What's your favorite Indy gun?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: What's your favorite Indy gun?

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Ditto that! And his wife has put grown men to shame with her accuracy!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've just read through my posts, and I'm puzzled. Where and when did I ever say I considered a .45 ACP was 'light'? :-k

Please show me so I can correct that statement. :shock:

I said I prefer revolvers, and that preference is the .44. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Took me a moment before that registered! :lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Michaelson wrote:I've just read through my posts, and I'm puzzled. Where and when did I ever say I considered a .45 ACP was 'light'? :-k

Please show me so I can correct that statement. :shock:

I said I prefer revolvers, and that preference is the .44. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Hey Michaelson,

With all the camaraderie and light hearted banter, I incorrectly assumed you were in agreement with _ about the "light" comment. Also, all the Magnum talk, too. I'm embarressed :oops:, I think I maybe over sensitive to 1911 slights, perceived or imagined. A thousand pardons, Sir. 'Nough said. :TOH:

Dan S
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No problem what so ever, my friend! =; :TOH:

Now, if we're comparing .44 mags to the 1911, THEN I'll say....yep, that's a light weight round! :-k

:CR:

:lol: ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Rascal! :lol:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

For Indy the Webley is fine and probably my fave. For myself, well, I'm more of a long-gun guy. I guess a cut-down, double-barreled "alley sweeper" has it's place, too - it's what I'd take along to the OK Corral.

Recently, though, I'm mostly shooting with a bow...

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I used to LOVE shooting a 65 pound pull compound bow, and actually got pretty good with one. Just got tired of ripping out hairs in my moustache due to the way I have to anchor my hand against my cheek, so after a while, I gave it up and sold my equipment.

I also love to shoot black powder minieball rifles. Have a Thompson .45 Hawken in the closet as we 'speak'. It's been literally YEARS since I rattled a round down THAT barrel.

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

My bow is a recurve @ 55lb. I'd really like to make a yew longbow and do some 100 Year War re-enactment...

I may be mistaken, but I think in some places there are specific "black powder" seasons.

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:I'm surprisingly accurate with the minieball. I'm able to keep a decent spread at 50 yards with the .577 I'm likely going to buy this weekend. I enjoy it.

At 100 and 200 yards I'm hitting the individual target I'm aiming at. It really is an enjoyable weapon. Are they legal for hunting?
Yes, during black powder season, but definitely a hunting weapon.

Check to see what calibers are legal during which season, though. A .577 may be a bit much for rabbit or squirrel. :-k :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

I’m rather fond of my S&W wheel guns. I own a N-Frame M22/M1917, K-Frame M10/RHKP, and a J-Frame M49/Saudi.

Cheers,
W-W
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Long John, you're a man after my own heart! I really encourage you to go for that Yew Longbow, and if you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Funny that the topic veered a little toward archery. _ I understand your reticence about hunting with the bow, I highly recommend the bow to anyone interested in hunting. There is no greater satisfaction in the sport than taking an animal with a bow, especially one made by your own hands. You have to get close enough to smell it!

But enough of that! Back to the topic at hand. My favorite Indy gun is the Webley, but I really wish he'd used a 1911, and hold out the hope that he will in Indy V.

Weston
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Smith&Wesson Handejector, just somethin´about revolvers...maybe it´s the westerns I´ve watched all my life.
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

_ wrote:I confess. I've fired 2 rounds from a 44mag. Peed myself. What you say makes sense. Might give it a try with a short barrel.

The "crack" is a little annoying. Even cuts through the ear protection...

The Glock is the most pleasant to shoot. I know... Blaspheme! But it's true. It's like a good cup of smooth coffee after downing tequila (the 357). But, I've also had enough jams at the range to give pause. I do use FBI light loads at the range. Heavy loads when hiking. Bears are big...
The jamming of autos is exactly why I like revolvers; they rarely jam. There has been an incredible amount of chatter in the gun world about Glock jams (and other autos as well) But, the polymer frame guns seem to get the most ardent critics and admirers. Either way, they seem to be a bit more finicky when it comes to gripping the gun/reacting to recoil and how that affects jams. Personally, I think it is due to a little bit more frame flex combined with a smaller mass and different (higher) center of gravity than an all metal auto allowing it to move more with (as opposed to resist) the recoil and thereby short cycle the action. Regardless, as long as you practice with it (a lot) before you carry it, it should not matter.

Also, speaking of .44Mag recoil, I used to compete in cowboy action shooting. One match, a fellow showed up with one of the then new American Derringer Co. guns in .44 Mag. Now, I was used to shooting .44Mag in double action revolvers and I used a .44Mag carbine and .44Mag single action revolver to compete (although downloaded to .44spl most of the time.)
Well, I gloved up and borrowed that .44mag derringer for a side match. I fired the first shot and regretted it. But, being young and stupid, I fired the second barrel. It hurt...a lot. You know that golf ball sized muscle inside the web of your thumb and forefinger? Well, mine felt like it came between an anvil and Thor's hammer for about a week. Never again.... ](*,)
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

I gotta say, Webley takes the cake. To me, the Bapty/Stembridge just seems kinda small.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

_ wrote:That's what I'm looking at now. Chip (above referenced friend) sent me some links just a few minutes ago... We might just plan a guys getaway around this instead of Vegas debauchery this year. A different way of bagging ones limit?

Yeah... As a teenager I competed in pistol. I never really enjoyed shooting rifle - but I do enjoy these minieballs... The load and the size of the round makes it fun. .577 packed with black powder vs an anemic .22?
_,

Please don't forgo Vegas debauchery as I live here now and would be MORE than happy to partake in that adventure!!!! Regardless, if you're ever in Vegas for any reason I would be happy to meet up with you and throw down a nice comped dinner, Vegas high roller style! lol

Gonna miss seeing you at the Summit this year. I'll have to get to Ireland soon for more debauchery. :shock:

Wade
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote: Guess I can test it by trying to walk into the Crazy Horse?
Yeah, but if your head explodes, what's the point? :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

:[
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

The Browning HP. It's the most reliable and has the largest amount of shots as well as being easier and quicker to reload.

:TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

_ wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
_ wrote: Guess I can test it by trying to walk into the Crazy Horse?
Yeah, but if your head explodes, what's the point? :-k

;)

Regards! Michaelson
It always explodes when I walk into the Crazy Horse... :-k

But, I have no need or desire to go to such establishments. I get all the visual and tactile stimulation I'd ever want simply by living with this angel I'm married to. And I don't need $20's... :-k :anxious:
Exactly...If your wife is anything like mine, you need $100's!!!! :Dietrich:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the Browning HP 35 is my favorite. :TOH:
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

My favorite, of all of them is the Stembridge S&W from RAIDERS, cracked & chipped grips and all! That one looked like the "tool" that it obviously was!

Ron
internaut
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by internaut »

WG :TOH:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Oh, hey, I must have missed the first run of this thread. So...

Bapty, followed closely by the HP.

Don't you all feel better now?