Wested Destiny Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Destiny Jacket

Post by fifthchamber »

It weathered REALLY easily....All you'd need is a brillo pad and you'd be fine..

It's a great leather, even new, it was a good looking skin, and with just a couple of days like that, it was easy to see where the distressing would be naturally, so I tried to follow that, as well as looking at the Indy pics to try and follow those as well....It's one of my favourite jackets now!
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Hi guys, I need help and advice. For Wested Destiny Jacket the fit is more like Raiders or LC? I ask it to know what back length to choose. My LC wested fits me well in 26" and for Raiders 25". From what I have read in comments and see in photos, it's more the body pattern and back length of the Raiders. I'm right?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

IndyAl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:43 am Hi guys, I need help and advice. For Wested Destiny Jacket the fit is more like Raiders or LC? I ask it to know what back length to choose. My LC wested fits me well in 26" and for Raiders 25". From what I have read in comments and see in photos, it's more the body pattern and back length of the Raiders. I'm right?

Yes- the pattern is the standard Raiders. Someone else will chime in, I’m sure with the suggested back length…
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yes it fits like the standard Raiders more or less. The collar is a bit different though. Here's my Destiny jacket:
Attachments
Wested Destiny Jacket, Undistressed
Wested Destiny Jacket, Undistressed
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Thanks for yours comments! The things I see a lot difference between the Wested Raiders and the Destiny jacket is the drop in the shoulders, the Raiders is usually straighter than the Destiny jacket screen accurate. If you look at the photos of HF in Destiny, the shoulder drop isn't quite as straight, it's more like LC. The front pockets of the Wested Destiny are completely wrong. Very large, too displaced compared to the one in the film.
Last edited by IndyAl on Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

It's a good sign, another is that the pockets on the Wested Destiny aren't right, too big compared to the Screen Destiny. I thought about buying one, but seeing this great difference in size and displacement of front pockets, I have opted for NO.
Wested is supposed to have professionals to figure out those details. It is the first thing we look at: drop shoulders, neck and front pockets. Well more or less the first two things, big mistake the third (pockets). Obvious.
Holt wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:22 am Having owned way to many jackets and worked with wested since 2007, in the good old days with Peter Botwright. I can tell that they used the good old red/purple Tex-40 sewing thread on their Destiny replica whilst the screen ued one has a brown thicker more sturdy sewing thread. I would imagie that if they did make the film jakcets they would have used thier standard Tex-40 thread. Meaning, they did not make the film jacket based on the sewing thread theory. I dont know, just throwing it out there. :TOH:

Indiana Jim
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Indiana Jim »

Is the Wested Destiny Jacket worth getting? I currently have the Raiders Legacy Hero and another the 'Standard Hero Raiders' which are both amazing jackets!
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

My humble opinion, absolutely NO. The leather seems to be correct, maybe too thick. But the construction of the pockets and the drop of the shoulders are not correct. Compare the pockets of the wested Destiny and the screen one, the Wested pockets are exaggeratedly large and are not located correctly. Jacket by HF the pockets are aesthetically small and proportioned. In Wested they have made it too big!
Compare the pockets with those received by Wested customers. The prototype of the web seems more faithful to the one of HF, but the views in the unboxing on youtube and those published here aren't correct at all.
The fall of the shoulders isn't correct either, but it is a detail that is less appreciated than the big pockets. It's the reason that makes me rule out Wested destiny jacket.
Compare the pockets, please:

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Indiana Jim wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:47 pm Is the Wested Destiny Jacket worth getting? I currently have the Raiders Legacy Hero and another the 'Standard Hero Raiders' which are both amazing jackets!
I would absolutely say yes, well worth it. I think it's one of my favorite leathers they've put out. Easiy to give it character real quickly, super fast break in, and really a close feel and look to Bill Kelso's striated lamb, albeit a tad thicker.

I don't agree with @IndyAl's opinion above though. If you want to get more shoulder drop like these photos suggest, get a larger size (or your normal size as these tend to run on the larger size based on the size chart). The jacket Harrison is wearing in these photos looks one size too big for him all around and we don't even know that this was "his" jacket in filming. This could have been a stunt jacket he threw on during a break for all we know. In my opinion, the jacket does not look nearly as large or with that much shoulder drop in the film when compared to these photos.

I actually sized down on the jacket as I wanted a smarter fit on this one and I'm very happy with the results. I think @ChosePoorly did the same thing and he looks terrific in his photos.
Indiana Jim
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Indiana Jim »

marker2037 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:10 am
Indiana Jim wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:47 pm Is the Wested Destiny Jacket worth getting? I currently have the Raiders Legacy Hero and another the 'Standard Hero Raiders' which are both amazing jackets!
I would absolutely say yes, well worth it. I think it's one of my favorite leathers they've put out. Easiy to give it character real quickly, super fast break in, and really a close feel and look to Bill Kelso's striated lamb, albeit a tad thicker.

I don't agree with @IndyAl's opinion above though. If you want to get more shoulder drop like these photos suggest, get a larger size (or your normal size as these tend to run on the larger size based on the size chart). The jacket Harrison is wearing in these photos looks one size too big for him all around and we don't even know that this was "his" jacket in filming. This could have been a stunt jacket he threw on during a break for all we know. In my opinion, the jacket does not look nearly as large or with that much shoulder drop in the film when compared to these photos.

I actually sized down on the jacket as I wanted a smarter fit on this one and I'm very happy with the results. I think @ChosePoorly did the same thing and he looks terrific in his photos.
Thank you both for your opinions it's really appreciated! :TOH:

Think I'm going to consider it a the moment, I'm just putting the finishing touches on my raiders outfit after a long hiatus but I was going to move on to getting the DOD outfit and get that ready.

The wested jacket looks amazing but maybe with a bit of messing around I can make it look like a screen accurate version. Just need to bite the bullet now and go for the purchase :lol:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Mine is already starting to look the part and I have only done minor work with it! By the time fall gets here - it should be good to go! I really like this leather! Great color and superb texture! It truly does look like the screen jackets without that much work! W>
mwells
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mwells »

I am wanting to order one of the new dial of destiny jackets what’s the info on the screen used jacket? Does it have the x stitching and does anyone know what liner was used all cotton etc? And are there gussets on the screen used jacket?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

mwells wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:10 pm I am wanting to order one of the new dial of destiny jackets what’s the info on the screen used jacket? Does it have the x stitching and does anyone know what liner was used all cotton etc? And are there gussets on the screen used jacket?
I'm not sure anyone has studied it closely enough yet for a lot of the small details, but in regards to gussets, I assume you mean underarm gussets, which I doubt the jacket would have since none of them have ever had underarm gussets.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

marker2037 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:23 am
mwells wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:10 pm I am wanting to order one of the new dial of destiny jackets what’s the info on the screen used jacket? Does it have the x stitching and does anyone know what liner was used all cotton etc? And are there gussets on the screen used jacket?
I'm not sure anyone has studied it closely enough yet for a lot of the small details, but in regards to gussets, I assume you mean underarm gussets, which I doubt the jacket would have since none of them have ever had underarm gussets.
Are you certain about this? I thought that the 'Raiders' jacket did have the underarm gussets. W>
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Hello, I hope you understand me. I'm not saying that the Wested product is not a good choice. Wested is quality, without a doubt. But the Destiny jacket isn't screen faithful in highly visible ways. The drop of the shoulders, due to the width of the pattern, this is not correct. HF wears a jacket that fits him perfectly, it's not a size too big, but in that part, like many pilot jacket models from the 70s and 80s, the shoulders are wide and t o down. You only have to look at the images of the film to see it.
I also see Wested's neck too resized, and since the leather is very thick, it looks "strange" and raised. The Wested Destiny jacket that I have seen is the most correct one from Chose Poorly that one has adjusted the proportions well (https://i.imgur.com/kGB2fTS.jpeg right jacket is Wested). But the other views have meant that for now, it is not a faithful choice to what is seen on the screen.

Honestly, the shoulders are something that I don't care about, that depends on the taste personal of the fit. But Wested's front pockets that the movie poster fits in... no, I'm sorry.
If I trusted the Chose Poorly's jacket, I'd buy it. But it is that it is one among the rest of the views in unboxing and COW post, all this ones have the pockets are like huge Din A4 size bags.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

IndyAl wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:30 am Hello, I hope you understand me. I'm not saying that the Wested product is not a good choice. Wested is quality, without a doubt. But the Destiny jacket isn't screen faithful in highly visible ways. The drop of the shoulders, due to the width of the pattern, this is not correct. HF wears a jacket that fits him perfectly, it's not a size too big, but in that part, like many pilot jacket models from the 70s and 80s, the shoulders are wide and t o down.
People see the same things differently - we've learned that on this site many times over the years.

The costume photos on Harry to me showcase a jacket with classic, 1980's wide shoulders - which is intrinsic to the Indy jacket pattern. I would say the jacket is technically too big on Harry, but it is meant to be. It's a baggy fit. Shoulders in a fitted period jacket (I have owned many) would be be about 18 inches wide on a size 42. Indy's generally are well over 20 inches. If it were a prefect period fit, the seam would not hang over the shoulders like they do on Harry.

Also the pockets on Harry's movie jacket look large to me. Pretty close to the Wested version.