Alden Recraft by Nicks(?)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Alden Recraft by Nicks(?)

Post by IndianaJustin »

https://youtu.be/PhPOCOrqeo8

I find these kind of videos satisfying to watch. Also I'd never seen stichdown construction and the sewing of a moc toe.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Alden Recraft by Nicks(?)

Post by bearbeast »

Very cool, like PIMP My Ride for boots.

I've always find shoemaking (cordwaining?!) amazing. Even more so since I've started making leather things myself. Never ventured as far as trying to make my own boots, but it is definitely a dream of mine.

Thank you for sharing this.

Cheers,
Bear
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

They lost me when they added that raised ridge between the stitching.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

BossThreads wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:12 pm They lost me when they added that raised ridge between the stitching.
One thing they did was convert from Goodyear welt to stichdown construction. That was interesting. Perhaps that's what you are referring to? :-k
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I wish there was a good DIY tongue stitch video. I LOVE my new Aldens, but that tongue sliding all over the place? ](*,)
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Hollowpond wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:32 pm I wish there was a good DIY tongue stitch video. I LOVE my new Aldens, but that tongue sliding all over the place? ](*,)
Agreed. Mine doesn't slide too much but even the little bit that it does is annoying. :x
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

IndianaJustin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:10 pm
BossThreads wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:12 pm They lost me when they added that raised ridge between the stitching.
One thing they did was convert from Goodyear welt to stichdown construction. That was interesting. Perhaps that's what you are referring to? :-k
No, the moc toe stitching lies flat on Alden’s. They added a ridge in between the two rows of stitching.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

BossThreads wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:24 pm
No, the moc toe stitching lies flat on Alden’s. They added a ridge in between the two rows of stitching.
I understand what you mean. A lot of boot makers seem to use that method when making moc toes. The front of the boot is one piece of leather and a ridge is created to sew through. I get if you don't like it. Personally I have boots that have it and don't mind. Choices... :|
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

IndianaJustin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:56 pm
BossThreads wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:24 pm
I understand what you mean. A lot of boot makers seem to use that method when making moc toes. The front of the boot is one piece of leather and a ridge is created to sew through. I get if you don't like it. Personally I have boots that have it and don't mind. Choices... :|
I have close-enough boots with the ridge as well, but adding them to an Indy boot seems wrong to me. To each their own.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

IndianaJustin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:55 pm
Hollowpond wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:32 pm I wish there was a good DIY tongue stitch video. I LOVE my new Aldens, but that tongue sliding all over the place? ](*,)
Agreed. Mine doesn't slide too much but even the little bit that it does is annoying. :x
It didn't exist, so I had to invent it!!

viewtopic.php?t=74163

:TOH: