KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: KotCS Backpack (UPDATED thread on Germany Army Rucksack!)

Post by Cammer »

If you decide you don't want it for any reason please feel free to send it back for a full refund! I am already having seller's remorse... #-o :(
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Sorry to hear Cammer, but I will let you know first if I decide to sell it. I am very happy though that I finally got a pack, fast and for a nice price and it great condition. Will post some pics once it arrives. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Just sell it back to him at twice what you paid. That way he can have sellers and buyers remorse!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Just sell it back to him at twice what you paid. That way he can have sellers and buyers remorse!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
You are a cruel cruel man! LOL :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I like to think of myself as a capitalist. :[

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

The pack came today! \:D/ Its great! Thanks so much again Cammer! Can't wait to start using on many adventures, and vacations. Don't have any pics since I'm at work, but I may post some, but may not since everyone knows what they look like. :-k
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

No, you should post pics when you get a chance to do so. We all love the looks of these, and the one that I sent to you was one of the best that I have seen. It's definitely worthy of some good photos. :D
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Cammer wrote:No, you should post pics when you get a chance to do so. We all love the looks of these, and the one that I sent to you was one of the best that I have seen. It's definitely worthy of some good photos. :D
Ahh... you twisted my arm Cammer :lol: I will try and post some pics later on tonight if I have some time, if not, more then likely on the weekend.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

Does anyone still have a source for these bags? I'd definitely like to get one but I'm not quite sure if any sources are still available that we know of. I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they have a line on another bag. Thanks.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Magnum wrote:Does anyone still have a source for these bags? I'd definitely like to get one but I'm not quite sure if any sources are still available that we know of. I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they have a line on another bag. Thanks.
My only source was diligence and ingenuity. It took me six months to find three of them. I scoured military surplus shops (online and local), emailed people, watched Ebay (big $$), etcetera. Now I have sold them. But I am looking for more. :roll:
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Tundrarider wrote:
Cammer wrote:Now I have sold them. But I am looking for more. :roll:
Cammer, If it's any consolation, I'm takin' real good care of your pack! :whip:

Michael :TOH:
I don't think that any Nazis are going to be messing with you! That's a pretty serious look.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Tundrarider wrote:
Cammer wrote:Now I have sold them. But I am looking for more. :roll:
Cammer, If it's any consolation, I'm takin' real good care of your pack! :whip:

Michael :TOH:

Mike, was this taken on your way to the Post Office or to work?
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

maboot38 wrote: Mike, was this taken on your way to the Post Office or to work?
Just to be safe, I think you should address him as 'Michael'. He doesn't appear to be in an informal mood... :[
Sakis
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sakis »

After all these posts I'm a bit puzzled over the bag pictured below. It's the one found at amazon.de, crazy-world.de and else where. Although it seems screen accurate I don't know if it's any good. The straps here look thick and made of leather but I've seen other pictures where they look really cheap. The body of the bag doesn't look as strong as the Mark VI bag, which was made of canvas but I don't know what the original Alpine was made of. Overall, how would you rate this bag?
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Judging by the colour and the sources you quoted, I'd say it's the replica with pleather straps.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Sakis wrote:Overall, how would you rate this bag?
I bought one of those about a year ago. It was not what I wanted in a bag. It is an inexpensive reproduction of the real thing that would not stand up to anything beyond use as a prop. If I were to compare them and rate the original German military pack as a "10" on a 1 to 10 scale, this bag would rate about a 4 or 5 in my opinion. The straps are "pleather" and stretch with any weight in the bag, the vinyl bottom is a light weight plastic-vinyl and is nothing compared to the durable military grade flexible vinyl that is used in the base of the real pack, the stitching is lightweight, the color is off and definitely more brown as the picture shows, and the canvas is a lighter weight than even what was used in the Mk VII gas mask bag. Every component in this bag is of lower quality than the real thing.

However, it does fill a niche in that it makes an excellent prop. Also, compared to the original they are VERY easy to find online as well as being relatively inexpensive. It would definitely fill the need for someone who is simply looking for a very close reproduction. If you are looking for a better than average Halloween or a stage costume then this would work just fine. But, if you are like me and enjoy using your Indy stuff on an occasional basis, then this might not hold up. I used one of the original German packs for two semesters of chemistry (heavy books!) and the pack showed no additional wear when I was done.

I have owned several of the German packs and it looks like I'm going to be getting another one soon, so perhaps I can post some comparison photos of the reproduction versus the real thing. First I'll have to order another reproduction of course. I sold the one I had and took a loss. :roll:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

But the straps on the original were pleather weren't they? For all we know, these may be the same bags used for the film! ;) :P :lol:
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:But the straps on the original were pleather weren't they? For all we know, these may be the same bags used for the film! ;) :P :lol:
No. The straps on the original were made from real leather and the bottom from a very heavy thick vinyl. It had to serve the demands of military routine at least. ;)
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:But the straps on the original were pleather weren't they? For all we know, these may be the same bags used for the film! ;) :P :lol:
It is very close, but you can see from some of the close ups, as well as how the pack is colored, the way the fabric lays, etc., that this is not the same pack. You can also see how the leather straps on the film pack are thicker than the reproduction bag.

Also, I don't believe that the synthetic pleather they used for the repro bag straps would take distressing the way that the original real leather straps would on the real pack. When the German pack was built they used leather paint, not dye, to give the shoulder straps their gray/green color. When these straps wear the paint is scrubbed off on the wear spots showing the discolored leather underneath. Pleather would not wear in that fashion. If I remember correctly, the repro straps are not painted, they are colored all the way through.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I see a lot of German rucksacks list on the various sites. What is the correct liter size for the Indy 4 backpack? 30L, 45L?
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

I just had a KOTCS backpack sighting in my store. I thought that the customer might be a member of COW, but when I asked her if she knew what kind of backpack it was, she didn't have a clue. Apparently she had picked it up at a Salvation Army real cheap. When I told what kind of backpack it was, she said "Cool!". When I added it was used in CS, she made a face :rolling:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

IndyRiv wrote:I thought I'd share my outlet for the repro bag I recently bought. If you go to Ebay and type in "German army rucksack" and then scroll down to International sellers, there should be a picture of the bag. It cost me, with shipping, $60 to the US; however, I haven't gotten it yet so don't know what the quality's like.

I'll see if I can remember to chime in once I get it.

Hope this will help all of you satisfy your desires for the bag somewhat.

Best of luck!

IndyRiv
This is it?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I think Ford probably used the one the prop master gave him. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: I guess I look at it much like the MkVII bags. They were military issue, which meant various contractors produced them, which meant you got variances in color, size, and even design. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with the rucksack. If the size discrepancy between your two bags is slight, I bet this is the case, and it would also make it difficult to determine which bag is closer to the one Ford actually used. If the bag size is substantial (like a 20% difference) then I'd wonder if the two are even the same bag model!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Ah, pics help. The bag on the top looks like it's wider than the one beneath it. Is the second bag smaller in every dimension (height, width, and depth) or just in the width?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Good looking bags :TOH:

Mine looks like the bottom one

Kyle
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

There shouldn't be a difference in size. These bags are military equipment - standardizes. If a backpack is larger or smaller, it's probably not the same like the original ones.

Concerning your pictures - they look quite similar to me. Did you check, if they are really that different in capacity? Maybe one rucksack was shrunken in the washing machine ... are there any stamps in the inside of these backpacks (these could tell something about the origin and authenticity of the bags).
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Have we ruled out asking Magnoli to offer high-end reproductions of it? He's done it with the MKVII - why not this?
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Possibly not enough demand. Pretty Much everyone getting Indy gear will buy a Mark VII, probably not the rucksack though.

You can always enquire.

A word of caution to everyone about the reproductions that are out there though. I've had mine a little over a year and its really starting to fall apart. they would be fine as a costume piece for occasional light use but as a daily use bag seeing moderate heavy use its worthless. I'll be on the hunt for an original I think.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Same word of caution about the repro sack. I bought one from a vendor in the UK, $80 including shipping. The quality was just not there for any serious use. I ended up getting on of the last ones from Jens: night and day difference. I sold the repro to a COW member for $25. Live and learn.

In all honesty, if I couldn't get an original, I'd get one of the later BW versions and replace the webbing and plastic clips.

RZ
shagger999uk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shagger999uk »

Bought myself one of the repro packs as I haven't found any old ones yet :(

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... es/007.jpg

The leather straps are very thin.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... es/008.jpg

The cotton is a lot more loose weave than the originals.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... es/009.jpg

The straps are nylon, but overall, it will do until I can find a decent one.

(Moderator edit: pictures changed to links due to oversized images.)
(Poster edit: Soz!)
Last edited by shagger999uk on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

RaiderZee wrote:I ended up getting on of the last ones from Jens: night and day difference.
I might be able to find more of those backpacks (the original ones, of course), if enough people are interested (it's easier to convince the military surplus retailers I have at hand to look for more than one issue ... plus it could decrease the price).
In all honesty, if I couldn't get an original, I'd get one of the later BW versions and replace the webbing and plastic clips.
With all due respect, I think this would be more than a lot effort and quite a challenging work, sind the straps on the modern versions are broader than the leather ones and quite heavily sewn on the pack. But I would be the last one to talk you out of experimenting when it comes to the gear of course. ;)
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Jens wrote:I might be able to find more of those backpacks (the original ones, of course), if enough people are interested (it's easier to convince the military surplus retailers I have at hand to look for more than one issue ... plus it could decrease the price).
Jens, you can put me down as interested if you look for these again.

:TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Jens, can you remind me what the price was that you got them for last time? I might want to grab one this time around.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Jens wrote:With all due respect, I think this would be more than a lot effort and quite a challenging work, sind the straps on the modern versions are broader than the leather ones and quite heavily sewn on the pack. But I would be the last one to talk you out of experimenting when it comes to the gear of course. ;)
I'm due no respect with this one, since I never tried to fix up a modern pack! I was just thinking off the top of my head. There's just no way I would mess with the repros. Of course, I have no need to: I have one of your rucks! ;)
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Hey Jens I'm really in for one this time if you find some. I have the modern replacement for the older one and really like it but would love to have the KotCS one.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Jens, I'd be interested, but don't break your back on it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Indiana Jeff wrote: but don't break your back on it.
yeah, I know you had some er "troubles" the last time.

Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Don't worry, I try whatever is necessary. ;)
Glad to see, that there is still so many interest in this piece of gear. I'm right on the doorstep to leave for two expeditions, but as soon as I'm back (might be around mid March) I will look into it.
If you need to know any details or have othe rquestions, feel free to PM me in the meantime.

Kind regards,
Jens
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Thanks very much Jens.

Safe travels

faststreetsofhongkong
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by faststreetsofhongkong »

I was lucky enough to find one today ... how much are people "normally" charging for these anyways?

singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Well, I guess I'm gonna need me one of these too...

=P~
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Jens wrote:Don't worry, I try whatever is necessary. ;)
Glad to see, that there is still so many interest in this piece of gear. I'm right on the doorstep to leave for two expeditions, but as soon as I'm back (might be around mid March) I will look into it.
If you need to know any details or have othe rquestions, feel free to PM me in the meantime.

Kind regards,
Jens
Are you back yet Jens? I'm also interested and would like a pack for this summers outings.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Yes, I am indeed. And I already started going through my sources to get more backpacks. I'm pretty sure I should be able to provide some results within the next two weeks or so. Until then I start to collect the names of those who definitely want to obtain a rucksack. I think I could pull 5 or 6 backpacks this time.

1. lantzn
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

I would definitely take, as long as it isn't too expensive...put me down, please.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Anymore updates on these babies? With all this nice weather I sure and aching to go backpacking.....:-)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Jens wrote:Yes, I am indeed. And I already started going through my sources to get more backpacks. I'm pretty sure I should be able to provide some results within the next two weeks or so. Until then I start to collect the names of those who definitely want to obtain a rucksack. I think I could pull 5 or 6 backpacks this time.

1. lantzn

Hey Jens, what price are you talking about here?

Dan
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

This is something I'd rather like to discuss in a more personal context. Please feel free to PN me in this matter. ;)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

My bad! :oops:

PM sent.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

A short update to the list ...

1. lantzn
2. Dana Powers