Who has a Wested Standard Raiders in a 40? a help! thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Who has a Wested Standard Raiders in a 40? a help! thread

Post by Kokopelli »

Does anyone have a Wested Standard Raiders in a size 42? Would you mind taking a couple of measurements for me? make that a 40

what is the pit-pit and what is the shoulder seam measurements?

Thanks!

I had a ~20 year Raiders that was a 42, I sold it because the sleeves were too short, but it fit great everywhere else. The pit to pit was 22" on that one...but Wested's site shows the Raiders at a size 42 has a 24" pit to pit, so now I'm confused. :-s

...I ordered a 42, but I think I need to go with a 40 instead,
My actual chest measurement is 40, which the site shows as a 23" pit to pit. So now I'm really confused.

Help appreciated!!

EDIT:
Last edited by Kokopelli on Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Who has a Wested Standard Raiders in a 42? ...need measurements, and a help! thread

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My Wested is circa 2000 and is labeled a 42 with a pit-to-pit measurement of 23”. I know that doesn’t help with current sizing, but it’s a data point for you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Who has a Wested Standard Raiders in a 42? ...need measurements, and a help! thread

Post by marker2037 »

Kokopelli wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:14 pm Does anyone have a Wested Standard Raiders in a size 42? Would you mind taking a couple of measurements for me?

what is the pit-pit and what is the shoulder seam measurements?

Thanks!

I had a ~20 year Raiders that was a 42, I sold it because the sleeves were too short, but it fit great everywhere else. The pit to pit was 22" on that one...but Wested's site shows the Raiders at a size 42 has a 24" pit to pit, so now I'm confused. :-s

...I ordered a 42, but I think I need to go with a 40 instead,
My actual chest measurement is 40, which the site shows as a 23" pit to pit. So now I'm really confused.

Help appreciated!!
If your actual chest is 40", then you need to probably order a 38, but at least a 40. I have a 42" chest, I typically wear a size 42 (Hero Raiders, Legacy Crusade), but for the new Destiny jacket, I sized down to a 40, as it has similar listed dimensions to the standard Raiders with the chest being one size too large.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The measurements Wested gives for the standard OTR jackets is accurate in my experience.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Well, it’s a moot point now.. I emailed them this morning to change it to a 40, (ordered on Saturday), and was told it’s too late unless I pay almost $200 charge for the change. :x
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you. But isn't the standard Raiders jacket a non-custom/stock jacket? They should be able to swap that out for you. At least, in the past they would have.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Sizing up on a standard jacket can be a good thing.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

EDIT- :clap: :notworthy:

They emailed me back- they were able to hold the order, so I can figure out what to do on the sizing...

They also said they recommend a 40 if my chest measurement is 40, so I'll assume they know their product and go with that. [-o<
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Who has a Wested Standard Raiders in a 40? a help! thread

Post by Thunderspy »

I have a standard (so this is the non-film 'streetwise' version) 40" Raiders in lamb from about six or so years ago I guess. Pit to pit seems like 22" when laid out with the zip done up (although I always have trouble measuring these things: you can stretch it out to 23" or so) and shoulder (from the collar stitch to the top of sleeve, is that right?) is just under 7". If I measure it across the back from the top shoulder seam meeting the sleeve to the other top shoulder seam meeting the other sleeve, I'd say that's about 19.5".

My chest is 40" by the way and it fits perfectly on me- I'm fairly average build. I had a 38" initially a few years ago but it didn't really fit right and the sleeves were too short. I wouldn't want it any bigger either: it's a casual fit but I wouldn't want it baggier. I think if you're a 40 chest then a 40 is what you want, I think you'll be fine.
In this chilly weather I wear it with a jumper and a quilted thermal underjacket underneath it and there's still enough room. I think I'm even wearing it in my avatar pic :lol:

Worst comes to the worst and you really don't like it: there's a new Indiana Jones film coming out soon- you won't have any trouble eBaying a jacket :D
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Thunderspy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:42 pm I have a standard (so this is the non-film 'streetwise' version) 40" Raiders in lamb from about six or so years ago I guess. Pit to pit seems like 22" when laid out with the zip done up (although I always have trouble measuring these things: you can stretch it out to 23" or so) and shoulder (from the collar stitch to the top of sleeve, is that right?) is just under 7". If I measure it across the back from the top shoulder seam meeting the sleeve to the other top shoulder seam meeting the other sleeve, I'd say that's about 19.5".

My chest is 40" by the way and it fits perfectly on me- I'm fairly average build. I had a 38" initially a few years ago but it didn't really fit right and the sleeves were too short. I wouldn't want it any bigger either: it's a casual fit but I wouldn't want it baggier. I think if you're a 40 chest then a 40 is what you want, I think you'll be fine.
In this chilly weather I wear it with a jumper and a quilted thermal underjacket underneath it and there's still enough room. I think I'm even wearing it in my avatar pic :lol:

Worst comes to the worst and you really don't like it: there's a new Indiana Jones film coming out soon- you won't have any trouble eBaying a jacket :D

Perfect!! That’s just what I was looking for- thank you!
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

marker2037 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 pm Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you. But isn't the standard Raiders jacket a non-custom/stock jacket? They should be able to swap that out for you. At least, in the past they would have.
Yeah in the past they would have just grabbed it OTR but now they're treating every order as custom. Personally, I don't believe it's all due to demand. I think it's more about masking the effects of inflation as well more tightly controlling their leather purchases and other materials. Instead of outlaying the cost of OTR jackets in advance and waiting to sell them, make them on demand and have the expenses go out as the revenues come in.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Illinois_Jones wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:49 am
marker2037 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 pm Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you. But isn't the standard Raiders jacket a non-custom/stock jacket? They should be able to swap that out for you. At least, in the past they would have.
Yeah in the past they would have just grabbed it OTR but now they're treating every order as custom. Personally, I don't believe it's all due to demand. I think it's more about masking the effects of inflation as well more tightly controlling their leather purchases and other materials. Instead of outlaying the cost of OTR jackets in advance and waiting to sell them, make them on demand and have the expenses go out as the revenues come in.
Yea, that's what they're doing then, which is fine by me and totally understandable.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

You’re right, I believe. From what it sounded like, once an order is placed, the pattern is cut and the leather gets sent elsewhere to be sewn together.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Yeah, back in the "old" days -- 3+ years ago -- they would stock a certain number of OTR jackets in the most common sizes in the three standard skins (lamb, goat, and P-D cow) so they could be dispatched same day. And restock as needed. But that's a big outlay of capital without knowing when it's coming back. The factory possibly also changed policy where Wested is no longer getting bulk discount on OTR jacket orders that was then passed on to the customer.