The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: The Federation IV Display Page

Post by Michaelson »

In dark brown? Check with sales@hatsdirect.com and see. It’s in stock in the Deluxe model.

Regards! M
jgino
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jgino »

Thanks
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Looking great, Arch Stanton. I really like the sweep of the brim in the second pic. :TOH:

Bear
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Some sharp looking hats here, no doubt.

I don't own a Fed IV, but I've always wanted one. I have always considered the Fed IV to be my "next Indy hat" (because I need one more...).

There are finer felt versions of the hat out there. Anyone who has an Adventurebilt or one of Penman's lids knows what those feel like, both in the hand and on the head. For me, these hats are not the ones I'd wear out in the weather. Not because they couldn't take it, but I just can't stomach wearing a hat that expensive in the rain. Hurts my feelings, lol.

Which brings me to the Fed IV and Akubra. I have an old Akubra Adventurer. I know, it's not very much an Indy hat. I bought it back before I knew any better. But, let me tell you this: it is one tough hat. It became my everyday hat, or my chore hat, if you will. I've worn it in all kinds of weather, and it's been soaking wet (think of the river/float plane scene at the beginning of "Raiders" - yeah, that wet). It still maintains its shape to this day. If the Feds are made anything like that, they are one tough hat that will (should) last forever, if you take care of them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They are that tough.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Michaelson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:03 am They are that tough.

Regards! Michaelson
I just ordered my first Fed IV!

I'm very excited. This is hot on the heels of purchasing my Advintage Harrison in June, plus the rest of the gear required for a complete Raiders costume build from various vendors, after extensive research (Is it safe to say I've caught the bug? :oops: ). I absolutely love my Harrison, but I'm still treating it like it was spun from gold. I haven't even taken it outside. Normally I'm an advocate for natural distressing and just wearing clothes as they are intended to be worn, with love. I'm doing that without a problem with my Wested jacket, but I can't seem to bring myself to treat the hat casually. Maybe because it's new and oh so handsome? I dunno. If you knew me personally, you would have no doubt that it has nothing to do with any insecurity regarding wearing a fedora in public. That doesn't phase me in the slightest. I think I just like to take care of my things, and since the Harrison is the only proper Indy hat I own, I'm nervous to take risks with it.

Then it occurred to me that maybe I would feel more inclined to wear a fedora normally if I had a second one. That makes total sense and is not in any way indicative of an addict personality, right? ;) I wanted something with a bit more standard bash that could double as a hat to bring camping/hiking, etc. To do that, it would obviously have to be a little more durable than a standard rabbit fur felt. Well, the Fed IV fits that bill, and after reading Michaelson's comment above, I was convinced. I went for the shaping service since I'm not quite ready to bash a hat myself. Can't wait to post pics! I'm thrilled to own something with such a reliable reputation within this community.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I initially felt the same way about taking my hats out on "adventures", but then I thought I would regret it if I never used them.

I still take care of them of course, but I use them all fully. Wind, sun, rain, sweat, dust, they are exposed to all naturally.

The Fed IV feels like a tank and repels water like the rabbit had rabies, but you can also trust the Harrison. I've had my first Harrison for some years now. It gets wet much easier, but it holds up really well. I have also sat on it, crushed it by mistake and it is still fine.

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:27 pm I initially felt the same way about taking my hats out on "adventures", but then I thought I would regret it if I never used them.

I still take care of them of course, but I use them all fully. Wind, sun, rain, sweat, dust, they are exposed to all naturally.

The Fed IV feels like a tank and repels water like the rabbit had rabies, but you can also trust the Harrison. I've had my first Harrison for some years now. It gets wet much easier, but it holds up really well. I have also sat on it, crushed it by mistake and it is still fine.

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks, Bear. I'm sure I'll get there. I too struggle with not using things as they are intended to be used, not matter how special they are. It'll come with time, I suppose. Hearing you share your experience with both products definitely helps me relax a little. A person can go insane reading all the care tips, horror stories, and do's and don'ts in these pages. As helpful as it is, it can also freeze a guy in place. But I always end up back at "What would Indy do?" He'd wear the @#$% out of it, that's what. :whip:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind, the Akubra line is made for daily use in some of the toughest outdoors and territories in the world. They’re specifically made to use outdoors, so don’t baby the Federation. They’ll take it.

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Not a problem wanting to own more than one hat (this statement endorsed by the Hat Sellers Association).

I have a variety of hats, most I use for “street wear.” I don’t baby them, but they aren’t yard work/hiking/camping hats. I want to keep them looking nice for everyday wear and reserve specific hats for dirty, sweaty activities.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:38 pm
Thanks, Bear. I'm sure I'll get there. I too struggle with not using things as they are intended to be used, not matter how special they are. It'll come with time, I suppose. Hearing you share your experience with both products definitely helps me relax a little. A person can go insane reading all the care tips, horror stories, and do's and don'ts in these pages. As helpful as it is, it can also freeze a guy in place. But I always end up back at "What would Indy do?" He'd wear the @#$% out of it, that's what. :whip:
It is always good to care for your gear. My motto is: "I take care of my gear and it takes care of me.", but like Michaelson and Jeff said, it makes no sense to baby it.

The care advice and guidelines are good to follow, but don't over do it. If it starts raining don't take the hat off just so it doesn't get wet, while you end up soaked. :rolling: Every once in a while all hats will withstand also some water. Just don't swim with it, don't set it down in dirty, wet places if you can avoid it. And yeah, maybe don't sit on it. :CR:

After all hats are more than fashion accessories. They've been regular headwear for centuries.

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Thank you for the words of encouragement, gentlemen. It's funny, I've worn $75 wool felt close-enoughs out in the woods for years. I think the price point and the connection to the films has kept me from risking my Harrison, which is ironic considering it's a higher quality of material than any lid I've worn thus far. Like I said, I'll get there.

I had emailed Trudi at The Hattery after placing my order explaining that I'm right on the 60cm mark, so if they think I should go up a size feel free to let me know. She just emailed me to tell me that they bumped me up to a 61cm (60.7cm) and added extra adjustment tape for the initial breaking-in period. My LC bash is complete and the shipment is already en route! That's quality customer service.

My Harrison is a 60cm and it fits perfectly at the moment. I know Thomas at Advintage pads the sizes to account for the shrinkage and I have a hat-jack if/when the need arises. I'm really curious to see how the 61cm Fed compares to the 60cm Harrison.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

:tup:

Don't forget to delight us with pics from your adventures with the hats!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

:tup:

Will do.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Two things:

1. I know that these hats cost money. I mean, when you look at the regular world out there, spending over $100 on a hat is just plain nuts! Not to mention more than $600 on an HJ!! But, they are what they are and if you do have a beater hat such as an Akubra, it makes it all the easier to wear the (*^&$ out of it! And in the end, you can always buy another one!

2. and be ready for a pretty stiff hat. Out of all the hats I have bought and owned, the Fed IV is always very stiff. This thing can stand up on it's own! So if you are getting it pre-bashed, it should be good to go!

Good luck!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Are they hard to bash yourself?
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

It can be a tad tricky if you haven’t done it before, but I wouldn’t say it’s hard really. There’s plenty of content in these forums, and I’m sure you can find tutorials on YouTube.

-KB :)
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Kentucky Blues wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:48 pm It can be a tad tricky if you haven’t done it before, but I wouldn’t say it’s hard really. There’s plenty of content in these forums, and I’m sure you can find tutorials on YouTube.

I appreciate that. I guess I should have asked is the felt stiff. That's more my question.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Been a while since I had a new one, but I recall it being fairly stiff when new. Not quite cowboy hat stiff, but definitely not flimsy or floppy. It’ll soften a bit temporarily with steam.

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Kentucky Blues wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:03 pm Been a while since I had a new one, but I recall it being fairly stiff when new. Not quite cowboy hat stiff, but definitely not flimsy or floppy. It’ll soften a bit temporarily with steam.

Ah, got it. Thanks :TOH:
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

My Fed IV arrived last night!

Well, you guys tried to prep me for the sturdiness of this lid, but ... wow! "They aren't kiddin' around, are they?" This thing is a steel beast! I know all new fedoras are stiff right out of the box, but as soon as I picked it up I knew there was no need to baby the Fed IV. When compared to my Advintage Harrison, the felt appears to be a similar thickness, but there's a tangible difference between the two felts. Granted, I've been wearing my Harrison sporadically since purchasing it in June so it's obviously more broken in, but still ... it's clear that the Fed IV was built for adventure. I can't wait to take it on its first hike.

As I mentioned above, Trudi bumped me up to a size 61cm, and she was right to do so. It's just loose enough to be perfect with some time and wear. It's ~90°F here this time of year and I have the sides of my head shaved down to the skin, so I've added the 4" foam tape to the back for now. I'll remove it when the time comes. I took advantage of the shaping service, and I'm glad I did. Their "1930's Shape" is close enough to an LC bash for me, and it suits my intended purposes (also mentioned above) perfectly. I wish there was just a smidge more cowboy curl to the brim, but I may be able to work that out myself someday. Otherwise, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Pardon the extreme close-up selfies. It was dark out by the time I got home last night, and my roommate wasn't home to help me take some decent pics. I'll post some better pics once I get this baby out under the sun. I can also post comparison pics with my Harrison if anyone thinks that might be beneficial.

Last edited by Indiana Jon on Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Looks great!! Congrats!!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Looks really good, glad you like it! :TOH:

I also used their bashing service and was quite satisfied. It does lean towards LC indeed!

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Charybdis wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:53 pm Looks great!! Congrats!!
Many thanks!
bearbeast wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:21 am Looks really good, glad you like it! :TOH:

I also used their bashing service and was quite satisfied. It does lean towards LC indeed!

Cheers,
Bear
Thanks, bear. Quick question, since you also got the shaping service, do the side dents in your Fed IV go as far back as mine do? It's a nitpick, but mine go all the way back to the knot in the ribbon and I wish they were just a teensy bit more shallow. I was hesitant to bash it myself, so I'm not complaining. Just curious how your experience compares.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Hmmm, nope they are a bit shorter on mine now that I look at them both.

https://imgur.com/a/w6ixUQa

I think you can slightly push from the inside, see if the ends pop back, if it really bothers you. Otherwise it is fine! ;)

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:25 pm Hmmm, nope they are a bit shorter on mine now that I look at them both.

I think you can slightly push from the inside, see if the ends pop back, if it really bothers you. Otherwise it is fine! ;)

Cheers,
Bear
Interesting. I did try to push them out a little but they popped back into place. Like I said, it's a nitpick. Right now it's some kinda LC/CS hybrid with those deep side dents, which is sort of endearing actually. If I just keep working it gently, maybe it'll eventually get the idea.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:40 pm
bearbeast wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:25 pm Hmmm, nope they are a bit shorter on mine now that I look at them both.

Cheers,
Bear
Interesting. I did try to push them out a little but they popped back into place. Like I said, it's a nitpick. Right now it's some kinda LC/CS hybrid with those deep side dents, which is sort of endearing actually. If I just keep working it gently, maybe it'll eventually get the idea.
Yup, it softens up slightly in time. When you get it you can break rocks with it.

After some rain and wearing it softens up. I did not try to see how well it retains its shape by manhandling it.

This test will happen anyway by accident when I sit on it at one point. :rolling:
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

:rolling:

Yeah, I'm not gonna rush anything. I'll get some mileage on it and see where the road takes us. Thanks.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:04 pm :rolling:

Yeah, I'm not gonna rush anything. I'll get some mileage on it and see where the road takes us. Thanks.
:tup: :TOH:
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Took my Fed IV on its first hike this past weekend. Broke her in at Black Run Preserve here in New Jersey. It's a defunct cranberry bog that's been converted to a wildlife preserve. Really cool place. We went off trail searching for an abandoned car wreck rumored to be in the middle of the woods. Got into some deep marsh and had to get creative a few times. I came away with muddy boots and a few scrapes. The Fed came away with little more than cobwebs, which only adds to its character. Alas, we didn't find the wreck. Had to turn back before we started losing daylight. But it's safe to say she's had her first adventure.

Here's to many more!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Sounds like an awesome adventure. I really like that second pic!

Cheers,
Bear
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Parttimeteacher »

DoubleOhSeven wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:43 am Which brings me to the Fed IV and Akubra. I have an old Akubra Adventurer. I know, it's not very much an Indy hat. I bought it back before I knew any better. But, let me tell you this: it is one tough hat. It became my everyday hat, or my chore hat, if you will. I've worn it in all kinds of weather, and it's been soaking wet (think of the river/float plane scene at the beginning of "Raiders" - yeah, that wet). It still maintains its shape to this day. If the Feds are made anything like that, they are one tough hat that will (should) last forever, if you take care of them.
I have an Adventurer and a Fed IV, and, tbh, there's not much difference. The sides of the Adventurer are about 1/8" wider and the front and back are about 1/4" longer and the ribbon is a shade or so lighter brown. Other than that, the 2 hats are almost identical. They're both good, tough hats.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I usually like to switch it up and wear my different hats in rotation, but the last few weeks I've been on a Fed IV binge. I have been travelling the last two weeks and I think it is the first time I took only one hat with me.

The last days some rainy and stormy weather came to where I was staying and I have got to say: the Fed IV can definitely stay on the noggin'. With wind gusts of up to 43 km/h I was afraid it would be blown off, but it stayed securely on my head. Not only this, but it is not too tight either, it fits just right, and still it stays put.

Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Lookin' good, bear. Enjoy your travels!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:05 am Lookin' good, bear. Enjoy your travels!
Thank you, Indiana Jon! My travels are over now unfortunately, but I still have some days off til I go back to work! \:D/

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

bearbeast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:27 am
Thank you, Indiana Jon! My travels are over now unfortunately, but I still have some days off til I go back to work! \:D/

Cheers,
Bear
In that case, enjoy your remaining days off! :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Jon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:34 am
bearbeast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:27 am

Cheers,
Bear
In that case, enjoy your remaining days off! :TOH:
Thank you loads! :TOH:
leewheeler
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by leewheeler »

Just ordered mine today and I must say the customer service at The Hattery is Exceptional !

I spend a lot of time in super hot countries helping out where I can during my holiday time, as I'm single and trained by the UK armed forces so pool holidays aren't for someone like me.
Anyway I'm starting to get TOO TANNED for a mid lifer and I'm old enough to know that being a dried out old prune isn't attractive to anyone, I've always liked the Indy movies and thought Fedora's are wide brimmed, so started doing the research bit - I guess like everyone on here.

Found the Fed IV and thought its within my budget and looks good, and lots of people are saying they are great hats and can take a beating.

Of course being the popular choice it was out of stock, so I sent an email enquiring if they would be receiving any more stock in my size. Just my luck I then missed Trudi's reply as I was completing some humanitarian work in Turkey, and we aren't allowed to have our own phones with us due to various security reasons, so I was disappointed that I missed the email and never a good turn came to mind several times on the flight home.

As soon I got back home I checked the website but they were still out of stock, so I sent a reply to Trudi explaining why I missed her email and thanking her for trying but sadly they were out of stock again. And then to my complete amazement not only was I answered out of hours, but Trudi went out of her way to track me down a Fed IV in my size, I guess first thing in the morning as I received the email early hours UK time.

I mean the big hearted lovely lady must went around with a tape measure checking various hat bands to find me one that was approx. my size 54.5 + 1cm for shrinkage.

So even before I've received my lovely new hat, I'm a complete fan of The Hattery and it's staff, and can't thank them enough.

I will post a few pics on here to be one of the boys.
leewheeler
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by leewheeler »

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?photo ... 8048687526

This is my Fed IV in Cairo, yes in Cairo.
If there’s someone that can help me reshape the thing that would be great. I live in the midlands UK, but I will travel anyplace to get some help.

Cheers
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Took my Fed 4 Deluxe on another adventure! My wife took these pics up in the Mt Rainer National Park two days back.
IMG_9480.jpeg
IMG_9479.jpeg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Very cool! Looks like a nice adventure! :TOH:
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Thank you, it’s a trip sorely needed!!!
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Couple more pics from our trip to Washington State and Oregon! This Fed got heat, cold and drenched two times in a row and it just feels more comfortable. And is a little cleaner now!
IMG_9959.jpeg
IMG_9967.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_9962.jpeg
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Oh, yeah! Love all the pics, especially the last one. Looks like you just found the cave in the cliffs, where an ancient treasure resides.

Glad you're putting the Fed to the test! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Thank you! The real treasure was all the Pinot Noir we tried at the different vineyards! :lol: The hat certainly feels far more lived in after this trip, has it’s own character now….i like to think it’s still Last Crusade looking but with it’s own twist to it.
IMG_9975.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
IMG_9973.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_9972.jpeg
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Last year in Palmyra, Syria:
Attachments
20221130_134248.jpg
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Sorry no pic, just a comment on the sturdiness of the Fed deluxe.
I went on trip to Warroad MN, and at one point I had to stuff into my CS back pack.
And when I took it out to wear, just a little adjustment and you’d never know it.

This is one tuff hat.

Croft :mrgreen:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Indiana Croft wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:36 pm Sorry no pic, just a comment on the sturdiness of the Fed deluxe.
I went on trip to Warroad MN, and at one point I had to stuff into my CS back pack.
And when I took it out to wear, just a little adjustment and you’d never know it.

This is one tuff hat.

Croft :mrgreen:
Stuffing it into the backpack is a very Indy thing to do. Glad to know the Fed can take it!

It really is THE adventure hat, I am still surprised by its water resistance. Whenever I expect heavier rain the Fed IV is my go to hat.

Cheers,
Bear
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

Part of my tax return this year is gonna be sent to Australia, if'n ya know whut I mean...

:TOH: :D
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Haven't posted here since 2008. Seems I caught the bug again. In any case, I thought it would be interesting to share recent images of the Fed IV I got back then. When I ordered the Fed, the Fed III was the current offering, but I received an e-mail saying a new Fed IV was being released and was given the opportunity to wait for the new one, which I did. So, this is a very early model Fed IV and does not include the 'IV' in the foil stamp on the sweatband.

All in all, it's held up extremely well. I'm not sure if they've adapted the block at all to be straighter in the back and front or if mine has collapsed in a bit. I do seem to remember the original shape not being perfectly straight, but I have no early photos to compare these to unfortunately. Anyway, it's just a fun little exercise in nostalgia while I wait for my adVintage Harrison and HJ.
Attachments
Front
Front
Back
Back
Liner
Liner
Left
Left
Right
Right
Last edited by imagine671 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.