DoD bag strap

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

DoD bag strap

Post by Wade Egan »

Saw the film, enjoyed it. Missed the holster but lots of good shots of the strap and buckle. Hadn’t seen a thread on it yet so…

Have at it.
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: DoD bag strap

Post by sam »

Hey, Wade! My CS strap, gun belt, and modified holster you made for “back in the day” are doing well! To catch you up to speed, there has been some discussion elsewhere in other threads, but it’s great to see it get its own thread! I think we are all agreed in the general color and the fact that it has grooves. It seems to have a flat roller buckle. There has been discussion as to the color of the buckle. Is it the standard color we’re used to from TOD, LC, and KOTCS, or is it antique brass? Some think that when the costume was in display, the strap (which seems to have been a stunt strap or at least the strap used in the “Get Back” whip scene) seemed to be more of a brass color in pics. I think maybe others suspect that was simply the reflection of the jacket color or room. I would love to hear Makeitjones’ perspective after seeing the movie. We have a TON of respect for him around here! At one time he was offering both buckle options but seems to be pretty committed to the antique brass now, though I am sure he would offer both if asked. In fact, he offers extra buckles I think a lot of us would love to see high res movie photos of the buckle.
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Well I had to see the film to check if the production team had used any of the steel strap buckles they bought from me to verify if the Hero strap buckle was different to the D23 mannequin (which definitely has a cast brass buckle and a press stud on the strap so it's the one from Hotel L'Atlantique scenes).

The shots of the D23 are under bright lights so the brass is shiny looking. The one on the Hero strap has a really dulled tone so it wasn't possible to tell from the production shots if it was dulled brass or dulled steel.

Kept an eagle eye out at both showings and could see the Hero strap is also cast brass - so they hadn't used any of my steel buckles (although think the gas mask bag they bought off me is the Hotel L'Atlantique one).

I've worked out dulling the brass to the same look so stocked up on cast brass for DOD straps now and if anyone already has a steel one from me they can buy brass and swap over (or buy whatever buckle you like).

'Get back' is definitely catchier than 'Hotel L'Atlantique' so I'm having that name!
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

makeitjones wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:32 am Well I had to see the film to check if the production team had used any of the steel strap buckles they bought from me to verify if the Hero strap buckle was different to the D23 mannequin (which definitely has a cast brass buckle and a press stud on the strap so it's the one from Hotel L'Atlantique scenes).

The shots of the D23 are under bright lights so the brass is shiny looking. The one on the Hero strap has a really dulled tone so it wasn't possible to tell from the production shots if it was dulled brass or dulled steel.

Kept an eagle eye out at both showings and could see the Hero strap is also cast brass - so they hadn't used any of my steel buckles (although think the gas mask bag they bought off me is the Hotel L'Atlantique one).

I've worked out dulling the brass to the same look so stocked up on cast brass for DOD straps now and if anyone already has a steel one from me they can buy brass and swap over (or buy whatever buckle you like).

'Get back' is definitely catchier than 'Hotel L'Atlantique' so I'm having that name!
Very cool, Makeitjones! So glad to hear your perspective! I still think it is fantastic that the hotel bag may be the one you sold them! So, I have a funny story to share...I showed my wife both buckles and then the photos from behind the scenes and the display, asking her which one she thought it was. She saw the brass as well...and then added that it matched the buttons on the bag better than the steel ones! :rolling: I don’t know if I had thought of that! Too funny! By the way, I’m glad you like the “Get back” name! I think I had seen someone else use that here.
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

brass.png
Old school cast brass hardware on the strap buckle - not the stamped steel type with a brass overlay.
"You can tell by the cross section..."
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

makeitjones wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:52 pm brass.png
Old school cast brass hardware on the strap buckle - not the stamped steel type with a brass overlay.
"You can tell by the cross section..."
Very nice! Thanks so much for posting this! We wife will be pleased!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

It’s definitely stitch grooved, not creased. Sharper.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Wade Egan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:11 pm It’s definitely stitch grooved, not creased. Sharper.
The Destiny strap? That’s totally creased.
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Stitch groove tool vs edge crease tool.
One cuts out a groove, the other makes an indent.