Christy's Adventurer!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Christy's Adventurer!

Post by generalFROSTY »

jlee562 wrote:In terms of what....durability? I would suspect the Uptowner would be more durable than the Christy's, which is apparently dry blocked and prone to shrinkage. But the Uptowner simply hasn't been around long enough for anyone to say definitively, IMHO.
I should have specified, but thanks for the input on durability. What I would like to know is block-wise, overall shape, including brim widths. Which of the two would be considered a more accurate Raiders?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

well Frosty...i can't say because I don't own a Christy's...but a couple things we both know is that first and foremost Todd is a fan, and as such, like us, he spends a lot of time making sure it's right. Also, his business is taking care of the fans. The Christy's company is neither (how often do you see them posting on the threads?) And like everything Todd seems to do, the VALUE can't be beat. It is a far better hat than the price reflects (like the rest of his gear).

Don't trust the photo's of my Uptowner on the other thread because mine has more back taper than any other Uptowner I've seen at his shop. Even he was surprised but my girlfriend liked it more because she's not a fan of the more stove pipe look. He even offered to reblock it for me, but I like the originality of the hat, that it can pull off looks from any film.

:TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I wonder why we don't have a thread specifically for side-by-side photos of ALL hats available on the market. The hats don't need to be in the same photo, just good photos of each hat next to eachother and from all angles.
Off the top of my head, the list should include:
Christy's Adventurer
Todd's Downtowner and Uptownder
Akubra IV
AB Henry
These of course are the 'factory' hat choices. It would not be fair to include the hand made pieces of craftsmanship in such a thread...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

generalFROSTY wrote:I wonder why we don't have a thread specifically for side-by-side photos of ALL hats available on the market.
Probably because the list of hats on the market changes on such a frequent basis anymore! We never used to have this problem some years ago... ;)
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

generalFROSTY wrote:I should have specified, but thanks for the input on durability. What I would like to know is block-wise, overall shape, including brim widths. Which of the two would be considered a more accurate Raiders?
I really like the blockshape Christy´s are using and you can get a good looking Raiders hat out of it. Not completely SA but still very nice. Just take a look at Erri´s Christy´s a few pages back, I also like the look I got with mine (you can see some pictures of it new and more recent, also a few pages back).
Sadly I can´t compare it to an Uptowner. Which seems to be a great looking hat, and from what I´ve heard a real bargain. In fact I wouldn´t mind getting one ;)

But I can compare it to a Henry, in case you are interested. It´s simply another league of hat, it feels different and the felt behaves different. I feel a lot more confident with my Henry in the rain than with my Christy´s. But due to the light felt I loved wearing my Adventurers in the summer, I´m curious to find out how my Henry will wear in the summer.

Regarding the Fed IV, it´s also a great hat but to my eyes the Christy´s looks just a tad more "movie-like", which I certainly like. However the FedIV is a really good outdoor hat you can entirely trust and it has that "adventure vibe".

As many people here haven proven, these 3 hats can pull of a good Raiders look. But don´t forget that a lot of that has to do with their bashing skills.
RaidersBash wrote:The Christy's company is neither (how often do you see them posting on the threads?)
Yes they may not post here but in my experience they were a real pleasure to deal with. I could order different crown heights, brim widths, different ribbons and all that without any problems or extra charges. They also sent free replacement ribbons for my hat when I wanted a wider ribbon. I also like their variety of colours.

To make it short, I don´t regret buying a Christy´s. I still have a lot of fun with these hats and enjoy wearing them.
However I can also fully understand that some people want to save up for a better hat that will maybe last them longer. That´s the great thing about Indygear today, you have so many good looking options from quite affordable to expensive. And the Christy´s definitely has it´s spot for those who like these hats.

Much better than let´s say ten years ago. :TOH:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I was waffling mightily (as several poor souls here know due to pms) between a Henry and Christy's for my Raiders Seaplane hat. I needed a greyish hat to wear with clothes not in the brown spectrum.

I eventually went with the Christys as I've got a few other projects that are competing for my dollar and this hat was strictly a work (as a history teacher)/go to town hat so it won't be put through anything really rugged and I think the Christy's should fit that bill fine. After I get another Raiders hat and a LC style, I might pick up a grey Henry but, for right now, I'm looking forward to getting my Christy's. As Erri has shown, it can pull off the Raiders look very well.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Man, it's time to make a tutorial or something :lol:
Last edited by Erri on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Good input here!
I am also excited to get a grey color fedora - but I may try and get the Henry, it all depends on funds. Any word on how Akubra's grey model compares to Christy's?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I think we need to do some big summits in the future to compare all these new hats
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

We have 'em at least twice a year, Erri! When are you coming over? :lol: ;)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The day Ryanair will open atlantic flights :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Can't you just take the bus? :lol: ;)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

generalFROSTY wrote:Good input here!
I am also excited to get a grey color fedora - but I may try and get the Henry, it all depends on funds. Any word on how Akubra's grey model compares to Christy's?
If we're just going by color, the moonstone is a nice "train traveler" color but too light for the Raiders seaplane hat. Akubra has another grey (charcoal?) that is too dark to pull off the seaplane look (but is a beautiful color). From Erri's pictures, the burma Christy's can give a good approximation of the look (although he will be the first to tell you that the Burma looks green in direct sunlight). The grey Henry is a very nice Raider seaplane grey which I really like.

For me, it came down to a question of price and intended use to make my decision.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Little off topic but how much is a Henry anyway?
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Both brown and grey go for 189€, if you order form Marc and Stefan. That´s the last I´ve heard.

To bring the thread back on topic ;) here is a picture of the light grey Adventurer I got in September 2008, still looks quite nice. I´ve worn it quite regularly, some light rain showers and some snow.
For those looking for a nice "train traveler" I think that would be a nice choice. But Burma really seems to be it if you´re going for a Seaplane grey from Christy´s.

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I wouldn't mind having a grey Henry but wallet is empty and I don't think I'm ever going to spend that kind of money on a hat again, I just received my 2 ABD I ordered a long time ago... that's me settled for a loooong time even if the grey Henry is teasing me everyday.

That's a nice hat Tremolo. Good old blue-grey.
Tremolo wrote:For those looking for a nice "train traveler" I think that would be a nice choice. But Burma really seems to be it if you´re going for a Seaplane grey from Christy´s.
If the buyer has no problems with the hat being colour changing under different light condition :lol:
Burma is a "guaranteed grey" in cloudy-white days (see Seaplane scene in Raiders) and indoor (inside seaplane / ending stairs scene)... in any other place it may appear green :lol: :lol: :lol:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Erri, what's that hue you say the Burma takes on in direct sunlight? :whip: :lol:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

GREE... nevermind
:lol:
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

After 3 months in my possession (dunno how many months Texan Scott had it before selling it to me) with daily wear (driving my daughter to and from school plus frequent malling), my Christys has held up well so far. I've never gotten it really wet in heavy rain, though - only light drizzles. Also, take note that I live in a hot and humid country which isn't the best environment for fur felt hats. My hat has had a few accidents already; falling on the ground numerous times, getting sat on by my wife twice. So far, no unwanted creases developed.

I love the Christys and I believe it's not that fragile as some believe.
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I've had my Christies since last March and it looks 'lived in.' I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the Christies hats 'not holding up.' I wear mine literally every day...
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

What's the 'science' behind the hat looking 'green' in person (under certain lighting situations)?
I certainly don't want that kind of effect - but love the look of the 'staircase' hat.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Adirondack Jones wrote:I've had my Christies since last March and it looks 'lived in.' I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the Christies hats 'not holding up.' I wear mine literally every day...
Precisely! I would say my hat developed character from daily wear and usage.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Let this be a little proof that the Christys hats are a good choice. I have seen a lot of people talk down on them, but it seems here that they are a good option for those looking for a good 'budget' Indy fedora. The next step down would be a Dorfman...but we all know how terrible those are!
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

I wonder if anyone involved with Dorman Pacific ever reads these posts....I also seriously doubt it :TOH: Sorry. Didn't mean to get off topic ;) hehe..
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

TenuredProfessor wrote:I wonder if anyone involved with Dorman Pacific ever reads these posts....I also seriously doubt it :TOH: Sorry. Didn't mean to get off topic ;) hehe..
Have you seen those new commercials for Dominos Pizza where they secretly videotape people talking trash on thier pizza, then make the pizza better and deliver it to thier houses? That would be a funny fan film to make about Dorfman and thier Indy hats... :lol:
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Well I work in the A/V industry and have a DP...I may have a spoof on youtube soon. You, of course, will get 'story by' credits Frosty! :TOH:

David
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

generalFROSTY wrote:What's the 'science' behind the hat looking 'green' in person (under certain lighting situations)?
I certainly don't want that kind of effect - but love the look of the 'staircase' hat.
The science behind it is basically that grey colour can be made with the addition of a percentage of blue or a percentage of yellow. This means that it can be made with different undertones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grays.svg

This is approximately what colour the clipper hat is in the pantone scale

And I went for the Burma because in the Christy's array of colours Burma was the closest pantone.

As I posted elsewhere... (and keeping in mind that the ribbon should be less brown and more black than the one I received...)

Image Image Image Image

it works well for me. Matter of taste and opinion of course!
Have a nice day
Last edited by Erri on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

On the gray Raiders? Who knows for sure. But, they were wanting a Oxford Gray as the travel hat in Indy 4. So, this makes me think that the plane hat was Oxford Gray. Now, this color can vary from darker to lighter, depending upon the supplier. But, from looking at the plane scene, I can say, that MAY indeed be an Oxford Gray. Although the one example I have seen was too dark to pass as this color. But, with that said, I have gotten in charcoal grays from my supplier that were this light in color, and then some that were almost black. But, Bernie got that Oxford Gray color from someone! And Spielberg called it, Indy's gray "travel" hat, according to Bernie, when we were doing that work. Bernie may have had to find out what gray was needed, and came up with Oxford, from somewhere. I have to assume it was from saved info. Fedora
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

From google I could find this as "oxford grey" wool patch
It does seem quite close to what in my mind is the Raiders grey. However, Steve, you have to admit that whatever you call that colour, the Indy 4 traveller hat is galaxies away from the Raiders grey.

So the felt of the grey Indy 4 hat came from unknown sources? Did Bernie give you a felt cone and you reblocked it on your block?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Also keep in mind that what we are seeing on screen is not a true representation of the hats color. That cabin has almost no true light and is lit almost entirely artificially. This affects the color we see in the film. There is a pic that I've posted numerous times, and was not the first to do so, of Ford outside the Clipper and the hat appears lighter in color than in the film. It is under direct sunlight tere so I'd say that is a truer representation of the color. That said. Burma is really very close. I think Granite covers more of the spectrum we see on screen and in backstage photos. Thing is I just don't see any hint of green in the seaplane hat, inside the plane or outside in that photo. But I think Burma is just neck and neck with granite for closest color. I'll try and post that picture I was talking about later.

Dave
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

The only thing I need to say is that the pantone colour was obtained with reference spots for white and black. Colour filters and light do not affect this method once you select a good white and a good black. So you may rely that the pantone numbers are very close to what in real life the hat is like. I explained all this in my thread, which is somewhere in the hat section. (ok I spare you the effort... here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36083 )

Again, I've always said, the Burma is not bang on that pantone number, it's just the closest colour I could find from Christy's catalogue since their greys were no match. So, yes the original could have been with no green undertone, I don't deny that. Probably it was a neutral grey.

All I'm saying, if you're buying from Christy's then the Burma is the closest match. If you buy a Christy's grey you won't get anything near the Raiders grey.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

TenuredProfessor wrote:Well I work in the A/V industry and have a DP...I may have a spoof on youtube soon. You, of course, will get 'story by' credits Frosty! :TOH:

David
Give me a few days to write up a first draft of a script, then I will post it in a new thread and we can get some input. This could be a really funny skit - especially for Gearheads and RPFers alike!
----------
Back on topic -
Thank you for the input on the color everyone. The info really helped out a lot. I still haven't decided if I am going to go for a grey Henry or the Christy's Burma, but we will see.
There are several Christy's hats I am looking to buy, one of them being the sable Adventurer so I can do another Raiders (with turn this time) and a classic all black 'fedora'. I also like thier beige fedora with the copper-looking ribbon.
From what I have seen, Christy's hats really make a good looking Indy fedora - setting aside qualit of construction and all, they look really good.
Since the ONLY fedora I own is a Henry, once I start collecting other hats from all ends of the spectrum I will be able to make more informed judgements on hat quality.
Thanks again!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Erri wrote:All I'm saying, if you're buying from Christy's then the Burma is the closest match. If you buy a Christy's grey you won't get anything near the Raiders grey.
That is for sure. The light grey Christy's I bought a while back is too light and the other grey, I think they call it grey mix, is all wrong.

Dave
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

generalFROSTY wrote: Thank you for the input on the color everyone. The info really helped out a lot. I still haven't decided if I am going to go for a grey Henry or the Christy's Burma, but we will see.
The Henry raiders grey looks very nice from the pictures, if you have the money I say go for it. I wouldn't mind trying one myself but I cannot afford it. 200 euro is plenty of money against a 60 euro poor rabbit Christy's
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

the Indy 4 traveller hat is galaxies away from the Raiders grey.

So the felt of the grey Indy 4 hat came from unknown sources? Did Bernie give you a felt cone and you reblocked it on your block?
Oh sure. Bernie wanted Oxford Gray. I did not have anything close, so I sent him my own gray. Granite Gray. I was surprised when he used it. He never found a proper Oxford, and used the sample I had sent him. Just made it on a different vintage block, as he said it did not have to match the brown hats we made. He called me from where they shot the train scenes, and told me he had used my gray hat! And that he needed me to make one more as a backup. Fedora.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Thanks for the explanation Steve. Too bad at the time you didn't have what is now used for the grey Henry... that one looks like a very nice grey colour.
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Inspired from all the positive remarks about the Christy, I went ahead and ordered one in sable with no other specifications other than size. It finally arrived and the fit is perfect and the felt feels great, BUT the color of the ribbon!? I assumed it would be a dark brown like the one they list on the Hornets Hats website but it's actually a very light brown, almost honey-gold in color, very close to the body's shade of sable. It looks nice, but it does not have the nice contrast that the dark ribbon provides.
What gives? Does one have to really specify the color of the ribbon or else you end up with a light-brown color? Not sure what I should do now.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Christy's has a revolving stock of ribbon methinks. I'd email Hornets (you bought it through Hornets, I assume?) and ask if you can exchange it for one with the ribbon "as shown."
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

jlee562 wrote:Christy's has a revolving stock of ribbon methinks. I'd email Hornets (you bought it through Hornets, I assume?) and ask if you can exchange it for one with the ribbon "as shown."

I did get it from Hornets and have contacted them but they have yet to get back to me. I really didn't want to go to the trouble of sending it back, plus it's been a while now since the hat arrived, not to mention I'm off on a long trip next week and might not be around to pick up the new package. There are a couple of hat makers here in Berlin so I might ask around to see if one of them could swap the brown ribbon for a darker one.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

If you have hatters in your area then tell Hornets Hats that the ribbon you received is not what you expected, not the usual colour that they put on sable hats. I'm sure they will send you the correct one, free of charge, then you go to your hatter and ask to replace the ribbon. This situation might be actually luck because you can now ask your hatter to copy an indy knot on your ribbon (since the Christys don't come with a screen accurate knot unless requested).

I did receive a wrong ribbon once for a misunderstanding and they sent me a brand new one for free. They have a very good customer service.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I'm with Erri on this. That bow work on the Christy's is horrendous. Now you can have a Christy's without the nasty bow and tackdown stitches. My opinion, forget about contacting Hornets and talk to Marc Kitter. He should be able to sell you enough of the AB ribbon for a haberdasher to sew on for you. You'll have the best looking Christy's on these boards if you do that.

Dave
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Yes, Hornets appears to have really great customer service. They got back to me and said they would have Christys send me a dark ribbon for the hat and told me it was easy to swap. I asked at a local neighborhood hat shop about swapping the ribbon and they said it would be no problem and cost €7 -- about $10 -- so I'm happily waiting for the new ribbon.
I'm not sure about asking Marc for some of his ribbon for a Christys hat. Wouldn't that be like putting a Rolls Royce emblem on an Opel? Besides, I'm already the proud owner of an AB Deluxe and was just looking for a more basic and floppier rabbit fur model. I'll wait for the Christys ribbon and compare that with what our hat shop offers as they also have their own ribbons there, and choose the one that looks best.
I really wonder though why Christys makes the hat with that light-brown honey-colored ribbon in the first place. It doesn't look very nice. From far away it look like the hat doesn't even have a ribbon since there is absolutely no contrast. I imagine anybody that buys the Adventurer wants the classic dark ribbon.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Garzo wrote:Wouldn't that be like putting a Rolls Royce emblem on an Opel?
:rolling: :rolling:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

DR Ulloa wrote:I'm with Erri on this. That bow work on the Christy's is horrendous. Now you can have a Christy's without the nasty bow and tackdown stitches. My opinion, forget about contacting Hornets and talk to Marc Kitter. He should be able to sell you enough of the AB ribbon for a haberdasher to sew on for you. You'll have the best looking Christy's on these boards if you do that.

Dave
I was unaware that the AB guys would sell just the ribbon. If that's true, I see no problem with putting one of thier ribbons on a Christy's. Look around town - the home boys love thier expensive chrome :mrgreen: rims on piece of junk cars...
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks for the explanation Steve. Too bad at the time you didn't have what is now used for the grey Henry... that one looks like a very nice grey colour.
I look at it from a completely selfish point of view. :lol: Hey, I got to add a new color to the Indy films. :lol: A first, I think. :TOH: Fedora
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Garzo wrote:I really wonder though why Christys makes the hat with that light-brown honey-colored ribbon in the first place. It doesn't look very nice. From far away it look like the hat doesn't even have a ribbon since there is absolutely no contrast. I imagine anybody that buys the Adventurer wants the classic dark ribbon.
For those who know fedoras from mainly (or only) the Indy hobby, anything other than a darker ribbon than the felt seems strange and uncool. But it is actually rather common for ribbons to be about the same as the felt color. I happen to prefer a contrast, but some find it too bold. Also, going lighter can be a fun twist.

I did not know that you had to request a darker ribbon, so I'll keep that in mind if I ever buy a sable. I did just order one in a different color, though, and asked them to copy one of their nicer looking bows. I hope they do it. If not, I may be trying my hand at re-tacking the bow!!! :shock:
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Erri wrote:As I posted elsewhere... (and keeping in mind that the ribbon should be less brown and more black than the one I received...)
I like a lot the colour of your ribbon. I don't think the Raiders Grey hat's ribbon was black. I don't know if anyone knows for sure, and I'm in a mistake, but in my opinon it should be a dark grey ribbon or something like that.

I'm not an expert in fedoras, but as the brown hat, had a (very) dark brown ribbon, the black hats (Thot) had a black ribbon, I guess the grey hat had a dark grey ribbon. Just my opinion.

It's usually a matter of lightning. In this grey hat, the ribbon is grey, but depending on the lights conditions it seems much darker that what it really is:

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Nice comparison, what grey is that sorry? May I say it looks almost like the burma colour? :lol: :lol:
Just kidding

Odo wrote:
Erri wrote:As I posted elsewhere... (and keeping in mind that the ribbon should be less brown and more black than the one I received...)
I like a lot the colour of your ribbon. I don't think the Raiders Grey hat's ribbon was black. I don't know if anyone knows for sure, and I'm in a mistake, but in my opinon it should be a dark grey ribbon or something like that.
Well I didn't mean black in colour, just a darker brown. I think the one that would work best is the same ribbon that is used on the Christy's sable felts... which I think is a very dark brown with some grey in it.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

In fact is called "mid grey".- But it's not a Christies.
Just posted here cause of the ribbon. Most Raiders Greys I've seen have a black 1 1/2" ribbon, which is perfect for the Crystal Skull Grey (I think), but not for the '36.
In fact I like your ribbon's colour and width (what is it, 1 5/8"? or 2"?), cause I want to repace mine's.
(Have you ordered your hat with that width ribbon?)

And about the felt, I think it's very hard to tell which is the right tone, cause in the daylight it reacts different, and there's not good lightning in the movie in the Grey scenes to be sure.

But I think your't is very close to the Travel Hat.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Has anybody here tried purchasing one in Bessamer? I'm assuming this is their dark grey... I wonder if it's close to Akubra's Carbon Grey.