Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

tmfg10
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Jacket Pre-Distressed Hide vs Goat

Post by tmfg10 »

Hello Fellow Indy fans!
I am planning on buying a Wested jacket at some point of the year. but my biggest worry is the which leather type. I am between Brown Goat or Pre-Distressed Hide.
I LOVE the color and character of the Pre-Distressed hide. but I have heard that cowhide is much heavier, thicker and harder than goat? The goat I have heard is lighter and breaks in easier. but the color tends to look more super dark brown/black. and I think i prefer the pre-distresesed color more?
What are your opinion and experiences with these leathers on your jackets? I am looking for something durable, and that can handle different weather types. and also that can be worn on more warmer times and not cook myself haha.
It would be my first leather jacket so i am sorry for the beginner questions. I am not sure what to look for.

Thank you!
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Wested Jacket Pre-Distressed Hide vs Goat

Post by donovan »

I have both Wested goat and pre-distressed in the ‘raiders’ pattern - both great jackets. The pre-distressed is a heavier hide ,ideal for colder weather - it shows up any scuffs and marks you get when wearing it ,so looks aged and well worn much sooner. The goat skin is tough ,more resistant to distressing ,but is lighter to wear and still drapes well.Also the goat will keep you dryer in the rain as the pre-distressed soaks up water more (unless you treat it with something). I personally tend to wear the goatskin more as it’s a more all-round,comfortable jacket. Hope this helps :TOH:
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

Wested's predistressed hide is a cowhide (unless you get the predistressed lamb option) and is pretty thick & heavy. It is a good cold-weather jacket, but will not drape the same way as the jackets in the films. There will also be a break-in period for the leather as it's pretty thick and stiff out of the bag. This break-in period can be uncomfortable if you get a slim fit and make it feel like the jacket is restricting your movement. That said, the cowhide jackets are extremely durable and a good option for real-life adventures like camping or hiking in cool weather.

Goat will be soft and drape on you like the films straight out of the bag - but be warned that goat will never get the patina or scuffed up look that Indy jackets are known for. It will wrinkle and get character that way, but the color and surface will show very little wear. It can work for Raiders jackets since that jacket is the least distressed out of the films. This trait sometimes surprises/disappoints new jacket owners who do not realize what is meant when people describe goat as a tough skin.

Good luck in your jacket quest! :TOH:
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

So after much deliberation and consternation about what jacket to order (looked at S&J, USW, Todds, Magnoli, WPG, and a variety of Wested styles), I went with a Wested Raiders (Standard OTR) in Brown Goatskin. I wanted one fairly quickly, a tough skin, and I took all the advice on here and went standard vs. custom due to horror stories. I'd say the jacket is very well made, it's soft and pliable, and the OTR sizing suits me (though 1/4" shorter on back length than what is advertised in the size tables).

Here's the thing--it has a definite grayish gunmetal color/tint to it. It certainly does NOT look like the swatch for "Brown Goatskin" on their website, which is clearly dark brown. I emailed photos to Wested to inquire if this was normal, and indeed, they replied that it is. They said I could return it if I didn't like it (as long as unworn, which it is). They also noted that they will have new goatskin vendor soon...presumably a real dark brown (of course no offer to cover shipping or any concern that what they advertised is not what they sold ](*,) ).

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Keep it or return it? The jacket fits well and is comfortable. But I really don't like the color. I have never dyed anything and doing that to a new jacket seems risky, especially on a chrome tanned skin, which I think this is. Could I alter the appearance with just a water treatment and layer of conditioner like Obernauf's Leather Oil? Or will I just get another tone of gunmetal? Also, I'm factoring in that if I have to return it, I'm paying again for shipping and out at least $40-50 to ship to the UK. Not to mention that I still don't have a jacket.

Would appreciate any advice from the gurus, especially if someone has owned this particular batch of "gunmetal grey/brown" goatskin.
Thanks & Cheers,
ijq8
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

If they're using the same goat they were using in 2015, then you could try what I did. With just rubbing alcohol, the finish started coming off really easy. I mean, real easy. The first bit to come off was that dark color. Right underneath, it's a lighter brown. I would say it's reminiscent of the color you see in Raiders, during the Hawaii scenes. I did this to the whole jacket and then went down a little more in areas where I wanted to show some distressing and antiquing. It worked great. Now, that is still the finish I'm talking about. So, the finish seems to be multi-layered. If you keep going, you get down closer to the undertone, which was like a brass-tinted brown. I then buffed it with a soft T-shirt and the shine appeared on the surface, matching the shine of the finish itself. It looks like an antiqued patina.

So, with just a little rubbing, that dark, grayish-brown went away. Try it on the underside of one of the pocket flaps. It looks good. The goat is really nice. I was so surprised when I first got it, because it was way better than their older stock.

The only thing you'd be dying right now is the finish that is applied to the surface. It's practically water-proof. That is not the leather. I just tried putting some SAPHIR all-purpose leather balm on it the other day and all it did was sit there on the surface. And that was with some of the finish rubbed off.
NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

I really like the look of the predistressed hide, but it’s too light in color for an accurate Raiders or Temple look..has anyone ever tried darkening it with Pecards brown or leather dye?

NorthernRaider
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

Prodigal Son wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm If they're using the same goat they were using in 2015, then you could try what I did. With just rubbing alcohol, the finish started coming off really easy. I mean, real easy. The first bit to come off was that dark color. Right underneath, it's a lighter brown.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s the same goat you are describing. This one is not dark. When I put it in front of other brown jackets, it looks lighter but with a gray gunmetal tone.
Still would love to hear if anyone has this skin and your experience with it.
Cheers,
Ijq8
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

ijq8 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 am
Prodigal Son wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm If they're using the same goat they were using in 2015, then you could try what I did. With just rubbing alcohol, the finish started coming off really easy. I mean, real easy. The first bit to come off was that dark color. Right underneath, it's a lighter brown.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s the same goat you are describing. This one is not dark. When I put it in front of other brown jackets, it looks lighter but with a gray gunmetal tone.
Cheers,
Ijq8
....that doesn't sound good. I'm sorry to hear that.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

Prodigal Son wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:57 am
Cheers,
Ijq8
....that doesn't sound good. I'm sorry to hear that. You can contact the local town council, where Wested is located. I do know that if a UK-based company is mis-advertising/falsely representing their product, and if you don't get a refund for the product, then you can take it to their local town council. I'm not sure if the price of shipping would be included in your refund, but you could ask the local town council. Also. see about sending the email Wested sent you to their local town council.
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

Prodigal Son wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 am
Prodigal Son wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:57 am
Cheers,
Ijq8
....that doesn't sound good. I'm sorry to hear that. You can contact the local town council, where Wested is located. I do know that if a UK-based company is mis-advertising/falsely representing their product, and if you don't get a refund for the product, then you can take it to their local town council. I'm not sure if the price of shipping would be included in your refund, but you could ask the local town council. Also. see about sending the email Wested sent you to their local town council.
Thanks. I'm going to return it. It's a pity though. I really WANT to like it, but just can't. I also found this post which helped me come to the decision:

http://indygear.net/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... 7f1616[url]

fifthchamber seems to know what he's talking about and there's no getting a better color out. I do wish I'd seen this post earlier #-o
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

Hi!

I had been on a mission to buy a Wested goat Indy jacket for some time. A few months ago I bought a size 44 goat. It was nice, durable, with some slight gray coloring. I knew to expect some gray so I didn't mind. About 2 months later I realized that I should size down to a 42. I ordered another Wested goat, same dimensions and measurements. When my new (or newest) Wested goat arrived a few days ago I was blown away.

First, the goat was a nice dark brown with with almost an antique sheen (but not distressed) that one occasionally sees on the US Wings jackets. Its pebbling surface/texture was less pronounced - it didn't scream GOAT!. It felt more substantial and less "stretchy". In fact, the material had such a nice brown and more luxurious feel that I wondered if Wested had mistakenly sent me a cowhide of some kind. Nope, its goat.

I was so impressed that I emailed Wested and asked them if they had switched tanners or leathers and they indicated that they had in fact switched up providers. Anyway, I am thrilled with this jacket and now may be the best time to order a goat from Wested. Seriously, the difference in leather between my 42 and the 44 I received a few months ago is like night and day.
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

First, I’m glad you got the jacket you wanted and pleased with the color. Truly.

That said, it seems just another example of how inconsistent Wested is these days. On 2 April 2024, just prior to ordering an OTR Standard Raiders in goat, I asked this question in an email: “Do you have dark brown colored goatskin in stock, and is there a place in the ordering process that I can indicate I would like the skin to be as dark brown as possible?” This was the reply I received the same day: “The goatskin is made for us and so is always the same color brown.” I certainly did not get the skin you are describing nor did Wested even hint at the possibility of another option. I mean, really? I ordered it on 6 April. Our orders were probably only a week or two apart. I spent about $40 in shipping and return shipping, let alone the hassle. How can this company be so schizophrenic?

I really wanted a goatskin but don’t want to go through that experience again. So I ordered a Todd’s Raiders instead. It’s already on the way, and I’m hoping it meets expectations!