The EXPLORADOR fedora - photo gallery

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: The EXPLORADOR fedora - photo gallery

Post by Chose Poorly »

Guys, I love this hat! A new everyday wardrobe item for sure.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Chose Poorly wrote:Guys, I love this hat! A new everyday wardrobe item for sure.
That's terrific! You chose wisely! I need to find my everyday hat now.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Hedji wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:Guys, I love this hat! A new everyday wardrobe item for sure.
That's terrific! You chose wisely! I need to find my everyday hat now.
I highly recommend S&J. Great price, a pleasure to work with, and an excellent product.
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

I placed an order with S&J because all I'v seen and heard was how amazing these hats are and the only thing that is killing me right now is the waiting game. Since it will be my first Indy Fedora time seems to go by slow haha.

I Will post a picture when it finally arrives :CR:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

RonXsilva wrote:I placed an order with S&J because all I'v seen and heard was how amazing these hats are and the only thing that is killing me right now is the waiting game. Since it will be my first Indy Fedora time seems to go by slow haha.

Looking forward to it. Welcome to the forum :TOH:
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

RonXsilva wrote:I placed an order with S&J because all I'v seen and heard was how amazing these hats are and the only thing that is killing me right now is the waiting game. Since it will be my first Indy Fedora time seems to go by slow haha.

What hat did you go with?
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

Chose Poorly wrote:

I went with the Explorador 36 Superior with the turn and the weathered treatment. The funny thing is I ordered the HJ 40th collectors before but with the really long lead time it most likely get the S&J first. Also ordered one from the NorthWest Hat Co which makes a really good beaver raiders hat but he told me it won’t be till like January so again will see S&J probably. I intend to get a large collection of hats as you can tell and will be happy when my first being S&J comes in :D .

PS: forgot to mention the scene Streets of Cairo dusty look
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

RonXsilva wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

I went with the Explorador 36 Superior with the turn and the weathered treatment. The funny thing is I ordered the HJ 40th collectors before but with the really long lead time it most likely get the S&J first. Also ordered one from the NorthWest Hat Co which makes a really good beaver raiders hat but he told me it won’t be till like January so again will see S&J probably. I intend to get a large collection of hats as you can tell and will be happy when my first being S&J comes in :D .

Ah, that sounds awesome. They do such a fantastic SoC hat. Looking forward to seeing it. You should do a comparison with your HJ 40th when you have both.

I have an Explorador '36 Superior "Raven Bar" hat right now, and a Penman/Adventurebilt Legacy Crustal Skull Travel Hat on the way. Also ordered a HJ Rabbit Poet shaped to Idol Grab but it's probably Dec/Jan for that if I decide to keep the order. I'm on the fence and considering cancelling after buying the Penman.
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

Chose Poorly wrote:
RonXsilva wrote:
Chose Poorly wrote:

Ah, that sounds awesome. They do such a fantastic SoC hat. Looking forward to seeing it. You should do a comparison with your HJ 40th when you have both.

I have an Explorador '36 Superior "Raven Bar" hat right now, and a Penman/Adventurebilt Legacy Crustal Skull Travel Hat on the way. Also ordered a HJ Rabbit Poet shaped to Idol Grab but it's probably Dec/Jan for that if I decide to keep the order. I'm on the fence and considering cancelling after buying the Penman.
Yeah, I saw the pictures of your "Raven Bar" hat a page back looks amazing makes me that much more excited to get my hat. Hope to see if arrive around early mid December.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I got my S&J here in the bazaar about a year ago - pretty happy with it (and i've had em all!!) Definitely does a good Raiders look. The brim is firm enough to keep a good shape, but soft enough to flap in the wind.

Oh and my wife doesn't have bad teeth - just hair blowing in front of her mouth! :lol:
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Hahaha - beautiful hat! Looks great on you :TOH:
indyhan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indyhan »

and i see you still have that 1942 satchel with its original cloth strap ha ah !
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Looking great, Whiskyman!!! :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

indyhan wrote:and i see you still have that 1942 satchel with its original cloth strap ha ah !
And now instead of carrying gas masks in them we carry covid masks. ;)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

whiskyman, thanks for posting!
Great pics! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

RonXsilva wrote:makes me that much more excited to get my hat. Hope to see if arrive around early mid December.
I'm guessing it didn't arrive yet? I'm still waiting for one myself, order from start of Sept. Had an update a month ago from Roberto saying he was finishing up some touches and there should be pictures in a few days, but nothing since. Hope he's ok.
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

xmasters wrote:
RonXsilva wrote:makes me that much more excited to get my hat. Hope to see if arrive around early mid December.
I'm guessing it didn't arrive yet? I'm still waiting for one myself, order from the start of Sept. Had an update a month ago from Roberto saying he was finishing up some touches and there should be pictures in a few days, but nothing since. Hope he's ok.
Nope, sadly I have not gotten it yet haha. I ordered it around Sept as well I got a response from Roberto on Dec 14 he apologizes for the delayed emails since he has been receiving a ton of emails and has been trying to go through them in order. He also said to me something similar to your situation that my hat was on the block had all the inner parts made and if everything is ok he was going to finish up my hat and send me pictures in a few days. That was like almost a month ago but since it's December holiday month he prob got caught up with work family etc so it most likely got all slowed down. I will email him today to see if everything is ok.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

RonXsilva wrote:
xmasters wrote:
I'm guessing it didn't arrive yet? I'm still waiting for one myself, order from the start of Sept. Had an update a month ago from Roberto saying he was finishing up some touches and there should be pictures in a few days, but nothing since. Hope he's ok.
Nope, sadly I have not gotten it yet haha. I ordered it around Sept as well I got a response from Roberto on Dec 14 he apologizes for the delayed emails since he has been receiving a ton of emails and has been trying to go through them in order. He also said to me something similar to your situation that my hat was on the block had all the inner parts made and if everything is ok he was going to finish up my hat and send me pictures in a few days. That was like almost a month ago but since it's December holiday month he prob got caught up with work family etc so it most likely got all slowed down. I will email him today to see if everything is ok.
Hi, Ron!
I've just answered your email with pics of the hat ready to be shipped. I don't recall if I told you... but we were updating our Superior Line and changed the Sweatbands and other inner details for a more screen accurate look and I had to re-do that in your hat, which was already finished, but with the old sweatband, when the new ones arrived... I prefered to delay the orders a little, and send the Ultimate version instead of using our old stock of sweatbands available, and then you'd learn about this upgrade.

Regards and thanks for your understanding!

Roberto
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

xmasters wrote:
I'm guessing it didn't arrive yet? I'm still waiting for one myself, order from start of Sept. Had an update a month ago from Roberto saying he was finishing up some touches and there should be pictures in a few days, but nothing since. Hope he's ok.
Hi! I'm working on updating those orders... please send me an email and I'll tell you when I'll be shipping it. Thanks! :TOH:
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

Thanks for the update Roberto looking forward to it and will have pictures as soon as it arrives! \:D/
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Odo wrote:
xmasters wrote:
Hi! I'm working on updating those orders... please send me an email and I'll tell you when I'll be shipping it. Thanks! :TOH:
Cool. Email sent.
RonXsilva
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by RonXsilva »

It has finally arrived and I am not disappointed this hat is amazing! Amazing work Roberto and the leather sweatband looks great thanks for holding off so I can get this sweatband was worth the wait!

Like I promised here are some photo's of me being an Indy nerd~

Image Image Image Image Image Image
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks awesome!!
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Just placed an order, very excited! :D
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

RonXsilva wrote:It has finally arrived and I am not disappointed this hat is amazing! Amazing work Roberto and the leather sweatband looks great thanks for holding off so I can get this sweatband was worth the wait!

Like I promised here are some photo's of me being an Indy nerd~

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Looking good, man! Post some pics of this upgraded interior Roberto was talking about above!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Has anyone heard from Roberto recently? Last I heard from him was back in December and it sounded like my order from October was going to be finished sometime in January. I’ve tried email a couple of times since then but no word yet.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Hi! I've just answer your email. I think I could be shipping your hat early next week. Sorry for the delay in answering, I had tons of mails and try to answer each customer the best I can! Roberto
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

RonXsilva, great pics! That hat looks awesome, btw. :TOH:
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

I'm finally pulling the trigger on a S&J Explorador '38 / Last Crusade in the Motorcycle Chase/Tank scene style. I've wanted to order for a couple years now, so I'm very much looking forward to posting pics when it arrives! :TOH:
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

I’ve had my rabbit Explorador ‘36 for 8 great years now and suffice to say it has seen many adventures.

It was my first hat and I loved the work that Diego and the team did on it. It’s been through rivers, up mountains, comforted my daughter as a “teddy” when going to sleep at nights and I pretty much wore it everywhere!

Through the years it changed from a ‘dress hat’ to an adventure hat and finally became my ‘gardening’ hat. Seriously, I took it EVERYWHERE, I wore it more than Indy would have worn his (although he might have had multiple hats or regularly got them re blocked? :roll:.
Currently there’s a hole at the front of the crown. The inner lining has come out due to sweating from wear that’s dissolved glue.
The inner sweatband is showing signs of wear. The ribbon has had immense fade due to the harsh NZ sun. It has been well loved for sure! It has TOTALLY lost its original shape, from a raiders bash to a TOD to a who knows what! :rolling:

SO… I’m wondering…

Is it worth re-blocking and are there any recommendations for someone close to NZ to do it? Do S & J offer it?

Thoughts on how to proceed? PS: I do have a Screencapped on its way but would hate to just ‘discard’ my current one.

Image Image Image Image
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Frederick wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:04 am I’ve had my rabbit Explorador ‘36 for 8 great years now and suffice to say it has seen many adventures.

It was my first hat and I loved the work that Diego and the team did on it. It’s been through rivers, up mountains, comforted my daughter as a “teddy” when going to sleep at nights and I pretty much wore it everywhere!

Through the years it changed from a ‘dress hat’ to an adventure hat and finally became my ‘gardening’ hat. Seriously, I took it EVERYWHERE, I wore it more than Indy would have worn his (although he might have had multiple hats or regularly got them re blocked? :roll:.
Currently there’s a hole at the front of the crown. The inner lining has come out due to sweating from wear that’s dissolved glue.
The inner sweatband is showing signs of wear. The ribbon has had immense fade due to the harsh NZ sun. It has been well loved for sure! It has TOTALLY lost its original shape, from a raiders bash to a TOD to a who knows what! :rolling:

SO… I’m wondering…

Is it worth re-blocking and are there any recommendations for someone close to NZ to do it? Do S & J offer it?

Thoughts on how to proceed? PS: I do have a Screencapped on its way but would hate to just ‘discard’ my current one.

Image Image Image Image
Just wanted to say this is amazing. :clap: You really used it in Indy fashion!

I think a cleaning, reblocking and recondition is possible, as long as the felt is not too brittle. Not sure about the hole though.

I recently saw a guy on Youtube bring a hat back to life fully from a similar condition. The owner, however,had specifically requested the hole be kept.

Found the video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0PNnHrwZBE ... IECMiOmarE

Cheers,
Bear
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Thanks Bear,

I love that video, thanks for sharing, amazing what someone with skill can resurrect! I could even ask to have the hole on the side or back if it was to be re-blocked, but yeah, it all adds to the charm!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Frederick wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:39 pm Thanks Bear,

I love that video, thanks for sharing, amazing what someone with skill can resurrect! I could even ask to have the hole on the side or back if it was to be re-blocked, but yeah, it all adds to the charm!
Glad you liked if, I was also really impressed by what a hatter can do.

If you go ahead with the recondition, I would love to see some "after" photos! :TOH:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Frederick wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:04 am I’ve had my rabbit Explorador ‘36 for 8 great years now and suffice to say it has seen many adventures.

SO… I’m wondering…

Image Image Image Image
Wow! ! What a well-loved lid. Good for you, hope you find answers. :TOH:
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Will definitely add pictures if I’m able to locate someone to re-block it! Cheers
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It could be difficult to reblock due to the hole since the stretching could make it worse. But I have seen miracle work done patching holes -- glue applied from the inside and a hidden suturing akin to what plastic surgeons would do plus using a little felt dust from sanding an innocuous area to cover any other flaws. But the person I've seen do that is LONG retired. There must be a few left out there with the skill to do it.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Thanks Illinois. I’m hoping someone within this community will know someone able to do reblocking.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

:notworthy:
Wow man, that's a #### of a beat for a hat, but it is impressive to see how much you have used it.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

My Last Crusade is shipping today and I'm thrilled! I asked Roberto to do a Motorcycle/Tank Chase hat and he delivered beautifully:

I'll post pics when it arrives as well!
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Roberto, did a fantastic job on these two. I wanted a cleaner look on the 36 because I wanted it to age naturally and requested a more worn look on the 35. Couldn't be happier with the quality and the fit of both hats. :TOH:
Attachments
Picsart_23-06-17_18-22-32-235.jpg
Picsart_23-06-17_19-08-28-362.jpg
Picsart_23-06-17_19-14-06-809.jpg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Beautiful hats! I also like to let my gear age naturally! Great choice.

Cheers,
Bear
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

HerculeTheFox wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:18 pm Roberto, did a fantastic job on these two. I wanted a cleaner look on the 36 because I wanted it to age naturally and requested a more worn look on the 35. Couldn't be happier with the quality and the fit of both hats. :TOH:
Got into Full kit today (minus the satchel, no idea where that is currently :-k ) but this shows the hats in different light. I love how floppy the 36 is. I should also mention I've had that hat a year now but just getting around to posting it. So it's not right out the box anymore. However the 35 is right out the box and it's a stiffer hat then the 35 but very comfortable.
Attachments
Picsart_23-06-18_17-14-06-882.jpg
Picsart_23-06-18_17-09-48-242.jpg
Picsart_23-06-18_17-08-42-781.jpg
Picsart_23-06-18_17-00-49-300.jpg
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Love the gear pictures.
The hat looks sweet and so does all the gear.

Croft :mrgreen:
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

Indiana Croft wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:04 pm Love the gear pictures.
The hat looks sweet and so does all the gear.

Croft :mrgreen:
Thanks! :TOH:
HerculeTheFox
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerculeTheFox »

:TOH:
bearbeast wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:16 pm Beautiful hats! I also like to let my gear age naturally! Great choice.

Cheers,
Bear
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Nice gear, Hercule! The jacket looks like a great fit, as does the hat! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
marcdcat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by marcdcat »

Here is my S+J Explorador '36 Streets Of Cairo that is on the way to me right now. Roberto posted these pics for me before shipping. Hope it's a keeper.
IMG_20240523_085820~2.jpg
IMG_20240523_085721~2.jpg
IMG_20240523_085701~2.jpg
IMG_20240523_085641~2.jpg
IMG_20240523_085623~2.jpg
IMG_20240523_085606~2.jpg
marcdcat
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by marcdcat »

Should add that it's my first lid since a beloved Miller that I owned 20 year's ago and a Peter Brothers I purchased that was made wrong and which I returned but never got a replacement or refund for. (ugh, long story and maybe why I have not purchased a new hat in so long).