M-421A - the REAL inspiration for Indy Jackets?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Velahrn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

M-421A - the REAL inspiration for Indy Jackets?

Post by Velahrn »

Hi folks

There is a popular opinion there that the Indy Jacket was based on A2 pilot jacket, modified for warmer climate. But recently I found the United States Navy M-421A summer flying jacket , which is surprisingly similar to the Indy Jacket. Basically the only difference is the half-belt on the back, and of course, material (it was made of sateen cotton). Please note the overall design, no windcuffs, shape of the collar.

Included pictures - modern repro, made by Real Mccoy
R8A4324.jpeg
R8A4318final.jpeg
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: M-421A - the REAL inspiration for Indy Jackets?

Post by Charybdis »

Sure could pass for a cotton Indy jacket.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

What we know...

- The A-2 started appearing in the early 1930s

- The M-421A started appearing in the late 1930s

- The M-421A thus has the DNA of the A-2 in it; the A-2 being established for almost a decade prior

- Peter Botwright was absolutely thinking A-2 and working with A-2 designs when he made the jacket

So my takeaway is that an A-2 was the jacket modified to become Indy's jacket, but the look of the M-421A is no accident as it was likely using the A-2 design as a starting point. So it's absolutely fair to say the M-421A looks like an Indy jacket. I just don't see the link that it was the jacket, versus what we already know :whip:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Right. Basically an A2 with no knits to allow for the bag underneath, and the gun belt/whip.

The M-421A does make me long for the old khaki cotton Indy US Wings produced way back. I’d like a cotton Indy in khaki and olive drab with a thin liner!

The M-421A is a cool jacket.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Might just want to get one of these flight jackets. They are not too expensive.
Velahrn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Velahrn »

Rob wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:29 pm

So my takeaway is that an A-2 was the jacket modified to become Indy's jacket, but the look of the M-421A is no accident as it was likely using the A-2 design as a starting point. So it's absolutely fair to say the M-421A looks like an Indy jacket. I just don't see the link that it was the jacket, versus what we already know :whip:
It could also be that way. In we are into biology, a jacket that evolves in hot climate will always loose wind cuffs :D to allow more air flow. Actually, I am pretty sure that cotton jacket would be more suitable for Indy in most of his adventures, but of course, not that cool.

for all folks who would like to try M-421A, I recommend Bronson Mfg version. it is much, much cheaper (around 100 USD), and with surprisingly high quality!
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Velahrn wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:29 pm It could also be that way.
I think so. On one side, they aren't going to reinvent the wheel. They're going to be aware of the A-2 - which had been successful for almost a decade at that point - and it's going to be in their thinking. On the other side, a flight jacket needs to be a certain length, ideally with pleats to allow movement, and if you throw in a zip and a collar, it's going to start looking like something between an A-2 and an Indy jacket, even if you've never seen an A-2 before. There's not many avenues to drive down. Plus, as mentioned, Peter said many times that he started with an A-2 style jacket :whip:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I note that this style of jacket has the diamond elbow patches like a G8 Type 440 Jacket. Nice looking jacket! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Illinois James wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:56 pm R

The M-421A does make me long for the old khaki cotton Indy US Wings produced way back. I’d like a cotton Indy in khaki and olive drab with a thin liner!

I have a Wings cotton in size medium hanging in my closet.

Regards! Michaelson
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Michaelson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:43 am

Regards! Michaelson
I was pretty sure you did. I’ll admit I was fishing for that! :rolling:

Let me know when it no longer brings you joy!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Of course there is always the Wested cotton Indy jacket. They currently sell it in dark brown and black.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Illinois James wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:41 pm
Michaelson wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:43 am

Regards! Michaelson
I was pretty sure you did. I’ll admit I was fishing for that! :rolling:

Let me know when it no longer brings you joy!
;)
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Charybdis wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:07 pm Of course there is always the Wested cotton Indy jacket. They currently sell it in dark brown and black.
The Wested cotton jackets are nice. I have an older one with cotton lined sleeves, which is fine over a short sleeve shirt. Also have the newer one with satin sleeves. They’re fine but in cooler weather, I reach for a leather jacket. Like many here I have too many from most makers, past and current.

A true summer jacket to me is a lighter color with some rain repellent quality.

Also have a dark green and a black waxed cotton Magnoli. They’re great in rain, but both dark colors. Waxed cotton is fine for bags and packs, but I really don’t like it in warmer humid weather (I’m really only gonna wear it if it’s raining).

The M421A sort of goes along with my preference as it’s a summer flight jacket, with lighter color and no knits to allow for circulation. Could just get one of those I guess and treat it with water repellent. There are a lot of good ones out there.

This jacket also has a great utility style which I like. I’ve never been a fan of the modern textile stuff for typical rain jackets but I know they’re really good at what they’re designed for. Short of being in a hurricane, I prefer my Adventurebilt to a hood!

So, trying to stay on topic, but a cotton Indy in the fabric of this flight jacket, khaki and/or light olive with waterproofing would be great to have in the car all summer I think. JMO