Indy's Cigars

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

You would probably be amazed how many celebrities do "non-PC" things like smoking. However, they're aware their looks pay the bills and are more conscious of things like tobacco stained teeth than most of us probably would be. I'm sure most celebrities that smoke probably have their teeth whitened, even a rough "man's man" like Ford.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

canyon, don't be. I tell my temle what to do, not the othere way around. OK , kidding all a side smoking cigars are not the same as cigareetes ( no inhaling ).
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

When I smoke cigars I inhale them. It's just how I smoke them. I also smoke cigarettes and an occasional pipe. I'm no chain smoker but I do enjoy one from time to time. I'm not in the best of shape but I did outrun a 19 year old and I'm 36. So one CAN be in shape and still smoke. Regular chain smokers I can't see it being as easy.

Indy does drink. He was totally drunk in Cairo when he was saved by Salla's kids from Belloch. He also had a drink in TOD. Just because we don't see him smoke doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy one from time to time. It's just not a monkey on his back. :wink:
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

What are talking about? In RAIDERS, he DID have a monkey on his back in Cairo :shock: :lol:
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

Touche' :wink:

I couldn't find Indy smoking but I did find this.

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

slap a fedora on his head and call it good.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

It's great to see all the action this topic has stirred up!! My thanks to all those that have contributed thier thoughts, ideas, and sugestions. As far as discovering an answer to my original question of what type of cigar Indy would smoke, I guess we will never know!! I'll leave it up to my own judgement of what I like and simply transfer it to my Indy personna when called for.

Thanks again and I look forward to read any further comments on this subject as they arise!!
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Buff is right about Travolta, he doesn't smoke and makes a pretty bad job of it in Pulp Fiction. I was a smoker for 24 years so I think i can spot a fake :wink: .
You can run fast when you smoke -but you run faster when you quit, believe me.
I never knew that HJ smoked? I haven't seen him smoke. Can someone please tell me where and on what disk we see him smoke as Han Solo.

-K
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Yeah, I just watched Pulp Fiction and because of this thread, I paid attention to Travolta's smoking. It may have been Pulp Fiction after all, that I had read about them cutting away to avoid showing the actor smoke.

Most of the time, Travolta holds the cigarette in his mouth or in his hand and does not smoke it. A lot of the times when he did take a puff, they would cut to another actor before he would exhale. There were a couple of times when he was shown blowing the smoke out, and in those scenes it was pretty obvious that he did not inhale the smoke.

I smoked for about 20 years, until it gave me cancer. I haven't smoked in over ten years. Quitting is hard, but once you beat the habit, you don't even miss it. Starting to smoke was the absolute dumbest thing I ever did in my life and the biggest regret I have.

It is kind of a coincidence that we are having this discussion on the forum at this particular time. I have a doctor's appointment in six more days to have a test to make sure the cancer has not returned. The test is not enjoyable at all, and I have resigned myself to the fact that it is the curse that I have to live with. It actually makes me angry that I ever started to smoke. Actually, angry is not the exact word I would like to use, but is the only one acceptable on a family friendly forum.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Bufflehead Jones wrote: Starting to smoke was the absolute dumbest thing I ever did in my life and the biggest regret I have.
You and me both Buff. Not only was starting to smoke stupid but when you end up with 3 kids you tend to fear the old saying "Monkey see monkey do"
Luckily non of my kids has started to smoke -yet [-o<

I will cross my fingers for you.

Best regards
Kim
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

If ya really want a good example..watch Cosner in Untouchables. He pulls out a cigarette every 5 minutes, but every time he is gunna light it, something 'comes up' and distracts him, so he puts it down/away. We're supposed to think he's a smoker, but never actually see him smoke!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well, I went yesterday and had the annual test that I have to get, due to the cancer that was caused from me smoking cigarettes. I know that it is due to smoking, as it is almost 100% a smokers desease. This form of cancer is almost nonexistent in nonsmokers.

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I am still cancer free and don't have to have this test for another year. The bad news is, the test is as painful or moreso, than I remember it being last year.

I hope the young folks on this forum learn from my mistakes and never start smoking. Smoking is not cool, it is stupid.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Well, I went yesterday and had the annual test that I have to get, due to the cancer that was caused from me smoking cigarettes. I know that it is due to smoking, as it is almost 100% a smokers desease. This form of cancer is almost nonexistent in nonsmokers.

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I am still cancer free and don't have to have this test for another year. The bad news is, the test is as painful or moreso, than I remember it being last year.

I hope the young folks on this forum learn from my mistakes and never start smoking. Smoking is not cool, it is stupid.
That is excellent news that you have checked out clear.

I lost my dad to lung cancer, he was not a smoker, well he was for maybe 3 years in his 20's. He worked all his life in a smoky environment, restarants, bars... So what got him was "passive smoking". Cause of death: Metastatic cancer of the lung. By the time we found out about it it had already spread to his brain, it was too late. Why would you check for lung cancer in a non smoker after all?

He was 64, 2 days off from his 65th birthday when he died.

So people who smoke, I'm not going to stop you, or try to stop you. You know it's dangerous, you know it might kill you. The statistics say two thirds of smokers die from smoking related illnesses. Just please be considerate where you smoke. Stop killing other people with your habit. Please.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Great news Buff, I'm really glad that you tested OK.
So now your fit for the Finger Lake summit :clap: \:D/

KT, sorry to hear about you dad, I agree with you.

Best regards
-K
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

I'm glad that Indy didn't smoke in the movies,it would have been much harder for me to give up-a ciggerette would have been part of 'the look' ( imagine how many kids would have started just because "indy smokes"!).
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Regarding Henry

Post by Mystique »

If anyone remembers that dreadful picture, rent it and see that cigarettes can be hazardous to your health! :shock:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

K on the run wrote:
KT, sorry to hear about you dad, I agree with you.

-K
K thank you.

BTW Alan Carr has just tested postive for lung cancer, the fate is pretty cruel.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

If anyone is still wondering if Indy smokes cigars, he does in "Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates" by Martin Caidin. He also smokes a cigar in "Find Your Fate #2 Indiana Jones and the Lost Treasure Of Sheba" by Rose Estes.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

indy89 wrote:If anyone is still wondering if Indy smokes cigars, he does in "Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates" by Martin Caidin. He also smokes a cigar in "Find Your Fate #2 Indiana Jones and the Lost Treasure Of Sheba" by Rose Estes.
You just jogged my memory with Martin Caidin. He wrote "The Six Million Dollar Man" novel.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I stopped smoking in april and I use the money I save to buy Indygear..I'd much rather have my new AB than ciggerettes any day! :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

That is a win-win situation!
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I've always found it odd that Indy didn't smoke. EVERYONE in the 1930's smoked. I believe that Indy didn't smoke because George Lucas simply would not allow it. He did not want young people seeing the film to be influenced by a smoking hero. It just wasn't fashionable despite being period correct. Also parents' and anti-smoking groups would have stirred up as much negative publicity as they could. (Anybody remember how they tried to stir up trouble because Brosnan smoked cigars as Bond and because Wolverine smokes in the X-men movies?) In the end, I think Lucas made the right choice. (I'm a two cigar a day smoker which is how I got my Havana call sign in the USAF)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Two a day? :? I used to chain smoke cigars. I averaged 10 cigars a day when I worked as a forms draftsman in Ohio. When our first daughter was born (D.Jones) in 1980, I decided it was time to quit, and I did.....cold turkey.

Sure, I may have one or two a year, on special occasions, but that was the end of it....and I smoked liked that for almost 6 years. I still enjoy the smell of a good cigar and a well stocked tobacco shop....but that's it.

Havana, if you'll recall, when Raiders came out in '81, the anti-smoking wars hadn't really started here in the U.S., and as I recall, most restaurants were still all smoking areas. I even recall there were still a few airline hold outs that allowed smoking in designated areas on planes.

Boy have things changed in the past 25+ years. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Scuffy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Scuffy »

IndyDoc wrote:
Hemingway Jones wrote:Also, John Travolta is a big time smoker. Most actors who fake it, smoke cloves like the "Cigarette Smoking Man" on the "X-Files" who didn't smoke.[/i]
How ironic. He does it so well too. :lol:
:oops: Actually an article in Cigar Aficianado speaks differently...

"Today, both parents have passed away, and on big family occasions John takes on the role of head of the Travolta clan. He's also taken on his father's love of cigars. In his work habits, Travolta is strict and disciplined. He drinks fine wine, but does so sparingly, only a few times a month. Cigars are one of his few indulgences. "I smoke about five cigars a week, but I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur. I like Davidoffs, Dunhills and Montecristos. I like to smoke at the end of the day, usually out on the terrace with a cup of espresso. Kelly will often join me; she enjoys a small cigar."

Here's the link: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA ... 28,00.html

On the topic of cigars-I would say that he would definitely have the appreciation for a fine cigar but on the same token if he were out and about he'd probably kick back to just about anything. At least once anyway. He is a travelled man, well versed in the different cultures of the world and cigars are made differently, according to different tastes. He would probably take this into account.
Last edited by Scuffy on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Indy probably smoked some funny smelling cigars in India, and thats why you never see him smoking them, they're illegal,He got hooked on wacky tobaccy :wink:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I just picked up a pack of Guantanamera's for the FL summit. I am hoping that there are a few members yet to try a Cuban that will join me in a slow smoke and a few drinks after the party tonight.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Padron, St Luis Rays, Cohiba, etc. Indy is most definately a CIGAR kind of guy. If you think that he is not, you are are a Marcus Brody!
spiridon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by spiridon »

Just a "gut feeling", but my guess would be that Indy would have smoked Cuban Bolivars or perhaps a Partagas. I may be mistaken, but I believe Cohiba is a relatively new cigar company in Cuba .......formed in the late sixties I believe.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Indy with a cigar!!

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I've always faniced pipe smoking, and know several people who do, but am scared to death of trying it for myself.

If you notice, Fords teeth are always yellowish looking.. sure signs of smoking in my book.

Randy[/i]
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

Somebody with a scanner check out the new "Making of..." book. I'm just about positive there's a pic of HF/Indy in an open cab car with other cast members in which he's got a cig in his hand. It's in the Last Crusade section.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Last edited by Indiana Strones on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

In the McCoy books Indy is VERY anti-smoking and mostly anti-drinking; so much so it ruins quite a few of the moments in the stories. Kind of a goodie two shoes.

In the movies we don't see enough of him to really know, but in my mind he was never a smoker but certainly a guy who liked a good stiff drink from time to time.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana Strones wrote:Image
Ha you beat me to it- I noticed this a few months ago and I remember reading some where that Harrison USED to smoke...

NIBS
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Raider S wrote: but certainly a guy who liked a good stiff drink from time to time.
And we see definitely see this in Raiders :lol: :lol:

NIBS
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:I hope the young folks on this forum learn from my mistakes and never start smoking. Smoking is not cool, it is stupid.
I picked up a pack of American Spirit when I first turned 18. It was ok, but I knew I could live without it. I ended up crumpling up the pack and throwing them away 2 days after I bought it.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Indy's Cigars

Post by cm289 »

Speaking of Harrison Ford smoking stogies, he smokes one in the movie "Working Girl", and I think he smokes several in "Morning Glory" if I remember correctly.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I like to smoke a good Romeo e Juliet Vintage with a black band. Good smoke. I can see indy smoking one of those.

As a pipe smoker myself, I can see indy easily having a small travel pipe in his gear. I carry a pipe and tobacco with matches in my satchel all the time.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

I can't remember if this is in the actual movie or if it was a cut scene put back in the "redux" of Apocalypse Now, but here is a picture of him smoking in that scene.

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Am I really the first person to post this in this thread?!
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

I would say that Indy is not a regular smoker. Though I could see him smoking a pipe at home in his office/library after a long day.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Kind of awesome to see that there are other cigar aficionados here.

My take on Indy is that he probably didn't maintain his own collection of cigars, other than a gift box given to him here and there. Rather, he'd partake, as the occasion warranted, during his many travels.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Baldwyn wrote:Am I really the first person to post this in this thread?!
Yep, you found it first! This was one of the first photos circulated during CS production...and circulated a LOT! I was looking for it when you posted it, as a matter of fact. :TOH:

This photo always makes me smile. Ford honestly and truly liked his AB, and said so to Spielberg on many occasions, and using colorful language for emphasis. He even wore it on his own time off-set, as seen in this photo. :D

Anyway, offtopic...... :[

Regard! Michaelson
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

This topic caught my interest, so I did a little digging. apparently, the only brand I've seen Mr. Ford connected to is Gurkha---both from a couple of cigar magazine articles, and an interesting event that happened in June 2009---Apparently two well-dressed ladies bluffed their way past security to present him with a $750 Gurkha 'His Majesty's Reserve', while he was on set for the film "Morning Glory"....

Beautiful ladies risking trespassing charges just to bring me a complimentary $750 cigar? Where do I sign up? :notworthy:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Baldwyn wrote:Am I really the first person to post this in this thread?!
This is gold to us cigar aficianados. :notworthy:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I remember reading an article about Ford back in college. He was described as having long hair, and smoking a pipe.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Love cigars. Sosa if Im in Disney. If not, Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Claasic.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

ChrisMD wrote:Love cigars. Sosa if Im in Disney. If not, Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Claasic.
Chris,

Can you smoke at Disney?

Fuentes were my first love. I pretty much cut my teeth on the Curly Head. :)

Now I'm partial to Patel, Padron, or anything else decent in the medium/full category.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Love cigars. Sosa if Im in Disney. If not, Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Claasic.
Chris,

Can you smoke at Disney?

Fuentes were my first love. I pretty much cut my teeth on the Curly Head. :)

Now I'm partial to Patel, Padron, or anything else decent in the medium/full category.
Downtown Disney has a Sosa Cigar shop. You can smoke em there or at designated spots at resorts but I just take em home.
Pascal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Pascal »

In the Bonus-DVD of Cristal Skull you can see some used ashtrays scattered in his domicile. So I think he is a smoker.