Sergei (funeral service held 1/17/09)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I just found out this news as Jerry added me to a friend on facebook.

Walt was always one of those people who I wanted to meet, and as I recall was unable to make to the QM back in 2005 and I am deeply saddened to hear that he has passed on.

I can only hope that he is now at peace.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Walt loved Manny Oquendo & Libre. Some years ago we had the pleasure of seeing them at the Queen Mary, of all places. The song “Chiquilla Ideal” was his favorite. He told me that he had road trips where he listened to that song on repeat the whole way through. I have a band and we sometimes play that song (in honor of Walt and another friend of mine that loves the song). The thought of Walt had become synonymous with the song, for me.

Unfortunately over the last few years I’d spoken and hung out with Walt all too infrequently. He’d gone through many trying things in his life over the last number of years. I’d also been involved with my own life. Whenever I saw him, it was always so great that I invariably told myself to do a better job at keeping in touch with him. Little did I know.

http://www.rhapsody.com/manny-oquendo/los-new-yorkinos
http://www.emusic.com/album/Manny-Oquen ... 03058.html
http://www.emusic.com/album/Los-New-Yor ... 92385.html
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm sure no one was attempting to trivilize anything in the discussion above regarding the '21 whip salute'.

Some folks deal with grief differently than others, and their suggestion as a way to honor Walt was well intended.

Regards! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

He is missed already. I regret I never got to meet him in person, but do take his lesson, celebrate life.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Sergei had more strength of character than anyone I have met in the Indy circle. Time and time again he demonstrated his loyalty of our friendship. He was a good man.

I will miss my friend.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Man, those photos bring back old memories, MK.

Thank you!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hi,

I just got confirmation on the time/place for a service for Walt.

Services for Walt will be held on Saturday, January 17 at 2pm on the North Lawn at the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

Rancho Bernardo Inn

17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr

San Diego, CA 92128

(858) 675-8500

http://www.ranchobernardoinn.com

Many of us are bringing photos we had of all the good times we had with Walt.

All are welcome. Please pass this information on to anyone who may want to know.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I didn't know the man but the face I have seen many, many times. Sorry the hear the very sad news.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

This is such sad news...

Walt was a friend and a highly respected colleague. He and I were kindred sprits in our passion for whips and cracking and it was he who convinced me to moderate Club Obi Wan’s bullwhip forum when he could no longer give it his full attention. Walt and I go way back, I am shocked by his passing and although we hadn’t spoken since earlier last year, I regret not having the chance to speak to him one more time or having a chance to say goodbye.

This is huge loss on many levels and I post this with a heavy heart, My thoughts and prayers especially go out to his family and friends. "Celebratin' Life" was Walt’s motto, and hearing all your kind words is a true testament to the good he has done and the friends he’s made in that life.

Dan
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sergei but he was known to me as one of the "old hands" in in the forum, and his presence will be missed :(
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Sounds like he was a true gentleman. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

I know I already posted but I needed to share this.

One QM, I believe it was 2006, we were smoking cigars (Walt gave me my first) on the Observation Bar. Rundquist, Koreana Jones and several others were present.

A very VERY drunk individual asked Walt for a cigar (as they always do) and he graciously gave him his best (as he always did) The man lit it up, thrilled, not realizing that for the next thirty minutes we would have him convinced (much to Walt and Rundquist's amazing wit and timing) that he was in the presence of the distinguished flying Indys (formerly the flying Elvis's) Walt played the Raiders march through Rundquist's boom box, silencing us all, placing his hand on his heart and telling us all "be quiet." We were near tears laughing so hard when we realized our drunk friend bought it all hook, line and sinker. His hat was on his heart and his head was down in silent respect to the obvious God he was in the presence of.

I will NEVER forget that. Walt made my night (a bad night actually) with that moment, a moment that will even outlive me.

CELEBRATE LIFE EVERYONE!
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

Ahhh... Heather. My close encounters of the swinger kind. What a fantastically strange evening.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Oh my Lord. #-o

How Walt kept a straight face through that exchange, I'll NEVER know. I was sitting there with a 'deer in the headlights' expresssion oon my face as my long day was catching up with me, I was slowly feeling the warmth of a Jack and Coke, and I was watching Walt explain in full detail to Heather what our hobby was all about. She was so sloshed, he could have been speaking Arabic for all she was concerned. She was more interested in telling us about all the snakes they had back in Texas....water moccasins they were....

_, on the other hand, had slowly moved his chair sideways behind a post so he could watch the whole thing without this 'Heather' catching his complete amusement over the entire situation.

That I will NEVER forget. Water Mocccasin Heather! :roll:

By the way, _, You DID know they had Water Moccasin's in Texas where she was from, didn't you? You did? Well, anyway, let me explain..... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Sad news indeed. I may have never met the man in person but my hat is off in hand in respect of him. My condolences to his family & to those who knew him best.
He had the perfect motto of "Celebrate Life", that most of us tend to forget in our daily lives. Something good to always keep in mind. Sorry we lost you sir.

Cheers!

Dan
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

In salute to Walt

Post by Canuck Digger »

I bow my head and tip my hat and crack my whip in salute to Walt.

Though I never had the pleasure and priviledge, through you, his friends, I was given a brief glimpse of the light that he brought to those he met. People with that simple and funny grace, are examples of the best that humans can become.

Though I didn't know him, I wish I had. Remember him and keep him alive not only in your hearts and minds, but here too. He deserves that much.

Regards,

Franco
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I regret that I won't be able to get down to Rancho Bernardo on Saturday, I'm committed to something bigger than myself, but Walt would approve. I *was* going to quietly - offline - ask a few other locals who may be attending as well to bring their whips, and afterwards - in some other venue, private, not anywhere near the services, we could perform the 21 cracks for Walt. Discreet.

Instead I'll stop to think of Walt at the time of his services, and then go back to celebrating life. I should be at that time on the side of a snowy mountain with a whole tribe of six-year-olds, sliding sideways and shouting 'woohoo'...much as Walt suggested.

Thanks for your stories, guys, and you should know that it's of greater benefit than just for ourselves. When my father passed several years ago, there was a similar online outpouring, and our family was comforted and warmed to see how many other people he had touched in his life that we had never known about. We printed out all the posts and kept them in a book, and sometimes when I visit the old family homestead I still flip through them. I hope Walt's friends and family are similarly comforted by your stories, and know that you are writing these for them to read as well.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

I can't believe it. I haven't been posting here in a while but back when I used to be a more frequent poster, Walt was always very kind and understanding. I met him at the Queen Mary summit in 2004...he helped me learn how to use a whip there and handed me my first accurate fedora after I won it at the dinner that night.

I didn't know him very well but he will be missed, and my condolences go out to his family.

Rest in Peace
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I will only add one more memory of Walt.....at the last QM summit I attended, I can attest to Adam's post regarding his love for salsa music. After dinner, folks started gathering at the Observation Lounge, and I believe it was Adam who had brought a portable CD player with him and some salsa CD's. They set up shop outside the back of the Lounge, turned on the music (we had that Elvis inpersonator wailing away in the Lounge. He was ok, but completely wrong for our crowd), and there stood Walt, Adam, _, and several others, smoking cigars, talking, and enjoying the music coming out of Adam Rundquist's CD player.

It was plain that Walt was the hub of that group, as they were all standing around him, and just enjoying each others company. It was a time I really felt out of place, and I felt I just didn't belong with that classy group of men who were all in their 'comfort zone', if that makes any sense. I just turned around and went for a walk on the ship.

It just looked.....right, and I was sad I wasn't a member of that clique and knew I never could be. I knew I was welcome...but I would definitely be a 5th wheel to a perfect running machine. As sad as I felt about it, it was strangely satisfying too, as you rarely see folks so comfortable with others and in their own skin as that group looked that night, and I know Walt made them feel that way.

Regards! Michaelson

Edit made to correct spelling errors
Last edited by Michaelson on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

That was perfect, Michaelson. That's my favorite image of him: comfortable in the company of good friends.

MK, thanks for the pics. The antlers one has always been my favorite...he did that with such a straightface...Captain of The Flying Indy's, rest in peace.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Walt was a terrific and generous man. Such terrible news.
Back in the days of the original SoCal Tribe, I always looked forward to seeing him @ our many get togethers aboard the QM or @ the Buchanan Arms in Burbank.
I feel honored to have known him both on the board and in life, I was happy to attend his 50th birthday a few years back and to have him present at my wedding.
I'll never forget his white dinner jackets or how he ALWAYS placed his MK golden fertility idol on the table when we'd eat @ Sir Winston's!
So long Walt.
PBG
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Does anyone remember this 2004 poster he had made for his company way back when?

Regards! Michaelson
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Wow, seeing these pictures are incredible. I sem to recall he made that poster for a trade show he was going to with a new product he was working on.

And that QM lounge evening you speak of, I believe was actually the birth of "The Flying Indy's" that Dan mentioned above.

It was funny, because regular folks were coming out to the back deck to listen to Adams boombox and not Elvis...

That was some night!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

As gentle a soul as Walt was (as attributed by the post upon post above), he was also a bohemian in every sense of the word, a real animal. In his younger days he was a glass eater. And when I say “eater”, I mean “eater” and not “chewer”. He had a real lust for life. He loved music. He liked anything that was hot. He was also a man of taste. His sense of humor was fantastic. I don’t think that I could come up with anything negative to say about him if I tried. That’s pretty rare. Let’s face it. We’re all human. We all have flaws. I never saw any with Walt.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I have never met him in person, but followed him on many adventures here on the forum.
But into the Great beyond he goes first.
He will be missed, and all my condolences to his family and friends.
Ron
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Don't think I had the pleasure of speaking with him, even in posts...But he always struck me as one of the greats...And by the wealth of tribute in this thread, he definitely was.

I regret I'll not be able to share stories, a cigar, and martini or two...Until maybe I make it to 'Gear heaven'....

He will be missed.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I don’t think that I could come up with anything negative to say about him if I tried.
Thats all I ever knew of him. I cannot recall him ever being cross with anyone...ever. He was only polite and courteous and willing to share his time, talent and intelligence with others, most of which he did not know personally. This is why I say he was a friend to many and an enemy of none.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He may have been the only mod we've had to never get any grief over edits. ;-)
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

One of my favorite stories he told here (from an old thread) about Whip Safety... do NOT try this at home....
Sergei wrote:...But I will tell you my story. I got a brand new 10 foot whip when I first started. Only having cracked 8 footers up to that time, I tried to do a "reverse horizontal" for the first time on the 10 footer. Snap, right into my left eye. I mean I couldn't even blink, it smacked right straight into my left eyeball. The blow from the whip knocked me down.

I got up after 5 minutes and opened both eyes. I could see, but I sensed that something about my left eye was wrong. I closed my right eye, and I could not see ANYTHING from my left. I could see that it was light out, but I couldn't see the blue from the sky or green on the grass. It was like someone spread a whole jar of vaseline right into my eye. What was worse after 10 more minutes of sitting on the ground, it wasn't getting any better. I got up, and very determinedly, cracked off the "reverse horizontal" and took the slow 10 minute hike back to my car.

I then had to drive 30 minutes on a busy highway to the closest ER. Making a left hand turn or merging left without any vision from your left eye is impossible. If you don't beleive me, close your left eye and try to merge left. I get to the ER and the nurse gives me an "EYE CHART" to read. I told her, you don't understand, I can't even see the wall that the "EYE CHART" is on. Well she called in the Opthamologist on call. My vision slowly started to come back after about 1 1/2 hours after the incident. The Opthamologist examines my eye and tells me, I have a BAD RETINAL BLEED. About 25% of my eyeball filled up with blood. The good news is that it shouldn't get higher than 25%. However, he wanted me to go home (with someone else driving of course) and have my wife monitor my blood level in my eye. If it went beyond a certain level in my eye, I needed to have surgery to repair the blood vessel leaking. More bad news.... He told me that I needed to take a whole week off from work and both eyes needed to be blindfolded so to minimize any eye movement from the left eye. Reason? In about 30% of the cases such as mine, the blood vessel BURSTS and we would then have a medical emergency. So his strict instructions were, complete and total bed rest with my eyes completely blind folded for an entire week.

Bottom line: 3 months after the injury, the same doctor examines my left eye for a complete check up. My vision was now a remarkable 20-15, it improved!!!!! I asked, "what's with that Doc?" He said, that I invented a new form of Lasix Eye Surgery. A new version that he will not even bother to publish. :-) We laughed and he told me to always be carefull. Yeah, yeah... But I knew I dodged a bullet.

So the tale from above, I can not stress enough to everyone to minimally wear safety glasses, and a hat with a brim. Over time like I said, you develop a 6th sense. The cracks I do now when I practice have over hundreds of hours invested in them. However, whenever I am learning a new crack, on go the glasses and hat. In fact, if you ever get Mike Murphy tapes, you see him wearing the glasses and hat. And he has been cracking ever since he could walk!

-Sergei
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My favorite story was the one he told about taking a Staff of Ra headpiece through security at an airport (LAX?), and having to explain what it was when it was spotted on x-ray in his Mk VII bag.

He said his conversation with two airport security guards was almost a word for word reading of the Raiders scene between Indy and the two Government men in the lecture hall when they asked HIM what the headpiece of the Staff of Ra was.

He said it was hard to do with a straight face too. They actually had no clue it was being done to them either!

Regards! Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Every time I try to post something in this thread, I have to stop due to choking up or getting misty-eyed... I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post now or ever because of the timing.

Walt/Sergei gave me a piece of advice back in the Spring of 2004 when I was on a one man crusade against a bad hatter who had really done the community wrong. Sergei asked me if that's how I wanted to be remembered: As the guy who really hated and had a vendetta against another? He warned me not to make my ranting about that idiot over-shadow his misdeeds. Since then, there are times when I have been tempted to just go for someone's jugular vein and those words come back as if he just sent them to me via a private message that morning.

That's what good people do, they have a positive effect on you and remind you of your better self. It seems obvious at this moment, but in this era of sensationalism is easy to forget.

There's proof that there is a heaven since angels and grace have been among us...
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

I myself never knew him but the stories I have read in this post alone make him out to be a great man. I wish that I had the pleasure of meeting him.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

More information added regarding the funeral, plus a location for donations:
Sorry for the redundant information, but we have added information on a place the family asked for donations to be made.

Dave

Everyone,

There have been several separate email threads on notes for Walt's service and other details. So in order to make sure everyone has all the latest and final information, Dave and I pulled the following together. If you have any questions ... please send us a note or just call.

I am sure we'll see many of you tomorrow,

-Randy

-Dave

SERVICE - CELEBRATION OF LIFE

Walt simply loved the RB Inn, and Julie felt it would be the perfect place for a "Celebration of Life" service. Here are the exact times and the address in case you have not been there before. The service will be outside, so feel free to dress casually.

-- Rancho Bernardo Inn
-- Saturday, January 17, at 2pm
-- Outside on the "North Lawn"

Rancho Bernardo Inn
17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr
San Diego, CA 92128
(858) 675-8500
http://www.ranchobernardoinn.com

GATHERING AFTER THE SERVICE

After the service is over, everyone is welcome to gather again at my home. We live just a couple of miles from the RB Inn. A number of people are organizing food, beverages, etc. for the gathering. Here is my address:

Randy & Peggy Smerik
13363 Fallen Leaf
Poway, California 92064

(619) 980-9652

DONATIONS IN WALT'S NAME

One of Walt's all-time favorite places is Sedona, Arizona. Julie would like to have anyone interested in making a donation to make it to the "Keep Sedona Beautiful" volunteer organization.

Here is the web site that includes a section for donations (at the bottom of the home page):

http://www.keepsedonabeautiful.org

Please indicate that the donation is for Walt Rybinski, and the two contact people there are Jan and Wendy.

-Randy & Dave
Dave has also supplied the link to this thread to all Walt's family and friends to read, so please take note of this as you post and continue to show respect to the memory of our lost friend.

Thank you.

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I never got to really know Walt as some of you members here do personally. But I remember that he told me in a PM or on my thread that we went to Purdue, and that he remembered many good times here. He was always really into whips and when I got my Joe Strain whip he was one of the first to comment on it, he even have me help on how to change the popper and cracker on a whip. He seemed like a man who wanted to help others in this hobby of ours. For the stories he told and from those of you sharing stories you have experienced with Walt/Sergei, I thank you for sharing those with us here. I was truely in shock to learn of his death the other day, and I just did not know what to say. Life is too short and we need to live life knowing that any day we could be gone. Again I did not know Walt, and from the things you people have shared, he sounds like a good man, who enjoyed life. I guess it makes me think how I need to live out my dash, what do I want to be remembered as? I wish I had the chance to meet Walt in my life and thanks again guys for sharing these stories about him.

IndianaChris
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Very sad news. I regret that I wasn't able to know him in person. He was one of the friendliest, most generous people I've ever encountered in life.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Never knew the man,but from the way everyone talks about him he sounds like quite the fellow. My condolenses to family and friends.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Sometimes I miss the news announcements and just saw this. I certainly did not "know" Sergei but it is apparent by the great posts I've just read that he lives on as he certainly seems to have genuinely touched everyone who did know him. He definitely sounds like he was quite an amazing guy.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

So Sad

Post by Kilgour Trout »

I feel so blessed I finally met Walt just this last November!
He was the very first person I ever spoke with from COW over 7 years ago and he was every bit the wonderful, warm guy I spoke and emailed
for over those years. Even from so far away he made such an impression.
that I immediately respected, admired and thought of him as a familiar friend.

I am shocked and saddened at is loss.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all of us who knew him.
I will miss him.

Rob
Kilgour
Williamson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Williamson »

What a great testimony to someoneone who impacted so many lives through the years. Reading all the heartfelt sentiments and old war stories brings back so many fond memories.
Like many of us here on the east coast we never got to meet in person but I will always remember our exchanges of emails...the times we shared in the Chat room with Sergei, Michaelson, MK _ and along with some of us "older" fellows were very enjoyable. I will always be indebted to him for his bullwhip advice and encouragement. He was always generous with his time and and a source of encouragement for everyone at COW. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Kind regards,
Williamson
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

oh my - I was off the site for a few days and to come back to this news is, well...devastating! Sergei and I had only PM'd briefly a few times, but I always though of him as a gentleman with a great deal of 'presence' and integrity. It's a funny thing when you feel an emotional loss at someone whom you haven't even met, yet reading through this thread, I am choked up and truly, deeply saddened at this news...I regret that I don't have any wonderful pics or stories about the man, but it seems that, through members of this site, his memory will live on as one of THE premier members of this community, nay this family!

God speed, Walt
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

While I was digging around site files to upload our announcement on the main site and take care of Walt's account, I came across his signature in his profile and it brought a tear to my eye.

I thought I'd share it once again with everyone here.
Sergei wrote:...Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

..."Celebratin Life"...
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Gater wrote: ...his memory will live on as one of THE premier members of this community, nay this family!
I think it would be a wonderful tribute to Walt if we remembered that, remember how he treated all of us, like members of his family.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

This is such sad sad news. I never met him, but it felt as if I had.
He cast a long shadow, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that he cast a wide beam of light.
He was an icon, and from everything I heard, an exemplary man.
The world is just that much smaller without him.
I will take a moment to celebrate his life.
Thank you, my friend, and Godspeed.
dejahthoris
Scoundrel

Post by dejahthoris »

Hello All,

Just wanted to take some time here and share with you my experience of going to Walt's funeral yesterday.

The drive out was actually very lovely (nearly 2 hours). 78 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. The area of Rancho San Bernardo is located inland from Oceanside roughly 21 miles in San Diego county here in Southern California.

I had heard that Walt really loved Rancho Bernardo Country Club, and I can see why. The grounds are nothing short of an oasis in an area that can get pretty hot during the summers. The main building I walked into had gorgeous hard wood floors, Mission style furniture, great fireplaces for the colder months. The exterior of the buildings and landscape really seemed to sum up classic Southern California style with the Spanish influences. On the grounds, everywhere I turned there were water fountains, from gentle trickling fountains to more classic romanesque garden fountains. There was a pool, numerous seating spaces nestled here and there for folks to while away the afternoons. It was a classy place for a classy man.

Walt's "Celebration of Life" was at the North Lawn, which has in all likeliness hosted many a wedding, celebration, and memorial service I'm sure.

I had arrived quite early (better to be early when you don't know the area you are going to). I wandered to the celebration location about 20 minutes before it was scheduled to begin. At first I didn't know anyone there, and decided to sit down and take it all in. The lawn area had what I would estimate to be about 100 chairs for guests, some enlarged photos of Walt on easels and cool beverages and snacks for all to enjoy. Classical music filled the air. And the mood was not somber; while the sadness of the situation was certainly hanging in the air, the kindness and support of the many people arriving really outweighed the loss. The mood was respectful, supportive and loving.

I continued to observe, scanning the ever increasing numbers for someone I might know. I knew Daniel (Riser) and Rundquist would be there. I was hopeful _ would be there, but I knew he couldn't make it. Finally, I saw Daniel and Rundquist arrive, and ran up to greet them. Daniel and I had spoken earlier in the week and knew we had to connect at the service. We were both so devastated by the shock and loss that we knew that we had to be there for Walt, and ultimately to help promote our own healing.

We took seats and it soon became clear that there weren't enough. Staff hustled to set up more seats for folks, and even upon increasing the seats as far as they could, it was still standing room only. It became very clear, very quickly, that many wanted to come and pay their respects for a very special man.

Catholic Monsignor Echer did the invocation, and surprisingly brought a little levity to the air. Lauren Rybinski, one of Walt's nieces, did the prayer. Tricia Dowler, another one of his nieces, did the reading. Both were very moving. But when Walt's brother, Michael, got up to speak, it was tough for us all. Michael shared that he was 7 years older than Walt. As he began to relate some stories to us, he fought back tears, which moved me to tears as it was. Michael shared that their family were political refugees that escaped Russia and began a new life in Venezuela where Walt was borne. He related stories of his taking his little baby brother to the busy market place, and how one time Walt scampered ahead and he lost him. He was, naturally, quite relieved when he found him.

He related how when they immigrated to the United States, they settled in a farm that had 125 acres back east. I'm sorry, but I don't recall the state exactly. But he talked about how they raised chickens and cows and such, and how he remembered vividly how he had his first car accident on that farm. He was under age, didn't have a license, but drove the family car around the farm. Michael related that there was a large oval road on the property, and he'd practice driving on that road. Apparently Walt would hide in the bushes and lob green apples at the car when Michael would drive by, and one time this happened, he side-swiped a tree. He said he didn't dare say anything to the parents, but when they finally asked, he blamed it all on Walt.

Michael described Walt as an incredibly smart technology guy. He remembered when he and Walt hooked up two Apple IIe's together and sent a message, "hi," and how excited they were about the accomplishment. But Walt's love for technology was indeed one of his many passions and gadgets were part of that. Michael also said his passions branched out to fine wine, expensive cigars, and photography. He also related that Walt showed an interest in cryptography even as far back as preschool!

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5 Opus 64 was played.

After the music, 5 speakers gave tributes to Walt's spirit. Randy Smerik (I believe he said he was Walt's friend for over 20 something years) related some stories about him, again pointing to the passion. He said Walts favourite film of all time was <i>Animal House</i> and that the craziness of the film was funny enough very much how Walt approached things.

Dave Finlay, whom worked with Walt, related how that whenever he wanted to find out what kind of item to buy (whether it was wine or a camera), Walt would immediately help Dave in his research. Walt apparently loved researching things, particularly those he was passionate about and Dave said that no matter what it was, he would immerse himself fully into whatever it was he wanted to get into, bullwhips included.

Jim Kirchmer, another friend of Walt's, apparently graduated with him at Purdue. He recanted how he met him on interview day, and Walt showed up to his interview in a worsted wool suit (no surprises there), with a perfectly buttoned vest, starched oxford shirt, perfect tie, a perfect attache case with the buckles on the side, and wingtip shoes. He set the standard. They all worked for the same company, and he recounted how when the company was considering moving to San Diego (a move that would have 20 families making a cross-continental move), Walt went out, shot numerous photos of the famous San Diegan landmarks, including Coronado Island, and presented a completely thorough slide show to the families. In true fashion to Belushi's character, he proclaimed at the end, "OK, let's do this thing!" though apparently it took another round of convincing before he was able to rally the troops.

John Bowker, his brother-in-law, spoke of him as a wonderful father and husband, and related how fully-present he was in the family. He then helped up Norma Harrington, Walt's wife's mom, and she spoke affectionately of him, relating how he always spent Sundays with her husband when he was in ailing health. She said she couldn't have asked for a better son-in-law.

After the comments, Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Love Theme was played. It was incredibly moving.

The Monsignor and Walt's brother did the closing words, as well as one of the ladies reading from Scripture if I remember correctly. The ceremony was closed with Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto B Flat Minor.

After the ceremony, Daniel and Rundquist visited briefly with MK while I sent a note to Jerry and Rick that the ceremony was completed. Daniel and I spoke about how much Walt had meant to us, but we both found ourselves pleasantly surprised that we felt far more at peace from having attended the ceremony. We both concluded that Walt was free, and that we both were blessed to have had him in our lives when we did.

After the ceremony, Daniel and Rundquist and I went and had dinner on our own rather than joining the after service celebration. Given that we really didn't know all the folks there, we felt it fitting to dine together and raise a glass in his honour.

The photo that you see was taken by one of Rundquist's friends. I had left the formal black blazer in the car and grabbed the jacket in honour of Walt instead.

As I made the drive home that night, I realized one very important message that resonated through all the speakers there. Despite the sadness, the shock, and grief of Walt's passing, his zest for life, his passion, his authentic spirit, and his incomprehensible generosity, compassion, and worth of his friendship to the numerous people that knew him was absolutely worth embracing, worth remembering, worth cherishing. The loss is what it is and we can't change that, as much as we'd like to. But his life was a full one, lived fully, and we need to learn from that.

I remember a quote I read from, of all people, Oprah Winfrey. She said, "What were you here to teach me that only your death could show me?" And as I have now said good-bye to Walt, I realize I'll be considering the numerous lessons from Walt's life for some time to come.

(edited once to correct Winfrey quote)
Last edited by dejahthoris on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks for the detailed recap, Yvette. It sounds like it was a really nice memorial, in a really nice place, with a really nice mood, too.

I've been to a few funerals, and it's always nice when the group can acknowledge the sadness of having lost somebody, but at the same time embrace the memory of that person and, fittingly, celebrate their life. It sounds like this was absolutely the case, and I'm glad to hear it!

Shane
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Thank you Yvette for posting the details of the services for those of us who could not attend.
dejahthoris
Scoundrel

Post by dejahthoris »

You are most welcome, gentlemen. My description hardly does it justice, nor the impressiveness of numerous people there for him.

Really, the cliche statement about the measure of a man is shown by the company he keeps (or however that goes) was enormously reflected by those I witnessed there.

It was really a privilege to bear witness to the experience.

Best,
Y./Dejah
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Dejah, It sounds like it was a very fitting memorial to celebrate Walt's life. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

This has been weighing heavy on my mind over the last few days and I admittedly choked up a bit reading though your post, but knowing that some of his friends/family from the Indy Gear community were able to be there in person to pay their respects and say Godspeed is very comforting, i know Walt would have liked that also.

All the best.

Dan
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Thank you, Yvette, that was beautiful. I really appreciate you sharing that with us to aid in our closure as well. I'll go listen to those classical pieces as soon as I can.

J
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

If those pieces were Sergei's favourites he had excellent taste imo.

Sergei was always one of my favourite people on cow. I always looked out for his posts.