For those with experience with both satin and cotton linings..

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

For those with experience with both satin and cotton linings..

Post by SFGiant »

What have you found that you prefer?

My wested is my first jacket with a cotton lining. My previous jacket I can slip on and it feels "cool" against my body and arms. But for some reason I never really liked them. With this cotton jacket, I noticed it kind of..has an itchiness? Hard to describe. But maybe it's because it's so hot out lately in California.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: For those with experience with both satin and cotton linings..

Post by lantzn »

Maybe you’re allergic to something in the liner. Material or treatment. I love cotton even in hot weather.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

lantzn wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:17 am Maybe you’re allergic to something in the liner. Material or treatment. I love cotton even in hot weather.
Never been allergic to cotton, but it feels a bit stiffer than t-shirt cotton. I will keep wearing it just to see.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Not sure what the Wested cotton is like these days, but the old one I got second hand does feel like it may have been a bit coarse before it was broken in. But not all cotton is equal. Try it on a cooler day. If it feels less itchy, I would recommend avoiding the warmer weather until you've broken it in nicely.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

If it's of any use to anyone here, at BK's in the beginning we used a 100% cotton fabric from Robert Kaufman (https://www.robertkaufman.com/) which was very good quality but except of being coarse its major disadvantage was that it wasn't easy to get your arms in and out of the sleeves. We soon realized that cotton silesia that Wested was using was the absolute best choice for cotton and as its made in a way that it's slippery so that one can wear the sleeves without any trouble at all. We have switched to cotton silesia ever since and are totally happy. It's soft, warm, not stiff at all, no itching and no complains from anybody.

FYI we have tried various kinds of cottons and are currently using cotton fabrics from a bunch of manufacturers for our other jackets. In fact, each color we use comes from a different maker and I can tell you that so far we have not found any fabric that behaves better than cotton silesia.

Of course, nothing beats the slippery sleeves of synthetic material like nylon, polyester and the like but the drawback is it can be cold till it gets your body's temperature.

If you prefer cotton my advise would be to go for cotton silesia, if it's available at your favorite maker. Otherwise synthetic will also serve you well.

I would only like to warn against poly-cotton. It doesn't feel nice to the touch.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

afalzon wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:49 pm If it's of any use to anyone here, at BK's in the beginning we used a 100% cotton fabric from Robert Kaufman (https://www.robertkaufman.com/) which was very good quality but except of being coarse its major disadvantage was that it wasn't easy to get your arms in and out of the sleeves. We soon realized that cotton silesia that Wested was using was the absolute best choice for cotton and as its made in a way that it's slippery so that one can wear the sleeves without any trouble at all. We have switched to cotton silesia ever since and are totally happy. It's soft, warm, not stiff at all, no itching and no complains from anybody.

FYI we have tried various kinds of cottons and are currently using cotton fabrics from a bunch of manufacturers for our other jackets. In fact, each color we use comes from a different maker and I can tell you that so far we have not found any fabric that behaves better than cotton silesia.

Of course, nothing beats the slippery sleeves of synthetic material like nylon, polyester and the like but the drawback is it can be cold till it gets your body's temperature.

If you prefer cotton my advise would be to go for cotton silesia, if it's available at your favorite maker. Otherwise synthetic will also serve you well.

I would only like to warn against poly-cotton. It doesn't feel nice to the touch.
Very cool thank you. I love all your lining options.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

SFGiant wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:16 pm What have you found that you prefer?

My wested is my first jacket with a cotton lining. My previous jacket I can slip on and it feels "cool" against my body and arms. But for some reason I never really liked them. With this cotton jacket, I noticed it kind of..has an itchiness? Hard to describe. But maybe it's because it's so hot out lately in California.
Only satin liners for me moving forward. Particularly on snug fitting 'adventure' jackets that need to flow with your body. not restrict or cling to your clothes. satin or nylon linings also facilitate a better drape. Cotton for a practical real world fall/winter coat but for these ...satin only for this cowboy.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Out of the 4 Indy jackets I own, I bought one, the Wested Legacy LC, with satin sleeves and never again. I don't like them at all. Cotton all day, every day.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, I typically wear my jackets with a t-shirt and I hate the way satin sleeves cling to your arms the second you begin to sweat. Much rather go through the added challenge of getting my arms in the sleeves on the odd occasion when I'm wearing long sleeves. Cotton sleeves all the way.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I love cotton lining with satin sleeves. I have it in all my jackets. I wear long sleeves exclusively and it makes both putting on the jacket and moving in it easier.

For short sleeves I guess cotton would be better for sure.

Cheers,
Bear