A comparison between my Wested jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

A comparison between my Wested jackets

Post by bearbeast »

I am very far from being an expert on the jacket. For me what Wested offers is more than close enough. But since I have their jackets in a few hides, I thought I'd show a comparison between the colours as well as some of my thoughts.

In the pictures below you will see from left to right:

- LC Wested in horsehide - custom, but I took the OTR sizes, only customizing the inside pockets
- Raiders in shrunken lamb - custom, but I took the OTR sizes again, only customizing the inside pockets
- ToD - OTR in lambskin
- Raider - OTR in goatskin

First of all, regarding the size. I ordered all in size 46, but the best fitting jacket is the Tod. I absolutely love the fit, seems like a custom tailored jacket, but my hands will not really fit in the hand-warmer pockets. The other jackets are ok-ish, but all feel slightly too large, the sleeves a bit too long. This is due to choosing OTR measurements, definitely.

Secondly, in regards to the hides:

The horsehide is thick and heavy. It is very stiff and I cannot imagine it will ever distress or soften naturally. It is also my least worn jacket as it is uncomfortable, and a bit hard to put on/take off. The very stiff hide also easily breaks the threads. If you want to be safe when being dragged behind a truck, though... this IS the hide for you. In case you get too warm, you do NOT want to carry it in your hand... it's like a small dumbbell.

The shrunken lambskin is very soft and pliable. I would say it feels like touching velvet and it is the least shiny of all the jackets. In the beginning it was REALLY easy to rip the leather. Not the thread, but the leather itself ripped in some places. I have treated it with Pecard's a couple of times and have had no issues since. So I am putting the frailness up to the leather being dry. Also though the leather is thinner, it still has some weight and it will make you sweat.

The (ToD) lambskin is very light, VERY shinny and has held up quite well, seems quite resilient. It is the lightest leather I have and can almost wear it in warm weather too. I usually take it with me when going for walks around the months of May-June, as I can carry it in my hand without getting tired after 5-6 km, in case it is too warm for it still.

The goatskin... what can I say about it? This is the classic jacket leather... this is what I imagine when I think of a leather jacket. It is medium weight, thick enough for slightly cooler weather, but also won't break your arm if you need to carry it.

Lastly here are the pics, so you can judge for yourself:

And I think the pic below shows the 'real' colour as close as possible:

Hope you find something useful in my post! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: A comparison between my Wested jackets

Post by tomek9210 »

ToD in regular lambskin just looks the best. The shrunken lamb is too light in color for my taste.

I've also had the Raiders jacket in horsehide. I can only repeat what you have written - stiff and heavy like an armour. I modified it by replacing the lining with fleece so I could wear it in winter. It was okay for mild winter days. I didn't like it much so I've sold it to another member here. Maybe he is still wearing it!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

tomek9210 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:19 pm ToD in regular lambskin just looks the best. The shrunken lamb is too light in color for my taste.

I've also had the Raiders jacket in horsehide. I can only repeat what you have written - stiff and heavy like an armour. I modified it by replacing the lining with fleece so I could wear it in winter. It was okay for mild winter days. I didn't like it much so I've sold it to another member here. Maybe he is still wearing it!
Agreed, the ToD is pretty nice. But it is almost black, so I prefer the colour of the goatskin. The shrunken lambskin is too light, indeed.

Also, I am keeping the horsehide for sentimental reasons mostly: it is my first piece of Indy gear, but I barely wear it anymore. [-(
Mikeynts
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mikeynts »

Wow! Cool comparison…

Owning the Wested standard Raiders in goatskin since 3 weeks. Definitely rugged. Will need some breaking in ;)
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

[quote=Mikeynts post_id=947999 time=1671272807 user_id=10506]
Wow! Cool comparison…

Owning the Wested standard Raiders in goatskin since 3 weeks. Definitely rugged. Will need some breaking in ;)
[/quote]

Yup, it definitely seems to be more resilient than both lambskins from the other jackets. As you said, rugged. After around a year it still feels new, but to be fair I wore it in rotation with the other jackets.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Goat is usually my preferred leather for most jackets, other than riding jackets, for the reasons you say. It's the best blend of weight and durability of the common leathers. Plus it's generally more naturally water resistant than other leathers. But some people really don't like it because of the grain and sometimes lesser quality goat can look plastic-y, but the main reason some in the Indy jacket world don't like it is because it will never patina like other finished leathers. IMO goat can make an awesome Raiders jacket because the crinkling mimics striation well.

What's funny about Wested's horsehide is that it is lighter than most horsehide jackets you'll come across. But you're right that they do use the wrong thread; snapped stitches are a common problem. But if you wear the heck out of that jacket it will become a second skin. Takes time but it will fit incredibly if you want it to.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:53 pm Goat is usually my preferred leather for most jackets, other than riding jackets, for the reasons you say. It's the best blend of weight and durability of the common leathers. Plus it's generally more naturally water resistant than other leathers. But some people really don't like it because of the grain and sometimes lesser quality goat can look plastic-y, but the main reason some in the Indy jacket world don't like it is because it will never patina like other finished leathers. IMO goat can make an awesome Raiders jacket because the crinkling mimics striation well.

What's funny about Wested's horsehide is that it is lighter than most horsehide jackets you'll come across. But you're right that they do use the wrong thread; snapped stitches are a common problem. But if you wear the heck out of that jacket it will become a second skin. Takes time but it will fit incredibly if you want it to.
I really love the grain on the goat hide, looks very well. Regarding the patina, I can't say I don't mind the jacket won’t get it, if this is the case. I like using all my gear to the fullest. However the gear ages naturally is ok. But I understand loads of people want to give the jacket that aged look, and it makes sense the goat skin would be a drawback then.

And wow... i can't imagine a heavier skin than the Wested horsehide. It feels like an armour almost. I will try and wear it more to break it in and make it fit nicely. :-k
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I had a ToD made in Horsehide and whilst it is a bit of a thicker hide, I didn't find it to be substanially different in weight thickness to Dark Novapelle for example, especially after comments I'd read about the hide. Of course if one ordered a standard fit jacket in the hide you've got the extra bits that reinforce the jacket like leather facings that probably make it seem doubly thicker.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I've got a Novapelle too, and although I'm still not entirely clear on what it is exactly (only Wested seem to sell it!) I do like it a lot. It's nice to have a slightly heavier for a windier day and it scuffs up in a rather pretty way.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Hmmm, searching around it seems Novapelle is cowhide? I did not expect it to be as heavy as horsehide. :-k
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It's not *as* heavy, but the difference with holding one jacket with on hand and one in the other is not masively perceptable.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well the thing about the novapelle is that it's so soft and pliable that it drapes you in a way that you really feel the weight. With horse or steer there's an underlying structure there in the fibers that helps support the weight, so to speak. With novapelle those fibers have been so softened that it behaves like a wet towel. It clings in a way most leathers of that weight don't.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yeah I wouldn’t disagree, the sleeves do sort of hang under their own weight and don’t make the nicest shape as a result.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Oh, that is very interesting! Great description, I can imagine how it feels. :-k
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

bearbeast wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:15 pm I am very far from being an expert on the jacket. For me what Wested offers is more than close enough. But since I have their jackets in a few hides, I thought I'd show a comparison between the colours as well as some of my thoughts.

In the pictures below you will see from left to right:

- LC Wested in horsehide - custom, but I took the OTR sizes, only customizing the inside pockets
- Raiders in shrunken lamb - custom, but I took the OTR sizes again, only customizing the inside pockets
- ToD - OTR in lambskin
- Raider - OTR in goatskin

First of all, regarding the size. I ordered all in size 46, but the best fitting jacket is the Tod. I absolutely love the fit, seems like a custom tailored jacket, but my hands will not really fit in the hand-warmer pockets. The other jackets are ok-ish, but all feel slightly too large, the sleeves a bit too long. This is due to choosing OTR measurements, definitely.

Secondly, in regards to the hides:

The horsehide is thick and heavy. It is very stiff and I cannot imagine it will ever distress or soften naturally. It is also my least worn jacket as it is uncomfortable, and a bit hard to put on/take off. The very stiff hide also easily breaks the threads. If you want to be safe when being dragged behind a truck, though... this IS the hide for you. In case you get too warm, you do NOT want to carry it in your hand... it's like a small dumbbell.

The shrunken lambskin is very soft and pliable. I would say it feels like touching velvet and it is the least shiny of all the jackets. In the beginning it was REALLY easy to rip the leather. Not the thread, but the leather itself ripped in some places. I have treated it with Pecard's a couple of times and have had no issues since. So I am putting the frailness up to the leather being dry. Also though the leather is thinner, it still has some weight and it will make you sweat.

The (ToD) lambskin is very light, VERY shinny and has held up quite well, seems quite resilient. It is the lightest leather I have and can almost wear it in warm weather too. I usually take it with me when going for walks around the months of May-June, as I can carry it in my hand without getting tired after 5-6 km, in case it is too warm for it still.

The goatskin... what can I say about it? This is the classic jacket leather... this is what I imagine when I think of a leather jacket. It is medium weight, thick enough for slightly cooler weather, but also won't break your arm if you need to carry it.

Lastly here are the pics, so you can judge for yourself:

And I think the pic below shows the 'real' colour as close as possible:

Hope you find something useful in my post! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks for this post. They all look great. You said the T o D fits the best. How so? are the armholes higher? Sleeves narrower? What size are these OTR's?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

The ToD is a more slim, tight fit. Completely different cut. And the sleeves are a bit shorter indeed, it just fits right.

Not sure what the sizes are OTR, but I would still go with an OTR jacket, instead of going custom. I got the first two jackets custom made, taking the sizes from OTR charts and it was just not the same. I think when they make custom jackets they don't get it right at times. :-k

Cheers,
Bear
OldGringo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by OldGringo »

Yep...I agree....the Novapelle. Or the Goat...best leathers to wear......and will last....
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I do love my Novapelle; it's not like a screen-used jacket, but just has a lovely feel to it.
I was watching the Dungeons & Dragons film, and Chris Pine's jacket in that looked quite similar I thought.
OldGringo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by OldGringo »

Have not seen the movie...will check it out......I always thought the novapelle was a good crystal skull leather....had the Nowak jacket....819 model I think.....liked my novapelle better....to each is own..... :-k
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yes that's a good point, it's probably not a bad match for the heavier Skull jacket.
DanSkywalker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanSkywalker »

I’m trying to figure out cut differences between the Wested standard ToD and Raiders jackets and came across this thread and thought this might be a good place to ask my question. This is my first time posting - I just recently got introduced to this new world of Indy jackets, and absolutely love it!

So I just received a Wested standard Raiders jacket in a size 38 (chest measures right at 38), and it feels just a tad on the larger side; I’m getting what I’ve learned is the “flying squirrel effect.” I’d like a 2nd jacket to fit a little more form fitting so I’m looking at the standard ToD one (even more so now, seeing what you’ve said here, Bear). However, I really like the Raiders style, since it has larger pockets. On Wested’s website, it shows that all of the measurements for a size 38 ToD match the measurements of a 36 Raiders… is it safe to assume these should fit about the same, or are there other aspects of the ToD cut that still help make it a better/tighter fitting jacket - like arm hole placement or sizing? Thanks in advance to anyone that read this long question and can give any advice!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I am not one that knows the depths of the jacket lore and tailoring, I merely put down some of my impressions up there. Maybe someone will come along and answer something more to the point.

What I can say:

When getting the Raiders, Crusade jacket of the rack it is rather loose. For the same size the ToD will be much more form fitting. I love my ToD because of this. My only issue with it is the unusable handwarmer pockets. I can barely squeeze my hands in and if I do, I can barely get them out.

I don't know if it is general sizing, but I am leaning towards the reason for the tighter fit being tailoring. :-k

Another thing is that getting custom (from Wested) is a hit and miss. Some guys on here had not a great luck.

I myself ordered the Raiders as custom, but only due to the inner pocket. I chose the OTR size for it and it came out fitting much differently than an OTR Raiders... Don't know why. ](*,)

Cheers,
Bear
DanSkywalker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanSkywalker »

Thanks, Bear - that’s all super helpful!

I had been leaning towards just ordering a sized-down custom Raiders since the shoulder and chest measurements would match those of the ToD, and adjusting the sleeve length and overall length to account for the slimmer chest area, but that’s very interesting that your custom jacket with the standard OTR measurements fits differently than the standard one. Sort of makes me second guess this plan.

If you don’t mind me asking another question, with your custom Raiders, how does it fit differently than a standard OTR?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Don't mind at all!

You won't like the answer though: it feels looser! :rolling:

My OTR goatskin raiders in size 46 (my chest is 46 or a bit over) looks ok on me, but it is not exactly form fitting. I would like it to be tighter in some areas.

And the custom shrunken lamb (with OTR sizes for a 46 jacket) feels way too loose. This is it in the album below.

https://imgur.com/a/RPoHxDZ

I like it in pictures, but when wearing it...it feels like a large lab coat. :rolling:

Now that you mentioned the fact that the ToD OTR jacket has the same measurements as a smaller Raiders jacket I am curious. Might need to get one Raiders in 44... hmmm....
DanSkywalker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanSkywalker »

No, not looser! :lol: I wonder if the different skins play any part in that.

I think the jacket looks great in your pictures, but I see what you mean - it does look to be on the looser side, but still looks great and like it's very comfortable.

I may just roll the dice and order the smaller Raiders size. I'll have to do custom anyway because I'd like to get it in pre-distressed lambskin.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think the skin affects the drape mostly, but it might give the feeling of looseness, too. :-k Though the weight of the skins seems similar the softness is different for sure.

Thinking of my horsehide, which I love the fit of and is in size 46: that fits nice and snug. And I think there it is definitely a matter of it being a think and heavy hide.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your gear! :D
DanSkywalker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanSkywalker »

So I called a last minute audible last night before ordering and decided to go with a Legacy Temple of Doom. :[ From what you were saying, and others’ reviews, it seems like the ToD really does fit everyone better. I’m sure this won’t be the last jacket I purchase, and once I came to that conclusion, I stopped stressing over it.

I’ll definitely post some pictures when I get it! Thanks for your help and advice! :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Great decision and good conclusion. For sure, once you get one jacket you have the bug and more will come! :TOH:

I am glad if I was able to help!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Cough, cough s&j, cough cough……….. :CR:

Croft :mrgreen:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Croft wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:37 pm Cough, cough s&j, cough cough……….. :CR:

That is subtle, but sound, advice! :lol:

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I'm not nocking Wested, truly.
I got lucky with a Hero Raiders a few years ago, like 5-6 and it fits my 42" chest nicely.
Over the years of reading countless threads onWested, it's alway beena hit or miss on fit.
Great jacket, but it always seems, hey can yo tweak the mesurement here, SURE WE CAN MATE, but it'll throw something else off, but oh well......

OTR seem the best fit, mine had very little adjustment, so I got lucky.
Your jacket have such varying colored skins, all nice.

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

No worries, I think Wested is a good budget choice. And OTR is the way to go. Exactly as you say: going custom will mess something of the fit.

Otherwise for sure S&J is THE way to go. I've only heard amazing things about them. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
DanSkywalker
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DanSkywalker »

Indiana Croft wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:37 pm Cough, cough s&j, cough cough……….. :CR:

Haha :TOH:

Yeah I see a jacket from them in the near future very likely. Contemplating a hat from them too, at some point. It sounds like their customer service and attention to detail is top notch.
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

I can attest to the custom fiasco. I ordered a custom hero in goat, size 42. The sleeves were so stinking tight. It looks really weird. My custom LC (2011, maybe) came with those curvey looking collars that the original poster showed here. The jacket didn't come out right as far as fit goes, either. Every time I've had a custom order, it just came as a disappointment. Had a custom horsehide, too. Acetone could barely touch the finish and the undertones were pink. Horribly uncomfortable jacket.

I used rubbing alcohol to get some of the finish off of my goat hero (from 2015, maybe). Then I used a real soft T-shirt to buff the surface. It brought out a nice satin finish type of shine to it. It looks like patina to me.

It really sounds like an OTR ToD would be good for me to try next. Now I'm interested.

I really like Wested off-the-rack jackets. I think they're fine. I'm lucky, though, because they usually work for me in the arms and back length.

Now, something else to consider is you could just get a smaller sized OTR jacket, then take it to a tailor who can lengthen the sleeves. You might get charged $40 for this in the US.