First Magnoli LC White Label Jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dr. Nebraska S.

Re: First Magnoli LC White Label Jacket!

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Outstanding-looking jacket, Captain D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Many thanks folks for checking out the jacket! Yeah, lol, I may have elluded to Magnoli to not be bashful on the amount of distressing, ;) . The cool thing is that it looks like it's right off the set of LC at the conclusion of the film. It also kind of reminds me of Noel Howard's screen-used ToD jacket to a degree. Whoever the folks are on Magnoli's crew who does the aging process obviously spends a lot of time on every minute detail throughout the entire jacket. One needs to truly see it in person to capture all of the detail. Two thumbs way up!

Overall, what I particularly like about the leather is that, even though it's cowhide, it very nearly has the look and feel of lambskin (soft / lightweight), which was what I was aiming & hoping for. Again, the leather grain is consistent throughout, stitching is strong, & the color brown is everything that I like in an Indy jacket. Not to diminish from other Indy jacket manufacturers in the least as I respect them all, but for myself - I'd be a repeat customer of Magnoli Clothiers with confidence. Many thanks to Magnoli for making these jackets available for us fans! :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Captain D wrote: Whoever the folks are on Magnoli's crew who does the aging process obviously spends a lot of time on every minute detail throughout the entire jacket. One needs to truly see it in person to capture all of the detail. Two thumbs way up!
Seriously, we're talking about Indy Magnoli, right? :-s The fellow I've known since the mid 1990's at Indyfan who was exploring every nuance of the Indy films in their entirety, made screen accurate props for sale, was the first to explore every angle and nuance of the gear and discuss at length, and you're surprised on the details you received?!! :shock:

:lol: Seriously, you were in good hands all the way, as Indy KNOWS what he's doing when it comes to that!

VERY nice jacket, indeed, even though you KNOW my thoughts about faux distressing! [-( ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hi there M,

I had a feeling that you may pop up and note the amount of distressing, tee-hee, lol, :lol: . And, you're absolutely correct - the attention to detail by Magnoli is highly commendable indeed. :clap: There will be another jacket purchase in the future, no doubt. And, I'm curious what other goodies he may have for sale, ;) \:D/ .

Thanks again for looking and a Happy upcoming Thanksgiving holiday to all!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:TOH:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Thanks for all the kind words guys. This White Label line has turned out quite well and is a great way to get more people some fantastic jackets. Enjoy your "new" jacket. :TOH:

And, Michaelson, sorry about the distressing... someone has to do it. :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

[-X
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Indy Magnoli - Every time I see your avatar, I can't help but see the similarities between you and Mike Wolfe from the TV show, 'American Pickers,' :lol:.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Halloween season seems appropriate to bring a thread back from the dead (a zombie thread?). I'm not on here much these days--between divorce and career, it's definitely not the years but the mileage. One bit of good news is that besides my non-academic full-time job, I'm also still teaching and researching, and feel blessed to be publishing a chapter in a forthcoming book published by a major university press.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Between me getting some of the measurements off (I measured the shoulders not wide enough, the armholes too narrow where they meet the shoulder, and the front too short compared to the back), plus some size changes, my great prototype LC White Label jacket doesn't fit ideally now. This is a shame, because I like the leather's look even more now. So as a recent birthday gift, I've ordered a new LC White Label from Magnoli. Magnoli worked closely with me to get the best measurements for this time, and so I'm now eagerly awaiting the new one.

In the meantime, you may be seeing the prototype LC White Label jacket getting posted in the near future in the Cairo Bazaar.

I hope you are all staying safe in these difficult times. Take care!

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

How's the new one looking?

I am going to finally get a proper LC jacket that fits.
I am contemplating the White Label or a Wested...
Dr. Nebraska S.

Kokopelli wrote:How's the new one looking?

I am going to finally get a proper LC jacket that fits.
I am contemplating the White Label or a Wested...
Hey there! It fits PERFECT! I haven't taken very many photos, but here's what I have so far:

Only one complaint that will hopefully not happen for others: the guys messed up on the snaps again:
I guess the team making these get confused when the LC kind adds the snaps for the weather flap being visible? This happened with my first Magnoli LC white label, and though he had said it wouldn't happen this time, unfortunately it did. But I'm enjoying the jacket so much right now that Magnoli and I decided I'll ship it back this summer, have his people put on the correct pockets with matching weathering, and send it back. It's a pain happening a second time, but I'm guessing perhaps there haven't been a lot of orders for the LC white label yet?

I'll try to get more photos of the jacket itself later. Stay tuned...

EDIT: here's a couple of quick shots of just the jacket:

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Lookin' great - congrats and thanks for sharing pics! Btw, is the leather soft? Reason being, my 2nd Magnoli jacket wasn't as soft as my first (more stiff / course in texture). Not a biggie, but was just curious...
Dr. Nebraska S.

Captain D wrote:Lookin' great - congrats and thanks for sharing pics! Btw, is the leather soft? Reason being, my 2nd Magnoli jacket wasn't as soft as my first (more stiff / course in texture). Not a biggie, but was just curious...
Thanks! It feels plenty soft to me...it’s quickly become my favorite jacket. It’s even more comfortable that my G&B Expedition (which is finally showing a slight bit of natural aging since I first got it over a dozen years ago.

Dr. Nebraska S.

Here’s a recent photo of my new Magnoli White Label LC jacket:

LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Looks great on you! Love the color as well, keep wearing it in good health!
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Absolutely, it does look fantastic - I love it! Thanks a bunch for sharing! :tup: :tup:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thank you both!

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

That's crazy that they got the pocket snaps wrong again. It seems like an easy, essential part of the design to get right.
Dr. Nebraska S.

That was the only frustrating part (after I had reminded about this a couple of times when I ordered the second one). I get the impression that perhaps not many WL LC jackets have been made. I have the options of 1) having the correct flaps mailed to me (but the distressing might not quite match and the seeing is dependent on the quality of whomever I find here to do it, or (2) mail the jacket back (which could be a long wait with international shipping these days).

Truth is that I’m rather found of this jacket and hate to let it go for so long, but also really want the correct flaps.

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I would send it back immediately. I mean, it's not like ANY Indy jacket has the snaps on the outside of the pocket flaps so it's pretty egregious. Other than that, it looks very nice.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I found this thread quite interesting, so thanks for sharing. I was sorry to hear about your troubles in life - divorce and all, but happy other areas of your life are doing well. I also love the look of this jacket. If I might encourage you about the jacket pocket snaps. Years ago I did a TV story on Wested Leather for CBC TV news and visited Peter's store. I asked him who of his staff worked on the original Raiders jacket (his "factory" was in the back of his store), and he introduced me to Margaret (I think that was her name) or maybe it was Doris. I specifically asked if she could make my jacket and also if they could autograph my jacket, which they did. They sewed a piece of leather into the liner and signed it (sadly it eventually wore off with use). Anyways, they rushed the jacket for me so I could get it before I left the UK and the forgot to put the receiver side of the snap on both pockets. It was fine and Peter sent me the hardware to fix it, which I never did, but things happen. Part of a custom made product. And to me that is part of the charm. Frustrating yes, but clearly you bought from a solid company who will make it right which says a ton and also encourages the rest of us that Magnoli makes things right!

Great Jacket my friend and please let us know when your book comes out. I should say I have been offered a teaching job in Cairo for next year and would be happy for any tips anyone might have on getting involved in any digs there.
best
Canada
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thanks Canada. :TOH: Yes, Magnoli has been good to work with on these options for rectifying this—and he was kind enough to work with me to make the LC jacket available in the White Label in the first place. I’m guessing that his team thought that the exposed snaps for the storm flap meant the snaps were supposed to be exposed for the pocket flaps, too And I’m guessing perhaps the fact that my second jacket had the same issue probably means not many of the LC jackets have been ordered by others. I hope more people do order these, because Magnoli’s really are beautiful LC jackets, and I know from him this whole incident has made his team cognizant of the correct pocket flaps snap arrangement.

Congratulations on teaching in Cairo! I don’t have any connections with digs in Egypt, but once you’re over there you’ll be in a better position to ask around there. The curators at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo were very helpful when I was getting images for my book, so perhaps you may want to reach out to the museum. As for my book, it’s been out a few years now—I’ll message you a link if you’re interested.

Dr. Nebraska S.

NEW LC MAGNOLI JACKET: I've had this a few weeks now, and this is the best work from Magnoli that I've received. This jacket has a great dark reddish-brown undertones that remind me of what I've seen of the Indy 5 jacket, and feels as sturdy as my Gibson & Barnes Expedition. Plus--the pocket snaps are finally correct! Here are a couple of photos of the front and back, and then the only outdoor photo wearing it and my Adventuribilt rabbit (Raiders but I re-bashed for more of a LC / CS front pinch) was with my girlfriend (I've cropped her out--not sure if she's ready to be seen here :D ):

Original size: https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 2/original

Original size: https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 4/original

Original size: https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 0/original

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska Schulte
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Lookin' good - I'm still working on breaking mine in some yet, lol. Keep us posted on the pics / how it breaks in, etc.! :clap:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

That leather looks amazing! In other photos of the WL, it looks more grey… is it more brown/copper like these latest photos?

I had ruled out the WL after seeing the grey looking leather, maybe I need to reconsider.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thank you Captain D! Hope to see yours soon!

Kokopelli, this is definitely more reddish/brown/copper undertones than my previous WL—no gray in this jacket.

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Dr. Nebraska S. wrote:Thank you Captain D! Hope to see yours soon!

Kokopelli, this is definitely more reddish/brown/copper undertones than my previous WL—no gray in this jacket.

interesting...I guess I would chat with Magnoli before I ordered t make sure of the color. That grayish one just looks terrible to me.
I want a cow leather, so I was looking at the Magnoli WL or the Wested standard cowhide. I would love an S&J or a standard Magnoli, but I think those are out of my budget.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Yeah, mine certainly doesn't have any gray undertones either. I'm going to try and break mine in a lil' further and I'll be sure to post some update pics...
Dr. Nebraska S.

Finally got some outdoors photos:

full size: https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 8/original

full size: https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 1/original

https://www.23hq.com/DrNebraskaS/photo/ ... 1/original

The color of this leather looks in person a lot like the Indy V jacket in these photos:

article source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... nes-5.html
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

We'll done! :clap: I love the look & age of the jacket, indeed. And, good point, mine (I thought too) was a good match for the Indy 5 jackets, which I love. Thanks for sharing and keep em' comin'!
Indy_Dave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Dave »

I'm really loving your latest Magnoli (this is a white label as well?)! I've been something on the fence about these and I think you just pushed me off! I definitely want the red undertones as that's what makes an Indy jacket for me. I have a goat that I love the weight of but it has the gray undertones and that puts me off a little.

I'm something of a larger gentleman myself and I agree with you that the LC seems to work better with having a gut. While I love the Raiders jacket, I'm thinking it's something of a young man's game. Kudos to a terrific looking jacket!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Indy_Dave wrote:I'm really loving your latest Magnoli (this is a white label as well?)! I've been something on the fence about these and I think you just pushed me off! I definitely want the red undertones as that's what makes an Indy jacket for me. I have a goat that I love the weight of but it has the gray undertones and that puts me off a little.

I'm something of a larger gentleman myself and I agree with you that the LC seems to work better with having a gut. While I love the Raiders jacket, I'm thinking it's something of a young man's game. Kudos to a terrific looking jacket!
Thank you! Yes, this latest is also a White Label as we. Here’s a photo from Father’s Day when my kids and I went to see Last Crusade:

Best wishes,
Dr. Nebraska S.