Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by MARQ »

Right,as I suspected.Todd,chest,make it; Large 48",XL 50" that would be fine.An UPDATE; did some measuring,again and seems like XL would fit me good.However,Todd´s shirt size XL was too big which I sent back and got Large.BETTER! So,in that view Large jacket would fit but then there´s the back length and sleeves length issue.
Last edited by MARQ on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

It's been a while since I posted my pics of my "new" style Todds which are still on this thread, so no new shots. I may have mentioned that I like it so much that I bought another to save before the supply ran out.

So today, I decided to learn the art of distressing. I ordered a Kriegsmarine (U-Boat) WW 2 style jacket that will arrive un-distressed and I want it to look it's age, so I broke out my TODDS for some practice. The first thing I did was zip it up and soak it with the shower. The water seemed to roll right off (mostly) and I knew I had to get past that outer layer. Next I took one of those kitchen scouring sponges...sponge on one side and mild abrasive on the other...and some Acetone and gave it a once over.

The effect was that it took off the shine and a little color. Not so much color that you would see it with the naked eye, but enough so that it showed up on the sponge. Now it's ready for another soaking and I'll wear it till it dries to let it form and wrinkle properly. No update pics yet because it's night and the flash still gives it a shine that's deceiving. I also plan to drag it around in the dirt, probably as a last step. It's getting exciting :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Anyone with an extra Todd's Large in the new run?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Distressing update.

So I did another quick, light going over with acetone. I noticed the color was definitely lighter is some areas. There were also areas of white residue. Not sure how I did that and I wanted to wipe it off. After drying, I went over it with rubbing alcohol. This is supposed to dry out leather. When that dried I took it to the shower. Zipped up the jacket and soaked it good. Then when I rang it out prior to wearing to dry, I noticed it was bleeding brown die. So, I rinsed it down again and wrung it out...more heavy bleeding. I kept rinsing and it kept bleeding. Quite "distressing" :roll:

I questioned weather the die was from the leather or the lining, but the lining hadn't gotten anything but wet and I don't think it should run. By this time the jacket has gotten Very heavy. It's definitely soaking up the water this time. I can barely hold it up to soak and ring it out. It's been about 10 minutes. I decide to leave it in the bath tub and let it drain itself for a while. I can't visually see what's going on because, being wet, it's all very dark in color. I want to get it to the point that I can wear it to dry so it will catch the wrinkles and shape to my body before I touch up the aging. I've noticed the fade spots on older jackets are where it rubs against things constantly and the minute raised spots caused by wrinkling during normal use. That's what I'll need to duplicate.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Back to rincing. Still I got brown water down the drain until I gave in. I took it to the washing machine. Ran it through in cold water, small load with a towel and just a small bit of detergent...double rinse. Then into the dryer because now it was REALLY heavy and water soaked. I let it dry about half way then put it on a dummy stand.

At this point it really has new character. almost no shine, many areas are faded to a red-ish lighter brown from the original dark brown. I might give it a little more highlighting with acetone where I want to fade the color. I will take it to the dirt and wack it around on the ground a bit. I will also give it a light protective coat of Picards...probably lotion instead of cream, when all else is done. So at this point here's what I have:

Quite a far cry from a new TODDS, for sure, and I'm only partially there. And no sanding of any kind yet. Here is a new one next to this one:

The difference is a lot more obvious in person. And I should add the jacket is quite a bit more stiff than the soft texture of a new TODDS...another reason it will ultimately get Picards.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Looks nice that jacket-did it shrink any?
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

MARQ wrote:Looks nice that jacket-did it shrink any?
you know,I really was hoping it would shrink just a little bit since I am right in between a medium and a large. But nothing no shrinking. Also I took it outside since that photo and beat it on a dirty part of the sidewalk.

I held one end of it and beat it against the sidewalk like I was trying to clean off that part of the sidewalk and it marked it up just enough and faded some other spots. It really did an incredible job. I don't think I'll need to do anything else. I'll post more pictures probably tomorrow but it's too dark now
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

*moral to the story, don't visit Ray... ;)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

:lol:
Texan Scott wrote:*moral to the story, don't visit Ray... ;)
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

moral to the story, Todd's jackets can take a beating... ;)

On a side note , from my experience , shrinking a leather jacket can only be achieved with the hot water / hot dryer combo.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Ray, your experience with your jacket bleeding its dye from somewhere mirrors my experience jacket. There's a panic, then a "well, no turning back now" moment.

Your results are also just like mine; the jacket developed more gain in certain areas, creased nicely to me (I worn mine wet until it dried) and yes, stiffened up the leather.

You can use whatever lotion you like, it's your call, but the leather REALLY needs some nourishment after this process. Alternatively, you could try some Lexol leather conditioner applied via a spray bottle.

I went that route after the suggestion of Michaelson, who said the tighter pores of lamb and goat will be better served with liquid conditioners/lotions rather than heavier, paste-based conditioners. I found Lexol was sold locally, whereas the Pecard's wasn't, so I went with it and had great results.

I've been very impressed with Lexol and use it on my leather jackets. I soak them via spray bottle and wear them until dry. I'll go back after 48 hours and reapply with the jacket laid flat and rub the lotion in with a cloth/sponge. It will get to the point where it won't really take anymore, but it will become pliable and have decent drape/hang.

Good luck on your jacket quest.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ray-your jacket looks awesome! Love love loooove the collar. What did you do to it to get it that way? The difference is very obvious next to the new version.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Fantastic! Love that mottled look. I think I need to be less gentle.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I think I need to get me another Todds.

Love how it came out, once you start down the path went down there's no turning back. :shock:
Your a brave man. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Oh and I too second Goraks comment, nice collar. :clap: :clap:

Croft :mrgreen:
Whitman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Whitman »

Ray...you ARE brave. When I read what you did to that jacket I cringed. But...the look you achieved with that jacket is impressive. It looks great.

Whitman
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Just received my new Todd's and it's a quality dawg. Some jackets just have that flavor!

Some specs that have deviated over the past few iterations. Given the collar and pocket flaps, you could say that this jacket is closer repro. of the Hawaii jacket. I'd say, features to take into consideration for a few tweaks would be the collar, shape of the pocket flaps and width of the yoke. Collar stand is creeping up there in width, at 1 1/4". Should be around 1". This is the first indy jacket in my size that I have had to slacken the straps considerably for a better fit around the torso.

Some great new changes that I really like about this jacket, would be the type of leather and wider storm flap. The color of the leather and zip really work together.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Gorak wrote:Ray-your jacket looks awesome! Love love loooove the collar. What did you do to it to get it that way? The difference is very obvious next to the new version.
High praise indeed from you, bro! Thanks. When it was totally wet I worked the collar like you would pick up a suit case. Sort of making a fist curling my fingers into my hand. Then let it dry occasionally checking to make sure it held the shape. Now, even after repeated Lexol treatments, it is holding just fine.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I think Ray drew some inspiration from this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7RvAoaaBEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

I'd like to add that in spite of slapping the jacket on the typical sidewalks cement sweeping the cement with it and all the other abuses, there is not a tear or snag anywhere on the jacket. I have not yet tried any sand paper or wire brushing. The Todds jacket is made from a very nicely sturdy yet soft cut of lamb, IMO

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

cropdustdair wrote:I have a Todd's XXL Raiders non distressed Jacket, but it's just a bit too long in the sleeves and overall length. Anyone have a XL that they would be willing to trade for my bigger one??
PM sent your way.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Ray..I didn´t catch the size of the jacket? :-k :roll:
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

MARQ wrote:Ray..I didn´t catch the size of the jacket? :-k :roll:
It's Large, Marq.

Might as well continue the saga. I took advice from Mountaineer who suggested using Lexol or other lotion on it to soak in and give it some body and character,because it works better for the grain of lamb. Well I had a little more than half a spray bottle. I kept coating it and it kept soaking it right in and drying. Then I ran out. It didn't seem to have any visible effect. Next step, to the Picards cream. After 1 coat last night it was dry again this morning, lol I just massaged in another one.

I point out that I am using a strong massaging action and a soft cloth. The Picards makes the leather soft and I think I am manually aging (mildly stretching) the leather to have more of a well worn look that you get after years of wear. At least that's the plan. I put it on an hanger that lets the shoulders fall slightly over the edges, then carefully arrange the jacket with creases where I want them (to encourage that action when wearing) and I reshape the collar.

I was inspired to do this by re-watching the opening Raiders scene. Indy's coat really twists around his arms and waves vertically around the upper chest. It is a quality of the thin lamb and preparation, I believe. In that scene, the Jacket is shinyer and darker than what I have achieved and I want to add some of that back.

Oh, In the spirit of full disclosure, I found a tiny cut...maybe 1/8" mas under one of the arms near the pit. Probably did it when smacking it on the cement. Eventually it will get a drop of glue to keep it from spreading.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

RayROnline wrote:
MARQ wrote:Ray..I didn´t catch the size of the jacket? :-k :roll:
It's Large, Marq.

Might as well continue the saga. I took advice from Mountaineer who suggested using Lexol or other lotion on it to soak in and give it some body and character,because it works better for the grain of lamb. Well I had a little more than half a spray bottle. I kept coating it and it kept soaking it right in and drying. Then I ran out. It didn't seem to have any visible effect. Next step, to the Picards cream. After 1 coat last night it was dry again this morning, lol I just massaged in another one.

I point out that I am using a strong massaging action and a soft cloth. The Picards makes the leather soft and I think I am manually aging (mildly stretching) the leather to have more of a well worn look that you get after years of wear. At least that's the plan. I put it on an hanger that lets the shoulders fall slightly over the edges, then carefully arrange the jacket with creases where I want them (to encourage that action when wearing) and I reshape the collar.

I was inspired to do this by re-watching the opening Raiders scene. Indy's coat really twists around his arms and waves vertically around the upper chest. It is a quality of the thin lamb and preparation, I believe. In that scene, the Jacket is shinyer and darker than what I have achieved and I want to add some of that back.

Oh, In the spirit of full disclosure, I found a tiny cut...maybe 1/8" mas under one of the arms near the pit. Probably did it when smacking it on the cement. Eventually it will get a drop of glue to keep it from spreading.
It's amazing how a "thin" leather can soak up so much treatment, isn't it?

You are moderately stretching the leather with your process. When going through all this, I left my jacket, while damp, hanging by the center back on one side of a chair back and it left a convex dent in the jacket's yoke. I re-wet the spot with some Lexol, put the jacket on and stretched/flexed my shoulders to get it back in shape. Tundraraider mentions in his tutorial wearing and stretching a jacket for your own shape. Same thing here. Best way to break it in to your shape is to break it in with your shape.

Point being, watch how long you leave it on a hanger or you'll be end up undoing creases.

Looking forward to your results!
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Here are some texture shots. The leather feels like it's been worn for years now. Nice and loose. The color is dark and only slightly shiny. Just what I want for that Raiders opening scene feel. In that scene you really see how the jacket flows. The sleeve gets twisted and the front waves. I don't have anyone to take full body shots in motion, so I took a few selfies of areas being twisted and turned so you can get the idea.

These were taken late afternoon on a very overcast day. There is a few years old TODDS shirt on underneath.

I think I finally got the "hang" of it ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Excellent!
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

K-Wad's internal monologue.....
I REALLY don't need another jacket.... [-(
Three jackets are more than enough for one person..... =;
I should be spending my money on other things..... [-X
CAN'T....STOP....LOOKING....AT....NEW....TODD'S!!!! =P~
Hmmmm, I think I have a tax return coming soon... :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Those are great shots Ray. I like how thin the leather is and very light weight. Maybe Todd will receive a new batch soon. I've always liked the color of these jackets and this new texture of the leather really is reminiscent of the film jacket.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

New batch..and a new round of questions...!? :roll: :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Well, I could stand it no longer!
I broke down and bought a new Todd's! :lol:

Added a little note at checkout asking if Todd can pick me a nice striated one.
Can't wait to see what arrives...... [-o<
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

kwad wrote:Well, I could stand it no longer!
I broke down and bought a new Todd's! :lol:

Added a little note at checkout asking if Todd can pick me a nice striated one.
Can't wait to see what arrives...... [-o<
Don't forget, we want to see pictures :)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Received my jacket the other day.
The leather is awesome!!
Unfortunately, I have to send it back due to a couple of construction boo-boos.
However, the customer service is great at Todd's and they picked up the tab on the return shipping and even asked me if I'd like the new one to have the same grain/striations (I asked for more striations, as this one had none....)
When the replacement gets here, I'll post pics.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...stop bragging! :P
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Texan Scott wrote:...stop bragging! :P
What? Me brag?
Never!! [-(

By the way, have I told you today just how awesome I am? :P
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Texan Scott any pics of the jacket and what size you got? Oh,man this is getting really OLD!! :?
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Wow, I opened one up ten minutes ago. I bought a used XL on ebay, for a steal I think, $130 shipped. I own a USWings, a Wested OTR, and now a Todd's standard. It's clearly the superior one!!!!!

I won't mention much on USWings other then to say, a nice Jacket from a great company, and I didn't care about accuracy at the time. Nothing "wrong" with the Wested, but it's just not accurate enough for my tastes. The seems on the arms are parallel to the yoke and it irritates me, the front pockets always seem too tall, and the color is just not quite dark enough. Other than those things, I do really like the cotton lining, miss it on the Todds. I also liked the quality of the garment, it's so well made.

The Todds is great quality, but not as well stitched, the zipper goes into the collar stand, that whole area has stitches that are popped. The collar stand is not tucked and stitched, but its under the collar and out of sight anyway.

I consider it very accurate, aside from leather grain and detail. In the future I will be looking a the detail of the leather more closely and hope to get some better grain and straitens etc...

It's the jacket I will put on display. Folks, start here for when looking for a looking for a Jacket. I have a lot of Todds stuff, not because it's so reasonably priced, but because it's so well done.
Last edited by Redinight on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Anyone know how much it might cost to get a jacket re-lined?

I love my Todd's coat...on the outside. But I'm going to be blunt and honest. The lining is pure garbage. It has been disintegrating on me since day one. I take it in to have it restitched at the seams and within a week or so, the lining is falling apart around the restitching. It's like the material is rotted it's so bad.

The jacket has not been mistreated or distressed in any way. Just normally worn.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I recommend Arrow Leather repair out of Kansas City. I just had a jacket worked on and they did a great job. Their pricing is dependent on the extent of the work needing to be done.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Ok, after a thorough "investigation" I am going to ask some questions about Todd's jacket. Before I go on, I have to agree with everyone about the fit!!! I have gained weight since Thanksgiving, so it's really a little bit small. Even so, the sleeves fit just amazing! The jacket also hangs off your shoulders so well. I own lots of Todd's stuff, three bag straps, two pairs of boots, two holsters, three shirts, and the reason for owning multiples is because between his runs and changes we get variations, updates, etc... In most cases it's more accurate and higher quality but, sometimes, like with the shirt its not...

I was wondering what kind of consistency these jackets have... I've noticed the sleeve seem parallel to the yoke seem in some pictures, what looks like non-nickel hardware, variations of the pocket sculpt, and collar stand differences. I have no idea when my used jacket from ebay was made or sold, but I really like some of its features, but found inaccurate features that I assume have been fixed since. However, with a new jacket, will the features I like still be present?

First of all, the hardware, I like this hardware, if I order a new jacket what will I get?

Second I love this feature, the really tight, thin, stitch on the side vent really makes the back panel work. Seriously, I won't buy another Indy jacket without this feature.

Is this for sure fixed? I can't believe with all that's right about this jacket this was overlooked! This should be parallel with the collar.

Finally, for now, is this corrected? The zipper shouldn't go into the jacket right? And, Ive noticed on some pictures the stand is square!!!! I prefer it round, Ive never thought it was square. Also, the collar shouldn't be as angled from the collar, nor so back from the edge.....
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Based on the right-side collar picture alone, what you show looks like about a 2009-2010 jacket.

Puppetboy (Todd) could tell you more, but you can see these features come and go as the "generations" of jackets have changed.

I've seen it in person. My 2008 had the collar stand in-line with the right collar. The 2009 I have looks just like what you've shown.

If memory serves, Todd even admitted here his displeasure with his jacket maker when this happened.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Redinight,

I just received one from the latest batch, but, had to return it.
However, from what I remember......

1. Same nickel hardware.

2. The stitch on the back-panel is a little wider (which is more accurate).
However, the pleats work very well. They pop out when my arms are raised and pop back in when I lower them.

3. The extended collar stand on the right side has been fixed. It is now flush with the collar.

4. I can't remember if the collar stand was round or square, but, from what I remember, the collar was in line with the edge of the zipper teeth (past the zipper stitch line, but, not quite to the middle of the stormflap).
The top of the zipper on mine did not extend into the collar stand.
However, I don't think that is a design feature, but, an error on the part of the manufacturer.
I actually returned mine because the zipper on the non-stormflap side ended too far away from the bottom of the collar stand.

One thing I noticed about the new one is that it was cut a lot like my Wested Hero, with the larger neck opening and longer collar.

When I get my replacement in a few days, I'll post pics of all the details.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Thanks Kwad! I can't wait to see them and get an idea of the leather.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

MARQ wrote:Texan Scott any pics of the jacket and what size you got? Oh,man this is getting really OLD!! :?
Sorry bro., I'm just now getting back to this thread. I ordered a Large, and it fit much like the film jacket, though I had to put some slack in the straps, something that is unusual for me. Leatherwise, I really like where Todd is going with his version of the Raiders jacket, and with each new iteration, the choice of leather seems to get closer to the actual Hero. Colorwise, spot on. A few tweaks on the specs are minor: mainly, slimmer yoke and rounded scallops on the flap, flap is slightly too wide, just a touch, imo. Grain and texture, light weight feel of the leather are features which are true to film, I believe. Ultimately, the decision was to send it back and wait for the next batch, due to some particulars with the leather that I prefer, and the fact that there are fewer Larges' on hand at the moment. The Standard embodies the look and feel of the film jacket, with plenty of flavor; and for $200, you can't go wrong.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I haven't done this to a jacket in many many years but I've started a distressing project on my Todd's jacket. I am doing this very slowly and carefully with every mark based on screen grabs. All I have done so far are the pockets. Again taking this very slow to get that SA look.

Click photo to enlarge
Last edited by Bogie1943 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

The new Todd's is here and I'm really liking it.
Love this new leather. So incredibly soft and light.
The top coat on the leather is very thin, so it distresses very easily (only been wearing it about a week and it is already beginning to show wear around the seams/cuffs)

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

kwad wrote:The new Todd's is here and I'm really liking it.
Love this new leather. So incredibly soft and light.
The top coat on the leather is very thin, so it distresses very easily (only been wearing it about a week and it is already beginning to show wear around the seams/cuffs)

I'm lovin' it! :clap:
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

Wow, your Todd's looks great!

:TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by ChrisMD »

For a guy who wears XXL Tshirts, 48x28 pants, and 18.5 neck dress shirts.... Would you gents recommend an XXL or a XXXL. My shoulders and arms are big but not long. My shoulders filled an XXL Wings steerhide legend. The XXXL worked fine but still was belly tight because of the slim cut/ taper. All my regular jackets and sweatshirts are XXL. Chewie any advice? I know you used to be a XXL. Help me buddy!

Sent from Free America
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Kwad,size of the jacket....? :roll:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Ray I love that leather from Todd's! The color is lovely and I'm curious to see the patina of the distressed elements.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Bogie1943 wrote:Ray I love that leather from Todd's! The color is lovely and I'm curious to see the patina of the distressed elements.
Sorry I must be a little slow, :-k but if you could be more speciffic I'll try to post the pics you want.