Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Yes--if Indy's fedora can take a beating, why not mine?
51%
No--no way! It's a collectors item, I want to keep it pristine.
8%
Both--I have multiple lids, so I have the best of both worlds!
41%

Total votes: 37

Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Jedi, you don't even have it on a hat stand for display?
nope..leaving it out it collects dust,lint etc..so it stays in the box..
Like John said - occasional brushing is good for them. Leaving them in a box may, one day, give you a nasty surprise when you open the box only to discover that while it was carefully put away some insect has been hard at work eating a hole in your expensive hat. :shock:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Jeremiah wrote:I understand the why, but find it ironic that our hats can be sat on, stomped on, thrown about but that front pinch creates a no touchy zone.

Any crease that is repeatedly grabbed with oily dirty hands will dry out.
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

alex1152 wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:
Why don't you get a display case then? I'm sorry but I think its pretty dumb that you just have it sitting in a box, I know it's an expensive item but come on...at least show it off, put it in your living room or in your office, anywhere you can see it everyday and be proud of having it.

But if you don't have intentions of making a profit in the future with the hat just wear it.
I want to pass it down to one of my boys one day..if I live to see 70 that's almost 30 years of wear and tare..Im just that way..Steve Delk is not doing well. ONE day the original KOTCS hat maker will be gone..Sad but true..I just think it has too much value to just wear and sweat in and mess up..I mean,..maybe if I didn't have my FEDIV I would wear it..BUT the FED is nice,ive worn it a lot..Matter of fact I wear it everyday..:)...everyone does things differently.. :H:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Obviously it's yours and no one can or should tell you what to do, but as food for thought when I wear my grandfathers beat up old open road I feel a certain connection because of how much he wore it. My daughter identifies that hat with me because I wore it a lot when she was little.

My own grandkids equate me with my usual penman and not with any hat I don't wear much.

You'll make the thing much more significant for your son if you wear it when you do things with him.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

youngjedi71 wrote:
Sounds like a good candidate for a wood cabinet with glass doors like the ones you see in traditional lawyers offices. Or one of those giant glass bell domes like they put over clocks.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I've not been afraid to get my hat a little dirty. Here's my 7-year old Beaver Adventurebilt CS after 3 seasons of excavating in Israel and one reblock 3 years ago by Steve Delk.

I've got a lot of great memories with this hat, and hope to pass it on to my son someday.

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

No question THAT hat has "belonged" to someone. :tup:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

"That belongs in a museum"!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So does Nebraska, but we try to be kind. :(

:Plymouth:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

[-X :rolling:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

It irks me that the Indy fedora is somewhat high maintenance. A bit of a surprise for the uninitiated.

It almost feels silly to be in adventure gear and have to explain that the lid should only be handled a certain way.

Furthermore, I live in a semi-tropical climate and sweat a lot. Not exactly ideal for a fur felt hat.

Eh, anything for the hobby, right? :roll:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Wear mine in Florida every day. Like my blood, the fur adapts.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

In the 30s men wore hats like they wore shoes. They were an article of daily apparel. When they wore out, they were relegated to "fishing hat" or "gardening hat" status until they were so far gone they couldn't be worn at all.

In 2015 many people handle them more carefully because they are a fairly expensive luxury item, but in the parts of the country where they are still just an item of clothing, they treat them just like they did 75 years ago. I don't use mine to mop up spills, but I don't keep them in a climate controlled glass case either. They get dirty, bent out of shape, crushed, and rained on, brushed, reshaped, hung back up and eventually cleaned and reblocked. I haven't managed to wear one out yet, but when I do I imagine I'll retire it with honors and move on to another one.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Notice the disclaimer on the Herbert Johnson site: PLEASE NOTE THIS HAT MUST NOT BE WORN IN HEAVY RAIN. IT IS MADE OF NATURAL FIBRES AND IF IT GETS TOO WET IT MAY SHRINK. LEAVE TO AIR DRY IF DAMP AND HAND MOULD BACK TO SHAPE IF NEEDED.

I've only worn my Poet in the rain once (a misty drizzle, actually), and it got thoroughly damp. It dried with no loss of shape or fit whatsoever, which I chalk up to a decade of storage in a dry environment w/ occasional wear, so the felt is properly 'dead' and set. Still, I wouldn't take it out in a torrential downpour. That's the price of owning 'The Hat', much the same as how the Grail "cannot pass beyond the great seal." :)
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

lantzn wrote:
youngjedi71 wrote:
Sounds like a good candidate for a wood cabinet with glass doors like the ones you see in traditional lawyers offices. Or one of those giant glass bell domes like they put over clocks.
hummm...maybe..;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

whipwarrior wrote:Notice the disclaimer on the Herbert Johnson site: PLEASE NOTE THIS HAT MUST NOT BE WORN IN HEAVY RAIN. IT IS MADE OF NATURAL FIBRES AND IF IT GETS TOO WET IT MAY SHRINK. LEAVE TO AIR DRY IF DAMP AND HAND MOULD BACK TO SHAPE IF NEEDED.

I've only worn my Poet in the rain once (a misty drizzle, actually), and it got thoroughly damp. It dried with no loss of shape or fit whatsoever, which I chalk up to a decade of storage in a dry environment w/ occasional wear, so the felt is properly 'dead' and set. Still, I wouldn't take it out in a torrential downpour. That's the price of owning 'The Hat', much the same as how the Grail "cannot pass beyond the great seal." :)
If the core gets soaked it will shrink and tapper.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I'll try not to lose any sleep over it.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

whipwarrior wrote:I'll try not to lose any sleep over it.

Sorry, was trying to help.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Cajunkraut wrote:Furthermore, I live in a semi-tropical climate and sweat a lot. Not exactly ideal for a fur felt hat.

Eh, anything for the hobby, right? :roll:
In every old movie I've seen where they are in such a place they just use their hats to fan themselves. :TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Late to the party here but I am somewhere in the middle. I only have one "real" custom fedora. It is VERY special to me and I have very fond memories of it. At first I babied it. I was rather OCD about it actually. It went everywhere with me for a while. It sometimes does now, usually doesn't. I have started to take it out again now as it is cold here especially when I'm in the mountains. I had it out in the dusty windy foothills last night and this morning. Crazy winds and it stayed right atop my head like it is supposed to. Felt like I had reconnected with an old friend. Sure it got a little dusty but hey, it looks better that way! I plan to wear more like I used to and not baby it. I do want a LC fedora soon and that one will get the same treatment.

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

ChrisMD wrote:Felt like I had reconnected with an old friend.

Pun intended? :CR: :lol:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Jeremiah wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Felt like I had reconnected with an old friend.

Pun intended? :CR: :lol:
Hey I didn't even notice. Well done!

Jacques
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jacques »

I thought I'd post an update to this thread. :) I did the Sandmine Challenge a couple of weekends back (yeah, procrastinated posting about it :p), and wore the Fed IV Deluxe through the former sandmine caves...

It looks like I'm walking, but I'm actually running up and down a hill just after the 1/2 mile long, near waist-deep underwater stream...

Some sand got on it, and it got splashed with water here and there. I only took it off once when I had to crawl through a tunnel...but the sucker stayed on throughout, through all the obstacles! Yes, I know, I need to shape the fedora a bit better (OK, ALOT better), but anyways, here's how it looks today.

Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

I would certainly not even consider let my Adventurebilt get dirty, at least not intentionally. But my old hat that Garrison Hatters re-blocked recently in quite another case. The thing with an item like Steve Delk's hat is that it doubles both as a piece of clothing as much as a piece of memorabilia, only made to your dimensions. Like the Master Replicas lightsabers, if you know what I mean. And this is why I feel for youngjedi71, but certainly keeping it in a box out of people's eye is a pity.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In a way I can understand that, but I've personally known Steve Delk since he entered into this hobby way back when we were active in Indyfan. com.

He made hats to be used, and used hard. Not stay in a box as an artifact. I use my AB's in all weather and situations. I've also had them cleaned and overhauled many times with no problems.

Regards! M
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Back then he wasn't the official hat maker of any Indy film, there's the huge difference. You can have many hats from many suppliers but only one from him.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

From the point of view of a collector, I can totally respect that concept. :M: :tup:

I am also a collector, but from a different perspective. I fully expect everything I collect to be 100% functional, and use them as such. That's why I regularly carry pocket watches that are anywhere from 60 to 150 years old, and fully expect them to keep accurate time when in use.... otherwise, they're useless to me and are removed from my collection.

There's an 1882 Elgin 18 size hunter in my pocket 'as we speak', and keeping railroad accuracy time, as it's expected to do.

As I said, I've known Steve since he started in the hobby. He would feel complimented in the action, but would not be the least bit happy to think he made someone a hat and it was not going to actually be used and enjoyed to its fullest. He isn't selling 'provenance'. WE are the ones who place that kind of 'value' on an item. He's selling the best hat he can possibly create for use in the real world, but once again, that's MY definition on Steve and his work.

I've worn my AB's to church, weddings, in blizzards in Wyoming and on the windy, dusty streets of Tombstone and Goldfield, Arizona....and everywhere in between.

The company motto says it all. 'Built to last' was not based on being left in a box for a sunny day, but we're wandering a bit off track here. ;)

In the case of a hat, being 'used' also means occasionally getting dirty.

When they get beyond the point of what I can do to keep them clean and in shape, they make the trip down to Georgia to Dave Garrison for sprucing up, and then they're put back into play.

I can only speak for myself and my practices and NOTHING says what I do is 'right'. I AM saying it's right for me.

It's raining here, and will be all week. I'll be pulling my grey AB on this week and going out into the storms, just like I always do and have always done. Steve expects me to so with his hats and has told me so on many occasions. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

The tricky point here is that there is no right answer. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No WRONG answers either! :)

Your practice and reasons are just as valid and sound as mine. Like I said, the above statements are just MY opinion and practice. Nothing more. :M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

Very well said :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thank you! :TOH: