Magnoli White Label Issues Upon Receiving

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Magnoli White Label Issues Upon Receiving

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Hello everyone, so for you folks that followed my thread about Wested LC versus Magnoli LC I now have in my possession both of these offerings. So the Wested jacket is great in fit and quality, the Magnoli not so much.

My issues with the Magnoli jacket can be seen in the photos attached through the linkhttps://m.imgur.com/a/OjlAIzu. There are several stitching flaws where the person went off track and didn’t bother to fix it. Beneath one side of the collar the panels aren’t aligned or fully stitched together. It is also missing the snaps on the storm flap which should be present on a LC style offering. I have also discovered a few knicks in the leather one of which will most likely result in a whole and is near the stitching where the sleeve meet the body. These seem to me to be mostly quality control issues. It should also be noted that when I ordered it there was an expected 4 month wait time instead it took nearly 7. That’s not a big deal considering it’s hand made.

Now I should say the fit of the jacket is great. I really like how heavy the leather is however, I’m afraid some of these issues will effect the overall structure of the jacket. I have contacted Joachim who I have exchanged emails with before but have not heard anything back.
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Magnoli White Label Issues Upon Receiving

Post by IJJTM »

The under color looks almost grey, but then again I can say that about my Wested Raider.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

IJJTM wrote:The under color looks almost grey, but then again I can say that about my Wested Raider.
The color is grey which if I’m being picky isn’t like the pictures on the website or really what I’ve seen from other peoples post.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I thik your wested is a keeper, let's put it that way.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

xmasters wrote:I thik your wested is a keeper, let's put it that way.
I agree entirely.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Magnoli hangs around here so hopefully they will see this and something will be done. Seems rather uncharacteristic of them to not fix it.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

This was similar to my experience ordering a Magnoli Raider's WL as well. It came with a number of production defects and quality issues that in the short term detracted from the appearance of the jacket, and in the long term made it unlikely that the jacket would hold up to regular wear. Sadly, Joachim/Magnoli Clothiers is not very accommodating when it comes to returns, and instead prefer to remake things. I hope that process doesn't leave you waiting another seven months for a new jacket, and that your remake doesn't come with more production issues (...as mine did :roll: ). Good luck! Glad you can enjoy your Wested in the meantime!
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

mr_alex wrote:This was similar to my experience ordering a Magnoli Raider's WL as well. It came with a number of production defects and quality issues that in the short term detracted from the appearance of the jacket, and in the long term made it unlikely that the jacket would hold up to regular wear. Sadly, Joachim/Magnoli Clothiers is not very accommodating when it comes to returns, and instead prefer to remake things. I hope that process doesn't leave you waiting another seven months for a new jacket, and that your remake doesn't come with more production issues (...as mine did :roll: ). Good luck! Glad you can enjoy your Wested in the meantime!
I remember reading your post about the issues you had. It’s been two days and no one has responded to my email yet so hopefully Magnoli will see this thread.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Pyramid Jones wrote:I remember reading your post about the issues you had. It’s been two days and no one has responded to my email yet so hopefully Magnoli will see this thread.
In my experience with Joachim, he always responded to my emails eventually. It would sometimes day a few days or a week, so I definitely encourage you to keep following up, but even if Magnoli doesn't find this thread you will hear back. I hope this thread expedites the process for you, though!
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Don't worry... we'll get this fixed up for you. Joachim has had a couple of days off, so his response is delayed due to this. He'll be catching up with things tomorrow. :TOH:
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Don't worry... we'll get this fixed up for you. Joachim has had a couple of days off, so his response is delayed due to this. He'll be catching up with things tomorrow. :TOH:
I appreciate the reply and Joachim did get in touch with me today so hopefully, we can come to a solution. I really do like the fit of the jacket it's just a shame the quality control wasn't better.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

The undertones of my jacket weren't grey, but I did notice a very minor nick in the leather too. I've owned two Magnoli jackets and between the two, one was more tailored in the waist than the other (despite the measurements regarding the waist being exactly the same).

For me, they're not deal-breakers since it gives the jacket character and I would consider Magnoli again hands-down for future purchases. Hope everything works out, which I'm sure it will, as Magnoli is a true gentleman.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Captain D wrote:The undertones of my jacket weren't grey, but I did notice a very minor nick in the leather too. I've owned two Magnoli jackets and between the two, one was more tailored in the waist than the other (despite the measurements regarding the waist being exactly the same).

For me, they're not deal-breakers since it gives the jacket character and I would consider Magnoli again hands-down for future purchases. Hope everything works out, which I'm sure it will, as Magnoli is a true gentleman.
A nick or two wouldn’t bother me in the slightest cause like you said it adds character. The issue I have is strictly from a structural standpoint. I don’t even mind the undertone that much, I could always dye it. I’m shooting for a refund and I’d just send this back. I think the route to go is Steele and Jones. They stand by their product and provide some of the best from what I’ve seen. I’m not open to a remake on this because there’s no guarantee the next won’t have issues to.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hmm, I've never had any structural concerns (stitching, etc.) on any of my Magnoli jackets - everything is nice & tight. Heck, personally, I prefer it to USWings and a few Westeds' that I've owned. But, of course, to each his/her own.

Looking forward to seeing your new jacket once you get it regardless of make, :) .

Best wishes!
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Captain D wrote:Hmm, I've never had any structural concerns (stitching, etc.) on any of my Magnoli jackets - everything is nice & tight. Heck, personally, I prefer it to USWings and a few Westeds' that I've owned. But, of course, to each his/her own.

Looking forward to seeing your new jacket once you get it regardless of make, :) .

Best wishes!
Thanks Captain. Yeah the structural issue is one of the knicks is actually a small hole I noticed and the stitching came of track where in places it’s not holding the panels together.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I have a remake coming, too. The fit and leather are great, but this was the second white label LC jacket with the snaps exposed on the top of the pocket flaps. I understand with the first jacket, since mine was the prototype white label LC. I’m hoping third time’s the charm, and Magnoli has been great to work with on rectifying this. I will keep you posted on what happens with the remake jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Dr. Nebraska S. wrote:I have a remake coming, too. The fit and leather are great, but this was the second white label LC jacket with the snaps exposed on the top of the pocket flaps. I understand with the first jacket, since mine was the prototype white label LC. I’m hoping third time’s the charm, and Magnoli has been great to work with on rectifying this. I will keep you posted on what happens with the remake jacket.

It sounds like you’ve had better luck reaching a solution than I have. As I said earlier in the thread I’m not looking for a remake. I want a full refund and I’ll send this thing back but I’d even be happy with a partial refund and I’ll take it to a leather shop for repairs. They don’t seem to like my solution though.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

I'm surprised they aren't open to paying for repairs. When my Magnoli Adventure Boots arrived with production defects, they reimbursed me for the trip to the shoe repair shop. I understand that a jacket is a different beast, and even finding someone willing to do the repairs could be a challenge, but still... In any case, best of luck & keep us posted!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Pyramid Jones wrote:
Dr. Nebraska S. wrote:I have a remake coming, too. The fit and leather are great, but this was the second white label LC jacket with the snaps exposed on the top of the pocket flaps. I understand with the first jacket, since mine was the prototype white label LC. I’m hoping third time’s the charm, and Magnoli has been great to work with on rectifying this. I will keep you posted on what happens with the remake jacket.

It sounds like you’ve had better luck reaching a solution than I have. As I said earlier in the thread I’m not looking for a remake. I want a full refund and I’ll send this thing back but I’d even be happy with a partial refund and I’ll take it to a leather shop for repairs. They don’t seem to like my solution though.
Just as a follow-up: I have photos of my remake over here: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 89#p942089 Didn't want to post the actual photos over here and create a tangent. Hope all is working out for your. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :Plymouth:
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Nice! I did end up getting a partial refund and kept the jacket, which is now literally falling apart.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve begun thinking about getting one of these white label jackets, so I started combing through old threads to see what people were saying. Has anybody gotten one of these white label jackets over the last couple of years and if so, what were your experiences? I’m tired of disappointments coming out of the bag on delivery day, especially with custom orders and I’m a stickler for craftsmanship. The thought of shoddy stitching without any possibility of complete refund with return would have me steaming.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I really want to say I love this jacket, I just don't love it as an "Indiana Jones" jacket. I'd say it's about 3 years old. It's more functional, I suppose. It's certainly the heaviest jacket I own. Even heavier than a knee-length thick wool overcoat I wear sometimes in the winter. It fits right because of the litany of measurements asked for. It's tough as nails. The construction seems very good. I like that it has the right zipper. You can only get that with Wested by ordering the Legacy version. The distressing that came with it was very crummy. I had to go to town on it myself with some sandpaper to blend it in and not make it such a stark contrast. Before it appeared to have been painted in straight lines with some kind of acetone or paint stripper. If you're looking for a jacket to wear everyday with an Indy feel, then this would be it. If you're looking looking for some kind of screen-accurate costume piece, then this is not it.

Idk why it's not letting me post a pic... :|

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/fJ36Lbv5V9
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Do you have just the regular White Label jacket? It's heavy? I thought it was supposed to be a light-weight cowhide. Thank you for the info. Your jacket does look good in the picture, though, but it does have the look of a thicker jacket.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Regular Magnoli White Label. Version A. It's heavy cowhide, if you ask me...