What do you think of this wool fedora I had custom made?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What do you think of this wool fedora I had custom made?

Post by swcrazyfan »

Firstly, hello! I used to be somewhat active here over a decade ago around CS. Recently, I got back into Indy, but now I live in China...and both of my Federations are in the states.

I've been searching high and low for something budget-friendly, and I found a company here in China who would custom make a fedora for me quite inexpensively! Sadly, they didn't have rabbit fur in the right color, so I'll have to wait a few months for that. Instead, I ordered a wool fedora for the time being. I'm more than happy with it for the price. But there are a few details, such as the ribbon, that I missed the first round. With the lighter ribbon, it currently looks closer to the DoD hat with a Raiders pinch.

Besides the Cotswold fedora, there doesn't seem to be anything else made in wool thats remotely screen-accurate. The cheapest options people seem to have are the Federation IV at $150, which is currently (and often) out of stock. Then, the AdVintage which is $220. The official Indy hat which doesn't look at all right is $68 on Amazon, but theres almost nothing else the close to that price that actually looks right. Anyone have any ideas why? I'm guessing a lot of budget costumers would be fine with wool. I can tell the difference in my hands between fur felt and wool and there is clearly a winner for durability, but for a costume? Not bad, in my mind.

Below are pics of my hat, by the way. Going for a Raiders bash, but I'm still working on getting a tighter pinch. It's currently closer now since in the pics.
IMG_1480 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1485 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1487 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1474 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1475 Medium.jpeg
IMG_1478 Medium.jpeg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: What do you think of this wool fedora I had custom made?

Post by bearbeast »

It looks quite good, I would wear it! And it suits you well, the side shot is especially nice! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Not bad at all. :TOH: And since it didn't cost you much, you can wear the heck out of it if you like.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I concur with what’s been said, for a wool Fedora, that’s not bad.
Done a great bash too.
And welcome back to the fold.
Be careful with the rain, wool Fedora don’t like the rain.

I remember my first fedora right after RotLA, and man that hat transformed me into Indiana Jones
Can’t wait to see the next one.

Croft. :mrgreen:
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

Not bad at all, and a great price! Now go out and beat the #### out of it and it will be a perfect companion!