Accurate Indy shoulder bag replica for around $50?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Accurate Indy shoulder bag replica for around $50?

Post by SFGiant »

I was just going to place an order for a couple of Wested replicas and they've totally disappeared from their site.

So assuming they don't pop back up by the end of today (I have a deadline to place a 2nd order along with my jacket order), are there any alternatives? I know Magnoli makes one but it's out of my price range.

Thanks!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Accurate Indy shoulder bag replica for around $50?

Post by bearbeast »

Maybe this?

https://www.epicmilitaria.com/ww2-briti ... r-bag.html

Don't know the store, but you can check some reviews.

:-k
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, Canyon, great find, that bag looks really nice and well made. Zooming in the material looks quite dense. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

FYI the bag Canyon posted is not a MKVII bag. It's certainly close, but if you are looking for exact screen accuracy this isn't it.

Here's a link to the MKVII https://www.onlinemilitaria.com/product ... -original/

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Never mind. Scratch that... :CR: :[
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

They’re good finds though for sure

It does look pretty close doesn’t it? Maybe I should just wait for Wested to come back in stock. I would buy the original issue one wpg has but now I’m concerned about asbestos 🤷🏻‍♂️
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I understand you said Magnoli's is out of your price range, but is you are looking for around $50, his are $58 and you can get one with the modern interior design (that I think makes the bag much more useful) and you don't have to worry about dry rot, asbestos, etc. that can come with a vintage bag.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:07 pm I understand you said Magnoli's is out of your price range, but is you are looking for around $50, his are $58 and you can get one with the modern interior design (that I think makes the bag much more useful) and you don't have to worry about dry rot, asbestos, etc. that can come with a vintage bag.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Totally agree and would get but but shipping pushes it out for me :/

I had a Todd’s replica in 2008 or so. Hopefully I can find it by Halloween.

I also ordered Wested’s leather bag. (Which is why my price range is now limited 😅) Honestly I just wanted it because I like leather. But I think it could pass for a costume bag.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Fair enough. I carried a leather MKVII for nearly 10 years as my EDC and it patina-ed beautifully.

If you can't find your Todd's bag, the leather version will work just fine for cosplay. In fact, most people (myself included for a long time) think the satchel is leather. When I ordered my vintage bag in the mid-90's I was shocked/disappointed when it arrived in the mail. Not at all what I expected, "What's the metal disc on the side?" I immediate put my VHS copy of ROLA into the player and carefully watched the Street of Cairo scenes to confirm that what I got is what I should have. I then used the shoulder strap from an Eddie Bauer messenger bag as the strap for many, many years before replacing it with a more accurate, but still not SA, strap.

You can see the bags and straps I am talking about in this thread. viewtopic.php?p=797865&hilit=leather+bag#p797865

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

Indiana Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:50 pm Fair enough. I carried a leather MKVII for nearly 10 years as my EDC and it patina-ed beautifully.

If you can't find your Todd's bag, the leather version will work just fine for cosplay. In fact, most people (myself included for a long time) think the satchel is leather. When I ordered my vintage bag in the mid-90's I was shocked/disappointed when it arrived in the mail. Not at all what I expected, "What's the metal disc on the side?" I immediate put my VHS copy of ROLA into the player and carefully watched the Street of Cairo scenes to confirm that what I got is what I should have. I then used the shoulder strap from an Eddie Bauer messenger bag as the strap for many, many years before replacing it with a more accurate, but still not SA, strap.

You can see the bags and straps I am talking about in this thread. viewtopic.php?p=797865&hilit=leather+bag#p797865

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
lol I’ve definitely had those moments. I was surprised when I got a relics TNG commbadge, super tiny and painted like a rose copper gold.

I did order a couple of Wested straps so hopefully they’re SA at least?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

I think it depends how SA you want it. For me it would definitely be close enough. I think the buckle is all wrong, I think in Raiders at least a more angled roller buckle is used. Wested's is flat.

Don't take my word for it, I think you can find a million topics on COW about it. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I have one I can sell you if interested

Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Some for consideration. Needs a disc on the side but pretty solid bags.
https://www.uswings.com/product-categor ... ags-belts/

Regards! Michaelson
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

bearbeast wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:37 am I think it depends how SA you want it. For me it would definitely be close enough. I think the buckle is all wrong, I think in Raiders at least a more angled roller buckle is used. Wested's is flat.

Don't take my word for it, I think you can find a million topics on COW about it. :rolling:

Cheers,
Bear
Yeah I'm just noticing that today. I love my leather bag but now I really want something a bit more screen accurate especially the buckle. Apparently I can't replace the buckle (unless anyone knows how to undo these two metal rivet things?). The buckle has very round ends. The Raiders buckle should be like a triglide with the curve backwards.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Well, the Wested leather version seems to have quick-rivets on the strap. You would need to cut them and after that you can replace them with Chicago screws, or book screws (I only recommend doing this if you have some experience with DIY or leatherwork. Otherwise if you're not careful you will damage the leather strap). On a lot of straps and belts I make I only use book screws as they are easy to disassemble.

Cheers,
Bear
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I have a few original gas mask bags but was looking for one large enough to fit my macbook air. I found this one on US Wings site - larger than the indy bag but similar look although not screen accurate:
https://www.uswings.com/product/us-wing ... nture-bag/