The Costume Base Indy Shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The Costume Base Indy Shirt

Post by Western New York Indy »

Hello fellow gear enthusiasts!

I wanted to open up a discussion about the Costume Base shirt. I have one, but I want to hear if other people have thoughts or experience with these shirts. I know they're not 100% screen-accurate Per Se, but I believe they are the closest you can get for such a low price. I have my own thoughts/review, but don't want to add that to this discussion until I've heard if some other people have experience/thoughts/opinions/reviews/whatever.

-WNY Indy
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: The Costume Base Indy Shirt

Post by Indiana Croft »

So I don’t have one and actually never heard of them.
Do you have a link so 8ncan check them out.
As I wear the indy shirt like several times a week.

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

There are a few threads here discussing them, but they are all fairly old.

Based on comments the quality is surprisingly good. The cut is wider in the body than a typical Indy shirt.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Croft wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:21 pm So I don’t have one and actually never heard of them.
Do you have a link so 8ncan check them out.
As I wear the indy shirt like several times a week.

Here's the link to where I bought mine on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Sa ... r=8-5&th=1

The company itself also has a separate site https://www.thecostumebase.com/indy-jones-shirt/

I will say, I was worried about the quality based on the pictures alone. However, when actually wearing it, it's surprisingly nice for a cheaper option. I wore it for an entire day at Disney World in pretty high heat, and it was very comfortable and looks great in the pictures I took. A number of Indy cosplayers have used this for a distressed ToD bridge scene shirt. I guess since it's cheap it feels better than beating the heck out of an Azuma or WPG or something else along that priceline.

-WNY Indy
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jeff wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:07 pm There are a few threads here discussing them, but they are all fairly old.

Based on comments the quality is surprisingly good. The cut is wider in the body than a typical Indy shirt.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Just went back and found some of those other threads. I searched yesterday to see if there were other threads on this topic, but I guess I didn't go back far enough- oops :[ I was quite surprised by the quality of the shirt when I received mine. Although I know the shirt isn't fully screen accurate, it's comfortable and does the job.

-WNY Indy
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Makes sense as a good price point for an extremely weathered/TOD shirt.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Jeff wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:42 pm Makes sense as a good price point for an extremely weathered/TOD shirt.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yes indeed. I've seen a few people across the internet achieve spectacular results by weathering these shirts. Kirk Brackmann of the Colorado Jones cosplay group has a great video on how he weathers Costume Base shirts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2IQobL4tw&t=44s What he was able to do with a cheap shirt and just a few supplies is quite impressive.

-WNY Indy
parfaitelumiere
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by parfaitelumiere »

OK so following the video, the pockets are wrong, that's a bit a shame because on their website they show both correct and wrong pocket size.
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

OK so following the video, the pockets are wrong, that's a bit a shame because on their website they show both correct and wrong pocket size.

Yes, that's one of the minor inaccuracies of this particular shirt. As for the photos on the website, I found a thread from 2008 that shows a Costume Base shirt with the correct pockets. So it would seem they have had multiple runs of these and this most recent run is unfortunately not as screen accurate in the pocket department as previous runs have been. Good catch!! I hadn't really thought much about the pocket issue until you brought it up.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to grab the Antikythera and go back to 2008- I must have one of these Costume Base shirts with accurate pockets :lol:

-WNY Indy
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Ok, watched the vidieo to get some tips.
Does anyone know what he's using in the water to color/weather the shirt :-k

I did something similar to one of my shirts using Indy Magnoli method, using Potassium Permanganate, which goes on purple and dry's to a nice brownish hue.
Here's the link to that thread:
https://indygear.net/cow/viewtopic.php?t=72597

Here's one of the front, it's subtle, but I wasn't looking for real over the top look.

Here's a great picture of the back.

Here's accouple on my mannequin

I used my air brush to get into the seams, but his video gives my some ideas to go back and you a tooth brush on the seams.
And I have plenty of shirts to experiment on too. :anxious:

Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indiana Croft wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:07 pm Ok, watched the vidieo to get some tips.
Does anyone know what he's using in the water to color/weather the shirt :-k

I did something similar to one of my shirts using Indy Magnoli method, using Potassium Permanganate, which goes on purple and dry's to a nice brownish hue.
Here's the link to that thread:
https://indygear.net/cow/viewtopic.php?t=72597

Here's one of the front, it's subtle, but I wasn't looking for real over the top look.

Here's a great picture of the back.

Here's accouple on my mannequin

I used my air brush to get into the seams, but his video gives my some ideas to go back and you a tooth brush on the seams.
And I have plenty of shirts to experiment on too. :anxious:

In the video, he used a mixture of black and brown liquid shoe polish, black tea, black acrylic paint, and a bit of brown makeup.

The weathering on your shirt looks great!! Well done- It's just enough that it's noticeable, but not too much, so it still looks realistic. In my humble opinion, you really nailed it.

-WNY Indy