Harrisons Ford's clothing sizes

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Harrisons Ford's clothing sizes

Post by The Man with the Hat »

From Current Biography Yearbook 1984 p 132 "Harrison Ford is six feet one inch tall".

From The Complete Making of Indiana Jones p 51 "Original costume reference sheet from 1972 for Harrison Ford in American Graffiti":

Coat - 40L
Shirt - 16 (neck) / 35 (arm length)
T-shirt - Large
Pants W - 32
L - 33
Shoe - 10 1/2

As a kid, I read everything about Harrison Ford I could get my hands on and every magazine article I've ever read put his height at over 6 feet. I've never read any article that said he was anything less than that.

Six feet or more makes sense with sizes listed above like 40L for a coat and 33 length for pants.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That´s right,just look at how slender guy he is,from Star Wars to ToD even after weight training and now...his latest Expendables 3...or "What lies beneath"
SteelEyeball
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SteelEyeball »

HF was easily 6'1 in the original Indy movies, anyone who says he is 5'9 has been misinformed. If you're talking about his height TODAY, that would make more sense, as he has shrunken quite a bit with age and injuries over the years.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Almost everything I've ever read over 35 years put him at 6'1. It's not especially tall or special we don't have to make him 5'9 to demystify him. :mrgreen:
Yoyoyoman35
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Yoyoyoman35 »

Hahaha wow I love Indy fans. So dedicated to accuracy and authenticity. Actual Harrison Ford sizing, so cool! Love this forum!

- Grant :whip:
azuma
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by azuma »

Based on the D23 photo which features Harrison Ford and Johnny Depp, I think Ford is probably 5'11" nowadays, As Johnny is 5'10".

Azuma
The Man with the Hat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Man with the Hat »

The Man with the Hat wrote:From Current Biography Yearbook 1984 p 132 "Harrison Ford is six feet one inch tall".

From The Complete Making of Indiana Jones p 51 "Original costume reference sheet from 1972 for Harrison Ford in American Graffiti":

Coat - 40L
T-shirt - Large
Pants W - 32
L - 33
Shoe - 10 1/2
For those keeping track, from our forums and the main site we know that:

The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)

Asiana Jones' measurements of Tony Nowak Raiders Hero Replica:
Front Flap w/ Collar Stand vertically from bottom to top: 23"
Shoulder from sleeve seam to collar seam: ~7"
Sleeves from cuff to sleeve seam: between 25 1/2" to 25 3/4"
Back vertical length from Collar Stand to Lower back panel: 23"
Chest width: 22 1/2"
Waist width: 21 1/2"
Pockets: 8" x 6.5" (Crystal Skull Pocket for comparison: 7.5" x 6")

Raiders shirt from Profiles in History auction:
sleeve 34
collar 16
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

azuma wrote:Based on the D23 photo which features Harrison Ford and Johnny Depp, I think Ford is probably 5'11" nowadays, As Johnny is 5'10".

Azuma
Photos don't help much. Perspective, lifts in shoes, sloped/uneven flooring and posture can make things look different to what they are. For instance, I have a friend who is 5ft 8. I am six two. I have photos where he looks to be my hight. It's generally down to my posture and/or the framing of the photo.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Someone like Depp probably wears 2" heels to make himself taller, to be honest loads of Hollywood guys under 6Ft do. Not a problem for Ford of course his measurement stat sheet for Star Wars 1977 had his height at 6' 1/2" That easily makes him at least 6'1" in shoes. Probably about 5'11" these days with all his back injuries and age etc.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Here is an interesting page where different people discuss Harrison's height. Unfortunately most of the comments mention his height in cm's

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Harrison-Ford-152.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Most of what is written about celebrity hight is BS. Lots of men, particularly short men, are very envious of stars who are taller (or still have their own hair ) and spend a lot of energy "proving" via photos and dubious sophistical argument just why people like Harrison Ford are tiny (and wearing a rug).

Cm's are not hard, there's 2.54cm in every inch, so 6 foot is 183 cm. Five ten is 178cm. Etc - many people can read both without much problem. :TOH:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Harrison is no doubt 6'1". He was 2 inches taller than me the first time I met him, and I'm 5'11". The second time I met him, I checked again, just to be sure. Hollywood has a habit of claiming celebs are taller than they really are.

:TOH:

Kyle
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

azuma wrote:Based on the D23 photo which features Harrison Ford and Johnny Depp, I think Ford is probably 5'11" nowadays, As Johnny is 5'10".

Azuma
It is likely Depp has a heel on his boot adding one to one-and-a-half inches to his height.... :-k
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

I can confirm directly from Herbert Jones where I ordered my Beaver Poet that Harrison Ford's hat size during Raiders of the Lost Ark was 59.5cm coincidentally my same hat size. Keep in mind they use British Imperial as opposed to the United States which uses Imperial. We use inches and they use centimeters in this particular instance in regards to hat size.

Would be nice if there were some uniformity somewhere. lol.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I can see Raider's Ford wearing a 40 as he was pretty skinny back then. a 44 by the time of LC makes sense due to his weight lifting, etc.

Keep in mind, Depp is wearing pirate boots. They have a heel of at least 1.5" or so. Also his wig adds height as well.

Ford next to Connery in LC they seem almost the same height. Connery is supposedly 6'2" and Ford 6'1"

I highly doubt Ford is 5'9 compared to every other actor I've seen him next too. GL is 5'6 and Hamill is 5'9 and he is well above them. Ridley Scott is also listed as 5'9 and Ford is well above him.

Arnold is listed as 6'2 and Ford seems to be near his height. Liam Neeson is 6'4 and Ford looks to be only a little shorter than him.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

backstagejack wrote:Arnold is listed as 6'2 and Ford seems to be near his height.
Met Arnold at my local cigar shop and he's at least that tall compared to my 5'11.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Cajunkraut wrote:
backstagejack wrote:Arnold is listed as 6'2 and Ford seems to be near his height.
Met Arnold at my local cigar shop and he's at least that tall compared to my 5'11.
This reminds me of a month or so ago, I was watching True Grit during a Fathom Events. One of the before movie Trivia questions stated that John Wayne was 5'9 and just wore lifts (the trivia was submitted by a TCM backlot member). There's no way Wayne was 5'9.

He's listed as 6'1 in his college football stats and he generally stands as tall as anyone in Hollywood of that era that's listed around 6'0-6'5 at least. Standing next to Gene Autry (who IS listed as 5'9) he absolutely towers over. He generally stands around the same height as Gary Cooper who was listed as 6'3. No lifts give you that much height without it being painfully obvious.

I get that actors might exaggerate their height but someone like Ford has never seemed like he'd care what anyone thought of his height. If he was 5'9 we'd definitely know it.

I believe Ford is the height we've always thought - 6'1".

(also, that's epic you ran into Arnold. I love that he smokes cigars)
Last edited by backstagejack on Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Not that it matters all that much, but I just saw this video from another thread today (I've never seen it before, though many of you probably have). It's from 2015 and features Adam Savage and Deborah Nadoolman talking about the Indy costume. (It may already be in this thread, I'm not sure...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It also appears to answer the question (from this thread) about Harrison Ford's height at the time of Raiders: Nadoolman shows a drawing from this costume exhibit in which she labels Ford as 6' 1-1/2" tall. Since she needed to know his height accurately in order to design and create the wardrobe, that would seem to be pretty definitive, no?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Howard Weinstein wrote: It also appears to answer the question (from this thread) about Harrison Ford's height at the time of Raiders: Nadoolman shows a drawing from this costume exhibit in which she labels Ford as 6' 1-1/2" tall. Since she needed to know his height accurately in order to design and create the wardrobe, that would seem to be pretty definitive, no?

I'm in no doubt Ford is 6'1 or maybe the slightest bit shorter due to age.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Not that it matters all that much, but I just saw this video from another thread today (I've never seen it before, though many of you probably have). It's from 2015 and features Adam Savage and Deborah Nadoolman talking about the Indy costume. (It may already be in this thread, I'm not sure...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It also appears to answer the question (from this thread) about Harrison Ford's height at the time of Raiders: Nadoolman shows a drawing from this costume exhibit in which she labels Ford as 6' 1-1/2" tall. Since she needed to know his height accurately in order to design and create the wardrobe, that would seem to be pretty definitive, no?
Not necessarily - Nadoolman gets lot s of things very wrong. In that interview for instance, she wrongly and bizarrely describes that Last Crusade jacket as the first Raiders jacket she hand aged. Watch Adam's face.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

How tall was Harrison Ford really? Celebrity Height!
Video Evidence January 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1IJEle0KUc
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

zeus36 wrote:How tall was Harrison Ford really? Celebrity Height!
Video Evidence January 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1IJEle0KUc

Hmmmm judging from publicity stills and public appearances can be tricky. Publicity stills they could be standing on a box for all we know and public appearances this video goes back and forth from "He's at least 6'1 here" to "here he struggles to be 5'11". All based on a back surgery he had during the TOD era.

I'll stick with 6'1" at his prime. That's good enough for me.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Ford is 6ft and probably a little less bare foot now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Great photo, Stefan! What was the context of your meeting?
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

In my experience, many people, specially men lie about their height, and all the artists lies about their height.
It is a know fact that even John Wayne used to wear lifts inside his boots and that man was huge!!!
IMHO I believe Noel Howard :lol:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

darth_ming wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:56 pm In my experience, many people, specially men lie about their height, and all the artists lies about their height.
It is a know fact that even John Wayne used to wear lifts inside his boots and that man was huge!!!
IMHO I believe Noel Howard :lol:
Well, here we are again. Noel Howard just like Deborah Noodelman was not always the most accurate person to recall events or specifically measurements from 20-30 years ago.

There's also zero proof Wayne wore lifts aside from maybe a quote from a random celebrity here or there. I'm not even sure why he would. He did wear cowboy boots which naturally make one taller which he admitted that this was the case. 5'9 James Caan admitted to wearing 3 inch lifts during El Dorado and Duke is still taller than him. If Duke did wear lifts.... he would have been as tall as James Arness which he noticeably wasn't.

In fact, I've seen two of the Duke's cars that had to be modified to accommodate his height which would have nothing to do with lifts. And he had to modify his ship "The Wild Goose" to accommodate his height. Both of Duke's sons are 6' or taller...... I met Ethan Wayne 2 years ago and can attest to this myself. Duke was also a man who freely admitted that he wore a wig to anyone that asked... if hair wasn't a problem (which it often is more than height)....why would height be? :-k He has plenty of pics not wearing his wig out in public and on his boat. Why would he wear his lifts on his personal boat?

and though several members of this forum have met Ford and have attested to his height of being over 6' and despite the fact that Ford is taller than 5'9 Mark Hamill in Star Wars and any other accurate pic of them together......he could be 5'9 and I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford would have no problem telling people his actual height if he cared at all about his height. Ford has never struck me as the kind of person that would ever care about something like that.

I'd say 6'1 at his prime, shorter now due to age and damage. But not in 1981 IMO :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Fords height was just under 6'1" On the first Star Wars. During the 80s and 90s he maintained about 6 feet. He's had back injuries and surgeries, but he's a fit man who stays in shape. Connery was 6'2 in his prime and you can see the inch and bit difference between them in the LC movie. It's all adds up correctly.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Well, the information from Mr Wayne I got it from book "The survival of the prettiest: the science of beauty" wrote by Nancy Etcoff, arguing for a biological basis for beauty linked to evolutionary psychology. Nancy is a psychologist and researcher at Harvard University. Etcoff taught classes about the mind, brain, behavior, and aesthetics at Harvard Medical School.

In the book, she explained that in her research she found that fact from the famous actor, in the context of the insecurities of people.... Wayne used lifts on cowboy boots!!!! Unbeliebable

Noel Howard is a good reference for me because he was in charge to make the clothing the actor used for the movie, so how he would be able to do that if he wasn't accurate? also I remember clearly that in this same thread, it was showed a pic showing the measurements Noel Howard had wrote down, so, that information didn't came from remembering but from taking it directly from the source...

Anyway, to sum up, the main problem is your imperial system of measurements that is not that accurate :lol: I live in the metric system so it is really straighforward for me ;)

[/quote]

Well, here we are again. Noel Howard just like Deborah Noodelman was not always the most accurate person to recall events or specifically measurements from 20-30 years ago.

There's also zero proof Wayne wore lifts aside from maybe a quote from a random celebrity here or there. I'm not even sure why he would. He did wear cowboy boots which naturally make one taller which he admitted that this was the case. 5'9 James Caan admitted to wearing 3 inch lifts during El Dorado and Duke is still taller than him. If Duke did wear lifts.... he would have been as tall as James Arness which he noticeably wasn't.....

[/quote]
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

darth_ming wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:40 pm Well, the information from Mr Wayne I got it from book "The survival of the prettiest: the science of beauty" wrote by Nancy Etcoff, arguing for a biological basis for beauty linked to evolutionary psychology. Nancy is a psychologist and researcher at Harvard University. Etcoff taught classes about the mind, brain, behavior, and aesthetics at Harvard Medical School.

In the book, she explained that in her research she found that fact from the famous actor, in the context of the insecurities of people.... Wayne used lifts on cowboy boots!!!! Unbeliebable
In that book it states, "John Wayne was six feet four but, according to Robert Mitchum...." In that book is states that the source was "From an interview with Robert Mitchum, Esquire, February 1983, p. 52."

So this does nothing to refute what I stated. A statement from an actor in 1983 about another actor he worked with in the 60s and 70s that is quoted in a book written in 1999 is not a fact. No where near it actually. Yes, it is unbelievable. :roll:

darth_ming wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:40 pm Noel Howard is a good reference for me because he was in charge to make the clothing the actor used for the movie, so how he would be able to do that if he wasn't accurate? also I remember clearly that in this same thread, it was showed a pic showing the measurements Noel Howard had wrote down, so, that information didn't came from remembering but from taking it directly from the source...

Anyway, to sum up, the main problem is your imperial system of measurements that is not that accurate :lol: I live in the metric system so it is really straighforward for me ;)
This means nothing in the context of Howard remembering wrong or having written it down wrong or had the measurements mixed up with someone else's. Or even translated it wrong from the metric system. Many people even on this forum and in this thread can attest that Harrison Ford is not 5'9.

:TOH:
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Well I suppose we will never know how was the situation, Noel Howard is not longer with us, HF has become older so for sure his height has changed, and the likewise a book, or a sheet can be discarded as facts, the opinion or comments of allegedly people who has shared the same place with HF neither can be considered facts but personal views of a subjective matter.
I appreciate your posts though as I believe that different opinions makes this place valuable.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

In Raiders the scene in the classroom with him talking to Marcus clearly shows he’s 6 feet tall.

Anyway the hat size should be listed as

7 1/4 European (size 59, 7 3/8 American).

I’m not sure the source on that 7 1/4 for Raiders but that’s the conversion to other sizes

For Temple you can see the tag showing

7 1/4

In the auction video with Adam savage.
Kyarklover
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kyarklover »

Quote="The Man with the Hat" post_id=872533 time=1447304154 user_id=5139]
The Man with the Hat wrote:From Current Biography Yearbook 1984 p 132 "Harrison Ford is six feet one inch tall".

Coat - 40L
T-shirt - Large
Pants W - 32
L - 33
Shoe - 10 1/2
For those keeping track, from our forums and the main site we know that:

The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)

Asiana Jones' measurements of Tony Nowak Raiders Hero Replica:
Front Flap w/ Collar Stand vertically from bottom to top: 23"
Shoulder from sleeve seam to collar seam: ~7"
Sleeves from cuff to sleeve seam: between 25 1/2" to 25 3/4"
Back vertical length from Collar Stand to Lower back panel: 23"
Chest width: 22 1/2"
Waist width: 21 1/2"
Pockets: 8" x 6.5" (Crystal Skull Pocket for comparison: 7.5" x 6")

Raiders shirt from Profiles in History auction:
sleeve 34
collar 16
[/quote]

I want to ask a stupid question LOL for the jacket the back vertical length it says from color stand is that the collar from the very top to the very bottom of the jacket or is that measuring from where the collar is stitched on seam to the bottom of the jacket? In other words is it 23 in total length in the back or is it 23 in plus the collar with or height added to it?