Correct Indy Gloves?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Correct Indy Gloves?

Post by RaidersBash »

indydude18 wrote:

The color of the gloves really seems to change from the 1st to 2nd picture :-k
Which color do you guys think is more accurate? or perhaps both colors were used?
my personal opinion is that there were more than one pair (Wells Lamont and Midwest), but that the gloves most would consider the "hero" gloves were well distressed tan. In certain scenes, because of dust but mostly due to the brightness of the desert sun which caused many items to become "washed out" (shirt looks stone instead of khaki, pants, etc) the gloves look more "white."

A quick run through of the movie scanning the "glove" scenes I think will lend more credence to this idea.
Mr_Vader
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr_Vader »

Just to follow up on these gloves, had a chance to weather them a bit with some old fashioned work and some Long Island dirt, clay and sand. I helped my dad move a couple of fence posts and tear out some old bushes.

Thinking they look pretty well distressed and Indy-ish, like I was hanging off the front of a truck and them dragged from behind it :)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Just thought I'd add mine into the mix...
:)

From top to bottom:
- Todd's Costumes (COYLE'S) Indiana Jones Gloves
- Wells Lamont Gloves (2500's, I think), but they're the same as the ones Tundrarider shows at the start of this Thread: they come with the palm strip, but like Tundrarider, I removed mine.
- Wells Lamont Gloves from Wade Egan

Image Image
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Good looking gloves, Mitch ;) :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I'm about to order a pair for 5 bucks. they are WL but they don't say which number they are.

they are gunn cut, double stitch elastic wrist band, straight thumb design, no inside palm patch. they are pretty SA but they come with a brown hem. not bad for 5 bucks tho...can we live with the brown hem? it kinda ruins it alittle don't it?.. I mean, it's now a choice between colored hem or wrong thumb design? what would your choice be?

why couldn't WL just keep the old style! :?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

is pigskin better then cowhide for work gloves?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Holt wrote:why couldn't WL just keep the old style! :?
Agreed. Makes me think that someone shoulda tried to talk 'em into a "30th Anniversary Re-Issue" :[

"For a limited time only! Supplies limited!"
;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

indydude18 wrote:Good looking gloves, Mitch ;) :tup:
Tundrarider wrote:Nice comparision, Mitch!
:oops:
Ooops... I meant to say "thanks" for those words, fellas... sorry about that.
Thanks! :)
...and while I'm catching up on things I missed, I meant to add these two shots as well showing off Wade’s fine work, as well…

Okay... I'm all good now.
:TOH:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Mitch LaRue wrote:
Holt wrote:why couldn't WL just keep the old style! :?
Agreed. Makes me think that someone shoulda tried to talk 'em into a "30th Anniversary Re-Issue" :[

"For a limited time only! Supplies limited!"
;)

I actually did try with them. They weren't too receptive, the guy laughed at me. :x
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

A missed opportunity for them, then... (and US, of course)

But I tip my hat to ya for at least tryin', Wade!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

so, how are the WL pigskins holding up Mitch? I see the stitching is getting pretty busted on your left finger. no?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi Holt,
Thanks for pointing that out, but I just checked and it turns out that it's actually not the stitching... that's just where the edge of one of the pieces of leather is just a bit ragged and "fluffy" from it's distressing... a little strand of leather fibre seems to have just come away from the rest of the piece. I just snipped it off. Stitching is still solid (so far)
:) :tup:
I can definitely say, however, that the middle pair of gloves (the "Cowhide 2500 Work Gloves" pair from which I removed the palm panel) definitely feel like they have the strength advantage for Real Word toughness.
Cheers
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks M. :TOH:

I am so torn between the pigskin 1133 with the keystone thumb or these..

these are so perfect and SA only the brown hem kinda ruins it. small detail I know...

http://www.qcsupply.com/77135-wells-lam ... oductfeeds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I have both the grain cowhide old stock gloves Mitch has there and the grain pigskin gloves Michael references though I only feature the cowhide version. I'm absolutely positive that the originals were cowhide as that is what WL told me were the only ones available back then. That and the look from the screen caps. Again, though, the guy kinda laughed when I told him why I was inquiring about such an old style. He was very polite overall though.

Here are the SA glove details in my opinion:

Grain cowhide.
Straight stitch elastic.
Keystone thumb.

W.E.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think I found the midwest keystone gloves.

it may not be them at all but to me it kinda looks like them. yellow colored gloves like the midwests are with keystone thumb. now, this may just be a fold in the leather or it really is the keystone seam. it looks like a seam since it goes round the thumb so perfectly. we know that there where reports about both WL and MW being used on set and personally I think i look like them and thats a good thing since I have always liked this aged yellowish color better then the whiteish WL. the yellow tan looks nicer with the gear if you ask me.

hmm? :-k

ImageImage
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I have a pair of the keyhole type and I love 'em!!!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Just recieved my yellowish Midwest gloves.

these really are top quality work gloves!!

they have the perfect color and with alittle aging I'm sure they wil look exactly like this. This is the look I am after. Maby these really are the Midwests. they have such a different color from the truck chase gloves.

all in all, I am VERY happy.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Holt wrote:Just recieved my yellowish Midwest gloves.

these really are top quality work gloves!!

they have the perfect color and with alittle aging I'm sure they wil look exactly like this. This is the look I am after. Maby these really are the Midwests. they have such a different color from the truck chase gloves.

all in all, I am VERY happy.
Holt, you gotta post some comparison shots! Where'd you get 'em from? :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

will do once broken in and aged..

thye are with the keystone thumb like I think I see on screen :tup:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Holt wrote:will do once broken in and aged..

thye are with the keystone thumb like I think I see on screen :tup:
I have a pair of the Midwest 340's, with the keystone thumb, and they are definitely more comfortable than the strait thumb. Plus, they're a little tougher than the Wells Lamont 1133's that are essentially their equivalent, so I can use them for gardening, etc, without worry. Just my 2 cents, but I like them.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

After perusing this thread, I had to have another look at my 'close-enough' gloves....And was pleasantly surprised as to their accuracy! I have no idea what the make is, but they're cowhide, straight thumb...Smooth leather that is a 'natural' (i'll call it 'almond') color...As is the stitching. The seam across the back of the wrist seems to be the correct configuration, as well. I've used them for years, and can't remember if I bought them or if I got them from my father... Anyway, they're staying in the Mk-VII!

I'll have to post pix when I can snap a couple.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Here's my Midwest:

They actually have a very light tan color to them, not anything like the image color in the Amazon photos. They were under $10 and are fairly comfortable. And they certainly need some distressing, so I'm starting to wear them to do just about everything.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I checked out the Auclair Design glove site and found these "Straight" thumb design gloves.

http://www.auclairgloves.com/products.cfm?uid=128

http://www.auclairgloves.com/products.cfm?uid=131
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I spent a little time playing in the mud with my pair of Midwests and will likely be wearing them fairly regularly over the next couple weeks to break them in nicely:

I'm pretty excited about these given how well I think they're turning out after only one day of working on them.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Those are ALREADY starting to look pretty great!
:) :tup:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

The more 'whiteish' gloves come in the package looking like this:

With a little ash, dirt, oil, rust, and water (or my pre-distressed style) they look like this:

Then with a lot of use and more dirt they take on this yellowish color like this:

So don't let the white color of the new WL and other gloves fool you. Even the sun can darken the white color to yellow in just one afternoon. I still think the best view of the screen used gloves we get is when Indy is on the front of the truck and grabbing onto the bending Mercedes hood ornament. JMO.

If you want the yellow look without all the dirt and oil marks, simply soak the gloves in warm water until they are soaked through and then let them dry in the sun naturally. You will find that they turn a yellow color when dried. Also, sand works great for that yellowing color. It doesn't stick to the leather but rather darkens and textures the leather giving it a more yellow color. If that's what is desired of course.

W
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I agree with you. the truck gloves shows a very accurate color to the well lamonts since thye are filmed in direct daylight. but there were reports on the midwest being on stage and the gloves Indy wears in the well of souls look alittle too yellow for being the same glove he wears in the truck scene.

these..

it looks like a glove that allready was pretty yellow and turned even more yellow...

but then again, to quote myself from what I said earlier in the leather jacket section.....

colors? we are chasing a ghost! lol.

:lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

lol, good point Tund :lol: :TOH:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Exactly Tundrarider! Look at his skin tone, it looks orange. Everyone's monitor and TV screen is different. If in fact Harrison used Wells Lamont gloves as deducted by most from Spielberg's statements and other accounts, then they were whitish at first but were made yellow by use. Just like any work glove.

W
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

My lady just walked in the door with a few pair of wells lamonts gloves for me. Thank you darling! :D

These are the 0122 gloves in tan and they have the old pattern thing still going on!! but they have 2 'mistakes' on them from the screen pair. one flaw is the huge thumb flap and the second is the dark brown hem. Other then this they have the straight thumb design, the gunn cut and the double elastic wrist band and with alittle tweaking you can get these to look even more SA.

So what did I do, I trimmed the huge thumb flap and I took out a bottle of bleach and dunked the clothtip in it and started soaking the brown hem carefully and alittle while later they turned into a tan looking color. The hem is still moist so bear that in mind. Once dry I think they come out pretty good looking.

Here you can see how they turned out so far...

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I could probably say that my indygear obsession started with gloves. In the mid eighties, it was the only thing I could easily find that was SA. Its great to see we can still get excited over such a small piece of gear!!!!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have allways been excited about the gloves and is what I really miss seeing in the later films. I'm sure if LC/CS Indy would have used gloves it would give him a totally different and more Raiders kinda look.

to me the gloves is a must for an adventurer.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Where did she pick up the 0122s?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I rinsed the cotton hem right after I took the pictures above and now the hem has dried up but the leather is still wet as you can see. this is the result it got after the bleach job, as you can see the hem got pretty much the same color as the glove. I'm pretty happy with the result. :D

lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Holt wrote:I rinsed the cotton hem right after I took the pictures above and now the hem has dried up but the leather is still wet as you can see. this is the result it got after the bleach job, as you can see the hem got pretty much the same color as the glove. I'm pretty happy with the result. :/img]
And where did your wife pick up the 0122s?
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cokewithvanilla »

I picked up some WL 1133L's from walmart today for $8

not bad.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

not bad. they are with keystone thumb and palm patch right?

oh, mind reducing the picture. little big. 640x480 or post a link :TOH:
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cokewithvanilla »

Holt wrote:not bad. they are with keystone thumb and palm patch right?

oh, mind reducing the picture. little big. 640x480 or post a link :TOH:
Yep. I will remove the palm patch eventually. I don't mind the lack of SA... they will be worn at work. I was just buying some rugged gear, and figured why not get some cool stuff while I'm at it.

Fixed. I always forget that I'm on a 1920x1080 monitor when I post... everything looks small
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Just for the sake of argument (not to start any further or discount what Holt is saying) I took the saturation down on this photo to give HF the proper skin tone and the color of the gloves turns to a much less yellow. I've compared this shot with the actual color on my Raiders DVD and think I got it pretty close. We all have to remember that in each scene (indoors and outdoors) the lighting would have been a touch different and in the Well of Souls scene there was a lot of firelight which casts a yellow tint on everything. But I think the skin tone, jacket and pant colors, as well as the glove colors are more correct in this version of the shot.

Again, just for the sake of argument. As always, to each his/her own.

W.E.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Here's a nice pair of WL gloves that fit the look and lined should you need something warmer. They have the straight thumb and the hem is already close in color to the leather.

LINED version
http://industrial.gloves-online.com/WK-0022

indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Wade Egan wrote:Just for the sake of argument (not to start any further or discount what Holt is saying) I took the saturation down on this photo to give HF the proper skin tone and the color of the gloves turns to a much less yellow. I've compared this shot with the actual color on my Raiders DVD and think I got it pretty close. We all have to remember that in each scene (indoors and outdoors) the lighting would have been a touch different and in the Well of Souls scene there was a lot of firelight which casts a yellow tint on everything. But I think the skin tone, jacket and pant colors, as well as the glove colors are more correct in this version of the shot.

Again, just for the sake of argument. As always, to each his/her own.

W.E.
This picture is blowing my mind. Look at how light HF's trousers are :-k
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Has anybody mentioned this shot just as they discover the snakes in the Well of Souls?

It clearly says "Large" on HF's glove. Do any of the MLs or MWs have the sizes on the gloves like this? Or if they don't now, did they in the past?
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

ShanghaiJack wrote:Has anybody mentioned this shot just as they discover the snakes in the Well of Souls?

It clearly says "Large" on HF's glove. Do any of the MLs or MWs have the sizes on the gloves like this? Or if they don't now, did they in the past?
That is a cool discovery, though it's also possible that wardrobe labeled sizes on the gloves so that if a stuntman wore a different size, they could distinguish them easily. Of course, as I write that, I question why it would be on the exterior of the glove...
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

It's hard to tell for sure but on my iPhone it sure looks like some sort of logo in the center of an oval (no not a blue oval :)) just above the "Large" in the palm.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Thanks Shanghai, I was looking for my screen grab of that same image, but you beat me too it!
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

lantzn,
I just checked and started to say that I thought it was just the distressing, but after taking another look I think you might be right. I'll monkey around with the image a bit and see if I can make it out.

Adventure Dog,
I just happend to stumble across it last night while I was watching Raiders and I had just read this thread so I thought I'd get a cap in case it hadn't been discussed before. :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Re: Correct Indy Gloves?

Post by Hollowpond »

ShanghaiJack wrote:Has anybody mentioned this shot just as they discover the snakes in the Well of Souls?

Holy stuff dude!!!! I have NEVER noticed this. How in the world did you ever see that?
Great discovery!!!!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That is an awesome find!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can only imagine what other gems the 1080p will give us. :-k =P~
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes, this has been covered quite a few times...