Young Indy Hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Young Indy Hat

Post by IJJTM »

Does anyone know the origins of the young Indy fedora that Sean Patrick Flannery wore? I'm reading an HJ interview and they say that they were the ones that provided hats, but I was wondering if anyone knew any more.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Young Indy Hat

Post by Mulceber »

HJ actually offers a reproduction if you ask for it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BURbAmQgWRO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I get the sense that the costumers for YIJC weren't as detail oriented as they are in the movies, since it's actually pretty different - wider ribbon, much looser crease, and iirc no dimensional cut. But you can get it from HJ if you like it (as I do).
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Penman does one in the YIJC in The Adventure Built Legacy line.
I have a Legacy in SOC and it’s quality made hat.

Croft :mrgreen:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Its funny this came up- I've been watching the dvd's recently, paying attention to his hat...it is very obvious that there are a couple different ones. The most frequently worn example is a fedora that has been turned backwards, with the ribbon switched to the other side, and re-bashed.

It is very obvious to anyone who knows fedoras and is looking at the details- in a lot of scenes, with good lighting you can still see the original bash creases on the back of the hat. The Treasure of the Peacock's Eye episode has really good examples of the evidence.

I remember watching the dvd's when they first came out, and thinking how lazy it was of the costumer to do a 180 on a fedora to intentionally make it look bad on the actor!

I did some research back then but never could find any verifiable info on it.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I know someone once mentioned in the Barcelona 1917 episode you can clearly see the inside of the hat and the Herbert Johnson logo.

Richard Swales also said they were HJ's in taupe but his memory has been known to be spotty. To me they look like HJ's and I would think GL would go to that hat source as they had just finished LC. Maybe old stock?

I also remembering hearing from someone on this forum that they were of made with different dimensions to give the impression he had to grow into it.. that either it was an un altered Poet without the indy specs or it just didn't have the dimensional brim.

I also remember reading that it would change so drastically because they didn't take care of the hats at all, so in some episodes it looks good and some it's horrible and some you get.. the peacocks eye style. They would just take a beat up hat and do a quick horrible rebash and call it good. Sometimes it had an almost raider look and then other times it would just be abysmal.

Seems the hat was as inconsistent as the writing and directing..... :-k

Here's a thread from several years ago about the hat.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... dy#p831033
Later in the series the hat just naturally begin to shrink and taper from heavy wear... but was never reblocked
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Any idea why they flipped it? Also could you provide an example of when his hat looked like a Raider?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

IJJTM wrote:Any idea why they flipped it? Also could you provide an example of when his hat looked like a Raider?

My guess is the hats were so damaged or whatever that they figured they could get a good look from the untapered back? No idea.

I know they filmed these out of order which could explain the odd swapping of hats. It goes from good to bad to horrible to good to okay to what?

Here's the best pic I could find as I don't have the ability to screen cap from my DVDs yet. There were a few episodes that the hat had the tall crown and the large brim that had a very almost Raiders look. "Adventures in the secret service" come to mind as well as the pancho Villa episode.

His hat from the Pancho Villa episode and the adventurers in he secret service episode

Then there's this which is kinda LC in the London episode

The early hats look kinda Raiders or LC... very Indy. The later hats seem.... horrible. And That kinda makes sense if they were hats there were mishandled and not taken care of.

Then there's this which I think is the before mentioned turned around hat....

Peacocks eye

Hollywood Follys
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

I contacted Mr Swales in 1992 and ordered a YIJ poet from him. According to Swales, the Young Indy hat was an off the shelf, uncut Poet in Taupe (Mushroom brown as he described it). There is a quick shot in one of the episodes where Indy is hiding in a room and removes his hat revealing the stick-on HJ label on the inside top.

My first YI hat had the perfect tribute section bow on it but it took a dive in San Francisco Bay and I sent it back for a refurbish. The hat was replaced and had a standard looking bow which disappointed me..

~Ron
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Do you happen to have any pictures of it?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Also, does anyone know if the old Indy hat on the show was the same type of HJ, or something else?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It was an HJ Poet, but not modified with the dimensional cut and thinner ribbon that they did for the movies.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

IJJTM wrote:Also, does anyone know if the old Indy hat on the show was the same type of HJ, or something else?
Do you mean the one worn by George Hall?

I'd assume it's an HJ Poet as well considering all the other hats were. It definitely looks like it is. It also seems to change quality and wear and tear depending on the episode which makes me wonder if they had a few in different sizes for actors, stuntmen, etc. Probably just had him use whatever one fit him. :-k
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I used to own one. I didn't order it specifically, but it was what HJ sent me as it was during the production of the YIJ series. It had a 2 inch ribbon without the double bow feature. The brim was floppier than the very stiff LC Poets I had received previously from HJ. I sold it on eBay in 2005. It was a good hat, but I was downsizing my collection and something had to go.

Jack
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I know I’m the odd man out here but that is my favorite hat. Floppy, poorly fit, and all over the place. It fit the character portrayed in the series and isn’t a Cairo :lol:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It’s one of mine as well.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mulceber wrote:It’s one of mine as well.
Glad to know I’m in good company ;) :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I like how it looks when it's not trashed. Adventures in the Secret service and the Pancho Villa episodes are probably my favorite.

Wasn't the first hat the Tom Baker wore as the Doctor also an unaltered poet?

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

I was just perusing the HJ website after seeing the Doctor Who mention. They offer a "Fourth Doctor" version of the Poet. The brim is 3-1/2 inches wide rather than being "Indy" width.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Awesome to see Young Indy Chronicles get some attention! It came out when I was a young little 2nd Grader in Kansas City and I watched it over and over all the way through University, and still do on occasion. Between it and the original movies (and The Adventures of Tintin comics) I developed a huge love of history, and thanks to the Mystery of the Blues episode, Jazz. I was always shocked at how bad the fedora looked in some episodes, and I guess posted above is the answer. Shame too, I think Indy’s Pancho Villa costume and hat look pretty awesome, if they ever do any Young Indy again I would hope they’d bring back that look. I will say though, I can’t help feel that Indy’s fedora in the 1930s is the same Garth gave him in Utah is more George Lucas head-cannoning his own franchise then any believable cannon. Oh well.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I have a question.
I’m thinking of purchasing a Hats Direct Fed deluxe, and since it comes open crown, I’m thinking of getting one and trying to do a young Indy bash similar to the secret secret service.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Just asking for a friend, me. :-

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I’ve seen a few people here do it in the past. You can easily get the bash correct... since it’s all over the place in the series :lol:

The only problem is that the Young Indy hat doesn’t have a dimensional cut brim where the Fed does. Also, you might want to replace the ribbon too. The Young Indy has a wider ribbon.

Please post pics if you do get one and go that route :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I’d forgotten about the dimensional cut. But I’m still going to go or it, and since I do the bash, I’m going for a lighter pinch.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Indiana Croft wrote:I’d forgotten about the dimensional cut. But I’m still going to go or it, and since I do the bash, I’m going for a lighter pinch.
Actually, wouldn’t the Akubra Adventurer sold by David Morgan be a better option for Young Indy? It’s brim is 3 1/8 inch and the crown is both tall and open crown. The color is a little lighter but the shape would be spot on I would think; it was too has a dimensional cut but trust me, the brim is plenty wide. I had one but sadly trimmed the brim down hoping to make a Raiders, should’ve stuck with a Pancho Villa Young Indy. Maybe a project for the far future as it would be awesome to recreate the look from that episode, my favorite Indy look after Last Crusade.

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/produc ... pen-crown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hobbit Fedora wrote:
Indiana Croft wrote:I’d forgotten about the dimensional cut. But I’m still going to go or it, and since I do the bash, I’m going for a lighter pinch.
Actually, wouldn’t the Akubra Adventurer sold by David Morgan be a better option for Young Indy? It’s brim is 3 1/8 inch and the crown is both tall and open crown. The color is a little lighter but the shape would be spot on I would think; it was too has a dimensional cut but trust me, the brim is plenty wide. I had one but sadly trimmed the brim down hoping to make a Raiders, should’ve stuck with a Pancho Villa Young Indy. Maybe a project for the far future as it would be awesome to recreate the look from that episode, my favorite Indy look after Last Crusade.

https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/produc ... pen-crown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only problem with the Morgan Akubra Adventurer (while a very nice hat) is that the open crown is not the big broad-shouldered squared-off shape we generally associate with Indy hats (except for Temple of Doom) -- and that you get with the Fed IV. So, when bashed with a center dent and front pinch, it tends to come out either slightly shorter or slightly tapered.

I've had 2 Morgan Adventurers and ended up selling them because they didn't yield that more square-ish crown configuration.

But, yes, because the standard brim (though dimensional-cut) is wider than an Indy hat would have, you could conceivably trim 1/8" off the front and back and come up with something close to the 3" brim of the Poet that became the various Young Indy hats.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

The only problem with the Morgan Akubra Adventurer (while a very nice hat) is that the open crown is not the big broad-shouldered squared-off shape we generally associate with Indy hats (except for Temple of Doom) -- and that you get with the Fed IV. So, when bashed with a center dent and front pinch, it tends to come out either slightly shorter or slightly tapered.

I've had 2 Morgan Adventurers and ended up selling them because they didn't yield that more square-ish crown configuration.

But, yes, because the standard brim (though dimensional-cut) is wider than an Indy hat would have, you could conceivably trim 1/8" off the front and back and come up with something close to the 3" brim of the Poet that became the various Young Indy hats.

That’s true, the crown is a little low for both Indy and Young Indy. And the color would be a little off too. But with the lighter bash seen with the Young Indy it would still be a pretty decent replication. However, the more I think about it the Fed 4 may just be the best option. The DM Adventurer wouldn’t look out of place for Sam Neil in Jurassic Park though :D
ChrisW
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ChrisW »

We might have to review our interpretation that there was but one weathered hat that was originally the pristine hat!

Looks like at some point the YIJ hat or one of them was auctioned:
https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/lot-de ... /lot/80396

It's a little confusing in that the description says it was Sean's hat but was obtained from a Stuntman. However, they included a photo between the stuntman and Sean, which shows a beaten up one that may have been the rear dent hat on the Stuntman and the pristine one on Sean.

Definitely Herbert Johnson

The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

This one’s mine, Michelle at HJ does an excellent job as you would expect.

Gerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z Smith
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Z Smith »

Big surprise to the guys on here that know me, I'm once again late to the party. This is an unpopular opinion but I think that as bad as the hat looks, from the time he got it to when we see it in the first teen Indy episode is 3 years, plus he always has it in the show. So I think that as bad as it looks its about how I assume it would look after Indy wearing it for so long. Also on a complete side note, my boy scout troop is taking a trip to philemont next summer and I intend to buy a cheap wool felt "close enough" with a large brim to cut to about 3 inches and make an Young Indy to torture on boy scout trips.