Wested Last Crusade in Distressed leather

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Sarubrad
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Last Crusade in Distressed leather

Post by Sarubrad »

Greetings all, I am new to the world of Indiana Jones jackets and had a few questions. I recently purchased the basic Cusade/crystal skull jacket in the distressed leather from Wested about 2 weeks ago and was wondering about a few things.

First (apologies of this has already been covered elsewhere) if anyone has this particular jacket if they would post pics or offer any comments or criticism about the item in question as far as an everyday beater jacket. Basically overall quality of the jacket and materials.

Secondly assuming that this was an “off the rack” item and not the tailor made version is it common for there to be such a lag between ordering and still no confirmation of it being shipped?

Just curious, thanks in advance for any information!!!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Wested Last Crusade in Distressed leather

Post by bearbeast »

Welcome to a gripping obsession! I mean hobby!!! :rolling:

I think the custom stuff takes a while to make. There are times they finish faster, but I think they say when ordering that it can take up to a month to finish.

Off the rack versions are normally shipped fast, but the last time I ordered was before DoD came out. With the new movie out there might be a delay due to the amount of orders.

As for the Wested stuff being good for general use: definitely! I wear Wested jackets all year round (though if you read my review you will see I do not like the shrunken lamb version) almost exclusively. I only switch to something more practical when running, biking, hiking. Or when it gets very cold I go with a wool coat.

Cheers,
Bear
Sarubrad
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sarubrad »

Thanks Bear for the info!

I was just curious about all this stuff. I’m not to concerned with artificial weathering to make it “screen accurate “ or anything like that. I planned on just letting the jacket take its course to weathering naturally. Making it my jacket haha basically haha.

That’s why I was looking for details on overall quality. I too am not a fan of the lambskin in everyday jackets as my experiences elsewhere have been not too pleasant. They are much better for dressier fairs. Cowhide, goat or especially classic horsehide for beater jackets all the way.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

The horsehide is a tank of a hide. My first jacket was horsehide and unless you look closely at some edges, it looks brand new.

Goatskin is really nice, for sure, and much lighter, I have such a raiders jacket and really love it. And lambskin is very light, works well in warmer weather. Only shrunken lamb is very fragile. At least my experience with it was not great.

If you are curios, you can also see my pics:

viewtopic.php?t=73427

PS: I am also a fan of letting my gear distress naturally. But it does take a lifetime. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
Sarubrad
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sarubrad »

I agree with you about horsehide being a tank! I’ve got my grandfather’s WW2 era A-2 which was horse, and his navy G-1 which I believe to be goat from what I’ve been able to find online.

Both are still in incredible condition for the age and have a beautiful look to them. Unfortunately for me they are far too small to wear myself, however my daughter now wears the G-1 after I had it slightly altered and reconditioned it. Looks like it’ll outlast all of us haha.

I like what you had to say about the 4 different jackets in your post you linked. Do you have any experience with the Steele and Jones Jackets or any other company at all or only Wested? Just curious if I ever wanted to “upgrade” to something else since Wested seems to be a good entry level Jones jacket. I love that style and would want to keep within that parameter haha.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

For me Wested was as much as I was willing to spend on a jacket, so far... Would like an S&J, but maybe at a later time.

There are plenty of folks here who have S&J jackets and I only read amazing things, both for the jacket and the collaboration with S&J. :D

Cheers,
Bear