So - who made the Screen used jackets for DOD?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

So - who made the Screen used jackets for DOD?

Post by WConly »

If this is already addressed and I have failed to discover it -- sorry, but I am still curious as to who manufactured the DOD Screen used jackets? W>
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: So - who made the Screen used jackets for DOD?

Post by IJJTM »

All we know is that it was apparently made in house, which could be a myriad of answers.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

It was made by the production costume dept, almost certainly based on a Wested they got a hold of and tweaked to suit their needs.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Thanks! I somehow missed this and for some reason it hit me again, today and started knawing at me! Again, thanks ;) ! W>
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Yea, I think it's obvious that the jacket was based off of a Wested, just made in house by the costume department themselves. Wested did a great job of recreating the production's recreation of a Wested! :lol:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That is some westedception right there. Copying a design that was copied after their design... :rolling:

Bear
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Credit needs to be given to Wested now for the DoD jacket since for years (decades?) they were putting out jackets with COAs "using the same patterns" that nowhere matched the screen-used jackets.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I remember somebody on this forum two years ago said they'd sold their old Wested on Ebay to someone from Pinewood studios.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I remember that, but since Disney has its own in-house costume facility, I doubt that sale would factor into the equation, especially since Disney has to the entire LFL archives and racks of screen used pieces to work from. Why purchase something from the outside? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Pretty sure that info is in this post here.

viewtopic.php?t=71828

posted in 2021.....
"While I am allowed to disclose my source, a few months ago a Wested Raider’s jacket was bought on eBay by Pinewood Studios, it stands to reason this jacket may have been used by a possible prototype."
Michaelson wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:33 am I remember that, but since Disney has its own in-house costume facility, I doubt that sale would factor into the equation, especially since Disney has to the entire LFL archives and racks of screen used pieces to work from. Why purchase something from the outside? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Very good question, it doesn't make sense does it?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Michaelson wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:33 am I remember that, but since Disney has its own in-house costume facility, I doubt that sale would factor into the equation, especially since Disney has to the entire LFL archives and racks of screen used pieces to work from. Why purchase something from the outside? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Well they obviously did otherwise the jackets in DoD would be closer in accuracy to the trilogy movies, instead OTR Westeds from the 00s.
Wherever you make the movie is where the costumes are made. ( Pinewood Studios is in the UK ). Skull was made in the USA, therefore the costume was all made there. Just follow the logic of the process. One might wonder why the Skull jacket was based on a DIsney parks jacket, instead of an archive jacket.

I think the fact of the matter is that the prestige of who makes the Hats is greater than who makes the jacket. To people who aren't obsessive fans it's just a brown leather jacket based on the A2. If the film makers believe that Wested did make the jackets for the movies, all they had to do was get hold of a wested jacket. Which is pretty easy to do.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well the simplest answer would be deconstruction. The original pieces are in a much more fragile state nowadays and besides, disassembling a piece that is worth considerable sums at auction isn't the smartest move. Costume design and manufacture are very different trades, along with tailoring, etc. It's not at all unusual for costume designers to pull something OTR and use it as the base for the design. And it's clear they didn't want to rehash Tony's design. I could totally imagine Joanna Johnston saying "eff-it, just get one of those and work from there." Especially since she was familiar with it from LC and didn't work on CS.

And the other thing to consider is that pre-production was in the middle of Covid. It may have been simpler to order a Wested size 42 and ship it to Ford and have a Disney tailor/designer meet him in Wyoming and chalk out the necessary adjustments etc, ship it back to the costume team and have them whip up new copies. I have a friend who worked on the Mission Impossible movies through lockdowns etc and it was a nightmare. Much of the costume fitting and stuff had to be done remotely, especially for the supporting cast, because they couldn't gather everybody together during production. Things had to be very much in place by the time you reached set and ready to go without hiccups because there wasn't any room to deal with issues or oversights. It was a logistics nightmare. It's just so much easier to take an example and say "make thirty of this and make these adjustments" than to try to build from scratch.

You have to admit, the body and fit does very much look like a Wested standard albeit seemingly better constructed with thicker thread etc.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:09 pm ........

And the other thing to consider is that pre-production was in the middle of Covid. It may have been simpler to order a Wested size 42 and ship it to Ford and have a Disney tailor/designer meet him in Wyoming and chalk out the necessary adjustments etc, ship it back to the costume team and have them whip up new copies. I have a friend who worked on the Mission Impossible movies through lockdowns etc and it was a nightmare. Much of the costume fitting and stuff had to be done remotely, especially for the supporting cast, because they couldn't gather everybody together during production. Things had to be very much in place by the time you reached set and ready to go without hiccups because there wasn't any room to deal with issues or oversights. It was a logistics nightmare. It's just so much easier to take an example and say "make thirty of this and make these adjustments" than to try to build from scratch......
Good point, I forgot about covid (I know, forgot about covid!?)