USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Post by Mark Brody »

Jacket looks great. I still think I'm gonna stick with my hide choice, but it looks very nice. As far as the gap is concerned - if some screen used jackets had it and some didn't - it's just a matter of personal preference. Snaps on the storm flap are not inaccurate. The LC jacket had them. Anyway, I like the gap. If you look at most jackets with a pleated back, you'll find they all have a gap. Pleats with no gap is very odd from a fashion sense.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Mark Brody wrote: Snaps on the storm flap are not inaccurate. The LC jacket had them..

yes, but then we are talking a completely different jacket style...
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Does this one have gussets?
Kubrik
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kubrik »

Outstanding! :o
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

no, no gussets
Technonut
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Technonut »

Now THAT is a Raider's jacket... :clap: It has the "look" with the thick lamb that I really like. Really an outstanding option to my Todd's custom in calf.. Thanks for the pics and info Weston :TOH:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I am the one who sent a PM to you Holt and if you guys want to see what I am talking about in a seperate thread I can do that. What I see at least from watching the film on DVD and going through frame by frame at good looks of the jacket. I see the Wested jacket used the most. The Cooper jacket I see being used right when Indy is going to get dragged by a truck scene. It is there on screen the shortest and is used. Personally I am wanting the jacket I see in the well of souls, the opening sequence, Raven's Bar, and the Flying Wing. The Wested is in all of these scenes. I do think Wings has made a very nice Cooper jacket, was there a gap on a jacket in Raiders, yes but it was not used on screen as much as the Wested. That is what I see on screen. Sorry for going off topic somewhat, I just want you guys to know that is what I see on film. Anyways continue talking about this jacket, it looks great, just not my type of jacket. BTW Mitch, that is what I am looking for in a jacket.

IndianaChris
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

there is no evidence here that says that the wested jacket was used at all in the film. but rumour says that they were used as stunt jackets. maby so.. But I personally think a wested was used by Ford from time to time. In scenes like.... well of souls, flying wing, raven bar,....
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Let's not get off topic from what this thread was started for, guys...if you want to debate this, maybe you should start a new thread... :-k

That said, I have to agree with you, Holt....

Regards!
Indydawg
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks for the picture Mitch! That really is a great comparison.

:tup:

Here's a few more pics, different exposures and flash.

Weston
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Well... once again, those are some lovely shots of what I think is a great jacket from Wings... and there's no doubt in my mind that this jacket would just get better and better looking as it naturally ages and distresses.
It's already got a LOT of wonderful character to it, but something tells me there's plenty more to come as it begins to wear & distress over time... it sure LOOKS the part!
:)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I was so excited about this jacket when the pre-jacket hype started, when Sarge was around and several of the moderators -because of their invovlement in the "inner circle" - were sharing their excitement.

It was easy to get caught up in and I was one of the first to get on the list for the Calf (becuase at the time, that was THE hyde according to Cooper)...

As the waters got muddied, tempers flared, Sarge left after feeling insulted and apparently some members were banned for some things they said (?)...much of my excitement wained.

BUT I STILL HELD OUT HOPE....and now can only hope that the calf turns out to be what I'm waiting for...

BECAUSE THIS AIN'T IT!!!

I ABSOLUTELY love the grain and details of the jacket, but the "substantial" nature and thickness is the deal breaker for me. It just looks THICK. Not uncomfortable I guess, but not a 3 season jacket either. If it feels like you could lay down a motorcycle and avoid the road rash...that just seems too thick to me.

Good luck wearing that in a South American jungle, or a warm but windy night in Tanis...

IMO, the Raiders jacket was a leather windbreaker. The only time a substantial jacket is seen in the film is the truck chase with the stuntman about to go under the rig, and those are reported to have been cowhide Wilson's jackets.

If the calf doesn't come through, I think I'll be more than happy to hang on to my Todd's standard, which still for mine and the pics I've seen of most everyone else's, really does SCREAM Raiders more than any thing else (Although I really like Mitch's TN :H: )

If Todd comes out with an updated Standard in the future, that will be my future jacket purchase.
Last edited by RaidersBash on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have a feeling calf wil not be offered. when I asked about it a week ago he just went on about that he thinks hero naked cow was the leather used. He said People off shore do not use the term very often of Calf.. They say young cow and or young naked Cowor naked young cow. young cow as in ''calf''

So, I perosnally have a feeling anything just ''calf'' will not be offered. I may be wrong.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Holt I e-mailed Myke yesterday (sorry I'm not able to post the e-mail as I'm not on my home computer).

He said that Calf may OR may not happen. They are waiting on samples at the moment and should have a answer in a week or two.

IF it does happen the calf jackets will be made overseas (no US made version)
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Indiana Holt wrote:I have a feeling calf wil not be offered. when I asked about it a week ago he just went on about that he thinks hero naked cow was the leather used. He said People off shore do not use the term very often of Calf.. They say young cow and or young naked Cowor naked young cow. young cow as in ''calf''

So, I perosnally have a feeling anything just ''calf'' will not be offered. I may be wrong.
Yep...that's kinda the feeling I've been getting. That "calf" is probably off the menu (but I'll keep my hopes somewhat high).

If not, I'll keep my eyes open for a first edition Todd's Standard while I keep on enjoying my 2nd edition. :H:
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

I'm on the calf list, but having seen this jacket I would be happy to switch to this leather. :clap: To me it looks like an orginal, new, 1930's jacket , as if Dr. Jones had just collected it from a store or maker, a few feild trips and then it would look the part.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

I'd go along with that IndyBrit :tup:

After seeing the striated lamb US wings are useing I'd be happy to swop to it from calf.

Previous striated lamb jackets I've seen around here have put me off the leather,as I personaly find the grain to much for my taste.
But this stuff is much more to my liking.Very subtle striations here and there not all over the leather.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Yeah Raiderbash, it sounds like the Todd's Standard is the jacket for you! There is nothing windbreaker light about this one.

I went back and read my posts, and after wearing it for a few days now, I think I may have been over emphasizing the weight. You have to understand my basis for comparison; my last lambskin jackets have been the Todd's Standard, and the Wings Lightweight NZ lamb. There is a big difference in the weight and thickness of the leather compared to those.

That said, it is a comfortable weight, very similar to the naked cowhide offering.

Weston
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

In my emails and phone conversations with Sarge and Myke yesterday and this afternoon it does appear that that the calf leather is no longer an option. I switched my leather request to the antique cow when Myke called me today.

Weston your jacket looks fantastic. Your post of this jacket was what prompted me to email Sarge yesterday. Sarge was really pushing the Bison leather but the antique cow seems to be the leather for me.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Weston, of all the Wings jackets you have recently handled, if you had to pick just one, which would it be?

Just curious... :)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thank you Scott!

Forrest, that's tough, but if I had to go with only one, it would be this one. It feels overbuilt, like it will last a lifetime. I like that the leather is so shiny and new looking, which may be off-putting to some, but to me that means every mark it takes will be earned, and over time I think it will age beautifully. I think the craftsmanship is more impressive on the Schott made jacket; the stitching is set deeply into the leather, stress points well reinforced, and the lining is softer.

That said, the antique cow Legend jacket has some strong points too. I prefer the sliders on the imported jacket. They are smaller and silver colored where as this one has larger brass sliders. I also like the thinness of the antique cowhide. It only takes days, or even hours to break in. The piping around the pockets has a neater appearance in my opinion because the leather is so thin.

I love the Hero jackets, in both naked cowhide and NZ lamb. They really pull off the LC or CS look well. They are full cut, and the Legends are trim. The slimmer cut looks better on me.

So, I'd hate to have to choose just one, but in the end its the Schott made Legend in SL. It's just richer in materials and craftsmanship overall.

Weston
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Weston:

How would you classify the weight/drape/feel on the imported cow VS. the Todd's Standard VS. this Schott SL?

Thanks,.
RB
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Weston wrote:
...if I had to go with only one, it would be this one (Legend Striated Lamb, by Schott). It feels overbuilt, like it will last a lifetime. I like that the leather is so shiny and new looking, which may be off-putting to some, but to me that means every mark it takes will be earned, and over time I think it will age beautifully...

Weston
Well said!. That's exactly the reasoning I used when choosing my Signature Series VIP cowhide last December. I wanted a "blank canvas (hide?)" on which every mark, scuff, abrasion, and wrinkle would remind me of places and activities enjoyed while wearing the garment.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

I sincerely hope the calfskin option comes along one of these days...I think we'd be missing out otherwise.

Exhibit "A":

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Look! It's the original pattern! :lol: :CR:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Exhibit A is actually a really nice looking jacket..what is it and where is it from?
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I think it looks a little off for a Raiders jacket. Could do with a few more pockets as well. ;)

Ian
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

I see it has TWO zipper pulls,so everyone should be happy :Plymouth:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Gorak wrote:Exhibit A is actually a really nice looking jacket..what is it and where is it from?
It comes from a company called "Operations", and is a calfskin driving coat. I picked up on it through a Google search for calfskin jackets. Here's a link http://www.porhomme.com/2008/11/operati ... eparately/
:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, Todd....back slowly away from your PC and no one will get hurt. [-X

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Yeah, but you didn't have Kelly hitting you in the back of the head with rolled up socks before, now DID you? [-( :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

$900!!!??? for exhibit A? Wow! Wonder if Magnoli can whip one up?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

RaidersBash wrote:Weston:

How would you classify the weight/drape/feel on the imported cow VS. the Todd's Standard VS. this Schott SL?

Thanks,.
RB
I think I already answered that in a roundabout way, but I'll give it a go.

Weight: The Todd's is by far the lightest of the three, the naked cow and SL close in weight, but the SL feels slightly heavier.

Drape: Of the three, the naked cow has the best drape from the get go, in my opinion. Leather needs to break in before you can really judge the drape. My Todd's jacket is an earlier offering so I don't know how it compares to what he has now, but I think the leather took a long time to break in and drape nicely. Somehow, although thin, the leather wouldn't retain creases on the panels, though the sleeve wrinkles stayed. It drapes much better now, but it took time. The SL has pretty decent drape right out of the box, but it will take some time to really break in, especially around the pockets and storm flap. The leather seem to have some "memory" if that makes sense, and the creases stay more readily.

Feel: I'm not sure you're asking how the leather feels, or how it feels to wear the jacket. The SL leather feels the best to me. It is rich, smooth, you just want to keep touching it. The naked cow has a bit of a suede surface to it. The Todd's leather is smooth, doesn't have much in the way of character, but has a toughness to it. In terms of wearing, the Todd's feels like its barely there, like you said, a windbreaker, but at this point I know better than to mistake that for fragility. I actually wear it to work more often than any other jacket. The naked cowhide is light/medium weight, very easy wearing. The SL I'd call a medium weight jacket, very comfortable, the lining is luxurious, and the leather feels like its both padding and protecting the body.

Raiderbash, I hope that explains it. Let me know if I answered your question.

Weston
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Well, that does it for me. Based on Weston's description, and especially the pics of the jacket, I've decided on the Schott SL jacket. It's just too good to pass up. The look, color, drape, thickness are all exactly what I'm looking for. Emailed USW and switched my order from the calfskin today (if anybody cares).
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Can't wait to see photos when you receive your jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:
Michaelson wrote::rolling:

Yeah, but you didn't have Kelly hitting you in the back of the head with rolled up socks before, now DID you? [-( :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Your comment elicited an evil little giggle from the other room... :TOH:
They can send chills down your spine, can't they?! :shock:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:Well, that does it for me. Based on Weston's description, and especially the pics of the jacket, I've decided on the Schott SL jacket. It's just too good to pass up. The look, color, drape, thickness are all exactly what I'm looking for. Emailed USW and switched my order from the calfskin today (if anybody cares).
ron521 wrote:Can't wait to see photos when you receive your jacket.
DJ, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this jacket on you as well!
:D
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Weston wrote:Thanks for the picture Mitch! That really is a great comparison.

:tup:

Here's a few more pics, different exposures and flash.

Weston

That is simply just a beautiful leather jacket, Indy related or not that would have caught my eye. Can't wait to be able to order one myself. =P~ :whip:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Yeah Pitfall, you better specify. There is a $100.00 difference in price between the two.

Weston
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

ron521 wrote:Can't wait to see photos when you receive your jacket. DJ, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this jacket on you as well!
:D
No worries, I'll get them up as soon as I can.

V/R,
DLJ
Last edited by Dragonlady Jones on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Weston wrote:Yeah Pitfall, you better specify. There is a $100.00 difference in price between the two.

Weston

Yeah, after I made that post I jumped over to the USW site and it pretty much answered the question I asked so I can back and took it out. I'm a little shocked at the price BUT it's not anymore that I paid for my G&B and I believe this jacket is worth every penny. Besides that, I like being able to buy American made products when I can. :TOH: I *may* have to wait until my tax return after the first of the year but I'll be getting this jacket. :tup:
pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land »

This jacket looks black from the pics though, where as all the indy jackets have been a dark brown right? Is this jacket actually a VERY dark brown? I know when black distresses it gets that grayish, where as brown will be a lighter brown, makes sense, but it means that as this leather distresses, it will never look like an Indy jacket, correct?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thats the flash and weston sad he also had to adjust the contrast.

look at the top picture without flash. far from black. its an antique mid brown jacket.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

And I was wondering something....the last time I've ever seen a leather like this was on an Avirex A-2 from the early 90s. It was specifically "engineered" to distress and age very quickly...I wonder if this particular lambskin, which shares the same aesthetic properties as that Avirex lambskin, has been treated to the same engineering and will be aging as rapidly...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

If it's the same as my Wings (with an Averex sub-label) G-2, it's the antique lambskin that was designed to distress quickly. The leather feels nice enough and does start to show natural wear around the seams, but mine has an "orangeish" base underneath it that seems a little less "natural" to me. It's also more of a "flakey" distressing, if that makes any sense. I would hope they'd use a regular and not "treated" hide for these jackets. They deserve better, IMO.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Guys if the leather wears in quickly,will it wear out quickly?

Or is it a case of just wearing in a bit and then stopping?
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

...sigh...

I was contemplating not filling my order with all of the bad blood over the project, but darned if that isn't one of the greatest Indy jackets I've ever seen.

Not a big fan of the initial gloss, but over time I can see this being the pinnacle of Raiders jackets.

Thanks for sharing.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Rick-have you ever tried applying the Pecards leather gel to that jacket? It really darkens the undertones that show up as highlighting. My brother's Avirex of that "antiqued" lamb is light brown underneath...and I applied a little in some places for him...darkened it up and it stayed darker..looked really cool. If you tried it on that G-2, it MIGHT deepen that "orangish" coloring and makeit more russet in color...just a thought.
Guys if the leather wears in quickly,will it wear out quickly?

Or is it a case of just wearing in a bit and then stopping?
I can only speak for my experience with that particular leather...it is not a case of it wearing OUT faster..just achieving that "50-mission" look pretty quick. As with anyt leather, though...if you don't treat it periodically, it will eventually wear out.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Thanks Dawg :TOH: