Help me ID these "close enough" LC binoculars

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Help me ID these "close enough" LC binoculars

Post by Indiana Jon »

I spotted these binos at a local antique fair yesterday, and they immediately reminded me of the pair Indy uses in LC. The vendor had them tagged for $65, but was willing to let them go for $40, so I jumped on it. Any serious collector probably wouldn’t give these a second look, as the leather and sun shades are long gone and most of the black paint isn’t far behind. There are also a few dents, one of which is a mirror image of the subtle dent in Indy’s lens casing/frame, which I enjoy (although I’m sure it’s extremely common wear and tear on any vintage pair). But aside from quite a bit of dust between the lenses, they are in surprisingly good shape. No cracks or scratches on the lenses, and they function as they should. For all I know, the value is well below $40 in this condition and I got ripped off, but what can I say? I had to have 'em.

Image Image

Image Image

I’m no expert on militaria, but I spent yesterday evening doing a little research online and I’m having trouble finding an exact match. I may not be looking in the right places. At first glance, they appear to be the Mk V pattern manufactured for military use by a few different British and French companies during WWI. According to my COW research, Indy’s have been identified as Colmonts, and mine are LeMaire. Both manufacturers share quite a few similarities, however. It’s my understanding that any binoculars issued would have a stamp or engravement on the inner barrel and can be seen only when the binos are extended. As you can see, I have no such identifying marks on either side of my inner barrels.

Image Image

I am also missing the loop on either side for the neck strap, although judging from the screengrabs Indy’s do not appear to have those loops either, as his pair appears to have a strap affixed to the bridge, between the eye pieces. Mine measure 4.75” at the widest point, 6” long when closed/not extended, with a 2.25” dia. lens housing (large lens). Using Ford’s three fingers as an approximate gauge in the screengrab below, mine appear to be the correct size. Three of my fingers fit in the grip section.

There is a combination of two features that are making it difficult to find an exact match online. One is the bell shape of the eyepiece casing, and the other is the shape at the bottom of the center post (each circled below). I can find examples with the bell shape eyepiece casing, but they all have a solid center post from top to bottom. Conversely, I can find a similar shape on the center post, but they all have a simplified shape to the eyepiece casing and do not have that extra “layer” that makes mine more of a bell shape.

Furthermore, most of the examples I can find with that bell shape (Both Colmonts and LeMaire) were manufactured in the late 19th century. So I’m increasingly convinced that my pair actually predate WW1 and are not military field glasses. Many of the pairs I can find with a similar shape and size are actually nautical or yachting binoculars.

I’m not trying to prove SA here, as there are noticeable differences between mine and Indy’s (although a few of the similarities are intriguing). I’m more interested in positively identifying the pair I have. I know we have more than a few military buffs in our membership, and I’m hoping they can steer me in the right direction before this becomes yet another obsession of mine. I have more pics from various angles, if that helps. I’m prepared for the replies to be something along the lines of “There are a million combinations of these features from any given manufacturer, and you may never find an exact match.”, but I figured it was worth a shot. Any insight would be appreciated. :TOH:
Last edited by Indiana Jon on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightEyes
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Help me ID these "close enough" LC binoculars

Post by NightEyes »

It’s really hard to tell what is a match without a better look at the adjustment wheel. But I agree with your assessment, I don’t see any loop or built-on extensions for a leather strap on the sides in the screenshot. It just looks tied through the middle.

I think LeMaire is the manufacturer name. I wouldn’t rule anything out in regards to the shape at the angle of the reference image. My recommendation would be to stage some photos more similarly to that angle and lighting.

Its always more fun to find something you’re after in person. Forty bucks seems very reasonable comparing to any optics of that era. Cool item for the bag or display.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Can't help with your quest, but wanted to say that's a nice pair of binoculars. Definitely SA enough in my book. Great find!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

NightEyes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:17 pm It’s really hard to tell what is a match without a better look at the adjustment wheel. But I agree with your assessment, I don’t see any loop or built-on extensions for a leather strap on the sides in the screenshot. It just looks tied through the middle.

I think LeMaire is the manufacturer name. I wouldn’t rule anything out in regards to the shape at the angle of the reference image. My recommendation would be to stage some photos more similarly to that angle and lighting.

Its always more fun to find something you’re after in person. Forty bucks seems very reasonable comparing to any optics of that era. Cool item for the bag or display.
Yes, LeMaire is definitely the manufacturer. They were one of the leading manufacturers at the time. I don't think mine are an exact match to the screen used pair, but after doing some independent research I'm not entirely convinced Indy's were Colmonts either. I have yet to come across a pair of Colmonts online that are an obvious one-for-one match. All the old COW threads declaring Colmont as the manufacturer of the screen-used pair include comparison pics that are no longer supported and dead links that go nowhere, but I'm content taking their word for it. Much like the gas mask bags, the various wartime field glasses share similar basic features with minor variations, so it's a tough call.

Definitely a cool item though. I don't regret the purchase.
bearbeast wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:03 am Can't help with your quest, but wanted to say that's a nice pair of binoculars. Definitely SA enough in my book. Great find!

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks, Bear! I was admiring yours while doing my research on the forum. If Indy's aren't Colmonts, my money would be on your W. Watson & Sons model. That pair is one of the closest matches I've seen, not just on COW but anywhere online! Hang onto 'em!