and the Stetson, an outright victim of the Peters Bros., and a die-hard fan of the Akubra, my eyes are a little more trained and paranoid than they probably should be.

I kept telling myself how weathered my Akubra was, and how this hat would eventually take on the same look, only 100% better. See, I WEAR my hats in all conditions, everywhere, so this probably won't take long. Needless to say, this hat is the one to beat. A little more coaxing of the brim and a few good bouts with the elements and this will easily be the perfect Raiders fedora - hands down.

The picture I took for this post isn't the best and doesn't give a good idea of what I am talking about, but I plan to get some better pictures as soon as my camera battery recharges and the weather is agreeable.

It's really poetic justice that it finally took an Indy fan to recreate the Raiders fedora - and it's even more poetic that for many veteran Indy fans like myself, their quest will end at the hands of this other Indy fan.

Steve, it's been a long road since the Indyfan days and I know the road before that was even longer. Thank you so very much for everything you have done, all the money you have invested, the time, and the energy. This really is a quest come to an end.

With all sincerity,
Michael French

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

It looks great, Michael. You have a very nice reverse taper going on. Well done and enjoy. ABs are the best hats I have ever seen or have been proud enough to own. :D
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Hey Mike, so are you thinking about rolling it yet? :-)
It looks really good on you, mate. :tup:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Nice AdventureBilt, Mike! Mine gets better the more I wear it. I'm glad you've found what you've been looking for all these years, fortune and glory. :wink:

bink
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Rolling it? Hmm... Well Neo, you and Steve had to convince me to sit on it, which I am now doing with more gusto as you can see from the photos. Rolling it? How do you do that safely without ripping the liner or sweat stitching....let alone narc the ribbon???

You show me the way and I'll show you a rolled hat....as soon as I can snag a full bottle of Jack.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyFrench wrote:....as soon as I can snag a full bottle of Jack.

Mike

Don't look at ME! :shock: :wink: Oh, for a fellow Tennessean, sure....Regards. Michaelson
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Mike, I'm not sure how to roll it yet- it sounds dangerous- I'll go first if you want. :wink:
We were discussing it elsewhere- and I mentioned that Nadoolman says after she and Ford sat on it, she took it in her hands and rolled it up.
I think Dakota came in and said he'd done that with good results- as I recall even Fedora suggested it could be done... let me get back to you.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

HAHAHA! - Michaelson, don't hold out on me now!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

A most excellent lid my friend, I know how you feel I just got my AB on Wed, little tweaking and it's ready for the world.
This one fantasic hat and one awsome gentleman who bring's it to us, my hats off to Steve Delk, thank you.
Croft

for pics of lid after some tweaking go to sizing isues.
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Looks like another satisfied customer... the AB fedoras are definitely the ROTLA lid to get. Out of all my other Indy hats the AB is the only one I have worn that my friends, family, and co-workers all exclaim... that looks just like Indy's hat even when it just sitting there and not on your head. Some of them are pretty critical to so I think it says a lot for Steve's craftmanship and eye for detail. Also if you think your love your AB now wait till a few weeks go by of wearing it. :) Regards, Brett
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

French,

I am so glad you got your hat. It's a marvel, isn't it? I'm glad that you're happy with your hat and hope that you will wear it with much happiness.

The only think I don't like about the Adventurebilt is the way that the sweatband is sewn in. If you pull it away from the hat just a little, you can see two threads sewn in every 3/4s of an inch or so. I've been putting the hat on recently, and felt the sweatband moving around as I put it on my head. Of course, Steve is not a machine, and I can't expect him to sew a sweatband in like they would at Optimo, or what have you.

Anyways, rock on my man.

Regards,
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Strider, have you contacted Steve about this? I've worn my AB soldidly for months without any sweatband issues. :?

bink
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fench, what do you mean victom of peter brothers?