Wested Destiny Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Wested Destiny Jacket

Post by Thunderspy »

Oh that's weird, I've never felt my arms are restricted in any of my Indy jackets. So literally little armpit gussets?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

marker2037 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:54 am
Chose Poorly wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 pm Mine arrived today as well. Really pleased with it overall. Some quick photos here. Will post more in full gear later…

https://imgur.com/a/1YMjdXg
Looks great! How did you size it if I may ask. I am a 42" chest and usually buy size 42 from Wested (Raiders Hero, Legacy LC), but the reference size chart tends to suggest a size down on this one to a 40 based on the chest measurement, as a 24" chest for a size 42 is too large and roomy in my opinion. JonesboysUK on IG also sized down he told me. I will go with approximately a 24.5" back and 24.5" sleeves.
I measure at 42/42.5” chest and went with a 40 which I feel fits perfectly IF you are after a more tailored fit which I was. I love my Raiders jacket to death, but it is ill-fitting, as a Raiders jacket should be. I deliberately ordered this one to be a smarter fit.

I am 6’1” and around 185, althletic build, and went with 25.5” sleeves and 26” back. I probably could have gone with a 25.5” or even 25” back honestly, but I have a long torso so I am happy with the length, especially knowing it will crease and wrinkle some.

Also keep shoulder measurement in mind. The 40 has 6.5” shoulders which is pretty much my exact shoulder measurement. If you have broader shoulders or want a more droopy shoulder like the jacket you see on screen, you may want to ask for 6.75” or 7” shoulder. They will accommodate even for a smaller chest measurement. But if you do, it will affect sleeve length so you’ll want to come up a bit there to compensate.

I highly recommend getting one. I’m thoroughly enjoying mine so far!
Last edited by Chose Poorly on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Thunderspy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:39 am Oh that's weird, I've never felt my arms are restricted in any of my Indy jackets. So literally little armpit gussets?
Correct. Provides slightly better range of motion. I believe it was a feature on the original Raiders jackets but not the others. The screen worn Destiny jacket doesn’t have them, and having ordered my jacket without, I can’t say I notice much difference since the jacket fits properly.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Chose Poorly wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:08 am
marker2037 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:54 am
Chose Poorly wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:27 pm Mine arrived today as well. Really pleased with it overall. Some quick photos here. Will post more in full gear later…

Looks great! How did you size it if I may ask. I am a 42" chest and usually buy size 42 from Wested (Raiders Hero, Legacy LC), but the reference size chart tends to suggest a size down on this one to a 40 based on the chest measurement, as a 24" chest for a size 42 is too large and roomy in my opinion. JonesboysUK on IG also sized down he told me. I will go with approximately a 24.5" back and 24.5" sleeves.
I measure at 42/42.5” chest and went with a 40 which I feel fits perfectly IF you are after a more tailored fit which I was. I love my Raiders jacket to death, but it is ill-fitting, as a Raiders jacket should be. I deliberately ordered this one to be a smarter fit.

I am 6’1” and around 185, althletic build, and went with 25.5” sleeves and 26” back. I probably could have gone with a 25.5” or even 25” back honestly, but I have a long torso so I am happy with the length, especially knowing it will crease and wrinkle some.

Also keep should measurement in mind. The 40 has 6.5” shoulders which is pretty much my exact should measurement. If you have broader shoulders or want a more droopy shoulder like the jacket you see on screen, you may want to ask for 6.75” or 7” shoulder. They will accommodate even for a smaller chest measurement. But if you do, it will affect sleeve length so you’ll want to come up a bit there to compensate.

I highly recommend getting one. I’m thoroughly enjoying mine so far!
Very helpful, thank you! That's exactly what I'm going after, a smarter fit with this one. I already have a Raiders fit with the Hero and with my Relic Hunter so I wouldn't mind a bit trimmer fit in this version. We are about the same size, albeit I'm 5'10"-11" instead so I will opt for something around a 24-24.5" back with a 24.5" sleeve. I don't know the measurement of a single shoulder, but I am about 18.5" total shoulder width.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Is it just me, or would the straps look better if they were flipped over- so the seam is on the bottom after going through the rings??
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Kokopelli wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:34 pm Is it just me, or would the straps look better if they were flipped over- so the seam is on the bottom after going through the rings??
Well then they wouldn’t be like the screen used jacket
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

xmasters wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:09 pm The picture at the top of this thread, second down, shows a darker leather with more subtle texture. Definitely not the same as the brown dino hides I've seen being sent out so far. Almost as if they changed their mind on the leather at the last minute.
The skin grain seems to be really inconsistent from jacket to jacket. Someone just posted a pic on Facebook with really long side straps. Almost like it was custom request.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

giantthugee86 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:47 pm
xmasters wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:09 pm The picture at the top of this thread, second down, shows a darker leather with more subtle texture. Definitely not the same as the brown dino hides I've seen being sent out so far. Almost as if they changed their mind on the leather at the last minute.
The skin grain seems to be really inconsistent from jacket to jacket. Someone just posted a pic on Facebook with really long side straps. Almost like it was custom request.
So far every one I've seen has really long side straps. But I agree I have not seen any two jackets with the same grain and striation pattern yet. Which I personally like, but could see being an issue for some.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Chose Poorly wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:10 pm
So far every one I've seen has really long side straps. But I agree I have not seen any two jackets with the same grain and striation pattern yet. Which I personally like, but could see being an issue for some.
Which is weird because the film jacket has the standard short straps. Also the film jacket didn't have these striations and heavy arm grain from what I remember.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

giantthugee86 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:24 pm
Which is weird because the film jacket has the standard short straps. Also the film jacket didn't have these striations and heavy arm grain from what I remember.
Sure, but this isn't the film jacket. It's Wested's attempt at a replica of the film jacket. There will be more replicas to come from other makers. I know Steele & Jones is working on one, and I would be shocked if Kelso isn't doing the same.

I, as well as many others who purchased one, really love the look of the leather regardless of its accuracy or lack thereof to the one made by the wardrobe team for the film. One thing I can say is that it look the part much more when distressed, and it distresses VERY easily.

Knibs7 did his up very impressively. Perhaps he will be so kind to share some images here for those who haven't already seen it...
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Chose Poorly wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:09 pm
Sure, but this isn't the film jacket. It's Wested's attempt at a replica of the film jacket. There will be more replicas to come from other makers. I know Steele & Jones is working on one, and I would be shocked if Kelso isn't doing the same.

I, as well as many others who purchased one, really love the look of the leather regardless of its accuracy or lack thereof to the one made by the wardrobe team for the film. One thing I can say is that it look the part much more when distressed, and it distresses VERY easily.

Knibs7 did his up very impressively. Perhaps he will be so kind to share some images here for those who haven't already seen it...
Yeah I'd love to see his distressed pics. I've only seen the one he posted.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Chose Poorly wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Yeah I must admit, with Indy jackets a lot of the time I'm less worried about screen accuracy and just whether I think it looks like a nice jacket I'd like to wear! :D And this one certainly does: I think the more fitted look of it looks great, and although the leather perhaps leans slightly more toward Crocodile Dundee than Indy with its slight reptilian look(!), I think it looks really great, quality stuff. And you can already see that it'll age so nicely.
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

When I ordered my Legacy LC from Wested I asked for all leather pieces to have the finest most consistent grain so there wouldn’t be any surprise stirations or large wrinkles where I didn’t want them. If I order the Destiny jacket I will do the same so it would look closer to the set pics.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

My legacy last crusade was all smooth leather and I didn't need to ask for it. The legacy jacket leather is very consistant.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

The reptile grain is what is keeping me from ordering this jacket, even though it has all the other details I wanted custom made. Wested said they won’t make it in standard lamb instead, though, what you see is what you get.

My unpopular opinion is most of the Destiny Janets I’ve seen posted look terrible :CR: -one sleeve with raised stripes, one panel with elephant sized scales, another with alligator skin…all in the same jacket. One of the more consistent examples I saw was still very prominent lizard skin looking all over.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Kokopelli wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:00 am The reptile grain is what is keeping me from ordering this jacket, even though it has all the other details I wanted custom made. Wested said they won’t make it in standard lamb instead, though, what you see is what you get.

My unpopular opinion is most of the Destiny Janets I’ve seen posted look terrible :CR: -one sleeve with raised stripes, one panel with elephant sized scales, another with alligator skin…all in the same jacket. One of the more consistent examples I saw was still very prominent lizard skin looking all over.
I was about to pull the trigger and then I started seeing these pics coming in. It doesn't resemble the pics on the website at all really. Although I do like how it seems to come pre-distressed out of the box.
Last edited by giantthugee86 on Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Well that's the risk of getting the stretched/washed/shrunken etc leathers to bring out the grain. Especially from a more budget outfit like Wested; they're not going to put in that much time to match color and grain, nor are they going to discard much that doesn't match the rest of the batch. At best they'll use them on facings, under collar, under pocket flap, etc. And that's not a knock against Wested. They do a great job especially at the price point. But in that regard it's generally safer to get the more consistent leathers.

But my issue with Wested's Destiny jacket is that there seems to be something off in the pattern. Like it needs an extra round of refinement that they didn't put in and rushed it into production. The straps I've noticed often look comically too long like the old Hero straps from back in the day, but the collar looks haphazardly done. I remember saying when they first revealed it that it looks obvious they took a standard Raiders and swapped in an LC collar and flipped the straps, and Wested has sort of confirmed that. But there's something about the collar especially, but really many of the jacket's lines, that lacks finesse. Like the leather, the pattern also doesn't seem to match the prototype.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

While everyone was busy being underwhelmed or disappointed by the Destiny jacket, I went ahead and distressed mine to see how it affected the overall look and presence of grain in the leather. I quite like how it turned out. Pics added to my original Imgur album for anyone interested.

Ok, back to bashing now. ](*,)
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Nice!!!

What’s your technique?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Kokopelli wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:17 pm Nice!!!

What’s your technique?
For this jacket I mainly used a standard scouring pad. I did a pass referencing set and promotional photos to hit key areas where the distressing on Ford's jacket really stood out, then I did a pass to make it my own and even things out a bit.

Then I did a light, controlled water treatment on the jacket using a handheld mister and focused on accelerating crinkling/wrinkling in some areas that felt too flat/new (collar, storm flap, pocket flaps, back panel, straps). I also pushed the sleeves all the way up while damp and let them dry that way before pulling back down.

And finally, did a pass with a clear boot dressing ointment I like (Danner Boots brand). Similar to Pecard's but a little lighter and quicker drying.

And that's it... for now!
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

I got mine and I love it. It’s soft and fits like a glove. Bullet hole looks awesome.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

:WLWOP: :WLWOP:

I don’t face book, I want more pictures, please and thank you.

Croft :mrgreen:
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Without wanting to irritate Mr Croft further ( :D ) I was just swinging by to say there's more examples of weathered ones appearing on FB and they do look really nice. Are any of those members on here so they can post their pics?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah I've since seen a couple of distressed jacket pics that look a lot closer to the screen jacket. It's almost as if they had to selectively darken areas of the jacket rather than lighten them.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

knibs7 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:58 am Just got mine delivered

https://imgur.com/gallery/GWlGS4p
Can you tell me what what your actual chest size and height is and what size specs your ordered for the jacket?
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

marker2037 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:54 amLooks great! How did you size it if I may ask. I am a 42" chest and usually buy size 42 from Wested (Raiders Hero, Legacy LC), but the reference size chart tends to suggest a size down on this one to a 40 based on the chest measurement, as a 24" chest for a size 42 is too large and roomy in my opinion. JonesboysUK on IG also sized down he told me. I will go with approximately a 24.5" back and 24.5" sleeves.
I can't find this refernce size chart on the site! :( Can you give me a link, or point me in the right direction?
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Thunderspy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:38 am Without wanting to irritate Mr Croft further ( :D ) I was just swinging by to say there's more examples of weathered ones appearing on FB and they do look really nice. Are any of those members on here so they can post their pics?
I have pics of mine distressed on Imgur if you scroll to the end of the album.

Link here: https://imgur.com/a/1YMjdXg
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

Arch Stanton wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:31 am
marker2037 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:54 amLooks great! How did you size it if I may ask. I am a 42" chest and usually buy size 42 from Wested (Raiders Hero, Legacy LC), but the reference size chart tends to suggest a size down on this one to a 40 based on the chest measurement, as a 24" chest for a size 42 is too large and roomy in my opinion. JonesboysUK on IG also sized down he told me. I will go with approximately a 24.5" back and 24.5" sleeves.
I can't find this refernce size chart on the site! :( Can you give me a link, or point me in the right direction?
https://wested.com/en-us/products/the-i ... iny-jacket

It's on the page for the jacket if you scroll down. Just above the customer reviews.

Regarding sizing, I measure 42.5" chest and went with a 40 and it fits just right. I'm 6'1" and did 25.5 sleeves and 26 back. I could have done 25.5 or maybe even 25 back but I don't mind the length on mine since I have a long torso, and it has already come up a little in the back from distressing and wear.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Chose Poorly wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:17 pm
Thunderspy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:38 am Without wanting to irritate Mr Croft further ( :D ) I was just swinging by to say there's more examples of weathered ones appearing on FB and they do look really nice. Are any of those members on here so they can post their pics?

It's looking lovely, nice job!
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Chose Poorly wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:22 pm
https://wested.com/en-us/products/the-i ... iny-jacket

It's on the page for the jacket if you scroll down. Just above the customer reviews.
Thank you. I don't know how the heck I missed that all this time. I'm going to go with a size 38 then, which appears to measure 22 inches pit to pit, since my size 40 Legacy ToD and size 40 Magnoli Adventure Jacket both actually measure 22 inches pit to pit, and fit perfectly.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

I wouldn’t say irritated, just mildly curious to see one with out the heavy grain. ;)

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Based on what I've seen of peoples distressed Destiny jackets, I might still get one of these.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

You did a PHENOMENAL job good sir. Yours will be the basis for which I do my own when I receive it.
Chose Poorly
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chose Poorly »

marker2037 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 pm

You did a PHENOMENAL job good sir. Yours will be the basis for which I do my own when I receive it.
Wow thanks! I’m flattered. And happy to provide any process details when the time comes.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Work in progress on a Destiny Jacket using a Standard Wested Legacy Raiders jacket from a couple of years back.
Its not the washed lamb and not their latest legacy leather this has (or had) the slightly grey undertones but the surface takes a lot of punishment and comes up really nice when dyed with a combination of colours .. Cleaned. deglazed and thoroughly hit with P80 paper following the images I've gathered from online .. I'm going to knock the 'russet' colour back a little more but the feel of it seems pretty good currently.

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

once its dry I'll remove the shiny residue and see how she looks. I know the straps aren't correct but my head cannon says at what point would indy change the straps anyway! lol :CR:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Nicely done, I have one of similar vintage.
May see what comes of it if I ever get the itch to go at it.
What process did you use.
Mine, I hit with the dye too and it makes a huge difference.

The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Thanks man ... appreciate that, and yes I basically did the distressing first by knocking most of the surface off all over with Scotchbrite pads and then really went at it in key areas .. what's interesting about the Dial jacket is there no 'shadowing' left on seams like normal distressing so you have to fold over the paper and really go in edgeways to remove that. Then I used a deglazer all over tho you can use isopropyl apparently ...

Next up the dye put on with a wipe of 'dye prep' and I used Fiebing's Light Brown all over then a follow on of Moccasin Brown. My main thing was that the surface of the Dial Jacket seems dead flat (smooth) to me .. which was what I wanted when I asked Wested about getting a different hide on a DoD jacket, so that was more important to me personally as with a 'popped' surface it just doesn't look quite right to my eyes ..

I used the UK and Spain outside reference photo's s which seem to align colour wise as the base colour I was trying for because the Disney Expo display Jacket just doesn't seem to line up with any of those so I figure maybe it was a standby one or similar? dunno? .. and under the lights the colour looks almost green in places ..

its definitely where I wanted it to be looks wise .. it will take a day or two and maybe another pass of the Moccasin to even out but I'm happy to share the progress. I think you are right by the way that I'm out on the jacket dating .. I think it's older, or at least possibly to the end of Peters time... though it does have the gussets.

TC
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry, but I haven't seen it anywhere --yet. What type of zipper does this jacket have? Brass? Nichol? Etc.? Thanks! W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Have the answer: antique brass -- Wested just responded to me -- but thanks anyway. Hey 'Character' really nice work on that jacket! Very nice! You really brought out the color tones beautifully! W>
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Its calmed down a lot i'll post images of it as it stands where its less in your face colour wise now a couple of weeks on ... ... I'm really liking it actually and the 'Dial distressing is very distinctive ...
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

So I love the look of the leather but why did they make the collar flaps SO big? I saw them on Trent Ryan’s videos and they look huge
Ark101
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ark101 »

Anyone else get one of these Destiny jackets delivered recently to compare? Would love to see more samples.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Chose Poorly wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:35 pm
Kokopelli wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:17 pm Nice!!!

What’s your technique?
And finally, did a pass with a clear boot dressing ointment I like (Danner Boots brand). Similar to Pecard's but a little lighter and quicker drying.

And that's it... for now!
Great distressing! The leather dressing looks good. I like that it dries to a matte finish. How long did it take to dry? How does it smell on the jacket?
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

I received mine about a month ago, I’ll try to snap some pics soon. But I absolutely love mine, it fits like a glove. I’ve had US Wings, Tony Nowak, Magnoli and I think this one is my favorite. Every request was done perfectly.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

SFGiant wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:06 am So I love the look of the leather but why did they make the collar flaps SO big? I saw them on Trent Ryan’s videos and they look huge
Without wanting to belittle Trent, it may just be as simple as size of face to the collar size? I don't think my collar looks quite as large, so I'd guess it's a bodysize/face size thing, over the collar size somewhat? The wider and broader you are, the less the collar looks oversized, essentially? I've never met Trent in person, but I suspect that's the issue at fault here, over the actual size of the collar (which is bigger, but not overly huge...I feel)
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

fifthchamber wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:30 pm Image

Nice!

Yours looks very thick and heavy and heavy duty, is it? Like sturdy/resilient to damage?

Did it come weathered basically?
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

SFGiant wrote:
fifthchamber wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:30 pm Image

Nice!

Yours looks very thick and heavy and heavy duty, is it? Like sturdy/resilient to damage?

Did it come weathered basically?
It’s thick for lamb, but not an especially heavy skin, no.. This is the standard they’ve been using, so the same for everyone else on this thread! No difference..

And no, this was weathered by me over a couple of days.. Wested won’t do any of the distressing.. it arrived in fairly nice uniformity!

Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

I really like the look of it; great job.