Where to get accurate ribbons?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Where to get accurate ribbons?

Post by swcrazyfan »

I’m working on my own fedora, and I can’t find the right color ribbon (dark brown, almost black but not black. At least, that’s what I’ve come to understand). Is there a common brand or color people might recommend? I found another potential option, getting one custom made. If so, is there a Pantone color or something anyone might recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Josh
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Where to get accurate ribbons?

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Forrest For the Trees wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:19 pm https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/galloon-ribbon/

Dark Brown
38mm
Thanks for the link! Have you personally used this ribbon? Do you have any example photos of it on a fedora?

Yours is my first and only reply, so I really appreciate the help.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Hi. For your needs, I'd go with Forrest's suggestion unless you want to buy a 50 metre roll from the original maker, TW Bracher, that is located in the UK. Their ribbon is the real deal but the 50m amount is the minimum order they will entertain, and is therefore quite expensive (£96 for the roll). The original Raiders ribbon is called 'dark brown galloon' (38mm). See here: https://tw-bracher.co.uk/product/galloon-ribbon/
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

LRGS wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:24 am Hi. For your needs, I'd go with Forrest's suggestion unless you want to buy a 50 metre roll from the original maker, TW Bracher, that is located in the UK. Their ribbon is the real deal but the 50m amount is the minimum order they will entertain, and is therefore quite expensive (£96 for the roll). The original Raiders ribbon is called 'dark brown galloon' (38mm). See here: https://tw-bracher.co.uk/product/galloon-ribbon/
Thanks for the info! I noticed that the color names for Guy-Morse Brown (Hatblocks.co.uk) and TW Bracher seemed similar, so I contacted Guy-Morse Brown, and it seems that they actually are the same ribbon! They source theirs from TW Bracher and sell shorter lengths. This is great news! For now, I don't need 50 meters, so I'll go with them.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

:-k Hmmm, sounds like we might need another US run of the UK supply... :[

LRGS wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:24 am Hi. For your needs, I'd go with Forrest's suggestion unless you want to buy a 50 metre roll from the original maker, TW Bracher, that is located in the UK. Their ribbon is the real deal but the 50m amount is the minimum order they will entertain, and is therefore quite expensive (£96 for the roll). The original Raiders ribbon is called 'dark brown galloon' (38mm). See here: https://tw-bracher.co.uk/product/galloon-ribbon/
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Dalexs wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:49 pm :-k Hmmm, sounds like we might need another US run of the UK supply... :[

If anyone wants to do that, it’s good idea. However, it wouldn’t help me. I’m in China haha. If I was in the states, I’d definitely be part of that.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yes, my understanding is that the ribbon is exactly the same.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Forrest For the Trees wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:36 pm Yes, my understanding is that the ribbon is exactly the same.

Do you or anyone know if this TW Bracher ribbon is what Herbert Johnson for sure uses?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

We were told a number of years ago by (I think) a source inside HJ that this was their source for the ribbon.
If you dig around a bit it, you'll find the references to it.
I stumbled across it recently when this thread started.

And if it isn't, its the closest we've ever come. ;)

Dalexs
swcrazyfan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:39 pm
Do you or anyone know if this TW Bracher ribbon is what Herbert Johnson for sure uses?