The Homburg connection

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The Homburg connection

Post by 3thoubucks »

There's this fresh looking Brooks Brothers HJ black HOMBURG been on eBay for 6 months. It had a price drop and I got it. Never got into the Toht hat, but I always thought it was a Homburg. It has a ribbon on the brim edge 1/8 wide on top, 1/2 inch on the bottom, same as the movie hat. So I feel sure it was a Homburg. (A ribbon bound fedora brim is as wide on top as on bottom.) I thought I could pop it into a flatter brim, but I'd have to try and iron it. It's a tight fit. I would have to have a looser one to make the Toht hat, so I'm going to leave it alone. It does have a 2 1/2 inch brim and 5 1/2 open crown, with a typical Raiders block shape. I studied Toht's hat, It seems to have a tightened ribbon and the bow is the same as Raiders and is moved forward. My favorite Raiders hat I wear is a HJ that was a brown Homburg I reblocked, that didn't have a bound edge but a Homburg brim blocking. You know that weird top bash the Hawaii hat has for a moment and the bash the Toht hat has at Omar's when it seems there's no one in it? Those bashes both look like Homburg bashes to me. Homburg bashes are steamed or stamped in and the felt remembers.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: The Homburg connection

Post by 3thoubucks »

Went ahead and tried to iron the brim. No possible way. HJ sells a Thot hat called the Major. Same ribbon but on a fedora.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: The Homburg connection

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Oof, somewhere an Avengers gearhead is dying... ;) :lol: