Any suggestions for my first Wested?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Any suggestions for my first Wested?

Post by lowmileage »

I'm new on this forum but I think it is way cool 8) . I have a US Wings Horsehide that I just bought in May and can't wait till the fall when I can start wearing it. It turned out to be slightly too big cause since I got it, I've lost some weight. I bought a #44 and it probably should be at least a #42 or maybe when I'm done dropping another 10 lbs, a #40. This will be my cold weather winter jacket layered with something under it, to help full it out.

For a jacket prior to this, before it really gets cold (Long Island, NY), I was thinking of a Raiders Lamb. I would later like to add a Goatskin whether it be a LC or TofD. Any opinions on my first. Is the jacket made as a snug fit? I do not want layering on this jacket , just want to wear a reg. shirt under it but I don't want a real tight fit.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Peter makes his jackets like suits. So if you find wearing suits comfortable, then you should be fine.

A note: If you have large shoulders, you may want to get someone to measure you. My very first Wested, I ordered a standard size and I found the shoulders and upper back a bit too tight.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

For a snug fit, send in all the measurements you can get! Preferrably, go to a tailor and tell him you want to be measured for a leather jacket you want to fit snuggly and then talk to Peter on his advice.

Other than that, there is an almost endless stream of options for you to decide on. Do a search to find out more about them, though some of those you'll find are these:

Elastics between action pleats -Helps keeping the pleats closed.
Hidden press studs -One upper and one lower, LC-style but could be added to all jackets.
Gussetts -Single by default if you add them, but could be done double for further movability.
X-box pattern sidestraps -Box is standard, X-box is a sturdier config.
(D-rings is standard, I think, but other options are present.)
Extra inside pocket -Could be made "grail size" and/or with a zipper added.
Cotton body, satin sleeves -Recommended config.

These are just some options off the top of my head. Good luck, and tell us what you end up deciding for. ;)

Welcome!

Regards,
Swindiana