Hats are hot again!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Hats are hot again!

Post by jlee562 »

maboot38 wrote: I'm not making that exact comparison, just stating that we'll know they are "in" or "hot" when they are not viewd as anything more abnormal than a coat or a pair of shoes. Those pictures simply illustrate a time when this was the case.
If you're "not making that exact comparison," stop making that exact comparison. Just because you claim not to be doing it, doesn't mean that you haven't been doing it.

Let me put it another way. Name one item of clothing that can be photographed in a similar manner showing the same kind of prevalence. You simply can't.
If I have 2 apples, and you give me one, I have 3 apples. So the number of apples I have as increased, yet I wouldn't be so bold as to say I have a LOT of apples. Saying that the number of hat wearers has increased doesn't mean that it is a "hot" item. Dora the Explorer is "hot". Facebook is "hot". Those stupid skinny jeans that look like they are impossible to get on around the ankle and never appear to fit anyone..those are "hot". North Face down jackets are "hot".

Fedoras are not "hot". They're just slightly more common than they were ten years ago. So is hepatitis C.
North Face Down jackets? Yeah, those were fashionable around here about 10 years ago. Hence the problem with anecdotal observations. As I said earlier, it may not be the case where YOU live, but where I live, young men and women are wearing more hats.
Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. I see sunglasses and hoodies and a backwards baseball cap, and some women in hats, but I don't see what you're suggesting.
Then you are engaging in cognitive dissonance.

I've tagged the clearly identifiable fedora type hats with red dots below, I did not count sun hats, or outback style hats:

And again, the idea that hats are "not popular" is simply countered by the articles posted here by myself and others. While I would agree with the sentiment that one article in and of itself does not make something "in," the fact that multiple articles have popped up in the past year or so saying basically the same thing makes them significant. They're not reporting on nothing. Paul's Hat Works didn't expand their business because hat's aren't selling. Neither did Goorin. Optimo didn't raise their prices because their hats aren't selling.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

nicktheguy wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Oh YEAH!!!???? :x

Well, your mother was a hampster, and your father smelled of elderberries!!! [-(

:CR:
...I told him we already got one!.....Now go you silly English King and don't bother us anymore!
We should require the viewing of Python's 'The Holy Grail' and 'Princess Bride' for each and every person who registers for entry to this site, shouldn't we? :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

OK, fine. Resolved.....a few more people are wearing hats now then they used to....in some isolated parts of California.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Michaelson wrote:
nicktheguy wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Oh YEAH!!!???? :x

Well, your mother was a hampster, and your father smelled of elderberries!!! [-(

:CR:
...I told him we already got one!.....Now go you silly English King and don't bother us anymore!
We should require the viewing of Python's 'The Holy Grail' and 'Princess Bride' for each and every person who registers for entry to this site, shouldn't we? :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
...inconceivable!

..Yes excellent idea Michaelson!
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Given the body of evidence, it makes far more sense to conclude that hats are not popular in Boston. Because your anecdotal evidence is the only thing given which backs your assertion of hats not being popular.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Also, in my opinion, Coachella is a place where people dress in a certain way, to be seen and talked about. Often people don't dress there as they would normally. Once can find web pages set up to help people know what to wear to Coachella, so a photo of that festival I don't find to be any more representative of the general population than a 1930s photo of a ballpark.

i suppose I could try to prove that hats ARE "in" by posting a picutre of the Kentucky Derby. Would that work?

I'll give you this....there are parts of California where you might see more fedoras than you would in the rest of the country. You might see some in Miami, and of course there some fellers in Tennessee that wear them religiously. However, i don't think it is unfair or inaccurate to say that for most of the country, they are extremely abnormal for daily wear. Even my wife, who sees mine constantly, can't get used to it. Most people don't wear a fedora.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

jlee562 wrote:Given the body of evidence, it makes far more sense to conclude that hats are not popular in Boston. Because your anecdotal evidence is the only thing given which backs your assertion of hats not being popular.
This could be true.

Still...I haven't seen it in my travels. Not in Boston, not in Washington D.C., not in Dallas, not in San Francisco, not in L.A., not in Virginia, not in London, not in New Zealand, not in New Brunswick, not in Ontario......

Doesn't mean they aren't there, but as a hat wearer myself, you would think I'd notice.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Does anyone really care though? If you have a hat wear it - if not, fine. There are far more pressing things to direct energy towards than "hats - in or out"

I guess I could start a new hobby - hat spotting - I'll get up and take notes on who is wearing what. That sounds like a fun time. I'll keep you posted with a daily tally. I'll start today when I go out.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

nicktheguy wrote:Does anyone really care though? If you have a hat wear it - if not, fine. There are far more pressing things to direct energy towards than "hats - in or out"

I guess I could start a new hobby - hat spotting - I'll get up and take notes on who is wearing what. That sounds like a fun time. I'll keep you posted with a daily tally. I'll start today when I go out.
Does anyone really care about ANYTHING we discuss here on this forum? We're just having a discussion. The topic of the thread indicates that herein resides a discussion about the popularity of hats......

....so that's what we're talking about. Saying "Does anyone really care" sort of misses the point of the discussion, don't you think? Of course there are far more pressing things. We should all be out feeding the homeless and curing cancer instead of typing on this forum for that matter.

Definitely let me know how many you see when you go out. I'll do the same. Of course we're only two people, but it could still be a fun comparison.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

maboot38 wrote:Also, in my opinion, Coachella is a place where people dress in a certain way, to be seen and talked about. Often people don't dress there as they would normally. Once can find web pages set up to help people know what to wear to Coachella, so a photo of that festival I don't find to be any more representative of the general population than a 1930s photo of a ballpark.
Which strengthens my argument, not yours, unless you are arguing that people would want to be talked about as un-fashionable or un-hip. If people are dressing to be seen and talked about, they would be reflecting the popular trends, would they not?

Though I would suggest to you, as I have several friends returning from Coachella as I type this, that folks are more concerned with not being burned up in the dessert sun. You dress "in a certain way" at Coachella the same way that you would if you were going out to any other social event. You don't wear shorts and a t-shirt to a fancy restaurant. When folks go out to a club, they dress up. It's not as if Coachella is a fashion show. People dress utilitarian.
I'll give you this....there are parts of California where you might see more fedoras than you would in the rest of the country. You might see some in Miami, and of course there some fellers in Tennessee that wear them religiously. However, i don't think it is unfair or inaccurate to say that for most of the country, they are extremely abnormal for daily wear. Even my wife, who sees mine constantly, can't get used to it. Most people don't wear a fedora.
Are they uncommon? Yes, I would agree with that. However, the articles given in this thread and others do suggest that they are, in the very least, trendy this particular season. In my book, that counts as "in."
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I thought hats are more popular because of the Royal Wedding? :-k

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 4c8bd1d25c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

maboot38 wrote:Also, in my opinion, Coachella is a place where people dress in a certain way, to be seen and talked about. Often people don't dress there as they would normally. Once can find web pages set up to help people know what to wear to Coachella, so a photo of that festival I don't find to be any more representative of the general population than a 1930s photo of a ballpark.

i suppose I could try to prove that hats ARE "in" by posting a picutre of the Kentucky Derby. Would that work?

Let me tell you, there are no fedoras walking around Miami. There are some of the old-timers from Cuba wearing panama hats, but you ceratinly don't see any fedoras. Even the stingy brim straw variety are scarce here. That said, I always get complimented on my hats when I go out, so there is an interest in them down here. Many of the old-timers wearing panama hats mention how their dad's used to wear hats like mine back when they were young, but that is about it.

Dave
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The fedora is a slice of Americana, a bit of nostalgia, of the way things used to be, like when guys would go to see a major league baseball game dressed up in a suit, tie and hat; or back in the days when men dressed up to travel by plane or train. Those were the days when people took a great deal of pride in their appearance, and travel by air was a luxury, but today? I'm afraid we hit the relaxed era a long time ago. The fedora is one of those things that we were, but I seriously doubt that it will ever be that way again.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Looking at my neck of the woods; It seems that there are currently more dudes going around with lids on, not necessarily feds, but wide brimmed lids non the less....It's still rare though and most people wearing the lids do get 'double takes' or noticed more because of them....

Ian
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Well i dunno about the US, but in Spain and Germany lots of guys are wearing lids, and mainstream shops are starting to have a huge range of hats in their catalogs. Normally straw hats, but hats nontheless.

Regards,

LJ
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

How about this angle to this particular thought exercise:

I see the evolution like this:

"Hot" = the latest thing, fairly exclusive in it's use (of course, hats are not new, but 'new' in the sense of resurgence of use)

"Trend" = more and more people are engaging

"Popular" = firmly embedded in the mainstream

"Common" = 'everyone' has one, not at all special to comment upon

In this sense, hats are 'hot' by their very exclusivity. Not everyone is wearing one; but more people are, moving it toward a trend, but far from popular and certainly not common.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Indiana Jeff wrote:How about this angle to this particular thought exercise:

I see the evolution like this:

"Hot" = the latest thing, fairly exclusive in it's use (of course, hats are not new, but 'new' in the sense of resurgence of use)

"Trend" = more and more people are engaging

"Popular" = firmly embedded in the mainstream

"Common" = 'everyone' has one, not at all special to comment upon

In this sense, hats are 'hot' by their very exclusivity. Not everyone is wearing one; but more people are, moving it toward a trend, but far from popular and certainly not common.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

....So what are you sayin'?.... :Plymouth: :lol:

Ian
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Luisiana Jones wrote:Well i dunno about the US, but in Spain and Germany lots of guys are wearing lids, and mainstream shops are starting to have a huge range of hats in their catalogs. Normally straw hats, but hats nontheless.

Regards,

LJ
Interesting you would say that. I was in Italy two summers ago for almost a month (mainly Tuscany region, Florence, Rome, Venice) and expected to see tons of men in hats, but barely saw a one.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

I was, like shown in my florence post, in florence last week, and... tons of hats ^^ Maybe its a this year trend kind of thing, no idea. Like i said in Spain and Germany its also been a this year and part of last year thing.

Regards,

LJ
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I was in Russia for 10 days in early February, I can tell you everyone and I mean EVERYONE went out with a hat...that being said it was -30 so if your were fond of your ears it was a necessity :P I got a black fox fur trapper hat :TOH: There were actually a few fedora's too....One of the greatest things was that in every bar, cafe or restaurant there was a coat check room staffed all the time to drop of your hats overcoats etc very nostalgic feel to it :)

:TOH:
HerbertJohnsonFan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerbertJohnsonFan »

I am of the opinion that hats were never "not hot." :TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

HerbertJohnsonFan wrote:I am of the opinion that hats were never "not hot." :TOH:
Ain't denial great? ;)

seriously though, I wear one, so do all of you. That's fine. we like our hats. I just find it funny when people see a couple extra fedoras kicking around and all of a sudden folks are talking about how "everyone is wearing them". They aren't. Of course the trilby and other stingy brimmed and patterned hats are a bit more acceptable, but the typical indy fedora will still get you odd looks and a few snickers. Ignore them if you want, but don't try to say they aren't there. Trust me, people are laughing at your hat. It is the way of the world right now. Do I care, no, because I like my hat, but I'm not under the illusion that when someone says "hey look, d1ck tracey" it is a compliment.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I think the notion that "The Media" is trying to tell me that something's hot or not is nonsensical and ridiculous since all fashion trends are manufactured by a bunch of effeminate clowns who never get their hands dirty nor know what "work" really means, never go more than a mile away from pavement, and if they do go anywhere exotic it's to a full service resort. You want those people telling you what's in or what's out?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I wouldn't say "hot" (unless of course it's a heavy fur felt hat in the summer)... I would say hats are getting "hip" these days.

I guess it's what they call the "hipster" fashion. You cannot go into a clothing store and not see 'em for sale.

Over here I see more and more teens wearing fedoras; straw and cloth types mostly. No fur felts over here, though. Wool is the closest I've seen to felt and they're not that popular here due to the price (any hat that's more than $15 - $20 is a luxury here). Too bad there isn't much demand for wider brims. Some do sell hats with brims that are 2", but I seldom see those. If I do see 'em, it's usually a straw hat for women.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Here's the tally of hats from today:

Oak and 14th - 12:44pm - 4 black fedoras, one yamika

4th and Yew - 1:00pm - 3 baseball hats - one straw panama, one tilley

10:00am - Granville and Broadway - 5 baseball hats, 2 tilleys.

That's all I have seen so far today.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

nicktheguy wrote:Here's the tally of hats from today:

Oak and 14th - 12:44pm - 4 black fedoras, one yamika

4th and Yew - 1:00pm - 3 baseball hats - one straw panama, one tilley

10:00am - Granville and Broadway - 5 baseball hats, 2 tilleys.

That's all I have seen so far today.
My tally of hats today:
Driving through Weymouth from 7:30 to 8:00 - 1 baseball cap.
My kitchen - 12:30 to 1:30 - 2 bald heads (me and the plumber)
Driving through Hingham 3:30 - 1 baseball cap.

zero yarmulkes so far.