Decided on a Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indycire
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Decided on a Bullwhip

Post by Indycire »

After searching through all the links i could find, looking at past posts in this section, and even checking ebay everyday, i think i decided. was looking into 10 ft at first now think im better off starting with an 8 ft for various reasons, one being i dont have much room to practice just going outside my house, xcept the golf course, but i dont wanna dodge getting hit by golf balls. i think im going to go with a David Bould 8 foot whip. will it make much difference if i get 8 plait or 12 plait? but this seems to be a good rooskin whip for what i can afford. ill know for sure what im getting in next 2 weeks when i finish saving up for it hehe. i think i definitly wanna go for the kangaroo over a cowhide though.

i read in a post in this section awhile back about an ECwhips budget Indy for $140, was this an old price and is that the one on the site for $190 now? I was looking into that but think i read he's not taking orders atm.

after that the jackets next most likely but ill save that for that section. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Does anyone have any opinions on the David Bould whips?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Personally, I haven't heard of him. As for a starter whip, an 8 foot is better than 10, but a 6 is actually better still. As I started with a 10 foot 2 years ago, but now I'm cracking our 6 footer more and more. It's easier, and you can do a LOT more with it (multiple cracking, slow and fast figure 8's are easier, etc). As for the plaiting, 12 is what the whips in the movie were, but 8 plait are more inexpensive.

If you're looking for a more starter, less expensive whip, I'd recommend a Lee Keppler whip.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I wish the Keppler came in brown instead of black...
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Yeah, they are black, not brown, but still good starter whips thou. Also being 8 plait cowhide, does make them a lot more inexpensive than a 12 plait roo ride whip. I've cracked a few Kepplers before (including a monsterous 15 footer... :shock: ) and they do crack nice. Color not withstanding, I'd still recommend these whips highly for someone on a budget regardless if it's going to be cracked or just placed on the gunbelt for show.

If you ever get to Disneyland and ride the Forbidden Eye ride (The Indy Ride) - you have to walk thru a display of Indy's office en route to the boarding area. In Indy's office, on display with various items/artifacts, is a Keppler whip! :wink:
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

My 1st roo hide whip was an 8foot 12plait David Bould whip. His whips are well made but are very light. That whip served me well for many years until I sold it to my friend to buy a morgan. I still ask my friend to let me borrow it every now and again.........for old time sake :cry: ........... 8)
-scott
Indycire
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indycire »

the David Bould rooskin whip will run me about $100 more then a keppler, but it looks more like an indy whip, atleast to me, since its not black and its rooskin instead of cowhide. Not only that but when i place my order i dont know if i can take the chance of waiting for a long period for it to arrive. the link for the david bould whips are listed where Sergei put the where to buy a whip list of links. i dont know how to paste a link yet and im at work so no time to look :P i did write an email to Lee to get info on ordering and i didnt get a respond. i do know though everyone recommends calling him. however i feel by time i would get it i could have saved for a more authentic looking indy whip, which is what im doing. is there a whip someone would reccomend for around $200 <this is including shiipping> other then the Bould whip im looking at.

Is the whip being light a bad thing?

also i tried to get an avatar and only get red X's for a pic, i tried rabbittooths page, afew of them all did it. anyone know why?

thx eric
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Indycire wrote:i did write an email to Lee to get info on ordering and i didnt get a respond. i do know though everyone recommends calling him. however i feel by time i would get it i could have saved for a more authentic looking indy whip, which is what im doing.
I don't think email is something Lee checks to often and I seem to recall reading that he's recently had computer problems. A call to him on how long it'd take might be a good idea. He might already have some whips in stock that he could send ya:
619-647-6744
is there a whip someone would reccomend for around $200 <this is including shiipping> .
You might try ebay. I've seen some decent whips go for around that price before.
Is the whip being light a bad thing? .
I've cracked some good light whips and some bad light whips. Mike Murphy's bullwhip was light weight but really easy to crack. I've cracked some lightweight whips which were a bit difficult to get a pop out of. I'd say it depends on the whip.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Depending on the lenght of the whip, you also may want to contact EC Whips (East Coast Whips) for a whip in maybe the $200-$300 range...
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sab04 »

My bould whip was light but was not floppy like a rope. It rolled out easily and cracked loud. ahh memories 8)
-scott
Indycire
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indycire »

guess im going to look a little more into it, the bould whip still seems to be the one im probaly going to get. i want a rooskin like i said and he makes a 8 ft 12 plait for about $210-$220 i think. this is including the shipping so the whips about 180 and shipping from Australia in 4-5 days is $30. i have to check the email i wrote and recieved back with all the info. thanks for the suggestions, and thx Sab, nice to hear from someone who owned a whip im looking into. doesnt seem like alot here have a Bould whip. being light i think would be good, but not flimsy like a rope like Sab said.

ofcourse from what i hear and im sure is true, if i get this whip it probably wont be my last. if i get a 8 footer im sure im going to want a 10 or 12 footer to.
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sab04 »

yeah, i'm the only one I know of that has...or had a david bould whip. Also, his whips have a sort of indiana jones look to them. Another thing, the color roo hide he uses on his whips look really good for some reason....the color is really nice :wink: I ordered a medium brown and it came looking awsome. It looked like a natural tan than had darkened up over time, not just dyed brown.
-scott
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

Hello,

A friend of mine on the WE List has a bullwhip made by bould, from 12 plait cowskin(8foot) and he couldn't be more pleased with it, along with the nice
handling, you couldn't easily get him to part with it, thats for sure,
:lol: .

Mr. bould's whips do have an Indy like look to them, especially with the short handles.

Have fun with it, when you get it.

Cheers!

Jim J.