New Agnoulita Young Indy hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New Agnoulita Young Indy hat

Post by Tremolo »

Since I started working on a new Young Indiana Jones Diary and began to rewatch the entire series, the urge to once again own a proper YIJ-style fedora began to grow. Ten years or so ago I used to have a pretty nice Christy´s from Hornet Hats that I ordered with a bigger ribbon and 3 Inch brim, but that is long gone.

After having a good experience with Agnoulita hats (here is the Templar I bought from them last year) I decided to give their Young Indy model a try. But instead of going with the suggested color combination of brown for the felt and chocolate for the ribbon I decided for Umber Brown and Pecan. I knew I wanted a slightly warmer brown, as the hat in the series always appeared to me to be lighter and warmer toned than the classic Sable we all love and a slightly lighter ribbon. I also went with the soft options for the crown and brim to have it as floppy as possible.

Before shipping it to me they even send me pictures of the finished hat asking if it was as I wanted. That gave the overall service a really nice touch.

After a couple of days it arrived at my door and the color of the felt was just as I hoped it would be. I can´t say that for the Pecan ribbon, but I kind of expected that a little bit, so that is entirely my fault for taking a gamble. However, that was no major problem as I still had a big roll of vintage dark brown 2 inch wide ribbon, which color wise is somewhere between the normal dark brown and the lighter DoD Sable ribbon.

A couple of hours of sewing and and a rebash later it was finally finished and now I am really happy with it.

Here it is from a couple more angles.

The hat itself is as well made as my last one. The felt is a little bit thinner than my (stiffer) Templar and even with the less stiffener option it feels quite substantial. The original ribbonwork was also done very well and the sweatband is quite soft and comfortable.

In case you wonder how the Umber Brown differs from their Standard Brown, here is a comparison picture of my new Young Indy hat next to the Agnoulita Templar which I reshaped into a Raiders hat a while ago.

Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: New Agnoulita Young Indy hat

Post by Rob »

That's a really nice hat, congrats :whip:

I have a desire to re-watch all of the YIJC one day, too. I know I'll watch all the documentaries as well, however, so a long-ish watchthrough will become an absolutely epic endeavour!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Fantastic hat, Tremolo! You helped me with a YIJ hat from Christy's over 15 years ago, and I'm happy to see you're still passionate about the YIJ fed!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

The hat looks great. The felt looks on the thicker side, I kind of dig it. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thanks guys! :TOH: The felt is definitely on the thicker side, just a tad thinner than my older Agnoulita. Right now I am still working a bit on the brim to get the drop and also swoop right. It’s never ending, right?

The hat also made me start another rewatch of the series :D
indy89 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:01 pm Fantastic hat, Tremolo! You helped me with a YIJ hat from Christy's over 15 years ago, and I'm happy to see you're still passionate about the YIJ fed!
Thank you! It’s so so cool you remember that :TOH: Do you still have that YIJ Christy’s? Mine is still in pieces waiting for a reblock and new ribbon.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Tremolo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:51 pm
indy89 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:01 pm Fantastic hat, Tremolo! You helped me with a YIJ hat from Christy's over 15 years ago, and I'm happy to see you're still passionate about the YIJ fed!
Thank you! It’s so so cool you remember that :TOH: Do you still have that YIJ Christy’s? Mine is still in pieces waiting for a reblock and new ribbon.
No, I wore it one too many times in the rain and it tapered to the point where I could no longer wear it out of embarrassment :lol: I salvaged the ribbon with the intention of sewing it on a Fed. IV, but I never got around to that. The Agnoulita Young Indy is awfully tempting, though. I may have to get one for myself.