Uncovered! The H&S brand MKVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Uncovered! The H&S brand MKVII

Post by Rob »

Got a new (used) MKVII today, and its stamp says:

MK VII
H&S 1942

In between the H&S and the 1942 is some kind of symbol.

This is a very bold stamp, extremely well preserved, and I note the bag page on the main site lists an "H & Sons" brand... but no pics. I'm guessing this is the same?

Shall I provide pics?
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Congrats Rob, I'd be most interested in seeing it.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Hey Rob,
Where did you find the bag, or is it a secret? :-#
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

No, I'm quite happy to share.

Soldier of Fortune in the UK... 10 pounds.

When you order, best to drop them a note and say its a MKVII you're after as the link "box gas mask bag" could return a different model if you aren't careful.

Also note, for the money (which isn't much), these are pretty grotty!

Mine is currently soaking downstairs in Napisan, and is already on its second soak. The first one turned a whole tub of water brown in an hour or two. It should actually clean up OK... the only "problems" after that will be with the metal disc and the corrosion of 60 years, etc.

(Also, NB, the last time I got a MKVII from these guys, it was a W&G 1942 or something... so they definitely have a variety there...!)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Rob,
Mine is from them, but it has the infamous "black stripe," which, consequently, doesn't bother me, but it does most other folks around these parts. Does yours have the black stripe?

BTW, I soaked mine in Oxy Clean and it did a pretty nice job of cleaning it up. Then, I scrubbed the disc with some Brillo and it cleaned up nicely.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Sounds great, Rob.
Does it have the broad arrow, or could that be the symbol you mention?
H. & Sons I think it is, since your bag has the 1942 stamp too that would be the only known year of bag production from them.

A few members have obtained unstriped bags from SoF as of late. Be persistent but friendly, or ask to be on a waiting list for an unmarked one. They show up in their piles every now and then, even though they might state that they are out of them since long.

Brillo, or soaped steel wool, works miracles with the metal parts. Watch the edges when doing the snaps and vents though, you might end up with lighter fabric around those parts in case you touch the fabric when rubbing.

Congratulations!

Regards,
Swindiana
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Wow... doesn't even appear to have its canvas straps?

I think the mint bags are nice, but I could never actually use one as a prop or everyday bag... they're too good/rare/expensive for that :)

People might think this is a weird statement from me, because I've previously commented, for example to OB1, to not treat these bags like eggs, but that was in the case (AFAIK) of a used bag.

When a bag has been used, I have no problem with it being a beater... when it's mint, I think it should stay mint. Plenty more bags in the shop that already have been used, to employ as a working prop or everyday bag.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

And yet other folks take an apparenly opposite posture - the used bags may have some serious history in their usage that invokes some measure of respect, while uncirculated bags are just bags that were never put to good use.

To each his own. I have neither, so I have the comfortable distance to keep me from making such tough decisions... :-k

EDIT: P.S. Mac - that bag is a beauty! Would it be impolite to ask what it set you back?
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Indiana Jerry wrote:And yet other folks take an apparenly opposite posture - the used bags may have some serious history in their usage that invokes some measure of respect, while uncirculated bags are just bags that were never put to good use.
I subscribe to that. In a similar vein, I will buy an ex-surplus rifle sometime in the first half of next year. Now, lots of people get really uptight with the wood being perfect and ding free, but I'm actully quite happy if I get something with a bit of character, or some hand carved initials or something.

I will see shooting that rifle as a continuation of its story. Similarly, a used bag, to be used as a beater, I see as continuing its story. It was obviously used, and never babied, 60 years ago... for too long it's sat in a box ina warehouse. By cleaning it up and really USING it, I feel it's having its life over again. But I could never do it to a mint bag.

I mean, another point I'll make is that a mint bag still has the white cord attached, etc, which isn't part of the Indy bag... so if I wanted to use it, I'd want to modify things like that... and that's an even greater waste of a mint bag, to be cutting its cord off. That minty belongs in a museum!
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

You got a good deal, matey. That's great buying! :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Clarence, does your W&G Mark VI have D or O rings where the strap attaches? Mine has O rings, which is something I've not seen on a Mark VI before (They usually have D rings.)
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Lord Clarence Mcdonald wrote:ITG, it has O rings. All 3 of my MKVI bags have the O ring configuration. I did have one or two with the D rings , though.

M. :wink:
Are the other 2 also W&G's? If not, what maker is it?
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

You blokes are both meaning to type MKVII, right?
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Oh yeah, I can see the little rings on it now... yes, MKVI... my bad. I had assumed MKVII because that's what the thread was about...
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee Harper »

I bought my bags a couple of years ago. I use the WPG when I don't care if it gets beat up and have two bags I bought mint. I also have the ToD bag that I use occasionally. One of my two bags I bought mint I kept with the strap on and the other I use. Nice green colors on them, too.

Can't wait to dress up for Halloween tonight.
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

Well,I have gotten a used-condition MKVII from SoF too, great price! Tough I probarly should wash it, and clean the buttons (as they are all oxidated) .. but it seems from the use the copper is already showing again :lol:

I checked inside the flap, and I did not got any stamp, not a stripe or anything .. But, the inside of my strap says: "N. A. W O O D C O C K" ahum ..

I have round rings btw.

I really should wash it, and get some pockets out, but I just can't take the time to not use it :oops:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

They come up nice with careful hand washing, Kris.

As for the name on the strap - that's really interesting! That's the person's name who the bag was issued to. This recent bag of mine had M DAVID on the strap... before I cut it off, of course!
Last edited by Rob on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I wonder how long until COW reduces SoFs supply of MKVIIs to zero? We're like a pack of locusts, we are... :oops:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Incidentally, the product I used to clean mine is called Napisan. It's a product you soak dirty nappies in! I was careful to buy a version of it that can work with colours and not strip too much of the colour away.

It's amazing stuff... I put the bag in for a soak and within an hour or two, the water was almost black!!! Repeated this about three times before the water was coming away reasonably clean. Then I gave it one last soak in some fabric conditioner to soften it and give it a nice smell :)

Now, my MKVII is the EXACT same colour as Fords - the only difference is the black stripe, which is pretty thin, and had faded even before I started the cleaning procedure, so it doesn't stick out too badly. I am very impressed :)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Pics!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Are the MKVII bags from Soldier Of Fortune available online? I couldn't find anything on their site except t-shirts and sweaters w/ their magazine logo on them.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Just remember to state you want a MKVII as this code covers a few different bags, eg: MKVI, MKVII, etc.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Great - thanks guys! - J
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Be sure to let us know how you go :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Hmmm...no way to specify MKVII via internet order...that'll have to be an international call...just when I was promising myself no more staying up past midnight when I have to get up at 5am...
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Hmmm...no way to specify MKVII via internet order...that'll have to be an international call...just when I was promising myself no more staying up past midnight when I have to get up at 5am...
I just shot them an e-mail straight after I ordered, to say, "Hey, I just order and I want to ensure I get a MKVII..."

They replied the next day, saying that my message had been passed to the packing department.

This method worked fine for me.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Rob wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote:Hmmm...no way to specify MKVII via internet order...that'll have to be an international call...just when I was promising myself no more staying up past midnight when I have to get up at 5am...
I just shot them an e-mail straight after I ordered, to say, "Hey, I just order and I want to ensure I get a MKVII..."

They replied the next day, saying that my message had been passed to the packing department.

This method worked fine for me.
cool/thanks