The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by Iandiana Jones »

Any word on when they're getting restocked?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Great pics, looks like it has served you well. 2008 seems like yesterday, til you realize it's 16 years ago... :shock:

Cheers,
Bear
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

bearbeast wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:04 pm Great pics, looks like it has served you well. 2008 seems like yesterday, til you realize it's 16 years ago... :shock:

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks for that, Bear. I do really enjoy that hat and still wear it regularly. It’s outlasted my HJ from the same year. I’ll share some pics of that in the HJ thread, but you’ll see why I’ve passed it on! You’re absolutely correct - I feel like I’ve only blinked and 16 years are gone! Hope you’re well.
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Hey everyone,
I received my FedIV about a week ago, and the thing is absolutely awesome.
I decided to go with the shaping service, I asked for them to put a Raiders style bash on it, and I think they nailed it. The staff at The Hattery are fantastic, helpful and friendly and fast! My order was shipped the same day I placed it. I would highly recommend dealing with them.
I also sized up as per recommendation and it was absolutely the right call. The hat is a touch loose, and perfect with the foam, giving it a little room for shrinkage. Now I just need to get some miles on it so it doesn’t look so new 😂
The only gripe I could possible find with this hat is that the color is too dark for a Raiders hat, which I knew going in. I really went back and forth between this and the Advintage and went with the FedIV on account of durability. I wanted something that could take the weather and abuse without my worrying about it too much, so I traded the color accuracy for that.
That said, I already feel the itch to get one from Advintage when they come back in stock. Ha ha.

Anyway, highyly recommended, and thanks to all the members here who helped me with info. I’ll try and get some better pics later.

NorthernRaider
Attachments
528A0C59-229D-45FE-A107-CD5D3C4C23B7.jpeg
A8AA6B5D-A209-4BA9-A58C-6147BC217919.jpeg
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

NorthernRaider wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:51 am Hey everyone,
I received my FedIV about a week ago, and the thing is absolutely awesome.
That is a really good looking hat. Great photos as well. The Fed IV has come a long way. They’ve clearly got a very good block for it now. Also, the felt looks really rich in those photos of yours. Is that the standard imperial felt or the deluxe? It’s nice you had such a good experience with the Hattery. I recently ordered and received a ‘Snowy River’ from them and was really pleased with the service and the hat itself. In my experience, there’s nothing quite like an Akubra, and it looks like you snagged yourself an awesome hat. Given that I own both the (very old) Fed IV and an AdVintage Harrison, I have to agree with you that the Fed IV is probably the one to go for if you want it to be able to endure some of the elements. Also, the colour looks good to me, but if you want it a bit lighter, it will fade in time. Going up a size seems wise. I should probably have done the same. Enjoy!
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

If they would only stock my (large) size. :?

...and if only my car didn't decide to siphon all my spendin' money. :x
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Regarding restocking.. you just gotta keep checking. They were out of stock and I refreshed one morning and suddenly my size was available so I bought it right away, then that size was immediately sold out again 😂
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

I think I remember that morning. I saw they had some restocked and got hopeful, but nothing for my big head.
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

I finally invested in a hat block to reblock some of my hats. I decided to start with the Fed IV from 2008. I’m reasonably happy with the end result. I’ve sacrificed a little bit of crown height to improve the overall shape and straightness of the sides. Sewing the sweatband, lining and ribbon back on took a bit more time than expected. I also reversed the hat, so the front and back are now on opposite sides to the original construction, as the front pinch had weakened the felt over the years and I didn’t want to worsen the situation.

Open crown before reblocking

Open crown after reblocking

Bashed after reblocking
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done. :clap: Those before and after pictures are remarkable.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Whoa, that is masterful work right there! Very well done, the hat looks amazing!

You've really given it a new life. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Great work! :TOH:
Can you tell us a little more about the block? Wood? Plastic? Where did you get it? Thanks!
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Howard Weinstein wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:29 pm Great work! :TOH:
Can you tell us a little more about the block? Wood? Plastic? Where did you get it? Thanks!
Yeah, sure thing. It’s a wooden block from the UK based site, ‘Hat Blocks Direct’. The block itself is their HB118, which is actually advertised as a bowler block, but the seller recommended it as a potential closest match to the photos of an open crown AdVintage Harrison I sent over to him. So, I went with that in the end. Here’s the link: https://www.hatblocksdirect.co.uk/produ ... hat-block/.
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

imagine671 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 am
That is a really good looking hat. Great photos as well. The Fed IV has come a long way. They’ve clearly got a very good block for it now. Also, the felt looks really rich in those photos of yours. Is that the standard imperial felt or the deluxe? It’s nice you had such a good experience with the Hattery. I recently ordered and received a ‘Snowy River’ from them and was really pleased with the service and the hat itself. In my experience, there’s nothing quite like an Akubra, and it looks like you snagged yourself an awesome hat. Given that I own both the (very old) Fed IV and an AdVintage Harrison, I have to agree with you that the Fed IV is probably the one to go for if you want it to be able to endure some of the elements. Also, the colour looks good to me, but if you want it a bit lighter, it will fade in time. Going up a size seems wise. I should probably have done the same. Enjoy!
It’s a standard imperial! Very nice hat indeed. Haven’t had an opportunity to really get it out on an adventure yet, hopefully soon :) up next I need to try an advintage, maybe in Doom style!

And your restoration on that hat is nothing short of amazing. Great work.

NR
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

My Fed IV Deluxe, then and now:
Attachments
RV-fed4deluxe_16years.jpg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, niiice! Is it just the different lighting, or is the felt loads lighter now? :-k

Cheers,
Bear
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

bearbeast wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:52 am Wow, niiice! Is it just the different lighting, or is the felt loads lighter now? :-k

Cheers,
Bear
Same type of lighting (natural, from window). The color is much lighter now than it was. I remember when I got it I was a bit disappointed because the hat was so dark, like dark chocolate. Now it looks the way I originally wanted. It has been with me around the world through all sorts of weather, like the beating sun of Egypt for example. It's not just the years but the mileage that gives the reward.:)

Kind regards

CJ
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That is very cool, you have a nice history with the hat!

I was also surprised at how dark the brown is when I got mine. In the dim light of the Customs office where I first laid eyes on it, it looked bluish-black. Was glad when I saw outside it was actually brown. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Finally took my Fed IV on a decent adventure. It's been on quite a few day trips/hikes over the last 10 months, but last week I went on my annual camping trip at Hickory Run State Park in PA and basically wore it the entire week.

Now it's been through plenty of dirt, ash, cobwebs, and rain (not to mention dirty fingertips). When I got home I gave it a good brushing and it's good as new. Believe anyone who tells you that these lids are built to last. :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

So cool, Indiana Jon, looks like a great adventure!

I really like the backpack patches as well. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:30 pm So cool, Indiana Jon, looks like a great adventure!

I really like the backpack patches as well. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks, bud! I got the patches on Etsy. Can't remember the seller. :TOH:
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Western New York Indy »

I just received my Federation IV Deluxe today. It is everything I hoped it would be. It really is an absolutely gorgeous hat and the color comes across a lot better in person than it does in the videos I've seen haha! I'm looking forward to bashing it, hopefully it'll end up as my devoted Last Crusade hat.

-WNY Indy :TOH:
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I finally got some pictures of my new Fed IV Deluxe. It is an absolutely gorgeous hat and I'm thrilled to have a Fed IV in my Indy collection. I went for a Last Crusade style hat, using the hat Indy wears in Donovan's apartment and the Venice Pier hat as my main inspirations. It's proven to be a very comfortable and practical hat.
Fed IV 5.jpg
Fed IV 4.jpg
Fed IV 3.jpg
Fed IV 2.jpg
Fed IV 1.jpg
Hope you all enjoy the photos :TOH:

-WNY Indy
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Looks great, WNY Indy! The felt looks nicer and smoother than the basic Fed IV. Love the bash!

Cheers,
Bear
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Beautiful! Your pictures really make me miss my old Fed IV. The Fed looks great with a LC bash!
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Hey everyone!
An update on my FedIV. I’ve had it about 4 months now, I think. I’m really digging how the shape is developing as I’ve broke it in and worked it a bit. It took a long time before I could bring myself to mess with it at all.
Ive heard a lot of people say you don’t rush things with a hat, and I’m finding that really true.

I went for the shaping service, and the hattery did a great job, but it needed some adjusting. I’ve done shaping work all over, to improve the swoop in the brim, and to make the side dents more accurate. I’ve also started to add a little of the Cairo side bulge. Playing with these things really is part of the fun.

If anyone is considering one of these, I’d say again that I highly recommend them, and the Hattery staff. After having the thing for a while I started to feel like it would be best suited as an LC hat, which I still think is true, but I’m getting some good Raiders vibes out of it.
Anyway, some pics!

NorthernRaider
Attachments
IMG_1632.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg
IMG_1638.jpeg
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1635.jpeg
IMG_1636.jpeg
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Western New York Indy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:30 pm I finally got some pictures of my new Fed IV Deluxe. It is an absolutely gorgeous hat and I'm thrilled to have a Fed IV in my Indy collection. I went for a Last Crusade style hat, using the hat Indy wears in Donovan's apartment and the Venice Pier hat as my main inspirations. It's proven to be a very comfortable and practical hat. Fed IV 5.jpgFed IV 4.jpgFed IV 3.jpgFed IV 2.jpgFed IV 1.jpg

-WNY Indy
Dude! Amazing job on that bash. That hat looks fantastic! Makes me want to get another FedIV open crown to bash myself.
Thanks for sharing!

NR
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

NorthernRaider wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:14 am Hey everyone!
An update on my FedIV. I’ve had it about 4 months now, I think. I’m really digging how the shape is developing as I’ve broke it in and worked it a bit. It took a long time before I could bring myself to mess with it at all.
Ive heard a lot of people say you don’t rush things with a hat, and I’m finding that really true.

I went for the shaping service, and the hattery did a great job, but it needed some adjusting. I’ve done shaping work all over, to improve the swoop in the brim, and to make the side dents more accurate. I’ve also started to add a little of the Cairo side bulge. Playing with these things really is part of the fun.

If anyone is considering one of these, I’d say again that I highly recommend them, and the Hattery staff. After having the thing for a while I started to feel like it would be best suited as an LC hat, which I still think is true, but I’m getting some good Raiders vibes out of it.
Anyway, some pics!

NorthernRaider
Wow, that's a beautiful hat! It's so much fun to watch a hat develop its own character over time. I think you've done a great job tweaking it and really nailed the overall Raiders aesthetic. It really looks great!!

-WNY Indy
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

bearbeast wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:46 am Looks great, WNY Indy! The felt looks nicer and smoother than the basic Fed IV. Love the bash!

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks! The felt is quite smooth and has a really nice finish. I've not had a regular Fed IV, so I can't compare it well, but from what the team at the Hattery told me, the Deluxe has a smoother finish and a more comfortable sweatband. I did my best with the bash and have re-tweaked it a number of times. Now I just have to let it age and see what the hat does with the shape I gave it. Thanks very much for the kind words!!

-WNY Indy
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Tremolo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:42 am Beautiful! Your pictures really make me miss my old Fed IV. The Fed looks great with a LC bash!
Thank you!! May I ask what hat you are wearing in your profile picture? Perhaps an AdVintage? Whatever it is it looks amazing!!
I really love the LC bash, especially early on in the movie. Now I just need to get some LC gear to go with it... It truly is a never ending rabbit trail.
Thanks for the kind words!

-WNY Indy
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

NorthernRaider wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:26 am
Western New York Indy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:30 pm I finally got some pictures of my new Fed IV Deluxe. It is an absolutely gorgeous hat and I'm thrilled to have a Fed IV in my Indy collection. I went for a Last Crusade style hat, using the hat Indy wears in Donovan's apartment and the Venice Pier hat as my main inspirations. It's proven to be a very comfortable and practical hat. Fed IV 5.jpgFed IV 4.jpgFed IV 3.jpgFed IV 2.jpgFed IV 1.jpg

-WNY Indy
Dude! Amazing job on that bash. That hat looks fantastic! Makes me want to get another FedIV open crown to bash myself.
Thanks for sharing!

NR
Thank you!! I really enjoyed shaping this hat. I couldn't have done it without the Herbert Johnson Youtube Channel. Michelle's videos on hat shaping were really helpful.

Thanks so much for the kind words!! :TOH:

-WNY Indy
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Western New York Indy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:45 am Thank you!! May I ask what hat you are wearing in your profile picture? Perhaps an AdVintage? Whatever it is it looks amazing!!
I really love the LC bash, especially early on in the movie. Now I just need to get some LC gear to go with it... It truly is a never ending rabbit trail.
Thanks for the kind words!

-WNY Indy
Thanks WNY! That is an old Adventurebilt the Henry that I got aroung 2010 or 2011 if remember that correctly. Somehow became my go to ToD hat because the brim has developed that specific kind of swoop and drop.
Collecting the LC gear set is a lot of fun, if I had to choose then I would probably say it is my overall favorite. But you´re right, it is never ending :lol:
Western New York Indy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks WNY! That is an old Adventurebilt the Henry that I got aroung 2010 or 2011 if remember that correctly. Somehow became my go to ToD hat because the brim has developed that specific kind of swoop and drop.
Collecting the LC gear set is a lot of fun, if I had to choose then I would probably say it is my overall favorite. But you´re right, it is never ending :lol:
Ah, that makes sense. It looks awesome!! I wish the ToD style hat got more love in the Indy community as a whole. I personally really like it. It has some really cool quirks and nuances that make it unique and iconic in its own way.

There's something about the LC look that I really enjoy (especially with the tie... I don't know why, but I find it a really fun ad-on haha) Hopefully my new Fed IV will help jump start collecting some LC stuff.