1984 Stetson

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyShane
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

1984 Stetson

Post by IndyShane »

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to grab a 1984 Stetson Temple in it's original box, my size, locally for about $40. My question is, is that a good deal? Are the hats more a collectors item than something you'd wear a lot? It appears to be in pristine condition. I'm more of a hat wearer than a collector, lol. Any help would be great, thanks!

Shane
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1984 Stetson

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My understanding is that era of hats are not of great quality, particularly in the rain. That price for the condition you describe would be a great collectible. If you’re looking for a hat to put into your usual wearing rotation I don’t think it will hold up.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Slight update/correction, according to this thread, there were different Stetson's being sold in the mid-late 80s of vastly differing quality. You just may have one of the good ones at your fingertips.

viewtopic.php?p=928897&hilit=stetson+rain#p928897

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Depends. If it’s one of the Stetsons LFL originally had produced in Europe to sell in theaters, then run, don’t walk, and grab that hat. I have one. 100% beaver and VERY well made. I still wouldn’t wear it as it’s more a collectible.

If one of the regular production run Stetsons from 1984, I’ve seen mint condition for $25-30 on average .

As Jeff posted above, that post tells the history.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyShane
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyShane »

Thanks gentlemen for the info! I'll pop over to it and perhaps take a few photos and share them.

Shane
IndyShane
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyShane »

Alas! It was all for not. Waited too long and someone else has snagged it. From what I recall this is what the lining looked like:
Attachments
IMG_4775.jpg