DOD hat is in a new color!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

DOD hat is in a new color!

Post by darthjones2 »

This is cool. I wondered about this but HJ calls it "nutmeg" brown:

https://herbertjohnson.co.uk/products/d ... meg-rabbit
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: DOD hat is in a new color!

Post by WConly »

It is a cool color! To me the finish on the screen hat looks really good and, in my eyes -- beaver. Thus, I am a bit surprised that their offering for the public is rabbit! But, that's just how I'm seeing it in pic and clips -- could be rabbit. Either way, I do like the offering! W>
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

I'm pretty certain it is rabbit. The way it crumples in the rain and the fact that all other HJ hats in all of the other films were rabbit, etc.

And the rabbit finish on HJ is pretty good - I have one of their rabbit Raiders hats and it looks great!
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Sorry to the beaver owners, but the beaver hat never looked right.

Would deep sable still be accurate for the earlier movies?
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well at least they're confirming my suspicion the past two years that the felt and the ribbon are different from the "traditional" colors.

But beaver felt has become extremely expensive of late. If you notice, HJ isn't offering beaver on any of their Indy hats ATM. The film hat could be beaver, but they're not offering it to the public right now. And honestly, you'd probably shudder at the price tag if they did.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

All hatters I talk to are short of beaver currently. They get it from Portugal I think who gets it from Ukraine or so. Something like that.

And I have the new ribbon here and, while it is the same color as the old one, the weave of the ribbon is bigger. Does that make sense? Will try to get a picture later. So it reads differently in the light.

If the color is different it is by so very little. The new ribbion just looks a touch shinier maybe to me.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

SFGiant wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 pm Sorry to the beaver owners, but the beaver hat never looked right.

What didn't look "right" to you about the CS hat?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I wouldn't say it didn't look right, but it definitely looked nicer than his hats in all the other movies. Probably because...it was nicer than his hats in all the other movies. lol

I think it was a tad distracting to me as a gearhead just how much nicer it was. But it never seemed out of place.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

indy89 wrote:
SFGiant wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:38 pm Sorry to the beaver owners, but the beaver hat never looked right.

For me it’s too boxy and too unyielding, the felt lacks character if that makes sense, it always looks ‘new’. Despite what I feel is the general consensus on tapering - tapering bad, stove pipe/mushrooming good - a lot of faces really need some degree of taper and the CS hat has a very full and boxy shape with zero taper. I think it was too full for HF himself tbh.

I wear a Steve Delk AB regularly in the winter that has mellowed with time and has some taper and looks good - but it is 10+ years old.

The CS shape is a lot of hat and despite wearing my AB Deluxe for months in a wet climate it taking rain and snow it looks the same. Which is fantastic but it has yet to ‘settle in’ and I don’t feel it is ‘my’ hat so I never wear it.

They are both beautiful hats, very well made. The AB Deluxe felt is exceptional, I have never come across anything like it but it’s too good and if you don’t like the crown it presumably takes a lot to get it to taper/break in.

Anecdotally I struggle to pick out a Delk AB in CS, they all look like AB Deluxe’s. I’ve always wondered how they both had screen used hats as the colour is different and so is the felt and so is the treatment. Both have entirely different textures.

Gerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

I think I do recall it being said out here that the CS felt was the same for both Marc and Steve in the movie. They arranged for this.

Re: DoD - does anyone have a pic. of the new Nutmeg colored hat next to a prior HJ? That would be interesting.
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

The Aviator wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:39 pm
indy89 wrote:

For me it’s too boxy and too unyielding, the felt lacks character if that makes sense, it always looks ‘new’. Despite what I feel is the general consensus on tapering - tapering bad, stove pipe/mushrooming good - a lot of faces really need some degree of taper and the CS hat has a very full and boxy shape with zero taper. I think it was too full for HF himself tbh.

I wear a Steve Delk AB regularly in the winter that has mellowed with time and has some taper and looks good - but it is 10+ years old.

The CS shape is a lot of hat and despite wearing my AB Deluxe for months in a wet climate it taking rain and snow it looks the same. Which is fantastic but it has yet to ‘settle in’ and I don’t feel it is ‘my’ hat so I never wear it.

They are both beautiful hats, very well made. The AB Deluxe felt is exceptional, I have never come across anything like it but it’s too good and if you don’t like the crown it presumably takes a lot to get it to taper/break in.

Anecdotally I struggle to pick out a Delk AB in CS, they all look like AB Deluxe’s. I’ve always wondered how they both had screen used hats as the colour is different and so is the felt and so is the treatment. Both have entirely different textures.

Gerry

I am so glad to see these comments. I agree, the hat just looked too new in CS. It didn't look natural. It always looked like way too nice of a hat for an adventuring, no frills college professor. I have a ton of custom beaver hats and honestly I like the way my Fed IVs look, handle and how the felt behaves better.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

indy89 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:47 am

I believe it was the beaver felt
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

rogera wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:29 pm
The Aviator wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:39 pm
indy89 wrote:

Gerry

I am so glad to see these comments. I agree, the hat just looked too new in CS. It didn't look natural. It always looked like way too nice of a hat for an adventuring, no frills college professor. I have a ton of custom beaver hats and honestly I like the way my Fed IVs look, handle and how the felt behaves better.
To be fair, even Indy has to get his gear spruced up every once in a while. So a new or reblocked and cleaned hat is definitely something that Indy would do in-universe.

With that said, I also never really liked the CS hat design. It's my least favorite outside of the odd looking version used in the plane scene in ToD.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

SFGiant wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:03 am
indy89 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:47 am

I believe it was the beaver felt
#-o
HenriDefense
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by HenriDefense »

I think the CS fedora looks good during the opening at the warehouse and the Nuke Town escape afterward. After that though, I would agree that it does look a bit different. I don't know if I would say it looked too new, though. I recall Adventurebilt originally provided a Raiders style fedora during their pitch to produce the hat for the movie and it almost cost them as Spielberg and co. were looking for something more resembling LC to keep with the consistency of the series. They eventually crafted a LC style pinch on a fedora that fit the specs of the Raiders hat. Perhaps this is why it looks odd to some. This is just what I recall from reading up on the story behind it, so I apologize if any details are off.

I do really like the look and color of the DOD hat. I think it plays into the age of the hat nicely. :TOH:
Parttimeteacher
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Parttimeteacher »

HenriDefense wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 pm I recall Adventurebilt originally provided a Raiders style fedora during their pitch to produce the hat for the movie and it almost cost them as Spielberg and co. were looking for something more resembling LC to keep with the consistency of the series.
I remember something along those lines, too. They made a, pretty much, exact replica of the Raiders hat and it was rejected because it looked like a "caricature" of the Indiana Jones hat. Smh.
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

HenriDefense wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 pm I think the CS fedora looks good during the opening at the warehouse and the Nuke Town escape afterward. After that though, I would agree that it does look a bit different.
Almost as if it had to be thoroughly and vigorously cleaned (like Indy) due to its exposure to radiation, and subsequently reblocked/bashed. ;)

If it wasnt outright destroyed and replaced, which is sometimes necessary depending on radiation levels. :-k

Hope you dont2 mind the gentle ribbing. :D
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

HenriDefense wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 pm I think the CS fedora looks good during the opening at the warehouse and the Nuke Town escape afterward. After that though, I would agree that it does look a bit different. I don't know if I would say it looked too new, though. I recall Adventurebilt originally provided a Raiders style fedora during their pitch to produce the hat for the movie and it almost cost them as Spielberg and co. were looking for something more resembling LC to keep with the consistency of the series. They eventually crafted a LC style pinch on a fedora that fit the specs of the Raiders hat. Perhaps this is why it looks odd to some. This is just what I recall from reading up on the story behind it, so I apologize if any details are off.

I do really like the look and color of the DOD hat. I think it plays into the age of the hat nicely. :TOH:
I don't know! Too me each hat has its own personality and each, in its own way fits the film it shows up in. Heck we could and have, many times, made the same comments regarding the movie jackets too! Truthfully considering how much the hats change from scene-to-scene in the films, everything is kind of up for grabs regarding which is better, and which is weaker! I like 'um all, overall!
Though I will say this the hat changes the least in DOD! W>
HenriDefense
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by HenriDefense »

I totally agree. There is something about each hat that I love. There really isn't one that holds the top place over the others. The Raiders fedora is iconic, I love the thick pinch of Temple (especially during the Village scene) and the width of the hat, Crusade is a perfect blend of the two previous hats with the best qualities of each, CS has a more refined look of it on the dimensions of the Raiders hat, and DoD perfects that accumulation of characteristics.