Inquiries about raiders hero sizing

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Inquiries about raiders hero sizing

Post by Barry Gibb »

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about ordering a wested raiders hero in a few weeks when I get my next pay check. It will be my first Indy jacket, I'm trying to buy the one jacket to rule them all. I want it to last a long long time which is why I've chosen to get it in the dark brown novapelle. Before I order I want to be sure about the size, for now I've only measured myself but before I pull the trigger I'll try to get someone to measure me so I can be really sure about the measurements. I measured myself to be
Chest 36, Back 23 and sleeve 23,5.
I'm 5,7 pretty average build leaning towards the skinny side. Do these measurements look normal for you people who have experience with raiders hero?
Cheers in advance :)

Lähetetty minun LE2123 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: Inquiries about raiders hero sizing

Post by Indiana Croft »

Welcome to COW and you may just want the one jacket, then the shirt, oh and why not a Fedora.
That whip looks nice.......... :BD:

Maybe this will help, maybe not.
Take a jacket that fits and put those measurement to the A thru H.
I deal mostly with S&J for my jackets, more coin, but you can't go wrong if your looking for a jacket that'll last you, or at least your first Indy jacket in a long line of jackets to come.
And for a small fee, they'll do a mock up to see how it fits and tweak from there.

Good luck and can't wait to see the end result.

Croft :mrgreen:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Thanks for posting Indiana Croft.. this should be pinned. I would add :
  • underarm to hem ( high armholes make a better fit.)
    • Sleeve width at elbow, at cuff
      • shoulders straight across back seam to seam
        • width of back panel at hem
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Welcome aboard. Yes, ordering that "one jacket to rule them all" can be nerve wracking.

I'll echo what Croft said about Steele and Jones. I understand it's more expensive and will likely take longer, but the attention to detail and customer service is beyond.

Wested makes really great jackets (my first Indy jacket is a Wested circa 2000 that I still wear on a regular basis) and they have made jackets that members have been disappointed in, especially in the custom arena. Go down the rabbit hole here of the Wested jacket reviews and you'll find instances where a custom measurement differed by up to an inch. When contacted, Wested's response was "that's within our margin of tolerance/error." That inch can make or break the sizing of a jacket if you have a specific fit in mind.

Sounds like your build provides a pretty OTR success for fit. That definitely plays in your favor. If you have a tailor in your area, I recommend getting professionally measured. Even if it costs a bit, a tailor is going to know exactly where to place the tape measure to get the correct measurements.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Welcome aboard. Yes, ordering that "one jacket to rule them all" can be nerve wracking.

I'll echo what Croft said about Steele and Jones. I understand it's more expensive and will likely take longer, but the attention to detail and customer service is beyond.

Wested makes really great jackets (my first Indy jacket is a Wested circa 2000 that I still wear on a regular basis) and they have made jackets that members have been disappointed in, especially in the custom arena. Go down the rabbit hole here of the Wested jacket reviews and you'll find instances where a custom measurement differed by up to an inch. When contacted, Wested's response was "that's within our margin of tolerance/error." That inch can make or break the sizing of a jacket if you have a specific fit in mind.

Sounds like your build provides a pretty OTR success for fit. That definitely plays in your favor. If you have a tailor in your area, I recommend getting professionally measured. Even if it costs a bit, a tailor is going to know exactly where to place the tape measure to get the correct measurements.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
What type of body fits the hero the best, but you say I might be better built for a standard?
I would still have to get a custom because I want a more sturdy leather and I don't really like the Look of the pre-distressed leather. Might get dark brown novapelle.

Ps. I did reach out to S&J but there's a really long wait and pretty expensive. So I think I'll try to get the best wested I can get

Lähetetty minun LE2123 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

My advice; Don't overthink it. I won't scare you off with my Wested story. The short version is that I lost my mind striving for accuracy and ended up burning $300 on a jacket that fit like a crop top. This forum is an incredible resource and we are lucky to have it, but if you try to base your sizing on everyone else's sizing experience here, it's only going to confuse you. Just follow Croft's advice and use that template on a jacket that already fits you well.

There are days that I wish I had gone with S&J, but the truth is that I've grown quite fond of my (second) Wested jacket since I got it (January 2023). They may have slipped a bit over the years, but the name still holds a certain pedigree and I'm glad I own it. (That being said, I'm already gearing up to place an order with S&J at my earliest opportunity. :lol: Don't ignore anyone who tells you this is an addiction.)

Please take this with a grain of salt, but if you were to press me for more suggestions I would say go up a size in the chest. I'm a slender guy too and my first jacket (the crop top) was true to my chest size but the cut made it tight in the chest. I ordered my second one a chest size up and it's perfect. It looks just like Indy's does when zipped up in the Raven Bar. Again, this is just my experience so don't overthink it, but be prepared for the very strange cut that is the Hero. It will not fit you like a normal jacket does, but that doesn't mean you should try to "predict" their cut and make adjustments to your measurements in an attempt to account for the unusual cut. That was my mistake. If you base your measurements on a normal jacket they will understand what you're going for and take it from there. I hope that helps.

Good luck and welcome! Keep us posted! :whip:
Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

I finally ordered and received a non hero custom in dark brown novapelle (took a while ) and it's awesome! I nailed the sizing, if I may say so myself (Thank god)
Thanks for the help and especially the measurement image (it needs to be spread more)

Low low-key looking to get an LC steele and jones
Maybe next year tho

Lähetetty minun SM-S916B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Glad the Wested worked out for you. Always a challenge ordering clothing online.

If you do go with S&J they have an option that they’ll send you a mocked up jacket you can try on to fine tune the sizing. Well worth the extra cost.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Darthbauer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Darthbauer »

Indiana Jon wrote:My advice; Don't overthink it. I won't scare you off with my Wested story. The short version is that I lost my mind striving for accuracy and ended up burning $300 on a jacket that fit like a crop top. This forum is an incredible resource and we are lucky to have it, but if you try to base your sizing on everyone else's sizing experience here, it's only going to confuse you. Just follow Croft's advice and use that template on a jacket that already fits you well.

There are days that I wish I had gone with S&J, but the truth is that I've grown quite fond of my (second) Wested jacket since I got it (January 2023). They may have slipped a bit over the years, but the name still holds a certain pedigree and I'm glad I own it. (That being said, I'm already gearing up to place an order with S&J at my earliest opportunity. :lol: Don't ignore anyone who tells you this is an addiction.)

Please take this with a grain of salt, but if you were to press me for more suggestions I would say go up a size in the chest. I'm a slender guy too and my first jacket (the crop top) was true to my chest size but the cut made it tight in the chest. I ordered my second one a chest size up and it's perfect. It looks just like Indy's does when zipped up in the Raven Bar. Again, this is just my experience so don't overthink it, but be prepared for the very strange cut that is the Hero. It will not fit you like a normal jacket does, but that doesn't mean you should try to "predict" their cut and make adjustments to your measurements in an attempt to account for the unusual cut. That was my mistake. If you base your measurements on a normal jacket they will understand what you're going for and take it from there. I hope that helps.

I just got my first jacket and unfortunately I had the exact problem you did and ended up with a $300 leather crop top. I’m apparently a tall freak and need a back length of 29 and my first jacket is like a 24 Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

Darthbauer wrote:
Indiana Jon wrote:My advice; Don't overthink it. I won't scare you off with my Wested story. The short version is that I lost my mind striving for accuracy and ended up burning $300 on a jacket that fit like a crop top. This forum is an incredible resource and we are lucky to have it, but if you try to base your sizing on everyone else's sizing experience here, it's only going to confuse you. Just follow Croft's advice and use that template on a jacket that already fits you well.

There are days that I wish I had gone with S&J, but the truth is that I've grown quite fond of my (second) Wested jacket since I got it (January 2023). They may have slipped a bit over the years, but the name still holds a certain pedigree and I'm glad I own it. (That being said, I'm already gearing up to place an order with S&J at my earliest opportunity. Image Don't ignore anyone who tells you this is an addiction.)

I just got my first jacket and unfortunately I had the exact problem you did and ended up with a $300 leather crop top. I’m apparently a tall freak and need a back length of 29 and my first jacket is like a 24 Image

I ended up going back length of 26, and it's just right (I'm 5'7)

NorthernRaider
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NorthernRaider »

Hey,
Fretting over the measurements seems to be part of the process lol
I don’t think anyone can really say if a measurement sounds right, as everyone is built differently.
I recently ordered a Raiders Legacy Hero from Wested and here’s what I can tell you-

I followed the direction “measure to where you want the sleeves/back to end” and my jacket is a perfect fit in those regards. Meaning, If you want the jacket to back to end just below your belt, measure from nape of neck to just below your belt. I did compare my ideal measurements to other leather jackets I have.

I sized up slightly- my chest measures 38”, I went with a 40” chest so I could layer. I felt this was the right choice for me. Having the jacket in hand, I think if I’d ordered 38” it would have been too tight with anything more than a button up shirt underneath. If you’re planning on using it as an everyday jacket, and not just for cosplay you may want to consider sizing up with the hero pattern. I understand from reading here that this may not be the case for non-hero patterns.

The Hero fit is weird. My jacket is sized perfectly for me, but it sits and hangs a little weird. It’s hard to describe. I was in love with the idea of the hero pattern, and the details, and I do love the jacket, but if I had it to do all over again I think I would have ordered a non hero pattern, or the Destiny jacket for a more practical fit.

I echo the comments about this thing being addictive. I also intended to buy a “one and only forever” jacket, and I’ve already put down money for an S&J and I’m considering a Destiny from Wested lol it’s a problem.

Also, if you’re planning on doing the water treatment. The jacket will shrink some. You could always add a half inch to be safe and account for shortening.
If you have any other specific questions Id be happy to answer.

All in all, it’s a process. Try and have fun with it!

NorthernRaider
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Darthbauer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

:lol: Yup. At first I was pretty steamed that Wested A) Didn't question the measurements and B) Refused to offer any kind of discount on the replacement. But I was really just angry at myself. Their policy is pretty clear, so ... live and learn.

My buddy, who is a little shorter than me, ended up buying it from me at a friendly discount. Once he gets the sleeves altered at a leather tailor he'll have himself an Indy jacket. So it wasn't a total loss, thankfully.
Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

Hey guys, wanted to share a couple of photos of my dark brown novapelle raiders. Ignore the mess, I'm at my parents place (big family)ImageImageImage

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nice fit, the leather novapelle, while not my choice, as I always thought it wasn't a real leather.
So, question. What is novapelle leather and what make's it different from lamb.

Your pictures make the leather almost looking distressed.
Nice looking and it really does fit you well.

Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

They put it under regular cow hide category in a blog about their leathers, so I have to assume it's a really soft cow (I wanted a cow, possibly a horse in dark brown so it seemed like a no brainer)
https://wested.com/pages/leather-guide
I've done zero distressing and I'm not planning to, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it ages in the coming years, I will condition the leather as need be but im not going to baby it Image

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks. :TOH:

Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

That is a beautiful jacket, and why doesn't it look anything like the custom hero I bought around 10 years ago? Again, beautiful jacket. I'm actually jealous.
Barry Gibb
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry Gibb »

I ended up going with the standard cut instead of the hero