The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: The Penman post 'em up Pages....The Adventure Continues...

Post by Texan Scott »

John,

I just received my hat, today. Thanks for your help! The new brochure and business cards were really well put together. Touch of class there. :TOH:

Best wishes going forward. :tup:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:John,

I just received my hat, today. Thanks for your help! The new brochure and business cards were really well put together. Touch of class there. :TOH:

Best wishes going forward. :tup:
A big thanks goes to squid kidd. He spent a lot of hours working to get my madness done.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Anyone received a new or re-blocked Penman, lately? :-k

...if so, you know the drill! :tup:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

inuvuwow wrote:Image

I'm wearing my "Henry" as bashed by John Penman. I love this hat!!
CS bash, right?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

inuvuwow wrote:Image

I'm wearing my "Henry" as bashed by John Penman. I love this hat!!
Indy and Marion out shopping for curtains..

''For the love of God, this one!!?!''

:lol:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Indiana Holt wrote: Indy and Marion out shopping for curtains..

''For the love of God, this one!!?!''

:lol:
So that's what all the interest in "drape" is... :-k ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Heres a couple of hats i just finished. One is a Raiders beaver in the color natural.

and the next is a Re-blocked, Re-pounced , and with a new SA vintage like Raiders ribbon and new sweatband. The only thing that remand the same was the liner.

mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Really nice John. I am curious. Was the reblocked Raiders 1) A Penman? and 2) Was it a different style of hat? After seeing these pics, really looking forward to you reblocking my Grey CS hybrid on the new CS Hero block.

Matt
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The 1st hat is a new Penman Natural beaver Raiders.

2nd one is a Camptown re-blocked
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I like the natural color. Very nice!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I have to agree. That natural colored hat looks fantastic. I love how the light colored felt looks with that brown ribbon. Very nice.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Thats a different ribbon that I ever had used in the past. one of my ribbon guys sent me that by mistake. They normally don't do that color. He replaced the roll to the color I ordered but he let me keep that roll. I have about 50 yards of it but when it goes it's gone for good.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

John, it doesn't even look like a Camptown, but one of your creations. Good job on these! ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

BendingOak wrote:Heres a couple of hats i just finished. One is a Raiders beaver in the color natural.

and the next is a Re-blocked, Re-pounced , and with a new SA vintage like Raiders ribbon and new sweatband. The only thing that remand the same was the liner.

Those hats look GREAT John! Can hardly wait to get mine!!!!! :TOH:

Travis
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Hollowpond wrote:
BendingOak wrote:Heres a couple of hats i just finished. One is a Raiders beaver in the color natural.

Travis

I'm working on the finishing touches.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

BendingOak wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:

Travis

\:D/
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Hollowpond, I feel exactly the same, but on the other hand I hope mine will still be a little longer: In about two weeks I will be in the Czech Republic for a week. Nothing as frustrating as knowing your hat has arrived while you are abroad and can't see it until you get back :lol:

Regards, Geert

EDIT
: :-k I do type slow :lol:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

BendingOak wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:

Travis

Isn't that just the greatest thing ever?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

jnicktem wrote:
Isn't that just the greatest thing ever?
yup :TOH:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I'm expecting a Penman soon too, Geert. Hopefully it will come in the next week or so. I've had to wait a long time for this hat, through no fault of John's. I ordered the first week of April but I swapped orders with my brother in law so that he could have his hat in time for my wedding (all the groomsmen wore hats). So, it has been almost eight months. This hat will be well worth the wait, however. And special, too. Steve Delk also has a hand to play in this hat. He supplied some vintage ribbon for this hat that I very excited to see in person. In short, I cannot wait for this hat!

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:I'm expecting a Penman soon too, Geert. Hopefully it will come in the next week or so. I've had to wait a long time for this hat, through no fault of John's. I ordered the first week of April but I swapped orders with my brother in law so that he could have his hat in time for my wedding (all the groomsmen wore hats). So, it has been almost eight months. This hat will be well worth the wait, however. And special, too. Steve Delk also has a hand to play in this hat. He supplied some vintage ribbon for this hat that I very excited to see in person. In short, I cannot wait for this hat!

Dave

Ribbon? what ribbon? :twisted:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

John, do you have any comparisons of the natural versus grey color you offer, or are they pretty much the same? Any pics of he natural in, well, natural sunlight?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:John, do you have any comparisons of the natural versus grey color you offer, or are they pretty much the same? Any pics of he natural in, well, natural sunlight?

I don't have any pics right now. I would have taken some better shots but my camera guy is MIA. :roll: Where the heck is that Kidd?

The two colors are very different. I can take a pic or two of the raw bodies side by side and post them here if that helps?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That would be perfect. I'm really interested in that color.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:I'm expecting a Penman soon too, Geert. Hopefully it will come in the next week or so. I've had to wait a long time for this hat, through no fault of John's. I ordered the first week of April but I swapped orders with my brother in law so that he could have his hat in time for my wedding (all the groomsmen wore hats). So, it has been almost eight months. This hat will be well worth the wait, however. And special, too. Steve Delk also has a hand to play in this hat. He supplied some vintage ribbon for this hat that I very excited to see in person. In short, I cannot wait for this hat!

Dave

Dude, I will obliterate you! :lol:

Dave
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Dave
Is this a custom-designed hat or one that John has already made?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

This hat has been all over the place. It started off as a Watchmen. Then a charcoal Watchmen. Then it was a Watchmen with a wider brim. Then I bumped up the crown height. Then the brim width again. What I have now is 5 1/4'' crown and 2 1/2'' brim in charcoal. Beaver. And that vintage ribbon that Steve sent over to John. I cannot wait to have this hat. I want it to be an all purpose hat. The dimensions are small enough for me to dress it down with jeans and a sweater and the dimensions are also big enough to wear it with a suit. In my opinion, the specs are dead on for the perfect daily wearer. I like smaller crown (5'' or so) and brims (2'' or so) for my very casual clothing and taller crowns and wider brims (Indy style or similar) for casual and dressier events. I think this hat will cater to both.

Dave
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I know how you feel. I ordered one hat about 4 months ago now and placed an order for a Last Crusade hat about 3 months ago. The first hat was going to be completely custom, but we ended up putting that one on hold for now so I switched orders so I will get the Last Crusade hat first. And just now I once again switched orders by turning my custom hat into the same kind of hat John has on his homepage, but in black (since I don't have a black hat and thought it would be a good idea to have one). So what was once the first hat is now the last hat.

Ha, this just came to me, when all of my orders from the Penman Hat Company come in, I will have 4 Penmans! Where did the time/money go? :o
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I know! But, where you swapped one order for another one of yours, I swapped orders with a hat I cannot wear. Eights months of waiting for this hat are starting to come down on me. I hate my brother in law for ordering so late and being forced to double my wait time. But I guess those are the breaks. At least I know that I will be getting the hat this month. Plus, If I hadn't waiting this long, I wouldn't have gotten that vintage ribbon from Steve and I think that will really be the icing on the cake on this baby.

Oh, and black hats come in handy. The problem is that they are very dressy. You can really only wear them with suits.

Dave
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Dave, I think I am just as excited to see your hat as I am mine. All this talk about vintage ribbon from Steve makes me curious to see what kind of concoction you and John (and Steve) came up with!

The black hat is pretty much going to be just a dress hat. The good news about this is that this will probably be my last hat, as I cannot see any reason for any more hats. 4 Penmans, 2 AB's, and an ABD is enough.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You know, I have a few hats myself and somehow, I always come back and get another. You can never have enough hats. Variety is key, though. I have everything from the Indy style, obviously, to the very stingy variety (I'm talk hats with 1 3/4'' brims). A hat for every occasion. Getting married, getting my own place, and having more bills to pay has put a damper on my hat hobby, buy I'll get another one next year and I know what I want and from who.

Dave
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I try to keep variety in my hats. Sure, a good chunk of them are Indy hats, but I do not want more than one of the same style. So I have one Raiders Grey (Penman), one Raiders (ABD), 2 CS (AB's... the reason there are two of them is because one is for me, and one is in HF's size), a Last Crusade (Penman), a large brimmed custom hat (Penman) and the same style hat as on the Penman Hat Co website, but in black (Penman).

It is in my opinion that larger brimmed hats work best for my face. But then again, maybe that is just because I like large brimmed hats.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I prefer the wider brims too. In fact, the hat with the specs I feel best suits my face is the second AB that Steve made me which has a 3 1/8" brim and 5 1/2" crown. My Penman Raiders hat feels a little stingy if I put it on directly after wearing that AB. My next Penman will he those specs but blocked on John's Raiders block. Don't know when I'll be able to get it, but until then I'll enjoy my other hats and save, save, save.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:
BendingOak wrote:

Dave

Dude, I will obliterate you! :lol:

Dave

You will need to catch me and we all know how slow you are. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

True, but your my roadrunner. You have no idea the tricks I have up my sleeve. I would let Brian start your car for a couple days. ;)

Dave
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Here (far too late) is a pic of my latest Penman. Raiders, idol grab scene. John did something to it in his alchemy workshop to make this hat softer, more floppy than my Temple hat. Believe me, it's still very solid but it is softer than my Temple hat. And you can just tell that it will get nice and soft with some use.

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Crismans,

Thanks for posting that pic. I just love seeing the hat on the custmer.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Tundrarider wrote:
crismans wrote:Here (far too late) is a pic of my latest Penman.
That's a gorgeous hat, crismans! :clap: Looks great on you.

John's work as awesome. :notworthy:

I love my Henry, (bashed by John) but I am sure that there is a Penman in my "not too distant" future! \:D/

BTW, crismans, my TN LC is sitting next to me, still in the unopened shipping box. My fiance' made me promise I wouldn't open it until I got home tonight! =P~

Thanks for your help with my jacket choice. :tup:

Michael
Thanks for the compliment and a welcome right back at you for the jacket help :lol: . I think you're really going to love it!

Thanks for posting that pic. I just love seeing the hat on the custmer.
It's a true pleasure to wear it, John.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

... :- go, go! Go Johnny go!... :-
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Beautiful lid, crismans!
;) :tup:
More outstanding Artistry from John.
:notworthy:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

John what months orders are you working on currently? I'm getting anxious! :lol: ;)

Randy
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

theinterchange wrote:John what months orders are you working on currently? I'm getting anxious! :lol: ;)

Randy

Now having the hat shop, I can't just run downstairs and answer that. I will be back at the shop Monday morning and will take a look and see. I will then post where I'm at.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Hopefully, I'm somewhere near the top of October's orders!

Can't wait for my Raiders Seaplane Gray!

My LC is getting lonesome for its cousin!

DHW

:P
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DarenHenryW wrote:Hopefully, I'm somewhere near the top of October's orders!

DHW

If you are due in Oktober then you should get it by the end of the month the latest. I'm running a little late for a couple of reasons. 1, the movie to the hat shop has messed me up a bit. Then I'm changing they way I do things to be a bit more productive with the added space that I have. I don't have to set up and clean up. Save me some time with the space but I notice I can be more productive if i just change things. The only down side is the first couple of weeks will be slow but by the end of this month and the begining of next I should be back to sped.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

BendingOak wrote:
theinterchange wrote:John what months orders are you working on currently? I'm getting anxious! :lol: ;)

Randy

Now having the hat shop, I can't just run downstairs and answer that. I will be back at the shop Monday morning and will take a look and see. I will then post where I'm at.
Thanks. For you, that'll be a welcome thing I'd imagine. :whip:

Randy
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

BendingOak wrote:
DarenHenryW wrote:Hopefully, I'm somewhere near the top of October's orders!

DHW

If you are due in Oktober then you should get it by the end of the month the latest. I'm running a little late for a couple of reasons. 1, the movie to the hat shop has messed me up a bit. Then I'm changing they way I do things to be a bit more productive with the added space that I have. I don't have to set up and clean up. Save me some time with the space but I notice I can be more productive if i just change things. The only down side is the first couple of weeks will be slow but by the end of this month and the begining of next I should be back to sped.

Cool, John! Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that your new space is working out for you!

DHW
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I couldn't resist sharing this story....

My Penman is sitting on top of a shelf in my bedroom...usually. However, I woke up this morning only to realize that it was no longer on the shelf but in the bed with me. :anxious: :rolling: At some point in the night during one of my typical sleep walks, I must have gotten up and out of everything possible in my room, I grabbed my Penman and went back to bed with it. How weird is that? I didn't have the hat on when I woke up, but it was sitting on it's crown right next to me. It wasn't smashed, mauled, dented, or anything else of that sort.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

WhipDude wrote:I couldn't resist sharing this story....

My Penman is sitting on top of a shelf in my bedroom...usually. However, I woke up this morning only to realize that it was no longer on the shelf but in the bed with me. :anxious: :rolling: At some point in the night during one of my typical sleep walks, I must have gotten up and out of everything possible in my room, I grabbed my Penman and went back to bed with it. How weird is that? I didn't have the hat on when I woke up, but it was sitting on it's crown right next to me. It wasn't smashed, mauled, dented, or anything else of that sort.
Loving your hat is OK. However, loving your hat is generally frowned upon. :rolling: Thats some funny stuff.

Travis
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I know Penman owners get attached to their hats, but.... ;) :D
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Hollowpond wrote:
WhipDude wrote:I couldn't resist sharing this story....

Loving your hat is OK. However, loving your hat is generally frowned upon. :rolling: Thats some funny stuff.

Travis

Lauging out loud! That is hilarious! :clap: :rolling: :lol: \:D/ :P

DHW