Watch bands for rugged watches with a period vibe

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Watch bands for rugged watches with a period vibe

Post by Rob »

I know we have some 'watch people' here, and people who like wearing watches with a rugged vibe in general.

Particularly as there was never an official Indy watch until the recent Hamilton (which is his Dad's in the lore and is both bigger than the period watch it's based on and, as a quartz watch, isn't the kind of movement his Dad's watch would have had, yada, yada), I know people have long worn their own watches of the kind Indy might have worn, or which just evoke adventure for them.

I felt the latter way when I first got my Tudor Heritage Ranger (sadly an out of production watch, although Tudor makes a smaller, and slightly different Ranger model these days), but I was never happy with the bands I tried on it. The vintage bracelet it came with went immediately, but I never came across anything that really said, "We're on an adventure..." until now.

The company in question is Haveston and in particular its canvas series (https://www.haveston.com/10-corp-canvas-series) which it says is inspired by vintage 1940s military issue straps, uniforms and web equipment. And I think the results on my watch, and the feel of the strap in general, is really good. It's way softer than any other canvas strap I have tried. Ridiculously so.

Mine is the M-1918C based on the shade ref. OD No.9 found in US field equipment in 1915-1942 service. Hope these straps are of use to any of you who want a tough strap on your watch that isn't a straight replica of something period, but which absolutely has the vibe and character of the past, so that it would blend with costuming or just that kind of look in general if it's your jam.

Image Image Image
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Watch bands for rugged watches with a period vibe

Post by bearbeast »

Beautiful time-piece, Rob!

For the bands I prefer metal. Easier to wash after a sweaty hike, you can easily swim with it, or take a shower. :-k

Cheers,
Bear
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

bearbeast wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:49 am Beautiful time-piece, Rob!

For the bands I prefer metal. Easier to wash after a sweaty hike, you can easily swim with it, or take a shower. :-k
Thank you! It's one of the top two watches in my collection. I absolutely love it. Field watches, in general, speak to me. No nonsense.

Re: the band, the one I removed had straight end links, for a vintage vibe, but the overall look just wasn't doing it for me. Stock photo below.

The model also came on an optional leather bund which I should have got. Genuine Tudor replacement prices are off the charts. Stock photo below.

Image Image
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

For sure the canvas strap gives off a nice vintage look, great choice. That OG leather band also looks amazing! :shock:
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Great looking watch Rob and very nice combo with the canvas strap. I'm always on the lookout for good canvas straps. I personally prefer the sizing of the newest Ranger model, but yours is also excellent.

In regards to an in-universe watch Indy would wear during his life, travels, adventures, etc., I own a few options that I think work:

Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, Longines Evidenza Big Date, Laco Beobachtungsuhren Type B (he took it from a Nazi pilot, lol).
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Rob wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:17 am I know we have some 'watch people' here, and people who like wearing watches with a rugged vibe in general.

Particularly as there was never an official Indy watch until the recent Hamilton (which is his Dad's in the lore and is both bigger than the period watch it's based on and, as a quartz watch, isn't the kind of movement his Dad's watch would have had, yada, yada), I know people have long worn their own watches of the kind Indy might have worn, or which just evoke adventure for them.

I felt the latter way when I first got my Tudor Heritage Ranger (sadly an out of production watch, although Tudor makes a smaller, and slightly different Ranger model these days), but I was never happy with the bands I tried on it. The vintage bracelet it came with went immediately, but I never came across anything that really said, "We're on an adventure..." until now.

The company in question is Haveston and in particular its canvas series (https://www.haveston.com/10-corp-canvas-series) which it says is inspired by vintage 1940s military issue straps, uniforms and web equipment. And I think the results on my watch, and the feel of the strap in general, is really good. It's way softer than any other canvas strap I have tried. Ridiculously so.

Mine is the M-1918C based on the shade ref. OD No.9 found in US field equipment in 1915-1942 service. Hope these straps are of use to any of you who want a tough strap on your watch that isn't a straight replica of something period, but which absolutely has the vibe and character of the past, so that it would blend with costuming or just that kind of look in general if it's your jam.

Image Image Image
Thanks for this reference! :TOH:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

marker2037 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:21 am Great looking watch Rob and very nice combo with the canvas strap. I'm always on the lookout for good canvas straps. I personally prefer the sizing of the newest Ranger model, but yours is also excellent.

In regards to an in-universe watch Indy would wear during his life, travels, adventures, etc., I own a few options that I think work:

Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical, Longines Evidenza Big Date, Laco Beobachtungsuhren Type B (he took it from a Nazi pilot, lol).
Cheers! Canvas can be so hit and miss. I had a canvas sailcoth kind of band that would barely bend - horrible! This one, meanwhile, is very soft. Good price, at under $30, too.

Re: brands, part of me sees him with European watch brands to reflect that kind of international experience and travel he reflects, but there's also that 'all-American' vibe to Indy's character, so even something like an A-11 from Bulova (although the spec was made by multiple brands), might make sense for WW2 and beyond, before he takes to wearing Connery's watch in DoD.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I hope this doesn't spoil anything....

I think he's wearing Dad's watch because he was teaching when all the stuff started happening and he never went back to his apartment, Sallah did. I'm thinking he'd have a different watch for the field.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

IndianaJustin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:58 pmI think he's wearing Dad's watch because he was teaching when all the stuff started happening and he never went back to his apartment, Sallah did. I'm thinking he'd have a different watch for the field.
That makes a lot of sense, as it's certainly not a field watch. A nice detail to pick up on there. I still wish we'd had an official Indy field watch over the years.