Full & half moon clips for Webley MKVI

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Yossarian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Full & half moon clips for Webley MKVI

Post by Yossarian »

I ordered a pack of these full moon clips from MidwayUSA this evening. I am wondering if it matters if you use full or half moon clips? Does the Webley MKVI accept both?

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/144819

I also ordered one of these full moon extractor tools. Has anyone ever used one of these? Do you think that they are necessary?

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/395607

MidwayUSA have these full moon clips in nickel plating and steel nickel plating. I ordered both, because I couldn't tell which one would look better with my Webley.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yep, the Webley (or S&W 1917) should be able to use half moon clips or fill moon clips. The only difference as far as I know is that you're either loading three rounds at a time, or the full six.

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Some say the extractor is a 'must', but at least you have a CHOISE when you're shooting.... to use...or NOT to use. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Yossarian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Yossarian »

The funny thing is that I stated getting nervous that I had made a huge mistake my ordering the full moon clips. I couldn't really find anything that said one way or another. This all started when my gun seller said something about half moon clips for this gun. It seemed so silly to use half moon, but the fear got to me that somehow this gun was configured funny and it couldn’t accept anything else.

Why in the world would anyone want to use a 3 round half moon clip? Seems a little loopy to me.

My mind has been put at ease. Thanks!
Yossarian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Yossarian »

Where did Indy keep his ammo? Did he have full moon clips filled with ammo -- secreted away until their desired opportunity of use arrived?

I found a few places on the web last night that cary these things that hold 2 fully loaded full moon clips that you attach to your belt. Very 21st Century.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, sometimes if in a 'battle' situation, you may only fire 3 rounds. You want to reload, but if you're using a full moon clip, you have to dump the entire contents of the cylinder then RELOAD the clip with the fresh loads, where in a half moon, you're only dealing with half an empty cylinder. It's just a matter of preference. In target shooting, you're right, it really doesn't matter as you'll empty the cylinder. Regards. Michaelson
Yossarian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Yossarian »

I finally got to shoot my new Webley MKVI this week! It was fairly accurate within 20 feet, but was virtually worthless beyond that. At 50 feet, I was missing the target completely. I don't know where those bullets were going.

I wanted to say though, about the shell extractor tool, that it is entirely necessary and useful. Anyone who is not using one of these should stop whatever they are doing and get one immediately. It is a G-dsend.

:)
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Yossarian wrote:At 50 feet, I was missing the target completely. I don't know where those bullets were going.
Probably one of the reasons they called them a Wobley.
saber1927
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

First post!

Post by saber1927 »

Well this is my first post but I am pretty familiar with the Webley MK6.

Believe it or not the Mk6 was originally sighted for 50yards with the original loading. And I have got good accuracy out to 25-30yrds with the proper ammo. They can be a little finicky but are still very accurate. I have out shot 1911s with a mint condition MK6 in 45acp.

I would recommend finding either some lead reloads, say 3D manufacture or similar, that are at the same level as the standard 45acp loading and try them, or try a different brand of FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) ammo, I have always had great luck with PMC but every webley Ive shot hates speers loads.
The bore on most webleys is a little large for the .451 slugs that most companies load in thier 45acp ammo. Some guns still shoot well with the smaller bullet others dont. The lead slug should expand into the rifleing and get a better grip than FMJ ammo.
You can also try loading .454 45ong colt slug in 45autorim or 45acp casings and duplicate the original load. In my experience Webley do best with heavey slugs and low velocities, it was simply what they were made for.
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Regarding the Model 1917, which may be similar for the Webley:

The ammo during WWI for the model 1917's originally came in 20 round boxes with the half moon clips. I speculated that this was due to the box size as well as the combat implications already stated. Remember, the model 1917 was a quick fix to a model 1911 shortage. S&W continued to produce the model 1917 in a commerical version for many years, with the full moon clip making more sense as the gun gained popularity. Both work fine.

New member here, thanks.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Someone explain something to me. Why do you need an extractor tool? Does the converstion process do something to make the extractor useless? I've never seen one of these converted revolvers in person.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

J_Weaver wrote:Someone explain something to me. Why do you need an extractor tool? Does the converstion process do something to make the extractor useless? I've never seen one of these converted revolvers in person.
Well on my .455 Webley that has been reamed out to a .45 ACP, the whole cartridge falls right through the cylinder. So, you have to put the shells in a clip to keep them in.
(see below)

If you are using a S&W 1917 or 1937, there's a lip that keeps the shell from falling through and the clip functions as a speed loader. However, due to the design of the .45 ACP shell, there's no lip for the extractor to grab which forces the shooter to pull the six spent shells out one-by-one.

Hope that helps.

Pyr.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yea, I know why the half or full moon clips are used and the the .45ACP doesn't have a rim. I just assumed that with the moon clips you could still use the extractor in the gun to remove the empties. Its hard to explain over the net. :?

Pyro, have you tried using the .45 Auto Rim? Its just a rimed version of the .45ACP. That way you don't have to use moon clips.