Indy's Eagle Scout Medal?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indy's Eagle Scout Medal?

Post by Liberance »

Just came across this photograph of Indy's Eagle Scout medal (and Boy Scout backpack) while discussing some pictures from an old Lucas Archives exhibition with a friend.

I know some people collect them, but I was wondering, do we ever get to see the medal in the films?
Attachments
indy_bag_medal.png
indy_bag_medal.png (134.9 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indy's Eagle Scout Medal?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

In LC Indy has a Life rank patch on his uniform which in 1912 was issued before Star rank and then Eagle so in the movie he had not yet earned the rank of Eagle Scout.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Liberance »

What's the medal from the archives supposed to be then? I'm not familiar with these.

Perhaps someone else's prop? The only other thing that occurs to me is perhaps decoration for Henry's home in 1938 but I doubt he'd keep that if they both grew apart.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I don’t think it’s an actual prop from the movie. My guess is it’s more recognizable as a BSA rank as well as SS earned Eagle so it could be a nod to his accomplishment.

I think the head canon for most fans is Indy eventually earned his Eagle rank.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I just rewatched the opening to refresh my memory and interestingly the only two Scouts not wearing backpacks are Indy and Herman. You can see when the Scouts are dismounting and Herman falls off his horse. (Time stamp 2:03)

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Liberance »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:10 pm I just rewatched the opening to refresh my memory and interestingly the only two Scouts not wearing backpacks are Indy and Herman. You can see when the Scouts are dismounting and Herman falls off his horse. (Time stamp 2:03)
Yeah, I noticed that as well. It certainly makes more sense than having them carry that around and getting in the way of the scene, but it would've looked weird for the troop overall to not be carrying anything while exploring out there. Classic movie brain hack.

Who knows about the medal. I think if it's in the Archives, it must have been planned for something. I'm not sure if it would've been placed there just for decoration. It still think it perhaps was planned as some background prop at Henry's place, odd as it may seem. One day we may find out.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Except once dismounted none of the Scouts are wearing the packs. So why only Indy and Herman would not wear packs while riding. It’s weird.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Liberance »

It makes them stand out. Their poses read better and the two main actors are easier to recognize in the wide. Herman also has to fall on his back, which looks better without the pack. There can be plenty of reasons. It's actually a fun little detail.
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

I've always wondered about the Eagle medal shown in the archives.
Could it be from Indy's house later in the film?
Liberance
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Liberance »

BossThreads wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:13 pmI've always wondered about the Eagle medal shown in the archives.
Indy's home isn't featured in The Last Crusade, but I guess you mean Henry's too. Could've been there, or Indy's college office (which wouldn't make any sense to me).

I've been checking Crystal Skull as well since sometimes these props get reused (Henry's 1910 photo with young Indy from Crusade can be seen briefly in Indy's home, there's supposedly a picture of Willie from Temple of Doom somewhere in there as well, and of course, more noticeably, the Path of God painting from Henry's home is seen again in Indy's apartment in Dial of Destiny). But... I couldn't find the medal anywhere.
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

Liberance wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:22 pm
BossThreads wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:13 pmI've always wondered about the Eagle medal shown in the archives.
Indy's home isn't featured in The Last Crusade, but I guess you mean Henry's too. Could've been there, or Indy's college office (which wouldn't make any sense to me).

I've been checking Crystal Skull as well since sometimes these props get reused (Henry's 1910 photo with young Indy from Crusade can be seen briefly in Indy's home, there's supposedly a picture of Willie from Temple of Doom somewhere in there as well, and of course, more noticeably, the Path of God painting from Henry's home is seen again in Indy's apartment in Dial of Destiny). But... I couldn't find the medal anywhere.
Yes, forgot that was Henry's home.